What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• Options
    sheryansheryan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really enjoyed the game so far, and I only noticed the negative amounts in AH on Saturday morning CET (obviously as the number was rising, because I did not look into AH very often, just playing by myself, exploring, trying out Foundry etc.). Filed a Report telling staff that I noticed this strange thing, never got an answer.
    Though I only play on weekends and made some progress on my toon (leveling from 43 to 47 and found some blues), I would also vote for a complete wipe. Rolling back for only a few hours IMHO will not repair the damage done to game economics. Exploiters should be banned, but for sure (I have been doing QA for some years and know how to search code and logs) they will not find every mule account, even if numerous people would work on it for weeks and weeks. So why not try to be honest, telling us "yes, we knew that the exploit existed and we didn't fix it as it was not that easy to fix in a short time" - we are aware of the results - we will wipe everything and fix it, starting over again.
    THAT would be honest and yes, they would lose a lot of players, but maybe the remaining players will regain their trust. Again, rolling back for a few hours won't solve the problem from my point of view.

I would like to play NWO again, but I will not spend any money on a game that is full of bugs and exploits AND the company does not take care of it. Bugs will always be around, sure - but fix them!
  • Options
    chuey0chuey0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Woke up to all this. Let's see. The game these guys have spent so much time on has been exploited to the point of economic ruination by people who clearly had no passion or love for it. If I was working on this game I'd switch the power off and head home with a "screw you b*tch*s" attitude.

Regardless of how long these exploits have been in the game and what you think of the company, PW are working on it and trying to find a solution that’s fair to everyone (though everyone may not agree). Those of us who want the best for the game as a product or have invested in its development need to gather round them and offer support.

After they spend what will be nearly a day working to resolve this issue, I hope they spend the rest of this week answering some serious questions. We all know what they are.

Personally I’d like to see some sort of forum with devs and representatives from the gaming community where these questions can be properly put forward and answered. A lot of us have invested in this game and need to know why exploits that have existed since closed have lead us to this situation.

In terms of a service provided I feel we have all been let down, but I personally am willing to move forward because there is so much potential here, and I’m sure most of us here can see that.
  • Options
    fattynicksfattynicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    infexom wrote: »
    For all you broke a** bums talking nonsense about people who bought the early access pack:

Who the f*ck are you to tell us how to spend OUR money? You didn't make it, you aren't spending it, so shut your mouth. Instead of sitting back giving your utterly worthless opinion about how we distribute our cash, perhaps you should get a better paying job so 200 bucks won't determine whether you get to pay your light bill this month.

Also, for the dipsh*ts that will claim to have soo much money, but refusing to spend it on a game... so what? You don't see us saying you are stupid for saving, so why are you whining and trying (poorly) to insult us for spending? I mean, it 200 dollars. I spent more than that on dog food. Most people spend more than that on an impulse buy at Walmart. Get a better job

But see it becomes our problem when these people that dropped $400 on a video game don't have enough money for rent or food, and seek out assistance either governmental or otherwise.
  • Options
    nibby75nibby75 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Servers are up so go play.
  • Options
    justworknamejustworkname Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    Hm, 7 hours rollback - great, all progession I made yesterday with my friends is gone. I don't care about items / AD / AH while leveling, since most items will be opsolut when I hit 60, but TIME is important to me. How you gonna replace MY TIME I have spent?

Heres your prize... A free pass to play the game all you like and never have to pay a dime.

Cry me a river man. 7 hours of time... content you get to experience again.. Hell, there is enough content you can run those levels and never have to see the same content 10 times. Go do some foundry...

Why in God's name ppl are so anxious to get to the endgame of a game that doesnt yet have an endgame is a mystery. The journey is the goal atm. You were done a FAVOR by being rolled back (ok that is a little much.. but you get the point).

What were you doing at end game that was so amazingly different than what youll do to relevel?
  • Options
    shadowpwn691shadowpwn691 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How about give us a seven day rollback instead? That wud work better imo thats around the time this exploit started going public.
  • Options
    xxsanctuaryxxxxsanctuaryxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    alturen wrote: »
    Meh. It's a beta. I'm content being able to just read the lore and play the game at my own pace.

Equipment treadmill or not, it matters little. People who invest time and nothing else into this game have nothing to complain about.

If you've lost the six or so hours from this rollback and have something to complain about, your life choices are lacking direction.

I question your capacity to even realize what is trivial and what is not. Six hours of your life is gone. Cry me a river, your tears are delicious.

Deal with it.

Youre my hero....That is all
  • Options
    rajanixisarajanixisa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited May 2013
    kassadis wrote: »
    May 2013 interesting join date its the same with all of the other positive feedback so far anyone else noticing this
    Wow, a game that's been open to the public since this very month of May has a large number of accounts opened in may.

Must be enemy action, couldn't be coincidence.
    murdoche wrote: »
    The proper term of a felony is a serious crime like murder but the theft of money would be listed as a misdemeanor actually and depending on how much theft has happened subjects the person to stiffer penalties. Here is the terms of a misdemeanor to the us legal system whcih is who would sue for lost damages considering the company is based in the US. http://definitions.uslegal.com/m/misdemeanor/ Now the main issue is, all those piddly cheating <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> are based in countries that have no laws against the hacking going on which is the main problem. So most likely its lost even if they did get the shaft in some ways.

Many crimes can escalte to a felony depending on severity.
    -Rajani Isa
  • Options
    run3wolfrun3wolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    wastingsanitywastingsanity Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    greymasque wrote: »
    You didn't pay attention to the previous post addressing this.
    Banned exploiters won't be able to use the same exploit, so why ask for a wipe? It would remove all their work & they'd get nothing out of it.
    As for employees... well, my forum name is my @handle. You can find me in CO or NW under it. I activated my forum account to comment & ask questions about the open beta.
    The day after April 30 is May 1, which was the day after open beta hit, thus explaining the May accounts.

I think your tinfoil hat is on too tight.

Actually since the exploiting accounts would be banned. The exploiters would have to start new. So why not force everyone to start over. Plus I have seen them state that this issue has been around for quite some time even in closed beta.

Actually if you take a peak at the core profile it might reflect better activity. Then just a join date. Although it does not have NW on there. So I guess Cryptic games do not count.

I guess you haven't heard about employees giving good scores for the new Star Trek game or saying the game is working just fine for multiplayer when it was broken at the time? But then again we are talking Cryptic here. So odds are very little effort has been put forth.

For those that do not know, customer service is only available via ticket. They respond monday - friday from 9am-5pm and only once a day via email. Normal first contact is 5 - 10 days after the ticket is submitted. There is a 80% chance that there may be a misunderstanding during these once a day emails and proceed to mess up what you wanted in the first place. I lost my characters for approximately 5 days because of this and then had to get everything reverted because they couldn't do what I was requesting because they did not have the technology available or incapable of doing so.
  • Options
    squibshotsquibshot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    Let the Zone spam commence!
  • Options
    missurinemissurine Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, why are there so many people whining about how the exploit was around since closed beta? I'm sure they're aware of that at least at this point. They promised no server wipes so they're not going to wipe the sever.

Frankly they spent enough time on this to figure out what the most viable time frame to rollback was.

Everyone, calm your bushes.
  • Options
    dirtygrounddirtyground Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    run3wolf wrote: »
    shut up ! Servers are up

Yolo 420 swag muffins

inb4 exploits
  • Options
    greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pietro0815 wrote: »
    As a legit player i'm quite pissed about the rollback.

It was prime time in my timezone so i played almost the full 7 hours. (got loot and hit 2 levels).
    I don't understand why all legit players need to suffer. why do you not do a partial rollback (only Currencies for example)
    I guess large potions of the playerbase don't care because they where asleep that 7 hours and loose nothing except a bit of crafting time.

I thought about buying the founders pack but i guess that's out of the questing now. :(

Don't get me wrong, i know its open beta. I played in beta before but that never happend and looks quite unprofessional for a game that already uses real money. I'm used to having wipes / rollbacks in closed beta but once the beta goes real money, wipes / rollbackes are out of the question.

Phil

The closed beta had real-money transactions, too. All PWE betas do. Zen is refunded at wipe of closed beta, and open beta is actually a "soft launch."
    They likely cannot do a partial rollback, either due to coding or PWE policy. I know it's frustrating to lose those hours, but at least it's not days or weeks. This is the lowest-impact solution they had, so please be understanding.

Also: I'm guessing you didn't play in the EQ or WoW betas, or play Diablo 3 recently. All had similar issues.
  • Options
    genryu20genryu20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Dam so many people who dont read or use the brains they were born with lol.
  • Options
    czeslawczadczeslawczad Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    alturen wrote: »
    Meh. It's a beta. I'm content being able to just read the lore and play the game at my own pace.

Equipment treadmill or not, it matters little. People who invest time and nothing else into this game have nothing to complain about.

If you've lost the six or so hours from this rollback and have something to complain about, your life choices are lacking direction.

I question your capacity to even realize what is trivial and what is not. Six hours of your life is gone. Cry me a river, your tears are delicious.

Deal with it.

I adore people, who have no idea how much time is worth. Grow up.

Same goes for people crying they lost 7 hours. Grow up, suck it up, demand compensation. When declined use chargeback. Take your money back, invest it and your time elsewhere. That's what grownups do.

Regards,
    Kalantris
  • Options
    nflftwnflftw Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    UH, I actually did get a Heavy Inferno Nightmare from a box during the rollback period. You had darned well better have a plan for that, haha. I trust you because I feel like you are dealing with this well thus far, but if I don't get something for that I'm going to be PISSED.

And I bought my zen with money!!!! :(

My friend has a founder's pack and I was so happy to be able to keep up. And I was cool. Now I know why I saw so many people with them right when I got mine. Please don't let this very human tragedy go unfixed, Cryptic!
  • Options
    whogivsasheitwhogivsasheit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the players that Exploited the game if they do not get baned then give them a unmovable tag in game as EXPLOITER for an extended time so we can identify them and not team up with such ****`s as they there just to heart us and not help us to beta Test your game.
  • Options
    mentalist4mentalist4 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hy, in that time I just found 5 Rare items :(((( , and now I will loose them? This isn't funny!! :((
  • Options
    slaughterfallslaughterfall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow invasion of the Join Date: May 2013 Users and they all seem to be either defending the game or asking for a wipe. Employees and banned exploiters on new accounts?

The game entered open beta for non-paying players on April 30th. Not counting today means signups have been open for free players for 20 days. Before you say that signups would be higher on April 30th because people were waiting for release, anyone desperate to play the game could buy a HotN pack to get early access. A person would have to want the game, but not that much, in order to know about the free release and sign up the day it came out. To get non-dedicated players the game needed press coverage and word of mouth, which take time but can grow the playerbase exponentially. I'd argue that the combination of these factors more than nullifies any sort of launch-day rush that may have occurred.

Thus, it is reasonable to expect about 95% of players without Hero of the North titles to have join dates in May. Even if the real proportion is lower, I'd bet good money that people with May join dates are in the majority of free (non-HotN) players.

In conclusion, please try to use even the most rudimentary logic before coming up with conspiracy theories. If PWE wanted to make shill accounts it would be a trivial matter to change the join dates for the accounts they created.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    to be perfectly honest im glad to see the report feature is working and on a low tolerance. 24 hour ban? meh who cares. use voice chat for a day and leave zone chat turned off. way too much garbage and trolling being spewed in that mess anyhow.

Sorry to you personally if you truly did nothing to warrant the ban.. but i find it a little hard to believe that THAT many ppl really misclicked on your name in particular when reporting for spam.

Some guy was posting " ADD A TRADE CHAT ALREADY" over and over, and I responded with "THANK GOD FOR THE IGNORE FEATURE". Of course you have to say ANYTHING at least 3 times for people to see it at primetime hours, and with this guy going on and on and on repeating himself (and he was STILL saying it after I got muted) I said it a few times. I don't really feel I was "spamming" because god **** its the only way for something to be seen for more than a quarter of a second on a fully extended chat window.

I guess I was "spamming" according to the rules, but so is 99% of the rest of the community.
  • Options
    latefwlatefw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1,410/60.83% out of 2318 people out of maybe 10.000 total pop? Small percentage indeed, even statistically. This is a ****ing beta, no matter what they have promised about wiping, if this was a company with balls, and knew what to do after LOTS of exploits have been pulled since launch, and lots of ill gotten items and progression made, the final answer would be wipe.
    You can't keep whining about your progression, because it is beta, and even more so, because the game is full of bugs. And we could have our Zen back, too, as this too has been stated by the devs. I'm not a founder, because I found the idea of spending this cheeky amount of money on a free to play MMO in advance ridiculous in the first place, but I've spent money on Zen since "launch".
  • Options
    legionfulminautelegionfulminaute Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's the thing,
    From what I have read here there are people asking for server wipes left and right. But honestly, having a rollback is probably a better option.
    For one, people who have been playing for quite some time probably don't want to completely restart.
    2: This is a good test of how recoverable the economy really is. They can get more data on a screw-up then they can just throwing out values.
    3: This is Beta, I saw a post earlier with a pic of it showing it as a launched title, but that just means the site got their information wrong.
    4: They have already stated that they will get everyone a small recompense package for the time lost. Which, honestly is better than nothing
    So all in all, I respect their call to not give up the whole server over a couple of people messing around, and I would like to thank the cheaters, actually, for giving the Mods a glimpse of what they missed. There are almost certainly more bugs out there, and one major one was revealed, before it got too out of hand, I hope.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Wow invasion of the Join Date: May 2013 Users and they all seem to be either defending the game or asking for a wipe. Employees and banned exploiters on new accounts?

Umm the game was announced as Open Beta on April 30th. Many people did not play PWE games previous to this, and play it because it came up on another site and they saw D&D and were like "oh, lemme try dis" It stands to reason that many people would not have created accounts until a couple days after the announcement... or May 2013.

And way to go with your April 2013 join date broseph. You beat me by 2 days. Good for you.
  • Options
    lmn1182lmn1182 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would quite happily pay $20 or $30 for 7 hours of my life back. In fact 7 hours of my life is worth around 10 times that. Time is one thing you never get back. Perhaps when you grow up a little you will learn this. Still I was asleep for most of that time frame so **** happens.

I would say the game would be better off without all the whiners and trolls we've seen on the forum but then again I bet very few of those who said they will quit will actually do so.

Generally people just stop playing they don't take the time to announce to the forum they are leaving like anybody actually gives a **** if they are still breathing tomorrow let alone leaving a game.
  • Options
    lobotomizelobotomize Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is probably the best thing they could've done, in retrospect, since everyone else was asking for things that would completely eliminate the playerbase for the game (A total wipe? really?). Minimal Damage/Loss, the problem is fixed and being weeded out, and you even get a gift box.

Support goes to these hard working devs who had to wake up early morning, sunday, to the ravings of blood-thirsty gamers. It's a good game and I look forward to playing it when the servers come up.
  • Options
    iteries1iteries1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Question 1:
    I have received in game mail for buying under the price Astral Diamonds. One example: get 1 million AD for 14.99 at this site ???
    Are these the type of exploiters you are looking out for?

I can't recall the site for I just hit the spam report and you can just look up the blocked account. I have even done some website search engine on bing and google, you can find these folks everywhere. I just do not trust such site for they can get your ID and never get the goods you seek for they go in-game to transfer it to you. Then BAM you just give these 'gold-diggers' your credit numbers, etc to over draw your accounts. Only reason I did because of this down time and curiosity.

Question 2:
    You mentioned about some lost item obtained in that 7 hour period. Sadly for myself winning another Idol for 40k AD and there the sell back AD for Zen (guessing where this exploit really came out to losing real money in the game for the developers).
    Would you get refunded back any Zen you bought for AD and vice-verse in that time period? Plus, does that included recently transferred Zen from PW as well during all this downtime before knowing what is going on?

Last commentary to posters:
    If you really want to help shorten time for the developers and designers for any game. Make posts that is beneficial, constructive to them, not ranting or making jokes. They asked for posts for question, constructive ways to help everyone. Common curtsey can go a long way to any game, business and life to others. WE are only human and mistakes do happen and in a business on creating something new for millions to enjoy at once is not easy for everyone wants to do it their way, being selfish but in games you cater to everyone not the individual, power players, minority or majority, just everyone.
    Basically, give them a break. Closed or Open Beta you can't read all the reports of thousand of complaints that are in different languages, trying to understand what is being said. Not every report makes sense or caught. Sometimes from closed test to going open to millions more of testers something of data is lost, hacked or even just break down in mid stream in data input.

Okay, off soapbox podium.

Itty
    Role Playing.. it's an art!

"Builders are the Stage Mangers. Game Master's are the Directors to guide the story along. Characters are the Actors. All together they bring Role Playing Story's come alive."
  • Options
    stocklorestocklore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really tho think of all the Zen that has been spent over the past month with a wipe everyone gets it back np but then its all hitting the market at once not spread out over a months time plus since u have alrdy bought stuff that turned out to be <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> u want waste the zen on it again u will only buy what u now know is worth it hence they will be selling alot less zen for awhile
  • Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    lutungo wrote: »
    Doesn't work like that. Makes future server merges impossible and it also forces them to manage 2 different games.

No, the game is the same, only with new servers opened for a fresh start for who want it.
    They can merge the old 3 servers (the actual servers) without merging with the new servers...
This discussion has been closed.