test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous to have to pay $6 for respecing?

Comments

• Options
    notroarwafflenotroarwaffle Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it's a problem at all. I've already managed to respec twice for free so far.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mickst3r wrote: »
    I wouldnt be suprised if there is no free respec handed out though, seeing as they blantely love to overcharge stuff on the Zen store.

Should that day come, I'll join the ranks of the complainers. But it's not the way Cryptic has operated to date.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    You can see the paragon feats and powers before you allocate into them. On the powers, click on the bottom window of the character sheet under the power section where it says 'View Paths' and click the bubble next to the feats description to see the different feats.

Only partially. I can't see what upgrades they have.
  • Options
    northwind2008northwind2008 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    Yes, its idiotic. I could see using silver or gold, but real money is ludicrous.
  • Options
    wida1213wida1213 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, all those people saying there should be no respec at all, I think you are missing a couple of things:

1. This is not D&D.
    2. This is a MMO, where the skills are constantly being changed, it doesn't matter if this is beta or not, when it comes to the "official release" (if it ever comes lol), there will be patches too, patches where the devs will make changes on some skills to adjust them, this happens in every MMO nowadays and will happen here too.
    3. Making the respecs cost money you disencourage every player who wants to test different builds, or people that like PVE and PVP.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    What games charge more than $6 for a respec and why does having an overpriced service in another game justify cursing this good game with the same thing? Every other mmo I have played that was worth respeccing in had free respecs, even if they had no monthly sub.

Games my kids play (Wizard101 and Maplestory off the top of my head). I am sure there are others, but I don't feel like looking them up to prove a point to you. Sorry. And the "overpriced service" was the whole point of the thread. The TS asked if $6 was 'rediculous'. But I don't think $6 is overpriced. As I said before though, I do feel they should allow some free respecs during beta. Might even be a good idea to throw one in at 30 and 60 as well.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    cronerull1cronerull1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i agree,why not just make the use gold,you dont use it for anything else then pots or kits,so why not make the repspeck for like 5,10,20gold i dont care but real mony is just stupid.
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't know why they can't make it a gold purchase rather than zen, Greedy greedy greedy.
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, it's crazy. Those devs should just work for nothing and give everything to the players for free. They should just live in alleys and eat out of dumpsters when they're not at their desks coding. Charging real money... why the very idea... 6 whole dollars. It's a slap in the face is what it is.
  • Options
    inc0gnegr0inc0gnegr0 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wipe my *** with 6 dollars.
  • Options
    gsho22gsho22 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game is based on 4th edition d&d which lets you retrain a feat or power every level. D&D has respec too.
  • Options
    uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited May 2013
    ddamadd wrote: »
    Path of Exile = no respecs.
    In PoE you dont throw a boatload of money on your character. The attachment is way lower. Its no problem to level another toon for a different approach in PoE. Neverwinter is just too pricey to support multiple characters of the same class. Well, unless you have a goldpooping donkey in the basement ;-)
  • Options
    nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ddamadd wrote: »
    Path of Exile = no respecs.

PoE isn't an MMO.

that's a ****ty excuse.

PoE can also be played COMPLETELY alone. half of the content in NW is locked to groups. (dungeons, skirmishes, PVP, etc.)
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    chaging for respec isnt that bad when you can convert AD to zen, by anything more then $2 for respec is too much.

compared to most micro transaction funded games, including crytics other titles the prices on this one is one of the most outrageously priced malls, they need to rethink the definition of micro transaction because they obviously have it wrong, i can buy full games for the price of half the stuff on the market.

I think around $2 or the equivalent in AD would be ok, anything over that price is too limiting. That is still expensive compared to what I've come to expect these days, but I coud see myself paying that much a few times to try and come up with some fresh builds.
  • Options
    ff2nn2ff2nn2 Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    that's not the problem.

the problem is that many feats seem to be either: a) bugged or b) not working correctly. plus, PVE and PVP are two completely different ball games and classes like clerics and guardian fighters can have two completely different specs, etc.

it has nothing to do with entitlement. it has everything to do with it being flat-out ****ing stupid.

what if you want to try out a dps spec as a cleric? $6. what if you want to spec for PVP? $6. what if you want to spec for PVE? $6. what if you want to test out a different set of feats? $6.

$6 per respec is just ****ing stupid. stop trying to defend it.

i'm just glad they didn't take a queue from PWE and make respecs $20, as per PWI/FW/ESO; not sure if they're still $20 each, but back in '10, they had ridiculous prices.

Agree.

Classes are much too specialized as well. Even much more than D&D 4e.
    The gear restrictions are crazy.
    If you want to play differently, then pay or roll a new character.
    Motivation is probably the stupid game press:
    1) Less players complaining about end game. Many players will try another class.
    2) Many player account registrations.
    3) No deserted starter regions.
  • Options
    alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    It's abhorrent to say the least.

1) Even after paying, they pick the first 5 points.

2) You are forced to spend 2 of the first 20 points on things you don't want.

3) "Coming Soon" new Paragon choices guarantee respeccing at some point.
  • Options
    zarkheszarkhes Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    There already been an report from player who had somehow bugged encounters (didnt show somehow, cant find the post, its kinda lost in this waves of complaints) and try to solve that with devs.He got automailed message with links to forums and wiki.Having to spend money to fix bugs :D

This go on and on.Today i got free day, and instead of playing, im rather listening to music and having fun on forums...
    The game is kinda broken right now, people leaving (Start with 3 friends, i am only one left), players only stay for exploits and PVP...
  • Options
    kharnzorkharnzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    paying 6$ for a respec is too much you say? wow.
  • Options
    yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kharnzor wrote: »

Sure is. A lot more expensive than free like in all the other mmos I've played, and its even very expensive compared to the price of real cash shop items like cosmetics/ mounts etc.

Maybe you don't see the perspective that a lot of other mmo gamers are coming from. You see in other games, even ones without subs, I respec so often that it would cost me 100s of dollars (in GW2 case over a thousand dollars) to do the same thing in NW. Therefore it seems very kitten expensive.

Why do you think it is not expensive?
  • Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    We can respec feats with AD. Why not put respec with AD too? A bajillion of ADs, if needed, so if someone is in a hurry, can buy respec for zen, otherwise we can buy it with AD too...
  • Options
    kharnzorkharnzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure is. A lot more expensive than free like in all the other mmos I've played, and its even very expensive compared to the price of real cash shop items like cosmetics/ mounts etc.

Maybe you don't see the perspective that a lot of other mmo gamers are coming from. You see in other games, even ones without subs, I respec so often that it would cost me 100s of dollars (in GW2 case over a thousand dollars) to do the same thing in NW. Therefore it seems very kitten expensive.

Why do you think it is not expensive?
    Over the years i've played many MMO's and 6$ is pretty cheap. If you dont like it then plan your toon from the start so you can avoid having to pay. I am somewhat surprised that there is no way to do so in game however.
  • Options
    ff2nn2ff2nn2 Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    platinu wrote: »
    Yeah, it's crazy. Those devs should just work for nothing and give everything to the players for free. They should just live in alleys and eat out of dumpsters when they're not at their desks coding. Charging real money... why the very idea... 6 whole dollars. It's a slap in the face is what it is.

Most want to pay for what seems to be resonable effort.
    This is not easy with a F2P strategy.

But we want have reasonable prices.
    Like pay 10 € for infinite respec.
    Or 2 € per bag.

I paid 48 € for Guild Wars 2.
    I paid 25 € for The Secret World.
    What do I have to pay for reasonable comfort and basic features in this game ?
  • Options
    orangerascalorangerascal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you're respeccing you powers more than once your doing something terribly wrong. By 60 you should now which powers you like and which you don't.

You can respec your feats for AD.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    redlance wrote: »
    We can respec feats with AD. Why not put respec with AD too? A bajillion of ADs, if needed, so if someone is in a hurry, can buy respec for zen, otherwise we can buy it with AD too...

The AD respec price is also too expensive.

I know there is a culture gap/clash on this issue. On the one hand you have many folks coming to this game from games like GW1/2, WoW, WAR, Rift, Tera etc; and on the other hand there are the people that usually play f2p games, and also some folks who don't usually play mmos and come for the D&D world setting.

The thing is that for many people in the first group, who may also play f2p and love D&D, respeccing is part and parcel of the rpg/mmo gaming experience. It is a part of what makes the gaming culture in those mmos so vibrant, with entire websites devoted just to researching class builds/ new specs etc. No one ever finds the "ultimate build", but we love trying.

When this group comes to NW, I expect the majority of them think- "cash shop: cosmetics fine, mounts fine, bags…..well ok can live with that, xp boosters fine, but charging more for respec than 2 character slots….kitten crazy! Why the kitten is it even in the cash shop!"

Now the thing that astounds me on these forums is the controversy over calls for lowering respec prices. Why are people so dead set on having to pay a lot of real money or AD to respec? I can understand people being used to paying a lot to respec in other f2p mmos, or some D&D PNP roleplayers wanting to have no respecs (however misguided this logic is), but a cheaper respec price hurts no one and benefits everyone. So why would you even argue against it? Weird.
  • Options
    kypaccountkypaccount Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

6 dollars per respec is, absolutely. Every other MMO I've played I respec a couple times a day. Your solo build is not the same as your dungeon/raid build, and completely different from your PVP build. Your leveling build is not your endgame build. Hell, sometimes your first boss build isn't the same as your second boss build.

But even if we're limited to one build per character, it's still nuts, because that's potentially a six dollar fee every time the game is patched/updated. Something gets nerfed? 6 bucks. Something gets buffed? 6 bucks. New abilities? 6 bucks. New gear set that's overflowing with a stat you feated to shore up? 6 bucks.

And that's all after figuring out "your" build in the first place. Which will cost you 6 bucks per adjustment. And sure you could go cookie-cutter, but that's just somebody else's best guesswork - probably completely untested guesswork as well, because again, it's 6 bucks per respec.

Edit: Er, I realize that respeccing feats is not six dollars, and can be done with astral diamonds. I was just on a bit of a tear. It's still ruinously expensive to try any sort of build experimentation.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now the thing that astounds me on these forums is the controversy over calls for lowering respec prices. Why are people so dead set on having to pay a lot of real money or AD to respec? I can understand people being used to paying a lot to respec in other f2p mmos, or some D&D PNP roleplayers wanting to have no respecs (however misguided this logic is), but a cheaper respec price hurts no one and benefits everyone. So why would you even argue against it? Weird.

The only reason I'd be against lowering the cost is that it changes the game. Having it be free or even just cheap enough that its non-restrictive means players can (and will) respec whenever they want. Suddenly groups will expect you to have the perfect build for every single dungeon. You wind up changing specs just for a certain fight or boss.

Currently we can already do this with powers we have trained. I don't see a need to make it so we can change everything on the fly.

*All that said I do wish their was some way that players could experiment a bit. Perhaps tying the respec process to some sort of training ground or something. I'm not against players testing stuff out or trying new things. I just don't want to see the new standard to be min/maxing before each fight. As it is in some other games.*
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Over the years i've played many MMO's and 6$ is pretty cheap. If you dont like it then plan your toon from the start so you can avoid having to pay. I am somewhat surprised that there is no way to do so in game however.

Plan your toon from the start?

LOL! They don't even have the Paragon paths done!

Besides that... there are clear choices that say PVP or PVE in powers and feats..

We have to have 2 of every toon.. 1 for PVE and 1 for PVP?

Ridiculous bullcrap!
  • Options
    realr3sistancerealr3sistance Member Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    $6 is pretty expensive just for a respec, personally I think a Dual/secondary spec for $6 would have been better with a respec costing around 30K AD or the equiv in Zen. I also think the Feats respec is also overpriced for it's cost in AD.

I wouldn't mind AD prices increasing for every spec within a month and resetting back to default after 24 days without a respec tho if there was the aforementioned ability to buy a dual spec for $6 which you can switch between for free.
  • Options
    casiumcasium Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    terrycloth wrote: »
    I don't think it's a ridiculous price for a respec, but I think it's ridiculous that respecs can *only* be bought with zen. I guess 600*350 = 210,000 AD? Which is, uh, a large number. Although I guess if you do skirmish*2 + foundry*2 +invoke*4 at level 30 you get about 10000 per day so it's less than a month's worth.

...I think you should get at least one free respec per character, though. Especially since they haven't added all the paragon paths yet. Maybe something like a non-stacking free respec every month.

Yea.. and this is about the same amount of work a guild needs to acquire 1 ...yes.. that's ONE bank slot for the guild....def not sure if it's worth it since I have no way of knowing how many slots I'll be getting ...:mad:
  • Options
    rogerbestrogerbest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i was in love with game and i did spent a few euros to buy keys but after realise 6 euros for respec and boss mechanics is only spawn adds i want this game to die, but i know dumb ppl will keep suporting it

IF YOU PLAY THIS GAME YOU EITHER DONT CARE ABOUT MONEY OR ALRDY SPENT THOUSAND EUROS ON IT