test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous to have to pay $6 for respecing?

crysidiacrysidia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
It makes it a pain to try different spec and to min max your character. If you make a leveling spec or PVP spec for leveling up but want to PvE at 60, it leaves you screwed and force to pay if you want to have an optimal spec. I mean you could do the convert AD to Zen but the rate is abysmal. And if you want to respec multiple times to attempt different specs to see what you prefer or what is best, you end up spending all your AD on respecs.
Post edited by crysidia on

Comments

• knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No yoo jus haff to plan ur char an stufz iz no cherrity dey iz bisness ned maek monies yoo frealoder.

But yes, many of us think the price is stupid.
  • shamppershampper Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes. I understand the visual stuff and even the keys for zen. But having to pay for a critical part of building the best character (while leveling or at max level) is a little bit much. It actually is one of the few things that keeps me from rushing my current character (as well as other characters) to max level to experience the end game.
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think its fine. It makes you seriously think about your build before you just start tossing points everywhere all willy nilly. Honestly, I wished they hadnt allowed for a respec at all, but I wasnt in charge of that decision. Otherwise, no one would have respec, and you would have to plan your build ahead of time, or reroll. Make your build choices have consequences. Something these spoiled gamers now a days arent used to.
  • therealdestiantherealdestian Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Worst idea since crossbreeding flying fish and sharks.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't have much of a problem with being charged AD for a respec, although i'd like it to be a flat cost instead of ever increasing as you level. I've found myself constantly behind on the AD curve, although I'll admit I don't often max the meter on AD gain in a given day. I've played up to level 44 and still haven't caught the cost. I'm only about 5000 AD away from it though, but it's going to cost me about 54000 at level 44. It was a lot less at low level, so really you gotta fix those errors as soon as you make them. I just didn't realize that until too late.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • syfthewarriorsyfthewarrior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We shouldn't be forced to mingle with the poor in every game. Go away plebians
  • terryclothterrycloth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it's a ridiculous price for a respec, but I think it's ridiculous that respecs can *only* be bought with zen. I guess 600*350 = 210,000 AD? Which is, uh, a large number. Although I guess if you do skirmish*2 + foundry*2 +invoke*4 at level 30 you get about 10000 per day so it's less than a month's worth.

...I think you should get at least one free respec per character, though. Especially since they haven't added all the paragon paths yet. Maybe something like a non-stacking free respec every month.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it should be a reduced rate as $6 seems rather pricey. I also think anytime they add additional things to a class, such as the currently missing paragon paths, they should offer free respecs or at least reset everyones points. Also dual specs would be really good for people into PVP or even people that like to solo they might spec differently than when grouping.
  • nvmbanelingsnvmbanelings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    I think its fine. It makes you seriously think about your build before you just start tossing points everywhere all willy nilly. Honestly, I wished they hadnt allowed for a respec at all, but I wasnt in charge of that decision. Otherwise, no one would have respec, and you would have to plan your build ahead of time, or reroll. Make your build choices have consequences. Something these spoiled gamers now a days arent used to.

that's not the problem.

the problem is that many feats seem to be either: a) bugged or b) not working correctly. plus, PVE and PVP are two completely different ball games and classes like clerics and guardian fighters can have two completely different specs, etc.

it has nothing to do with entitlement. it has everything to do with it being flat-out ****ing stupid.

what if you want to try out a dps spec as a cleric? $6. what if you want to spec for PVP? $6. what if you want to spec for PVE? $6. what if you want to test out a different set of feats? $6.

$6 per respec is just ****ing stupid. stop trying to defend it.

i'm just glad they didn't take a queue from PWE and make respecs $20, as per PWI/FW/ESO; not sure if they're still $20 each, but back in '10, they had ridiculous prices.
    edited May 2013

Considering the game is constantly being balanced, the ability to respec your character is just as much for the devs' sake as it is the players. Otherwise, they'd have to make sure EVERY ability is equally useful and whatnot.

Also, many abilities sound amazing but are actually not that great and vice versa. Respec is a GOOD thing.
  • gotnksgotnks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I couldn't give two ****s about the price if we at LEAST got 1 free respect at either lv30 or 60 once we're (hopefully) not clueless as to what we're doing with the build. I'm approaching 60 on my Wizard and I would -kill- for a respec, both in powers and Feats.

You CAN respec Feats for AD only but the cost at 54 is 112k AD or so, 2x what I've gotten so far. I'd like to swap some other powers around too besides just Feats though. Wouldn't be an issue if Foundry Exp wasn't nerfed though, I'd just reroll instead and spend the time on non-exploitative Farming maps to get back up lol
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its a great idea and I really like that they flagged it out as a luxury.

Oh and the worst idea is flying sharks with friggin lasers mounted on their heads. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ddamaddddamadd Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    What would be a good price to fix all your past mistakes?
  • crysidiacrysidia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they actually made it completely clear that you had to pay to respec at the start and if you could see paragon powers before you started putting in points, I might think of it as acceptable. If you cant see Paragon powers before you start putting in points, you cant have a build figured out before hand because you don't know half of you abilities. Also, if they weren't planning on changing the powers. What if they nerf something and you don't want it anymore? Then you have to pay to get rid of it.
  • evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't think it should be on the Zen shop at all. Not that I'm against item shops or anything. I just feel that with Cryptic being able to re-work powers and such you shouldn't be forced to or feel forced to pay to fix something they caused. No amount of forward planning can help you with dev interference. And sure you can grind diamonds but that doesn't seem right for you to have to play a character you dislike, especially if youwern't the cause of the dislike, just so you can fix him and then hope he isn't mucked up again by another nerf/buff cycle.
    edited May 2013
    I'm not trying to defend it, I'm trying to get rid of it. This whole respec thing is stupid. People dont know how to build, so they cut and paste cookie cutter builds, and then they move into a different area so they repec and cut and paste a new build to suit the area. They have no consequence for their choices because they are privileged little twerps that dont know how to either build for themsleves, or plan ahead.
    Also, many abilities sound amazing but are actually not that great and vice versa. Respec is a GOOD thing.

The ONLY excuse for a respec is for bugged feats and powers, which should be GIVEN to players when they get patched so they reallocate if the new power uses dont suit their build. Again, I'm not defending respec prices, I'm trying to destroy respec. Totally different battle plan.
    crysidia wrote: »
    If they actually made it completely clear that you had to pay to respec at the start and if you could see paragon powers before you started putting in points, I might think of it as acceptable. If you cant see Paragon powers before you start putting in points, you cant have a build figured out before hand because you don't know half of you abilities. Also, if they weren't planning on changing the powers. What if they nerf something and you don't want it anymore? Then you have to pay to get rid of it.

You can see the paragon feats and powers before you allocate into them. On the powers, click on the bottom window of the character sheet under the power section where it says 'View Paths' and click the bubble next to the feats description to see the different feats.
  • dragonisloudragonislou Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's absolutely ridiculous. They don't give you enough information about specing your character, and the fact that you have to pay to change things. They don't allow you have different specs for PvE/PvP.

It's just a silly cash grab.
  • crysidiacrysidia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ddamadd wrote: »
    What would be a good price to fix all your past mistakes?
    In game currency would be prefered like every other game does it? It is not just about mistakes, it is also about being able to try other things.
  • vylent2vylent2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

The past games also werent riddled with bugs and missing a large amount of features aka paragons and full list of classes.
    edited May 2013
    The ONLY excuse for a respec is for bugged feats and powers

The power not doing what it claims to do is a perfectly fine "excuse" for the necessity of respecs.

The other unfortunate issue is that this game has a number of powers that are strictly PvE or PvP, including thread reduction/increase abilities which are practically essential for PvE but completely worthless in PvP.

In fact, you can put that down as another reason healers and tanks are hosed in your other thread.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes it is outrageously overpriced. Like many others have said respeccing is commonly used to test new builds, experiment, and push the boundaries of your class. You really have to go out on a limb atm to try something new because if it is gimped then $6 for every time you try to move away from the herd.

Other cash shop items I have no qualms about but the price of respecs- both the $6 type and the limited AD-type- are far too expensive.
  • evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm not trying to defend it, I'm trying to get rid of it. This whole respec thing is stupid. People dont know how to build, so they cut and paste cookie cutter builds, and then they move into a different area so they repec and cut and paste a new build to suit the area.

Unless Cryptic and PW were to ditch the item shop or make every item you buy Account bound that is a foolish thing. You wont keep to many customers if they mess up your build and suddenly find themselves with a gimped character who has a few hundred dollars worth of item shop stuff attached to him.
    edited May 2013

Another person who doesn't understand that this is an MMO, not DND.

There is no "planning".

The only planning people are doing is copying other people's cookie cutter specs because they don't want to risk taking bugged <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, which there is plenty of.
    edited May 2013
    The power not doing what it claims to do is a perfectly fine "excuse" for the necessity of respecs.

The other unfortunate issue is that this game has a number of powers that are strictly PvE or PvP, including thread reduction/increase abilities which are practically essential for PvE but completely worthless in PvP.

In fact, you can put that down as another reason healers and tanks are hosed in your other thread.

But if you know the skill is PvE, with buffs or debuffs to threat and the like, and you know your going to do PvP, then why would you take those powers and feats? You know your end game isnt PvE, why take PvE powers? Same holds true for the opposite feature.
    edited May 2013
    But if you know the skill is PvE, with buffs or debuffs to threat and the like, and you know your going to do PvP, then why would you take those powers and feats? You know your end game isnt PvE, why take PvE powers? Same holds true for the opposite feature.

I'm convinced these people are just trolls now.

Ignore them everyone.
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not really. Kind of expected it. Although at some point there should be at least one free respec token given in the level chests that are bound to the character in my opinion.
  • debarsdebars Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    yea, i think it is greedy as hell. Especially how they like to call this game "beta". If it is in beta then give us a free respec at least at lvl 60.
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    I'm convinced these people are just trolls now.

Ignore them everyone.
    To call someone a Troll is Trolling in Itself; no matter if it is true or not.

Mod's Rules of Conduct
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    Another person who doesn't understand that this is an MMO, not DND.

There is no "planning".

The only planning people are doing is copying other people's cookie cutter specs because they don't want to risk taking bugged <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, which there is plenty of.

I agree, and would add that in D&D there are no hidden or overly complex game mechanics which makes it easy to research and plan a build. In D&D you can also create a high level toon and play it against various encounters at any time to test how it plays.

This mmo is a completely different ball game. There are too many unknowns to be able to just plan out a character from scratch like you can in D&D.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no problem with $6 for a respec. I think its an ok price for it and would be fine... if the game was final. This isn't the first game to charge for a respec and it won't be the last. Some games charge a heck of a lot more than $6 to respec. Lots of games have less than optimal builds that people shouldn't really use.

The problem (imo) is that the game is so new that many players don't what works and what doesn't. Older games you can just search a bit and find detailed builds. But of course this is still beta where powers could change drastically. If a power/feat doesn't work and someone puts points in it they will want a respec. If someone avoided that power/feat because it was broke, they might want a respec when it gets fixed. Not to mention things not added yet.

Overall I think they should take the $6 price tag off until they are confident enough to say the game is no longer in Beta. That'll give current players time to figure stuff out. And hopefully by then new players will have more information available. Again, just my opinion.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR