test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rokuthy's Hybrid Tanking Build (GF) for End Game PvE (and PvP) content.

Comments

• Options
    pewpewandqqpewpewandqq Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    I would recommend Crushing Pin over Battle Trample if that's the choice you're looking at.

Can u answer for my questions? (comment #584)

And still the stalwart is best choice and the 22% armor pen after the patch?
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Still seeing 6 stacks of plaguefire from 2 players. Is the armor shred capped at 3? or did they manage to mess this up?
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Can u answer for my questions? (comment #584)

And still the stalwart is best choice and the 22% armor pen after the patch?

Yes Stalwart and 22%. In my opinion, Stalwart is the strongest tier set we have, especially since the patch - with increased threat there should really be very little downtime on the stacking power buff, which should edge it out over Timeless (even in a lot of single target situations - if you can hold aggro and take some damage, the Stalwart will outperform Timeless).

I haven't tested the new Plaguefire, however my opinion is, nerf or not, someone in the group should be using GPF - it just makes sense to have someone using it. And, again in my opinion, the person best suited for GPF is the GF / tank, etc. We should be the person constantly cleaving mobs, keeping good debuff uptime, etc. So I think we should stick with GPF. Whether or not it outperforms Vorporal is of little consequence.

As for this guide changing - no. The benefits from going full protection do not outweigh the DPS loss from Conq (in my opinion). The difference between the gear I use and full defensive stat gear is a whopping 6% damage reduction. Going full protection gives no benefit other than a 10% damage reduction debuff and a little more block - at the cost of MASSIVE dps. I don't think it's worth it. The spec was created as a hybrid and it has always worked because it's still capable of tanking while putting out serious damage, and that still holds true.

Now - with that being said, I'm not actively testing/playing right now. I keep the guide updated based on information I come across and hear from other players. If the overwhelming consensus is that with changes to Astral Shield (among many other changes) makes it so that this spec just isn't able to tank with our increased threat, then obviously adjustments will have to be made. But just from everything I've seen, smart play will outperform what another spec will give you. It may sound well and good in theory to swap into full protection, but when you sit down and really weigh what you gain vs. what you lose, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Again, that's just my gut feeling and I could very well be wrong. It's up to the rest of the GF community at this point to go out and see what does and doesn't work, and if this spec stays viable then I'll keep the guide updated. If it doesn't, then I will simply let it die.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • Options
    fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Tested GPF, bonus dmg is still 9% even with 6 stacks.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • Options
    piconsipiconsi Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi, your guide help me a lot to build my GF, Do you know if is there any "Perfect" Tenebrous that deal more damage (like Perfect weapon enchantments)? Or is Greater Tenebrous the top Tenebrous?

What do you think of Lifedrinker for Weapon Enchantment? It worth the lifesteal that gives you?

Thanks!
  • Options
    pewpewandqqpewpewandqq Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    Yes Stalwart and 22%. In my opinion, Stalwart is the strongest tier set we have, especially since the patch - with increased threat there should really be very little downtime on the stacking power buff, which should edge it out over Timeless (even in a lot of single target situations - if you can hold aggro and take some damage, the Stalwart will outperform Timeless).

I haven't tested the new Plaguefire, however my opinion is, nerf or not, someone in the group should be using GPF - it just makes sense to have someone using it. And, again in my opinion, the person best suited for GPF is the GF / tank, etc. We should be the person constantly cleaving mobs, keeping good debuff uptime, etc. So I think we should stick with GPF. Whether or not it outperforms Vorporal is of little consequence.

As for this guide changing - no. The benefits from going full protection do not outweigh the DPS loss from Conq (in my opinion). The difference between the gear I use and full defensive stat gear is a whopping 6% damage reduction. Going full protection gives no benefit other than a 10% damage reduction debuff and a little more block - at the cost of MASSIVE dps. I don't think it's worth it. The spec was created as a hybrid and it has always worked because it's still capable of tanking while putting out serious damage, and that still holds true.

Now - with that being said, I'm not actively testing/playing right now. I keep the guide updated based on information I come across and hear from other players. If the overwhelming consensus is that with changes to Astral Shield (among many other changes) makes it so that this spec just isn't able to tank with our increased threat, then obviously adjustments will have to be made. But just from everything I've seen, smart play will outperform what another spec will give you. It may sound well and good in theory to swap into full protection, but when you sit down and really weigh what you gain vs. what you lose, it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Again, that's just my gut feeling and I could very well be wrong. It's up to the rest of the GF community at this point to go out and see what does and doesn't work, and if this spec stays viable then I'll keep the guide updated. If it doesn't, then I will simply let it die.

Okay, thanks ;)

One more question, exactly which belt/neck you use in PVP? And with tenebrous enchant, right?
    And your weapon is same what you use in PVE? (I mean enchants, or you put other Lizardfolk with tenebrous?)

*** edit: I have 21 pt (standard) on conq and 5 pt on tactican. I have 5 points left, but I dont know what is the best choice. Battle Trample? Plate Agility? Improved vigor? Menacing Impact? Or what?
  • Options
    catamituscatamitus Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great guide! I have a question regarding the weapons though, is the timeless weapon and shield still the way too go after the patch or is the ancient ones better?
  • Options
    silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    i still think timeless is beytter base don all the discussion since timeless will give you power and the ancient one gives more defense at the end power is getting multiplier :) if you are poor valiant shield is the cheaper option
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • Options
    hkfrenchtoasthkfrenchtoast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What enchantments are you using for your armor (not weapon), beside the Chestplate?
  • Options
    kr0owekr0owe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    What enchantments are you using for your armor (not weapon), beside the Chestplate?

If you mean the Utility slots then I would guess Dark (runningspeed), its actually the only good ones for this slots...
  • Options
    alecstormalecstorm Member Posts: 142 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    When i put all the 5 feats in tactical superiority i never seen combat superiority icon on my enemies. Is the buff of combat superiority active or is bugged?
  • Options
    silver3137silver3137 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    thanks for the help in not gimping my char to much.
  • Options
    ramiauramiau Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    With the recent changes to 35% more threat generation on all abilities in the balance patch, do you think investing 3 points into potent challenge could be overkill, or stacking all the thread generation posible is always advisable?
  • Options
    kr0owekr0owe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ramiau wrote: »
    With the recent changes to 35% more threat generation on all abilities in the balance patch, do you think investing 3 points into potent challenge could be overkill, or stacking all the thread generation posible is always advisable?

I would say its overkill, no need actually.
  • Options
    granville7482granville7482 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just did a CN run and was able to hold all the agrro without it (And only aggrivated strike/enforced thread) so it's a waste.
  • Options
    silveralucardsilveralucard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 410 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    lol thewn in there we are going to use a respec just for that
    Everything works out in the end . If it hasn't worked out yet, it isn't the end...
  • Options
    zierzozierzo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Maxing STR+CON from level ability gains is the way to go, but prioritize STR over CON at the character creation is decrimental? From a dps perspective, besides the damage bonus more guard meter is useful for conqueror final feat, but on the other hand more 2 more con = 4% more hp > more damage from tenebrous enchantments for example

There is something more I am missing, what is the big bonus of CON in this build besides the HP and action point gain ofc, which already makes it very important, but more than STR?

Thanks you ;-)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zierzo wrote: »
    Maxing STR+CON from level ability gains is the way to go, but prioritize STR over CON at the character creation is decrimental? From a dps perspective, besides the damage bonus more guard meter is useful for conqueror final feat, but on the other hand more 2 more con = 4% more hp > more damage from tenebrous enchantments for example

There is something more I am missing, what is the big bonus of CON in this build besides the HP and action point gain ofc, which already makes it very important, but more than STR?

Thanks you ;-)

Stalwart Bulwark? I got 30174HP (24 Con) and have about 13400 Power full stack atm and I still got alot to upgrade.
  • Options
    mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Tenebrous enchants. It gives a % of your health as damage every 10 seconds. It is why currently you see everyone wearing +HP items in pvp and one shotting everyone.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    re7joice wrote: »
    Rokuthy what is the name of greaves you're transmuting from stalwart bulwark? thanks.

Nevermind, dont remember the name, and i read it as gloves... Lol!
  • Options
    etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    mhblis1 wrote: »
    Tenebrous enchants. It gives a % of your health as damage every 10 seconds. It is why currently you see everyone wearing +HP items in pvp and one shotting everyone.

5 sec. Get your op **** right.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • Options
    mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Check again its 10 always has been. Hasn't changed yet. But then I didn't expect much from you to start with.

Royk said he was using Steel Bulwark a while back but that may have changed.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    have you notice after the loot system chaneg prices are all up XD lol i think only accesories continue the same (neck, rings, clothes) lol quite interesting XD hope to get one timeless sword and shield cheap XD but i doubt it
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    mhblis1 wrote: »
    Check again its 10 always has been. Hasn't changed yet. But then I didn't expect much from you to start with.

Royk said he was using Steel Bulwark a while back but that may have changed.

Greaves are not Steel Bulwark, the rest are though.

I think they are called High Geaneral Greaves but im not sure and I cant enter game atm to check it either. :/
    have you notice after the loot system chaneg prices are all up XD lol i think only accesories continue the same (neck, rings, clothes) lol quite interesting XD hope to get one timeless sword and shield cheap XD but i doubt it

It's been harder to earn AD in my opinion but market has allways gone up and down. :P
  • Options
    karnsonkarnson Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I've noticed that its its darn hard as a new 60 GF, espec with the Stalwart helm around 1mill AD's ...
  • Options
    fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I actually consider Necromancer Rings a good alternative, since with 4pc Stalwart HP enchants = Power Enchants.
    And Ancient Necro's are dirt cheap.

Although, for PvP, you probably want Control still for that Tenebrous.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    yes ancient Necro seems a good cheaper options you can buy almost 3 necros for the prize or one grand control lol

also will increase your GS XD lol

well i just make the calc is basically the same XD for PVE or PVP you just need to make some changes for instance all of your rings, neck, waist shirt and pants slots can change to radiant, and also change one in the cat the neck probably :) and basically you are going to sacrifice 92 arPen and Gain 93 Power.

and well for pvp i think we need to test cause 258 power lost i think is a good number to make the difference, if you are using Tenes and Stalwart, with timeless i think is less probelmatic
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    karnson wrote: »
    I've noticed that its its darn hard as a new 60 GF, espec with the Stalwart helm around 1mill AD's ...

Yes idd, and most ppl just hitting 60 wont make it at MD, i tryed, many times, i knew how the fight was and had 10k+ GS but not many ppl do cuz they usually pass this dungeon at lvl 34-35 and get into the dungeon with 6,3k GS (requirement), but you could get it from DD in other dungeons, my second stalwart helm i got from DD in MD helping out some guildmembers.

Dunno if i sold helm yet but i has/had it on Dragon for ~822k, cheapest on AH.
  • Options
    imagine321imagine321 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What enchants do you use for your main gear, as head, greaves etc.?

Also, where does the Necklace and rings drops?