test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Graphics performance is really sub-par and something much be wrong

mikael74mikael74 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have the GTX 660 Ti graphics card, it's even factory overclocked on both the GPU and the graphics memory and in the area in and near the Temple of Tyr my FPS sometimes dips below the 20's.

Should I really have that low FPS with this graphics card?

Something must be wrong...
I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.
Post edited by mikael74 on

Comments

• Options
    dendrobates0825dendrobates0825 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this game requires a strong processor in addition to a good video card.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    this game requires a strong processor in addition to a good video card.

I have the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz.
    I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.
  • Options
    jroutjrout Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mikael74 wrote: »
    I have the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz.

There's the bottleneck.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jrout wrote: »
    There's the bottleneck.

Where? 7890
  • Options
    eyewishuheaveneyewishuheaven Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have an gtx 660 ti paired with an AMD FX8350 4.0 ghz. Only place I have frame drops is the Hall of justice/Auction areas where I may dip to 30-40. I consistently stay around 60-100 in any other area. Sounds like a CPU issue to me.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have an gtx 660 ti paired with an AMD FX8350 4.0 ghz. Only place I have frame drops is the Hall of justice/Auction areas where I may dip to 30-40. I consistently stay around 60-100 in any other area. Sounds like a CPU issue to me.

CPU issue... hahahaha you are funny.

This game isn't graphics intense enough to bottleneck a duo core CPU.
  • Options
    dendrobates0825dendrobates0825 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Several people have suggested it's the CPU. If you don't want to believe us then don't but we tried to tell you.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So you ask for advice, and get advice from several people, and then tell them THEY are wrong? Lol ok, believe what you want then.
  • Options
    eyewishuheaveneyewishuheaven Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not trying to be funny just saying that that's where your issue may be. That processor's performance benchmarks are pretty low. A weak processor paired with a strong card can produce bottlenecks.
  • Options
    emeseyeemeseye Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello OP!

I've encountered the same problems, I have the same Graphics card as you and an Intel Core i5-3570 3.8GHz CPU.

My fpsgraph looks like this.

213b5s.jpg

The purple lines are frame stalls, moments when the game actually freezes for a period of time (usually in ms)

So the problem is not with the CPU.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    did you run the new nivida driver update ? came out mid april .
  • Options
    saucynoodlessaucynoodles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Your CPU is out of date, and is garbage. Why would you even get a 660ti with such a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> processor... Learn to build your own pc it's cheaper than buying some overpriced factory model pos.
  • Options
    quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not trying to be funny just saying that that's where your issue may be. That processor's performance benchmarks are pretty low. A weak processor paired with a strong card can produce bottlenecks.

^
    this

But if he thinks that processor isn't the problem *shrug*
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • Options
    aspoon003aspoon003 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will say, for a game with such bad graphics, it does seem to take a lot to run it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    emeseye wrote: »
    Hello OP!

I've encountered the same problems, I have the same Graphics card as you and an Intel Core i5-3570 3.8GHz CPU.

My fpsgraph looks like this.

213b5s.jpg

The purple lines are frame stalls, moments when the game actually freezes for a period of time (usually in ms)

So the problem is not with the CPU.

That was what I thought.

It could be the drivers for the graphics card... I have the latest 314.22 drivers and there might be where the issue is.
  • Options
    batubabatuba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    It might be your game is running with your integrated card and not your good graphics card. there is two things you can do. Go to graphics tab and then click the trouble shooting. From there see if its running on direct x9 or 11. change it to 11. Also right click the .exe file and tell it to run the correct graphics card
  • Options
    crazydavey804crazydavey804 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your CPU is out of date, and is garbage. Why would you even get a 660ti with such a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> processor... Learn to build your own pc it's cheaper than buying some overpriced factory model pos.

I'd have to agree. That processor is super old, pushing 5 years. Probably time for a CPU update.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    batuba wrote: »
    It might be your game is running with your integrated card and not your good graphics card. there is two things you can do. Go to graphics tab and then click the trouble shooting. From there see if its running on direct x9 or 11. change it to 11. Also right click the .exe file and tell it to run the correct graphics card

I don't have any integrated graphics.
  • Options
    snooseysnoosey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the same card as you, and I do fine.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'd have to agree. That processor is super old, pushing 5 years. Probably time for a CPU update.

Yeah it's old but technology haven't advanced much... Intel thought that it would have 10GHz CPUs by 2010.
  • Options
    neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd be willing to say it's your cpu also but if someone with a better cpu and the same card is having issues then, I dunno. Still upgrading your cpu wouldn't be a bad idea with a 660. New intel cpus are coming in june btw.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    snoosey wrote: »
    I have the same card as you, and I do fine.

What drivers do you use?
  • Options
    neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mikael, get the 320 beta drivers
  • Options
    snooseysnoosey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    neolithe wrote: »
    I'd be willing to say it's your cpu also but if someone with a better cpu and the same card is having issues then, I dunno. Still upgrading your cpu wouldn't be a bad idea with a 660. New intel cpus are coming in june btw.

I have the same card and 8 core amd FX 8350 ~4.0 ghz and I do just fine with max settings and streaming.
    What drivers do you use?

314.22 It looks like. I just use the program Nvida offers. Geforce Experience. keeps it up to date.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I built this computer myself back in 2009.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    neolithe wrote: »
    Mikael, get the 320 beta drivers

Are they optimized for Neverwinter?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Yeah it's old but technology haven't advanced much... Intel thought that it would have 10GHz CPUs by 2010.

They have actually advanced A LOT but instead of advancing in GHz they have advanced through multi-core support. The newer processors are much, much faster but they aren't directly faster in GHz rating.

It's hard to explain and really goes above and beyond me but while a core2duo should be able to run the game just fine you may experience some bottlenecking at higher graphics settings due to the, truly, much slower processor.

Just to give a bit of an analogy...
    You have two people. One is labelled GPU and one is labelled CPU. They are tied together and have to run a mile sprint.
    The GPU is an Olypic track star and the CPU is me.

The GPU may be an Olympic Tack Star but if he's dragging my sorry behind around he's going to be held back and only able to deal with my speed limit.

GPU's exist to take the strain off the central processing unit but they work together, hand in hand. One can't be too much faster than the other or you will end up with a bottleneck. :)

And yes the NVidia 320 drivers should be optimized for Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Ok I will try the 320.00 beta drivers.
  • Options
    vikoonvikoon Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aspoon003 wrote: »
    I will say, for a game with such bad graphics, it does seem to take a lot to run it.

Way to contribute to the conversation. All you have is bad things to say about the game, so why do you bother playing it? Let alone taking the time to rip people on the forums that are enjoying the game. Back to your bridge!
  • Options
    darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

your a funny guy, so you have a duel Core CPU and your going to tell us that the bottleneck is not your CPU?

Okay, I guess you must have skipped CPU class 101. first off dude, not all games are driven by the GPU. many are still driven by the CPU and supported by the GPU for graphics. And having a Duel Core CPU is defiantly your problem. try upgrading.

I have the exact same card you have, but the difference is my MB and CPU is a Quad Core i7 3.5 Ghz. I never experience Lag downs caused by graphics.

Gotta love how some of these kids come in and right away start blaming the game. lets not blame your own pc for issues right?