test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will You Buy a Founder's Pack?

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Where's the I can't afford it being broke and jobless?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    brewsterx wrote: »
    The game itself is free, last I heard. You don't have to buy it, it's a free client. Your other points are exactly what I was getting at though.

Correct, you don't actually buy the game. It's free.

As for judicature's other concerns I imagine we can comfortably assume the in-game store will be similar to any number of other F2P games meaning companions, mounts, character slots will most likely be purchasable. Equipment is a maybe although they've stated there is no pay to win which usually means powerful equipment is out, but vanity equipment is likely.
  • jalex4jalex4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    II’m in the fortunate position that I could afford the Hero pack if I so chose. In fact I had pretty much made up my mind to buy it. But now I’m struggling to see whether it offers decent value for money or not. Exactly how much would 750,000 Astral Diamonds buy me? If I bought the items in the pack individually from the store, how much would they cost? I don’t mind being asked for this large amount of money - but I do think more effort is needed to justify the cost.

Also have to say that I’m very disappointed that the higher value packs don’t include everything from the lower value ones. I would personally much prefer the armoured horse to the armoured spider, but there’s no way I would buy both the Hero and Guardian packs in order to get it.

Think I’ll wait a few days and see what further info comes out. I do wonder though whether the decision to start selling these packs at a time when there are so many unanswered questions bodes well for the future.
  • popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I shamefully bought Hero pack but am of the opinion that it seems pretty steep at first glance. I would like to see a true official break down of each item in the packs and their actual worth if you had to buy them from the store. That includes the 750,000 astral diamonds.

My decision to buy was based on a few things. I wanted to support the games development and wanted the race and spider mount but I can certainly understand those concerned about the value and whether it's ultimately worth the money.
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    up until they announced that the 200 dollar pack didnt include the lower priced versions i had my visa in ready mode by keyboard :)

now its slipped back into my secret hideaway, doesnt help either that they want me to pay 25% extra for living in europe.

If/when they give out information about the price of each item and wether or not they'll be in store after launch, i will take another look on buying a pack or not.
  • chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wish I could mix items from each pack. Don't like the spider, love the horse. Like the panther, not fond of the dire wolf. :p
  • brewsterxbrewsterx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Has nothing to do with being broke or jobless. It has to do with lack of information. As in I don't know if this is just another mmo, if it's D&D, or if it's a mix of the two. They've been tight lipped about everything, which is fine up until they start offering packs for "X" price. At that point....how do we know what anything's worth? How do we know we'll even want to play this game?

By the way, nice response to the community Mr. Moderator.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013

Alright, there seems to be a bit of confusion.
    He was talking about himself, not people who aren't paying.

He called himself broke and jobless, noting there is not a poll option for him.
    Hopefully that settles any animosity.
  • slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    perhaps he should edit and make that clear, kinda hard to tell.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Has nothing to do with being broke or jobless. It has to do with lack of information. As in I don't know if this is just another mmo, if it's D&D, or if it's a mix of the two. They've been tight lipped about everything, which is fine up until they start offering packs for "X" price. At that point....how do we know what anything's worth? How do we know we'll even want to play this game?

As noted I'm talking about me!

That taste you are experiencing is from the heel as your foot is removed from your mouth as this is how you replied to a broke jobless person. Fortunately I give people second chances.

All you have to do is buy me...one $199.99 founders pack. See I'm reasonable. :) (joking on the have to buy and foot in mouth no personal attack if anybody's worried)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Interesting, 212 votes and three out of four [will|would] buy the founders pack.
    This tells me, the packs aren't too expensive :)
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

I am in the same boat, but I have been saving money for the new Xbox, and then won $30 playing poker the other day so I had enough to buy the $60 pack.So I still have about $70 in my gaming/xbox fund so I think I will be fine.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As noted I'm talking about me!

Lol somebody failed perception check. I will join you in being broke. I overstretched my expenses this month pretty badly :'(

If only they could release the game last year as they promised ...
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    slambit wrote: »
    perhaps he should edit and make that clear, kinda hard to tell.

Actually no it isn't...
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited January 2013
    Cant see spending money on a game I havent event had a chance to try...I dont even know if itll run well on my computer so why dish out money for all I know gets 5 fps on release lol

Or maybe I completely hate the gameplay...who knows. Honestly from the gameplay videos it looks great and I havent had any issues with cryptic's other games, assuming theyre using the same engine. PWI is a large corporation and shouldnt really need a semi-kickstarter for one of its upcoming games (which basically paying for a beta key is) So ill pass and just keep on waiting.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    We got a few reports about it so apparently it was.
    To those who have seen Truth post on the forums I think it was pretty obvious but to the new users who aren't familiar with him I can see why they would see his post as insulting.

So I wrestled him over here to make amends and clear things up after we got multiple complaints. His humor is still showing through though. :rolleyes:

Let's not bicker about whether truth's comment was easily recognized or not though! That won't end well.
    No, no, no. Not at all.
    edited January 2013
    Actually no it isn't...

good for you, but since more than 1 got the wrong impression, maybe just maybe, it could have been phrased better.
  • blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    ya know, the excuse of "i cant see buying a game i havent even gotten to try" is invalid, i buy games all the time without trying them, what they needed was only to show more in-game footage was all as far as i was concerned, and yes beta access is always nice(but is really for testing purposes, not a trial run), anyway i see all sides of these arguements but im not worried being as im buying a pack right now...:P
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    Interesting, 212 votes and three out of four [will|would] buy the founders pack.
    This tells me, the packs aren't too expensive :)

And above it a similar number saying that the price is insane. So, an equivalent number of people think it's outrageously priced.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    And above it a similar number saying that the price is insane. So, an equivalent number of people think it's outrageously priced.

Where exactly? Not in this poll...
  • zarcain003zarcain003 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I think you guys are missing the point here. This game is a business. All businesses need money to survive. You are not being charged to play beta. Playing beta is free... If you get picked. I think what they did here is a great idea. Those of you that are complaining must be part of the general public, or just like to complain.. either way, betas are not for you. I think we need a new perspective here...

The people who are buying these packs are buying them for 1 of 2 reasons;

1. They really like D&D/MMO's and want to show their support for this game and they want to start playing as soon as possible.
    OR
    2. They are Beta addicts. They love playing any kind of beta..FPS, MMO, RPG, Strategy.. it doesn't matter! any kinda beta will do! They want to find something wrong with the game, turn it in and watch it get fixed on the next beta.

Hello, my name is Zarcain003, and I am a Beta addict. I don't always get picked to play beta so i'm glad that some games have a guaranteed way of getting in. I already got in with PC Gamer but it wasn't enough. I set aside $60 to get my fix with a Guardian pack, BUT, I also grew up playing D&D and when I was young we always found a way to get the money for all those books, dice, miniatures, and a real 2 handed sword. We didn't use it all, but we had it, and it wasn't cheep. So I figured what the hell... I have the money, i'll get myself the Hero pack. Not because I have to, but because I want to. Thank you for reading.
  • chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Just found out I'm getting more money than I thought I would early next month. Guess where it's going. :p
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Aaaannnd. Guardian pack has been purchased. I wonder if the level restriction to try out the Foundry will be in place during the beta. It looks very interesting.
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
  • falchoinfalchoin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 386 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Maybe if it was some other company other than Cryptic I'd buy the starter pack. However my faith in Cryptic is nil given the current state of Champions Online. I'll try Neverwinter and put money towards useful/fun things if I enjoy the game, however I will not spend money before I can play.

I laughed out loud when I saw the supposed $549 "value" tag on the $200 hero pack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • brewsterxbrewsterx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zarcain003 wrote: »
    I think you guys are missing the point here. This game is a business. All businesses need money to survive. You are not being charged to play beta. Playing beta is free... If you get picked. I think what they did here is a great idea. Those of you that are complaining must be part of the general public, or just like to complain.. either way, betas are not for you. I think we need a new perspective here...

The people who are buying these packs are buying them for 1 of 2 reasons;

1. They really like D&D/MMO's and want to show their support for this game and they want to start playing as soon as possible.
    OR
    2. They are Beta addicts. They love playing any kind of beta..FPS, MMO, RPG, Strategy.. it doesn't matter! any kinda beta will do! They want to find something wrong with the game, turn it in and watch it get fixed on the next beta.

Hello, my name is Zarcain003, and I am a Beta addict. I don't always get picked to play beta so i'm glad that some games have a guaranteed way of getting in. I already got in with PC Gamer but it wasn't enough. I set aside $60 to get my fix with a Guardian pack, BUT, I also grew up playing D&D and when I was young we always found a way to get the money for all those books, dice, miniatures, and a real 2 handed sword. We didn't use it all, but we had it, and it wasn't cheep. So I figured what the hell... I have the money, i'll get myself the Hero pack. Not because I have to, but because I want to. Thank you for reading.

This is very misleading. I have beta tested over thirty games in the last six or seven years, and never once have I paid to do it. I didn't sit in game ignoring bugs so I could see everything in the game. I spent countless hours filling out bug reports and trying to reproduce bugs in each game. This has to do with ensuring a game comes out with the best quality it could possibly have. As for paying to get into a beta, it's not something I would do. I wouldn't pay someone to work for them.

Some people are complaining about the price, and to them I say....the price isn't an issue. My complaint is that with so little information on the game, across the board, I have no idea whether these packs are actually worth what they're charging. And lets face it, I would be willing to bet the majority of people who buy these packs to get into beta will probably not fill out a single bug report.

And more to the point, I'm getting a general sense that what these packs and the other ways to get "beta" keys is more of a preview of the game rather than an actual beta. This is based off the supposed release date of "Early 2013". If that's the case, that would honestly make these packs even more acceptable. The true purpose of a beta is finding bugs/broken content and stress testing servers.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »

Yup, plus also an option for "none" getting the next higher number of votes and one for "I think they are stupid" next in votes after that, followed in votes by one calling the OP an idiot for starting this thread. All in all (as of this post) there are actually a roughly equal number of people essentially saying that they are not buying any of the packs as there those buying them.
    This is very misleading. I have beta tested over thirty games in the last six or seven years, and never once have I paid to do it. I didn't sit in game ignoring bugs so I could see everything in the game. I spent countless hours filling out bug reports and trying to reproduce bugs in each game. This has to do with ensuring a game comes out with the best quality it could possibly have. As for paying to get into a beta, it's not something I would do. I wouldn't pay someone to work for them.

Some people are complaining about the price, and to them I say....the price isn't an issue. My complaint is that with so little information on the game, across the board, I have no idea whether these packs are actually worth what they're charging. And lets face it, I would be willing to bet the majority of people who buy these packs to get into beta will probably not fill out a single bug report.

And more to the point, I'm getting a general sense that what these packs and the other ways to get "beta" keys is more of a preview of the game rather than an actual beta. This is based off the supposed release date of "Early 2013". If that's the case, that would honestly make these packs even more acceptable. The true purpose of a beta is finding bugs/broken content and stress testing servers.

Exactly,

Beta testing is not a privilege, it is a job. The idea of paying your way into beta is a relatively new phenomena that has come as a result of the fact that a significant number of MMO players like to throw money at stuff and feel "special" about getting "exclusive" items, plus getting into beta gives them the chance to try a long awaited game early. Game companies know that MMO players (or at least a significant enough number of them) are big spenders (and IMO financially irresponsible) so they bank on this by selling anything they think people will buy. And if people will buy access to beta, why pass on the chance to sell it to them?

But once uppon a time people actually used to get payed to this job (and if I'm not mistaken some still do), or they would volunteer and do it for free. The idea that people that pay to get into beta will somehow be better beta testers is IMO absurd. For most people this has nothing to do with helping catch bugs, but the thrill of trying something out before everyone else (or at least earlier than they'd have been able to otherwise), because they want to have a go at the game NOW! Or they may simply want to know if they'll like it enough to get invested in it (I would fall into this category).

And in regards to the price, the price isn't an issue for me and I believe it isn't an issue for most people complaining about it either. Its about concerns about the value of what these packs offer, and the absurdity of their claims that the Hero of the North Founder's Pack is somehow "worth" $549.

And in my case as well as some (but not necessarily all) others that play other Cryptic games is about lost of trust in the company, since we've seen Champions Online get SERIOUSLY neglected by this company while the price of their new cash shop items skyrocket over the last year or so. And this has been made even worse with the addition gambling items such as lockboxes with ridiculously low drop rates, which seem to have almost every recent content addition as of late exclusively locked behind them, forcing us to gamble for the chance to maybe get access to every new piece of fluff they put out.. Which makes some of us have a hard time believing in the value for our dollar in Cryptic products anymore, as well as whether or not they'll actually support this game 2 or 3 years or so down the road.

So when we see them selling a $200 pack and claiming that its "worth" $549, we just have to roll our eyes and figure the current messed up trent on their business pratices is what's at work here. I mean seriously, when was the last time you heard of a $549 item or pack in a video game? Not even a freaking LTS costs/is worth that much.
    Perhaps I'm mistaken- it's 3am and these eyes aren't what they used to be- but aren't there three answers splitting the "None" camp between them? Not that I disapprove. You've cleverly allowed the various tiers of "Yes" to keep up with what would otherwise have been a rather long red bar. Divide and conquer! Or.. something.

What?

Ah! Er,yes. I've bought the top founder's pack because I'm fond of spiders, I love the drow and I prefer. Oh. Well I prefer wolves, but that's a small matter. Also, I don't know the true value of 750,000 something-somethings, but 750,000 is the most of anything I'll ever have had. How could I not be happy about that?! Hoho.
  • wordwinterwordwinter Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2013
    "the last time you heard of a $549 item or pack in a video game"

lol yeah probably won't see something like that

but that absurd "$549 value" could have just the opposite effect.. that number is too big and random.. in this case it could certainly be a very accurate value.. maybe because of their personal impression of the value of being able to buy this unique race.. the 750,000 astral diamonds is probably a big amount of this value.. also the level 60 treasure box that guarantees a rare weapon or implement.. might be worth a lot if they're going to sell random treasure boxes in cash shop with a low rate of getting something like this
  • jeromeblakejeromeblake Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    First time posting, although i been curious about this game, i will not use RL$ on pixels i cannot touch, caress, take to the movies, snuggle up with, get married, have children with (so tiny i prolly cant take care of them), and mostly likely cant grow old with.
    WoBFFV-omega610x160Banner_zpsc0faf3ef.png
  • shado152shado152 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    does anyone know if the items will be character or account bound?
    Beta Testing Pending
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]