test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Beta Weekend details - Read this first!

Comments

• darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    $50 for a new character slot???????!!! What..... I figured maybe 5 bucks a slot and 10 for the better 1

where did you get that info at?
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    $50 for a new character slot???????!!! What..... I figured maybe 5 bucks a slot and 10 for the better 1

Well, it is a very, very special slot. In CO, most of the heroes are "archtypes", mostly set in their powers and what level they will attain them based on a generalized background. Fire, Ice, Magic, or Mental Powers, for example. Freeform allows you access to all of the variety of powers to kind of mix and match, creating a completely unique character. The drawback is that you are now allowed to do some of the missions in CO, but that's the only major drawback. That and whether or not you can handle that much power over character creation :-D
  • markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    where did you get that info at?

Sorry, he was talking about me talking about the Freeform Character Slot on another Cryptic game, Champions Online.
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What I think of these prices... Which seems roughly in line with what I've heard from others... And ignoring the ones I really don't know about.
    I see mounts being $20
    I wouldn't buy one at that price. My friends who are enthusiastic about the game might, but only if they had it spare. I think $10-$15 will net them higher total sales.
    pets being $5
    Probably about right, tho I rarely buy pets. They are somewhat popular.
    character slots $10-$20 each
    Another funny area. I'll spend more total money on slots when the cost is lower and that seems true for friends of mine too. I'll do $10/slot with a little thought, but think really long and hard about $20.
    extra bag $5
    About right. I'll grab these at this price on an as-needed basis. Make it $10 and I'll be *really* careful with my inventory instead.

VMMY and I am sure Cryptic/PWE have done/are doing their research. But overall I suspect the lower end of prices will net them more profit.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    surf13 wrote: »
    What I think of these prices... Which seems roughly in line with what I've heard from others... And ignoring the ones I really don't know about.

I wouldn't buy one at that price. My friends who are enthusiastic about the game might, but only if they had it spare. I think $10-$15 will net them higher total sales.

Probably about right, tho I rarely buy pets. They are somewhat popular.

Another funny area. I'll spend more total money on slots when the cost is lower and that seems true for friends of mine too. I'll do $10/slot with a little thought, but think really long and hard about $20.

About right. I'll grab these at this price on an as-needed basis. Make it $10 and I'll be *really* careful with my inventory instead.

VMMY and I am sure Cryptic/PWE have done/are doing their research. But overall I suspect the lower end of prices will net them more profit.

Hi surf(its been a while since Ive seen you on(Lots of brains you havent tasted)), and I agree with you a bit on this(personally i would prefer $5 character slots). Also Id prefer mounts $5-10 maybe $15 for a extra special mount. Id also prefer $2.50 small bags of holding and a medium for $5(and have it equal 3 small bags) and a Large for $7.50(have it equal 5 small bags). I think pets should stay $5 and under. (this is what I think, but devs dont listen to me.(unless I PM them)) I know what I want isnt normally what will occur.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kiry3kiry3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited January 2013
    If they are going by what other games are doing (Tera, WoW, etc), then 20 is about right for a mount. Unfortunate, but true.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hey guys! I am not a cryptic marketing fan exactly (ok, I hate it, happy? :p) but I would hold my horses before starting to compute. Kotaku is not a good site and not reliable. Remember old days when truth started his FAQs? When I gave him kotaku's link, he outright rejected it saying it had false information.

So wait for detailed new from a better source.

they just sensationalized the news to get more viewers. Lets wait for actual news when the cryptic releases it with their SOON trademark :p
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Those posting there is an update at the front of this thread might want to take a lookie especially the lifetimers to STO and CO
  • mastrshadowmastrshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    UPDATE: Please note that this is not the final list and is a work-in-progress. We're still evaluating our Beta Weekend plans and making sure that everyone has a fair chance to join us in Neverwinter Beta. A more final and complete list will be available once our plans are finalized. Thank you for understanding.

Needs to be bigger and flash more. People still wont see it... I wish I was being sarcastic, but I'm really not...
  • draelin1978draelin1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    UPDATE: Please note that this is not the final list and is a work-in-progress. We're still evaluating our Beta Weekend plans and making sure that everyone has a fair chance to join us in Neverwinter Beta. A more final and complete list will be available once our plans are finalized. Thank you for understanding.

Greetings! Here is information on who will get access to our three Beta Weekends. We'll be updating this thread often so check back here for the latest information:

Beta Weekend 1 - February 8-10:
    • Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchasers
    • Guardian of Neverwinter purchasers

Beta Weekend 2 - March 8-10
    • Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    • RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers
    • Lifetime members of Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

Beta Weekend 3 - March 22-24
    • Torchlight 2 pre-orders
    • RaiderZ Elite Pack purchasers
    • Lifetime members of Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

Other Beta participants - Information to be revealed
    • PC Gamer promotional keys.
    • PAX / GenCon / Keys from game conventions and events.
    • Community Beta key giveaways through Facebook and Twitter.
    • Promotional Beta keys on partner sites.
    • And more!

I do love how the PC Gamer key was on the 2nd weekend for a while then changed to we will fit it in somewhere, along with all the free keys. the article wasnt that informative and the rest of the mag was boring. $9 for a random mount and what i later realized was a beta key. sadly we got put in with the free key people.
    edited January 2013
    Those posting there is an update at the front of this thread might want to take a lookie especially the lifetimers to STO and CO

Just checked the locked one showing the packs, and they've removed the lowest one. Interesting.
    edited January 2013
    Its still better than Halloween contest which they entirely skipped. And it was only official contest ever to be held on forums (apart from alpha giveaway which we would never know what happened behind the scenes and who got what).
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hi surf(its been a while since Ive seen you on(Lots of brains you havent tasted)), and I agree with you a bit on this(personally i would prefer $5 character slots). Also Id prefer mounts $5-10 maybe $15 for a extra special mount. Id also prefer $2.50 small bags of holding and a medium for $5(and have it equal 3 small bags) and a Large for $7.50(have it equal 5 small bags). I think pets should stay $5 and under. (this is what I think, but devs dont listen to me.(unless I PM them)) I know what I want isnt normally what will occur.
    Hey Deathsickle!

Yeah, well even a dead ole brainsucker like me needs a holiday... Which 5 weeks constitutes in most folks' books :D

I guess the point I was tryign to make is the prices in that first post seems very much on the high end to me. And I reckon PWE/Cryptic will gain a higher profit with lower prices. My responses were pretty much the top of what I'd like to pay in each area. The lower the prices the more I'll end up buying ;) So I definitely don't disagree with you...
    edited January 2013
    surf13 wrote: »
    Hey Deathsickle!

Yeah, well even a dead ole brainsucker like me needs a holiday... Which 5 weeks constitutes in most folks' books :D

I guess the point I was tryign to make is the prices in that first post seems very much on the high end to me. And I reckon PWE/Cryptic will gain a higher profit with lower prices. My responses were pretty much the top of what I'd like to pay in each area. The lower the prices the more I'll end up buying ;) So I definitely don't disagree with you...

Can you stop posting in white? It messes with my brain!

*holds his brain in his hands*

NOOO!!!! When I hit reply, I can't see - iCaNtS33!

EDIT:
    A grim nonemotional vice is heard - mission accomplished
  • justdacexjustdacex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Still not sure on where to go to buy these packs
  • draelin1978draelin1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    justdacex wrote: »
    Still not sure on where to go to buy these packs

you cant yet as they have not worked out the pricing yet. read and keep refreshing the first post.

Greetings, Adventurers!

Neverwinter's first Beta Weekend begins February 8, 2013. On that day, The Forgotten Realms becomes a reality for brave heroes and heroines to explore and dungeon delve. Victory and epic loot await the fearless and the fast, but for the weak of body and mind, there can be only ignominious death.

One way to gain coveted access to the first Neverwinter Beta Weekend is with a Hero of the North Founder's Pack. But don't fret! There are more ways yet to be revealed for hungry and anxious adventurers to join the Neverwinter Beta Weekends.

You may have also noticed that our Founder's Packs are not yet available for purchase. We took 20 on our Perception check and uncovered a few traps and several goblins. As a result, we temporarily delayed the start of our Founder's Pack sales while we slayed… um, addressed any outstanding issues.

For our Neverwinter fans looking to grab a Founder's Pack and secure guaranteed access to our Beta Weekends, the wait will be precious short.

Stay tuned to our homepage, ye Heroes of the North for the latest information on our Founder's Pack promotion. Keep an action ready because your turn is coming right up.

Sincerely,

The Neverwinter Team
  • malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Sweet :D I can't wait to get all Guardian in there.
  • mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    By now, most of you already know from watching the Free to Play Cast or Ask MMOBomb that the idea of “Founder’s Packs” that include beta access bugs me. I remember a time when I was PAID to beta test games, not the other way around. These choices have drastically changed my positive outlook on Neverwinter.

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with a company offering packaged goods, even if I think the “Valued at” numbers are just made up figures. If you like a game enough to want to throw down $200 for a ton of goodies after you’ve played for a bit, more power to you my friend! However, shelling out money (and a LOT of money at that) for goodies AND to TEST a product that may or may not be in a truly playable condition is just a cash grab, and Cryptic/PWE’s decisions here now make me question how much of the rest of the game will be a cash grab as well. What kind of quality testing does a game actually receive when the bulk of your testers paid money for access?

from magicman at mmobomb
  • k44mosk44mos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The problem isn't that they give "closed beta access" for some bucks. The issue at hand is that you only get 4 or 6 days of stress testing their game. It's not a fracking closed beta. It's a blatant stress test.

I feel cheated because the marketing agents that thought it would be ok to induce the feeling that you will take part in something grand if you buy Torchlight 2 from them, still live. Why?

Do you think that anybody actually would have bought Torchlight 2 from PWE if the message stated you get 4 days of stress testing before it gets into open beta? The steam deal was a lot better. LOL.

With whom should we speak to get a bloody refund?

They did not want to complicate their lives with more servers and catering to more people by having a long period of "closed beta" and instead they hid under the "it's alpha still, we're inviting a few players". If somebody tells me a game the size of Neverwinter goes from alpha to closed beta and then to open beta in just 1-2 months, I will order my fat dragon to eat their heads.

I'm sad beyond words. Crappy model. Good luck stress testing their game for 60 bucks.

P.S. And do not dare to compare it to PoE model. PoE had a very long closed beta, you were able to play 24/7 and they were extremely communicative. And their cash shop is actually brilliant.

I love the fact that the giant add from mmorpg.com redirects me to "Go back, mortal.
    The page you seek lies elsewhere." Awesome job. What could one say?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    There some questions i need get explained:

1 - When beta finishes the accounts will be whiped? We will lose our characters?
    2 - The itens gained with this promotion will be avaiable in the game release?
    3 - We will have Boleto Bancario payment method avaiable?

1.Until open beta, it has been VERY likely ALL companies wipe the characters. This one included. NDA means I can't speak on wipe details ATM.
    2. I can't speak on specifics until the NDA is lifted.
    3. Not likely unless it's used by North American/European transactions. Feel free to contact them on the billing questions for that if they do or can they research if they don't. If you suffer the redirect loop, this is their email link.

So any chance we can still get that Dollar to Diamond conversion rate?
    As I've been pointing out everywhere, the Astral Diamonds are equivalent to what Cryptic has as "Dilithium Crystals" and "Questionite" on STO and CO respectively. The conversion is fluid, but currently stands (depending on which game) at just below 200 per Zen. Zen is 100 per dollar. Therefore 750,000 diamonds = around (again, fluid) 3750 to 4250 zen which equates to $37 to $43.

Here's the issue. The Secondary currency is sold to available Zen in GAME in an exchange. It fluctuates based on supply and demand on both sides. That dictates the price based on a high and low cap limit. So it's literally impossible to say normally what a cost is. CO uses this with Questionite, STO with Dilithium and NWO will with Astral Diamonds. All of this is exchanged to Zen and Zen is 1 Zen=.01 dollar US. When the Zen/secondary currency is done this way, it is locked in that game and can't be extracted outside the game Here is an exchange for most games with zen in game. Honestly, based on exchange highs and lows, I too am curious where that got their suggested pricing.

Just pointing out that what Devote was pointing out was that there are special closed beta sessions only for paying players, that is those who purchase the packs, therefore the definition of selling beta access.

No, there is NOT. SOME packet buyers are GUARANTEED early access, not the ONLY access. Free keyholders can also get in but with phased tiering, we can't say who gets what when.
    See, this is why I've been saying that the only way, THE ONLY WAY the pricing structure makes sense is if they are using the exact same method as CO's and STO's betas and will have a "Silver vs. Gold" (Free vs. Pay) pricing structure including the Lifetime one shot pay. Then the prices make sense. Everything anyone has told me about the Beta of both of those games have the same conclusion: They both had early closed beta for pay, both pre-sold time in release, the first being "free and just extras", second being "three-months ahead" and the last being Lifetime Membership. Even the gifts for joining at the highest, $200 level match closely what they did with both games.

Now if they come right out and say it, I think things might calm back down, at least for those of us use to playing Cryptic games. But all this speculation that all it is is what has been said so far, including from the moderators, is just that, speculation. Because to say otherwise means the pricing structure of those packs make no sense.

I don't know how to say this except there is no monthly, yearly or lifetime subscription model.

As for it being a sound pricing or not, the feedback and responses by all say enough, and on that I won't.

k44mos wrote: »
    The problem isn't that they give "closed beta access" for some bucks. The issue at hand is that you only get 4 or 6 days of stress testing their game. It's not a fracking closed beta. It's a blatant stress test.

I feel cheated because the marketing agents that thought it would be ok to induce the feeling that you will take part in something grand if you buy Torchlight 2 from them, still live. Why?

Do you think that anybody actually would have bought Torchlight 2 from PWE if the message stated you get 4 days of stress testing before it gets into open beta? The steam deal was a lot better. LOL.

With whom should we speak to get a bloody refund?

They did not want to complicate their lives with more servers and catering to more people by having a long period of "closed beta" and instead they hid under the "it's alpha still, we're inviting a few players". If somebody tells me a game the size of Neverwinter goes from alpha to closed beta and then to open beta in just 1-2 months, I will order my fat dragon to eat their heads.

I'm sad beyond words. Crappy model. Good luck stress testing their game for 60 bucks.

P.S. And do not dare to compare it to PoE model. PoE had a very long closed beta, you were able to play 24/7 and they were extremely communicative. And their cash shop is actually brilliant.

I love the fact that the giant add from mmorpg.com redirects me to "Go back, mortal.
    The page you seek lies elsewhere." Awesome job. What could one say?

Actually, one of the worries I have is completion in time for it being called "beta". NDA does not allow me details as of yet. Whether it's a stress alpha or a pre-persistent (not ongoing 24-7) beta I'll leave to the PR people. But no way this is a "beta stress test." Not even NEAR that stage yet. Open beta is a while off. Apparently months if the closed beta PREVIEW dates stand.

We'l share more details once NDA is lifted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kholskhols Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As I can understands this kind of pack, as the price of the last one..
    It's can be a F2P, but if we take for reference the average price of a game "standard " = 40-50$.
    A digital edition said " deluxe " with only objects / bonus in - game turn around of 60$
    A collector's edition with bonus in - game and physical objects (as statuettes or other one, what justifies a minima the price) vary around 70-150 $ (Box, objects, Physicals Goodies, etc.)

Both first ones pack that can go...
    But there, for a beta a "collector's" pack $200 or even
  • k44mosk44mos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My dear iamtruthseeker, I feel cheated. That's the bottom line. There is no point in going on and on.

I'll resume to saying this: don't tell me that a game can actually be thoroughly examined during only 6 days (spanned over 2 months).

It's just another marketing ploy for creating hype and/or stress testing their systems.

The game might actually be incredibly awesome but this is just another example of how they intend to do business.

I feel cheated.

Why would anyone offer access for a very limited time to a vast number of users? All of them will just rush the log-in screen, loading queues, lag etc.

Most of them will spend most of their time in between loading screens getting kicked or because the server crashed.

If that doesn't happen and the servers will hold (I don't know how many actually qualify for the phases), they will just get a short glimpse of what the game will offer. How many can take the time and play almost 24/7 for 2 straight days?

From how they split the groups over the 3 "beta phases", I can conclude that it will be something like this:

few > more > a lot more

Why would anyone do such a thing if not for stress testing/creating hype?

They will get some info based on the first rush. They will add more servers depending on results. The second wave will come and they will gather info from that. And then prepare to hold "a lot more".

App I have gone on and on. I'm sorry. The fact that I feel a deep sting in between my nipples makes me want to choke the ones that promoted the selling of the game previously mentioned.
  • storattstoratt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Updated. Again, we want to stress that we are not selling access to the Beta. There will be plenty of giveaways for you to join us in Neverwinter Beta for the various weekends.

@cmpinpointerror, you are still trying to persuade us that you are not,OK maybe not whole beta,but early beta,which lasts 2 months, maybe longer...that is selling.

I have never see any beta that i hav to pay or purchase something for it. . .
    OK,1Weak early acsses for subscriber is OK,but not this. . .

Sorry PWE that i must say this,this will not work out good for you,
    you will have BUGed game becose of lack of players (Beta Testers). . .
    And than there is more work for you that is needed to be done in short time,
    and that stuff getting you to moving the releas date of the game,and than you whill have more un-happy players.
  • invikttusinvikttus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Heeeyyyy Today is my Birthday!!!

I deseve a BETA Key!!! ;)

Please... please.. pleaseee!!!
    edited January 2013
    k44mos wrote: »
    storatt wrote: »
    @cmpinpointerror, you are still trying to persuade us that you are not,OK maybe not whole beta,but early beta,which lasts 2 months, maybe longer...that is selling.....

Again I say that Kotaku is not a good source - they just want quick fame so they tend to slip inaccurate info. Wait for official info and then criticize them - right now your comments do not really mean much to them(cryptic) because they(comments) are uniformed.

Wait until they announce it officially themselves, and then let us together criticize them with solid facts instead of hearsay by Kotaku.
  • a2flyera2flyer Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    looking forward to trying this but man March the 8th is a whole month away!
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    a2flyer wrote: »
    looking forward to trying this but man March the 8th is a whole month away!
    Hey! Some of us have been waiting for years! What's a month in comparison? :p
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,370 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As a life timer with STO aren't we getting into this beta? I probally will get it for neverwinter too I just want to make sure I like the game before doing so :)
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    As a life timer with STO aren't we getting into this beta? I probally will get it for neverwinter too I just want to make sure I like the game before doing so :)
    May I suggest a visit to the first post of the thread? A surprise there. ;)
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited January 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    We need keys for these betas so they are closed betas, Usaully closed betas have a wipe. Open beta though nowadays anyone can join and there is no wipe.

Most MMORPG open betas end in a wipe, followed by Early Access, which is only a few days before launch. Every Cryptic beta ever has been that way, in previous games.