test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massively Exclusive: Neverwinter's Great Weapon Fighter class revealed

Comments

• elveelve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 336
    edited January 2013
    Well, the best thing for me is the end where you can see at least 2 more classes that haven't been revealed yet - a flame wielding mage and a bow wielding hunter or a thief.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    You say alot of Vets are turned off and I say alot of vets are amazed and anxiously awaiting of the title.

We both can't be right now can we?

How about we not dabble in hyperbole and agree to disagree, NW just might not be for you.

Now wait a second. It's tradition that many old school D&D vets are turned off to mmos due to the reliance on hack n slash content, including DDO and NWO. No different here. However, NWO has to market to that segment, and one look at the forum population here is proof very few of ANYBODY has made their journey here.

Whats nice about this forum community is, that there HAVE BEEN many old school D&D pnpers that have hung around, even after 2 years of I PROMISE I PROMISE. Lets be honest here.

We need the Stormdragons, the Tinys, the me and the you. We are the ones who can multiply the community of more mature gamers who might actually become loyal enough to invest in the future of the game. Cryptic has to walk the walk however, BEYOND just making a kick <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game which I believe this will be, for the Dungeons & Dragons franchise.

They need to kick up the marketing. Explain that even though there will be the usual hack and slash of mmos, that the free to play open user generated environment they've created will allow many long time dungeon crafters, and new alike, to expand and fill in a map where no other mmo or rpg for that matter has gone. All the while, filled with more lore, than anything that has been created in the computer world to date.

There. One short paragraph that could interest both the D&D old schoolers that havent thought of mmos before, or maybe didnt like one or two they've played before, raises the brows of Neverwinter Nights and DDO franchise players that may just be tired, and want new land and adventures to explore and conquer.

This is where Cryptic needs to shine, along with listening to their loyal forum community and alpha testers, many of which ARE old schoolers who WILL pay for quality entertainment (in time), or else all their efforts to create a great game, as well as mend a damaged reputation (self admittedly as recently Feb 2013 PCGamer) may be lost.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Now wait a second. It's tradition that many old school D&D vets are turned off to mmos due to the reliance on hack n slash content, including DDO and NWO. No different here. However, NWO has to market to that segment, and one look at the forum population here is proof very few of ANYBODY has made their journey here.

Whats nice about this forum community is, that there HAVE BEEN many old school D&D pnpers that have hung around, even after 2 years of I PROMISE I PROMISE. Lets be honest here.

We need the Stormdragons, the Tinys, the me and the you. We are the ones who can multiply the community of more mature gamers who might actually become loyal enough to invest in the future of the game. Cryptic has to walk the walk however, BEYOND just making a kick <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game which I believe this will be, for the Dungeons & Dragons franchise.

They need to kick up the marketing. Explain that even though there will be the usual hack and slash of mmos, that the free to play open user generated environment they've created will allow many long time dungeon crafters, and new alike, to expand and fill in a map where no other mmo or rpg for that matter has gone. All the while, filled with more lore, than anything that has been created in the computer world to date.

There. One short paragraph that could interest both the D&D old schoolers that havent thought of mmos before, or maybe didnt like one or two they've played before, raises the brows of Neverwinter Nights and DDO franchise players that may just be tired, and want new land and adventures to explore and conquer.

This is where Cryptic needs to shine, along with listening to their loyal forum community and alpha testers, many of which ARE old schoolers who WILL pay for quality entertainment (in time), or else all their efforts to create a great game, as well as mend a damaged reputation (self admittedly as recently Feb 2013 PCGamer) may be lost.

Whoa.....well said Andre and thanks for that.

I just find it hilarious that I'm considered both a fanboi and a hater or as Mo said "Everyone hated you equally" :P
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Very few games (if any) will ever be able to emulate the PnP experience for the same reason we are oh so very often disappointed with a movie after reading the book. Our imagination is simply the king of the fantasy realm and nearly impossible to duplicate or replicate. We all create our own personal perspective on each and every scenario. Our imaginations are a limitless expanse of personal taste, influence, and structure. Trying to accurately fabricate an environment that we created in our heads while slurping gallons of coke and eating 5 bags of chips is nearly impossible, so there will always be a certain level of disappointment. As Aandre mentioned, despite terrible marketing strategies, one thing Cryptic does seem to be getting right is what seems to be a genuine interest in making a quality D&D game. Hopefully some of the feedback offered here by those of us that played PnP for years will not fall on deaf ears only open to some lame marketing survey.

But back to the topic of the thread.. Maybe I missed something, but I haven't seen any weapon in any of the screenshots other than the greatsword. Does anyone know if this variant of the fighter is going to be able to use the 2H axe, 2H hammer, spear, or pole-arm?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tinypyro wrote: »
    ... Maybe I missed something, but I haven't seen any weapon in any of the screenshots other than the greatsword. Does anyone know if this variant of the fighter is going to be able to use the 2H axe, 2H hammer, spear, or pole-arm?

Crypticmapolis told us that GWF should be able to wield GreatAxe, Greatsword, Scythe and halfling.

p.s. ok, I made the last option up...
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Crypticmapolis told us that GWF should be able to wield GreatAxe, Greatsword, Scythe and halfling.

p.s. ok, I made the last option up...

lol Order me up a +5 Halfling :)
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Crypticmapolis told us that GWF should be able to wield GreatAxe, Greatsword, Scythe and halfling

How about dwarves, err I mean bludgeoning weapons?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited January 2013

Would take a mighty warrior indeed to wield a dwarf. Particularly since your weapon would also be cursing and swinging back at you..... and that actually brings back something I haven't thought of or heard about since my days of PnP.. Intelligent weapons. It's been so long that I forgot most of the details, but I recall there were several types of intelligent weapons. Some evil, some good, some chaotic. Many of them could actually communicate with the wielder if it chose to do so. Some of them were cursed and subtly influenced the wielders mind and will. Man how cool would THAT be to see in this game. Are intelligent weapons still part of current D&D lore? Wasn't one or both of Drizzt's weapons intelligent?
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    You think the spinning move was over the top and unrealistic?! What about that one (in the same video, no less) where he threw the weapon then made a standing 40' hop in heavy armor without a running start, finally dealing damage "somehow" by simply landing on his feet? I don't know gold medalists who can do that!

And I'm sure that spin will probably be one of the more plausible moves in the future, too....
    edited January 2013
    ... I don't know gold medalists who can do that!

And I'm sure that spin will probably be one of the more plausible moves in the future, too....

I can do that while wielding halflings!

And I can do Ring a Ring o' Roses with halflings too - what you guys call "spin"
    Are intelligent weapons still part of current D&D lore? Wasn't one or both of Drizzt's weapons intelligent?
    I don't know if to feel proud or embarrassed, but my halfling weapon is intelligent than me ...
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Is a halfing two handed weapon the same as a normal sword? If I see a 3' halfing running around with a 6' sword, then I'm jumping on stormdrag0n's boat.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is a halfing two handed weapon the same as a normal sword? If I see a 3' halfing running around with a 6' sword, then I'm jumping on stormdrag0n's boat.
    9 foot sword.
    edited January 2013
    9 foot sword.

Yeah, gives nice freedom of movement to my 12' sword 3' from the base. It is almost like a scythe. A bit more cooler though.
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Okay they have to get rid of spinning strike.

PLEASE CRYPTIC LOSE THE ANIME FIGHT MOVES

We hate them and will not play a Dragonball Z game. :mad:

Here let me subscribe to your comment.
    I really don't like the shield fighter also or the thief they look like they have some sort of magic super-powers....
    100% NOT d&d
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, gives nice freedom of movement to my 12' sword 3' from the base. It is almost like a scythe. A bit more cooler though.

3 meter greathsword in one hand and 3 meter greathsword in the other hand. Who cares if you cannot use 2 at a time ? You can jump 10 meter and move like a hurricane so what's a little extra sword do ?
    edited January 2013
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    3 meter greathsword in one hand and 3 meter greathsword in the other hand. Who cares if you cannot use 2 at a time ? You can jump 10 meter and move like a hurricane so what's a little extra sword do ?

Hah! My first 3' of the sword can speak in many languages, can dance, is intelligent with stats just like me and can fetch me food when I am resting and hungry. It also moves rest of the 9' sword according to my will.

Much better than two 9' swords which don't do any of the above stuff...
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Spinning Strike, eh?

Is there a way I can turn this off so I don't have to look at it?

Tasmanian Devil Mode... ON!!!!!!

Cryptic... THIS is what some of us meant when we said that we didn't want this game to look like some japanese anime thing. Thank God this will be a totally free to play game, because that video would have convinced me not to buy it.

Just for once, I'd like to see an MMO that I can take seriously? Is it really so much to ask?

I won't be a great weapon fighter, that's for sure, and I will NOT welcome one in my group, or will kick him the moment he goes into Tasmanian Devil Mode.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013

Dwarf tossing? "Don't tell anyone about this!"
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Dwarf tossing? "Don't tell anyone about this!"

hoho You mean throwing weapons?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    *A person from PETH (People for the Ethical Treatment of Halfings) Arrives and shrieks in terror!*

How...how COULD you be doing this to such a beautiful group of lovely creatures! I demand you stop this abuse IMMEDIATELY!

*Sees truth arm users instead with a certain type of gnome.*

Those types of gnomes? *Censored* them! We only protect creatures with at least a rudimentary intelligence!
    Yes Gigantic eyes and salior moon costumes are so much more progressive. :rolleyes:
    quorforged wrote: »
    I didn't notice either of those things in any of the videos.

I think you're making things up.

Dammit, he ruined ANOTHER Easter Egg! But the Devs said somehow it's not under NDA. :p

Spinning Strike, eh?

Is there a way I can turn this off so I don't have to look at it?

Tasmanian Devil Mode... ON!!!!!!

Cryptic... THIS is what some of us meant when we said that we didn't want this game to look like some japanese anime thing. Thank God this will be a totally free to play game, because that video would have convinced me not to buy it.

Just for once, I'd like to see an MMO that I can take seriously? Is it really so much to ask?

I won't be a great weapon fighter, that's for sure, and I will NOT welcome one in my group, or will kick him the moment he goes into Tasmanian Devil Mode.

Your prejudice is duly noted and my GWF character will be glad to choose the ignore feature for your character when I am playing.

Since we have Whirlwind Attack feats in one iteration or other for THREE D&D Editions as well, your lack of D&D rules knowledge is also noted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013

And the line for "serious" is Tasmanian devil strike, not horned a horned demoness prowling the night, shooting polar rays from their fingertips?

Of course, remembering the outcry over the wizard animations, I'm not really surprised. You just can't please everybody.

I will say one thing - it's very obvious watching these videos that this is the same group of people who have been making super hero games. I don't have a problem with the super-hero inspired powers and animations. The canon 4e Dungeons and Dragons art style has much more variety in it than previous editions and this is reflected well in the game. Even one of the guys from the Penny Arcade got to do some artwork for them.
    edited January 2013
    And I can't find the post to quote it but who said they wanted a halfling great weapon fighter with a scythe? That's just ridiculous :) If he did that whirlwind attack, he'd launch himself out of orbit. Maybe it could be used as a utility power as well - he takes off like a helicopter.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Tycho, right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    I think Tycho is the writer. Mike Krahulik aka Gabe would be the artist.

I've been a huge fan of the strip for a long time. They are also big DnD fans and makes strips about it every once in a while and blog about the more interesting parts of their campaigns. They made a mock 4e class called the Witchalok complete with powers and everything. I could link it to you if you want :) As a DnD fan and a PA fan, I was really glad to see that they got into the 4e books. Pretty cool stuff.

Found it on the WotC site. It also links to the series of comics that inspired it. There's also a podcast on there - no idea what it's about, haven't listened to it.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20090401
  • discorddiscorddiscorddiscord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited January 2013
    I thought it looked good the first time i saw it. And then After seeing it a few times I did think it looked cartoony.
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    And I can't find the post to quote it but who said they wanted a halfling great weapon fighter with a scythe? That's just ridiculous :) If he did that whirlwind attack, he'd launch himself out of orbit. Maybe it could be used as a utility power as well - he takes off like a helicopter.

"halfling great weapon fighter with a scythe" ? That is ridiculous! Scythe is too cool for halfling to hold.

I said halfling holds the greatsword while I use halfling as greatsword. This makes it work like scythe - with one flexible joint at the halflings grip on Greatsword.

No way a halfling is touching a cool weapon like scythe...
    edited January 2013
    I thought it looked good the first time i saw it. And then After seeing it a few times I did think it looked cartoony.

I think it lasts just a second too long.
    "halfling great weapon fighter with a scythe" ? That is ridiculous! Scythe is too cool for halfling to hold.

I said halfling holds the greatsword while I use halfling as greatsword. This makes it work like scythe - with one flexible joint at the halflings grip on Greatsword.

No way a halfling is touching a cool weapon like scythe...

Halflings are small enough to dual-wield, right? Then you could have another one sit on your shoulders for the helmet slot and another one strapped to your chest like a sort of baby-carrier. But they both have Greatswords. You'd be a death machine.

We need a good artist.
  • syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That spining is a Whirlwind which we could see in Diablo2 over 10 years ago so quit with that wow and gw thing. It's a verry popular skill for that class and it's nothing bad to have it in neverwinter also.

For me this animation is still bad and normal atacks of fighter could be way better. Sorry but i'm going to again say about Gothic rpg series where this look way better.

Good solution here is to connect normal atack with movement so if we press uparrow(or W) + LMB we make strong strike, if we press rightarrow(or d) we swing from right and reverse, pressing downarrow (or S) means we do block. It's a verry simple thing, give people more fun, more control and doesn't make our character look like a tard.

that rightclick atack could look better if it would increase our movement speed a little after atack for short time so people could use in to runaway or when too many enemies are pushed out to get fast kills one after another.

I don't really care about graphics that looks like from 5 years old game but animation is something that you guys should work on. Sorry but it doesn't look like game that should be big in 2013 and i'm not going to go easy here just because game is free to play.
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
    edited January 2013
    syfylis wrote: »
    Good solution here is to connect normal atack with movement so if we press uparrow(or W) + LMB we make strong strike, if we press rightarrow(or d) we swing from right and reverse, pressing downarrow (or S) means we do block.

That's sort of the way RaiderZ combat worked and it added a lot of dynamic to combat.
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Your prejudice is duly noted and my GWF character will be glad to choose the ignore feature for your character when I am playing.

Since we have Whirlwind Attack feats in one iteration or other for THREE D&D Editions as well, your lack of D&D rules knowledge is also noted.

Okay... So I was a bit over the top. I wouldn't kick anyone from my group unless they were being jerks to me or the other members. It's just that when I imagine a whirlwind strike, I think of something like the special attack you do in the Legend of Zelda games, a full 360 degree sweeping slash that either knocks the enemies back or does critical damage. I NEVER have pictured it like it is beind depicted here, spinning round and round and round for an extended period, hitting whatever you walk into. I don't care how strong you are, after you connect with a few unyielding objects, your spinning will be stopped.

What I mean by taking an MMO seriously is having combat moves that are awesome, but with some notion of realism. This isn't the Matrix. The laws of physics are not a computer program rule to be bent or broken on a whim.

I would rather see something heroic as a lethal flow from one masterful technique to the next, doing damage to one target and driving nearby targets back due to the reach of the greatsword. At least then it would look cool and not stupid.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P