test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massively Exclusive: Neverwinter's Great Weapon Fighter class revealed

bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
Massively reveals the Great Weapon Fighter

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/08/massively-exclusive-neverwinters-great-weapon-fighter-class-re/

With video!

Edit: I think this might be the announcement we all thought would happen today
Post edited by bitterwinter on

Comments

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Okay they have to get rid of spinning strike.

PLEASE CRYPTIC LOSE THE ANIME FIGHT MOVES

We hate them and will not play a Dragonball Z game. :mad:
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    YUP YUP

I am extrely pleased and happy to announce to the world I am officially all giddy with excitement. Finally a class at release that I can call my own.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Okay they have to get rid of spinning strike.

PLEASE CRYPTIC LOSE THE ANIME FIGHT MOVES

We hate them and will not play a Dragonball Z game.

Actually if you've ever played WoW (Blade Storm) or GW2 (Whirlwind Attack or Whirling Wrath) then you know that spinning animations on a 2H'ed weapon is common and actually looks awesome in a "fantastical" and Unrealistic way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
    edited January 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Actually if you've ever played WoW (Blade Storm) or GW2 (Whirlwind Attack or Whirling Wrath) then you know that spinning animations on a 2H'ed weapon is common and actually looks awesome in a "fantastical" and Unrealistic way.

This isn't wow or GW2 which are both heavily based on Anime, this is a D&D game...if you want to see a lot of pissed off old school D&D players let them stay on this road....I'm sure a lot of folks would agree with me here.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    We

Don't make assumptions. I think it looks cool enough. Whirlwind attack has been a standard move in dnd for years.
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Don't make assumptions. I think it looks cool enough. Whirlwind attack has been a standard move in dnd for years.

I'm not I'm looking at what has been complaints and concerns before from those of us who have been here since these forums were open.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I liked the animations. But where is Scythe? I want to swing it! :(
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    This isn't wow or GW2 which are both heavily based on Anime

How do you figure this?

I have a feeling you're just lumping Anime onto everything you don't like.
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I actually liked the whirlwind animation I thought it looked epic and not anime at all, but thats just my opinion
    edited January 2013
    How do you figure this?

I have a feeling you're just lumping Anime onto everything you don't like.

From interviews with Sam Didier and Chris Metzen in WoW Magazine about their influences and from listening Mike O'Brien talk about art direction from GW and G2 and it's eastern influences.

You were saying about assumptions??
    edited January 2013

Yes But you don't spin around like a tornado it's a sweeping move
    edited January 2013
    But Sam is the art director for SC2, not WoW. Altho he did create Pandaren.
    edited January 2013

Dude Sam has been the lead artist or art director for all Blizzard games. He did the Anime elf ears he created the Night elf look it's mostly him and he is a gigantic anime fan as is Chris as is Mike.
    edited January 2013

Try as I might I just can't find anything that might imply anime influences on either of the other mentioned artists and I don't see any reason to believe yet another american developer - cryptic - would be drawing from them. Furthermore, I don't see why that would be a problem at all. So you don't like anime. I don't see the direct connection to Whirlwind Attack. Sorry. I don't think Cryptic is going down a "bad road" by supposedly drawing from a variety of influences.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Looks great. The animations for all the classes have looked really impressive. Everything looks very fluid.

Devs, please pay no attention to the "fighters are supposed to be boring" contingent. That vocal minority has been holding back D&D far too long.
    edited January 2013

Try as I might I just can't find anything that might imply anime influences on either of the other mentioned artists and I don't see any reason to believe yet another american developer - cryptic - would be drawing from them. Furthermore, I don't see why that would be a problem at all.

Wow...really...that's pretty amazing since it's so obvious.
    edited January 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Looks great. The animations for all the classes have looked really impressive. Everything looks very fluid.

Devs, please pay no attention to the "fighters are supposed to be boring" contingent. That vocal minority has been holding back D&D far too long.

Yes Gigantic eyes and salior moon costumes are so much more progressive. :rolleyes:
    edited January 2013
    Everything with swords and furry creatures comes from anime? No wonder you're hesitant about NWO.
    edited January 2013
    He did the Anime elf ears

Tell me about how Anime elf ears are different from "real" elf ears. How do the NWO ears look to you?
    edited January 2013
    In my eyes, anime is just another art form. We should be open minded and intelligent enough to pick good ideas out of it while shunning bad ideas. Big animal ears costume, ridiculously painful looking action which may break spine, and big eyes with popping veins are a no-no to D&D. But many art forms even from there are inspiring. Remember the director Akira Kurosawa came from Japan and many of his techniques revolutionized film-making and spawned many hollywood movies.

Do not shun an art depending on where it is coming from, judge an art on its own individual merit.
    edited January 2013
    Your level-headedness will not protect me from ideas unfamiliar to me or segregate the western and eastern markets. This game is for me and me alone and I won't have a bunch of sissy artists ruining that with big eyes and cool sword moves.
  • galvayragalvayra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Every time i watch one of these game play videos my eyes get all watery .. damn allergies, yes its not like i love them to tears or anything ,its the allergies, honest

Anyone else seen the dude with the bow in the last few seconds? ranger sorta confirmed ? ;)
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • halishmedihalishmedi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's certainly a bow ... could be a henchman npc?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Your level-headedness will not protect me from ideas unfamiliar to me or segregate the western and eastern markets. This game is for me and me alone and I won't have a bunch of sissy artists ruining that with big eyes and cool sword moves.

haha!
    Sarcasm aside, I think we can all agree that things like Winnie the Pooh, Hasbro's Ponies and (randomly google search fur anime and wolf) "Kitty Cat Nyan Hat Fur Totoro Monster Anime Wolf Fox Costume" [whatever it is] --- has no place in D&D but anything cool like say Hellsing, Lord of the ring type of monsters etc. should be adapted to D&D while keeping the opinions of "D&D sages at WotC" should help the genre grow.

WotC- the old man who live near the sea-shore, you know. That old man is always consulting over tiniest of details like animations etc and if it is D&D-approved or not.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    This isn't wow or GW2 which are both heavily based on Anime, this is a D&D game...if you want to see a lot of pissed off old school D&D players let them stay on this road....I'm sure a lot of folks would agree with me here.

Actual WoW and GW2 are not Anime, they are no more Anime than D&D. All are FANTASY games. This is a game so yeah we're gonna have outlandish animations, deal with it.

If the games plays well I can care less is some of the animations or abilities are a bit outlandish. Hell I'll be happy with just not having the sprky effects and all the pauses after an execution of an action that does a 1 sec freeze of the char.

On a different note I like the vocals in the music.
  • tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    My question about the GW Fighters is: "How do they avoid/mitigate damage?" Every other video showed blocks, dodges, or teleports. Do GW Fighters just stand there and take it?
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
  • galvayragalvayra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    halishmedi wrote: »
    It's certainly a bow ... could be a henchman npc?
    That would be sorta boring, lets pretend its a sneak peek at the ranger and run with that idea!
    tethiyel wrote: »
    My question about the GW Fighters is: "How do they avoid/mitigate damage?" Every other video showed blocks, dodges, or teleports. Do GW Fighters just stand there and take it?

I believe it will be the dodge roll, don't quote me on that tho
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
    edited January 2013
    tethiyel wrote: »

Not all classes need to have same utility. It is not neccessary for all classes to "dodge" or "mitigate" the damage.

For example, a utility for cleric can be to heal itself quickly instead of dodging(Daggerdale). That way it can take damage and heal itself - instead of trying to avoid damage. Similarly .... imagine what other type of utilities can be!
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    galvayra wrote: »
    That would be sorta boring, lets pretend its a sneak peek at the ranger and run with that idea!

I believe it will be the dodge roll, don't quote me on that tho

Henchmen were confirmed long ago, you will even have a Drizzit henchmen. Can't remember if perm henchman or if it was only for a certain quest.
    edited January 2013
    ... you will even have a Drizzit henchmen....

Not really. They said that NPC like the ones you know from novel, will even be available for some quest, when they will accompany you.(I transcribed that whole 1+ hour interview somewhere on forums)

That does not mean drizzt henchman but that they will be available in some select quest as an NPC companion.

But yes, henchmen have been confirmed but no further detail after confirmation.