test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Drow Racial Preview

Comments

• Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    nohaaa wrote: »
    Only Heroes of the North will receive exclusive access to the

MENZOBERRANZAN RENEGADE

a unique playable race armed with the "Faerie Fire" racial ability and tattoo cosmetic option.

Can someone tell me what the Faerie Fire racial is?
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    bluesteel8 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the Faerie Fire racial is?
    While I am unable to detail to you what it does exactly in the game, I can give you an idea of what it might do by detailing what it does in 4th Edition as a Druid Daily Evocation. Just keep in mind, normal drow in 4th edition do not have "Faerie Fire" anymore as it has been replaced with "Darkfire." Very few drow, like Drizzt in R.A. Salvatore's novels, has retained their special Faerie Fire ability.

First, here is what Darkfire does in 4th edition:

Darkfire, Drow Racial Power

A flickering halo of purple light surrounds the target, making it easier to hit.

Encounter, Minor Action
    Ranged:
    Target: One creature
    Attack: Intelligence +4 vs. Reflex, Wisdom +4 vs. Reflex, or Charisma +4 vs. Reflex.
    Increase to +6 bonus at 11th level and +8 bonus at 21st level.

Hit: Until the end of your next turn, all attacks against the target have combat advantage, and the target cannot benefit from invisibility or concealment.
    Special: When you create your character, choose Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character's life and does not change the power's other effects.

Here is what Faerie Fire does in 4th Edition:
    Faerie Fire, Druid Attack 1
    Level 1 Daily Evocation

A burst of colorful light envelops your foes, distracting and slowing them. As each creature breaks free of the effect, the light flares one last time, searing the flesh and dazzling the eyes.

Daily, Implement, Primal, Radiant, Standard Action
    Area: Burst 1 within 10 squares
    Target: Each creature in burst
    Attack: Wisdom vs. Will

Hit: The target is slowed and grants combat advantage (save ends both).
    Aftereffect: 3d6 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of your next turn.
    Miss: 1d6 + Wisdom modifier radiant damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of your next turn.
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wow thanks Zeb, very nice.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    While I DO like the costume and tattoo options of the Menzoberranzan Renegade background, I REALLY hope that Faerie Fire isn't "a burst of colorful light" that flares brightly... just seems inappropriate for a Dark Elf (especially a rogue, as I plan to create).

Pragmatically, of course, if it's an AoE instead of a single target (as Darkfire seems to be) it could be more USEFUL. Just a nit-pick about the cosmetics of the thing. Sort of like the Founder's Aura --- if it's a brilliant shining gold aura, that's really not going to be something my sneaky rogue will want to use. Guess we'll find out soon enough. :)
  • Options
    noshmeknoshmek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited January 2013
    Traditionally, Faerie Fire could also be used to outline stealthy or invisible creatures, thus negating the usefulness of those abilities. I wonder if that will translate into this version of the game as well.
  • Options
    ceastaceasta Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's going to be interesting to see how this will be implemented.
  • Options
    golfildurgolfildur Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Howdy all,

I just finished participating in the first weekend of Beta Testing and while I was disappointed not to be able to test run my Drow Renegade, I did enjoy myself immensely. As you can guess, I'm a Drow RPer. I'm an old hand at this, having played TSR & WOC's D&D, AD&D, AOL's version of Neverwinter, NWN2 and now PWI/Cryptic's version.

I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons since about 1979 and have been a fan of Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms since he first started writing about the visitations by Elmister in his kitchen, back when he was writing for Dragon Magazine (Yup, Ed was writing stuff years before it became an official product in 1987). For three decades I have followed the Realms, having read countless novellas, stories and official game materials. My library covers all the years and I own most of anything ever published about the Realms.

In all these years, nothing has fired my imagination like Lolth and her wayward children. I have read everything about them including the stories of Liriel Baenre, the War Of The Spider Queen and the Lolth's Lady Penitent series. I know about the four Crown Wars and the reason for the decent as well as Eilistraee's sacrifice.

Based upon all that I stated above, my own interpretation of Drow is that they are irredeemably evil. Those that could be redeemed have already been saved by Eilistraee and her father, Corellon Larethian. Those that have been saved are once more the Ssri-tel-quessir (Dark Elves with chestnut-brown skin and blue-black hair), their heritage and place in the elven afterlife having been restored to them.

What remains are Lolth's children, the Drow. The Drow remaining were not redeemed due their loyalty to Loth and the curse of demonic blood gained during the 4th Crown War. (These are not my interpretations but cannon lore contained in offical WOC products.) If a Drow like Drizzt Do'Urden isn't actively serving and working for the benefit of Lolth, then its because she hasn't decided to break him/her to her will. Make no mistake, the Drow are her's and her's alone, She will reclaim what is her's when it suits her.

By Eilistraee's pointless sacrifice and Corellon's foolish mercy, all the impurities and weakness have been burned away. Lolth's children are now pure, strong and hungry for conquest. The Fifth Crown War is coming and Corellon played into Lolth's trap as she knew he would.

Anyway, I'm glad to be aboard, look for me in game.

I am the nightmare which has learned to walk in the light of day... I am the darkness that children fear in the night... I am the silent scream of the lonely traveler who is lost forever... I am Drow!”

-Golfildur Barrison Del' Armgo-
    I am the nightmare which has learned to walk in the light of day... I am the darkness that children fear in the night... I am the silent scream of the lonely traveler who is lost forever... I am Drow!
  • Options
    ultimusmagusultimusmagus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2013
    The original Faerie Fire engulfed the target in a dark, purplish aura of "flame" that made it easier for drow to mark and follow their target, improving their accuracy in the pitch black of the Underdark. With their improved infravision, using such an innate magical ability was like lighting a beacon, and anyone with such an ability could exploit it to their advantage in battle. It also had a minor fear effect on surface dwellers, since those unfamiliar with drow would think they were about to be burned alive, hence the save roll vs. wisdom for damage. The damage was actually psychological, for faerie fire doesn't truly burn.

Along with their other innate abilities of levitation and conjuring a globe of darkness, drow could lay in wait for their prey on impossible to reach ledges or even hover at the ceilings of tunnels and caves, mark them with faerie fire, hit them with poisoned hand crossbows, cancel their levitation and drop on them from within the globe or conjuring it upon their prey, swords and dirks drawn (also poisoned) to finish the job as they fell asleep or were paralyzed (the more sadistic ones liked their victims aware as they cut and stabbed multiple times). Priestesses of Lolth were favored by their goddess with snake headed whips (as a DM I created a variation of these that paralyzed and increased pain sensitivity). The more tendrils a whip had, the higher they were in the hierarchy. If you see one with a cat-of-nine-tails (also a variation of mine, the original being 2-5 in number), do yourself a favor and fall on your sword.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    golfildur wrote: »
    What remains are Lolth's children, the Drow. The Drow remaining were not redeemed due their loyalty to Loth and the curse of demonic blood gained during the 4th Crown War. (These are not my interpretations but cannon lore contained in offical WOC products.) If a Drow like Drizzt Do'Urden isn't actively serving and working for the benefit of Lolth, then its because she hasn't decided to break him/her to her will. Make no mistake, the Drow are her's and her's alone, She will reclaim what is her's when it suits her.
    If they were so loyal and cursed since they descended into the Underdark, one would thought that none would have rebeled from Lolth. Yet deviants appeared that didn't follow Lolth. You could argue about Eilistraee or her brother influencing but in cases like Drizzt's, none of the good/neutral/evil deities were there to wake him up from Lolth's dominion. Plus the redeemed drow have perfomed certain Eilistraee dance so any good drow that didn't perform it was out of luck of stoping of being drow, not of being good.

Drow "deviants" will keep appearing but maybe become more rare for a while. But for while it lasts, the Underdark drow are Lolth's.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Betrayers betraying Lloth? Who would have thought? :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kent10skent10s Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    why dont we see halflings on the race tabs offical page? i was playing a halfling ingame, but did not see one on the offical page?
    "Drive it like u stole it"
  • Options
    zombietreatszombietreats Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This looks like crazy fun and I like the art style in the pictures I have seen so far (dark and pokey) :D
  • Options
    ultimusmagusultimusmagus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    If they were so loyal and cursed since they descended into the Underdark, one would thought that none would have rebeled from Lolth. Yet deviants appeared that didn't follow Lolth. You could argue about Eilistraee or her brother influencing but in cases like Drizzt's, none of the good/neutral/evil deities were there to wake him up from Lolth's dominion. Plus the redeemed drow have perfomed certain Eilistraee dance so any good drow that didn't perform it was out of luck of stoping of being drow, not of being good.

Drow "deviants" will keep appearing but maybe become more rare for a while. But for while it lasts, the Underdark drow are Lolth's.

For those not familiar with the reference: Drizzt's aberration was a product of genetics. His father Zaknafein also despised Lolth and what she stood for, and in fact everything about the Drow society. Unlike Drizzt, he didn't have the strength of character to oppose his culture, yet at one point was willing to kill his son in order to keep him from becoming like them, not knowing his son shared his revulsion.
  • Options
    cyadkinscyadkins Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Could someone clarify for me please, are Drow going to be a playable race at launch, or must I buy the Hero of the North Founder pack to play as a Drow character? I have heard alot of conflicting reports on this matter, and while i will most likely be playing this game anyhow ( GREAT JOB on it so far guys, it looks AMAZING) I would very much like to be able to make my favorite PnP character which happened to be a Drow. I do NOT however wish to be forced to spend $200 just for the option....

Thanks for any and all replies!
  • Options
    whisperionwhisperion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Dark elves will be playable by everyone. It's only the Hero of the North people that get to use the Menzoberranzan Renegade as a specific character background for for any dark elf they happen to make. There will be other backgrounds available, though I don't know specifically what those will be or how they'll affect your in-game experience. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    cyadkinscyadkins Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    whisperion wrote: »
    Dark elves will be playable by everyone. It's only the Hero of the North people that get to use the Menzoberranzan Renegade as a specific character background for for any dark elf they happen to make. There will be other backgrounds available, though I don't know specifically what those will be or how they'll affect your in-game experience. Hope that helps.

Thank you whisperion, i needed a good, straightforward confirmation of that! So if that is true than I am happily on board for this game!
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Well on top of that of the Menzo Renegade racial background they also get an exclusive outfit, and Darkfire is Faerie Fire instead. Well that and the spider mount.
  • Options
    ranok1337ranok1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So why is Drow locked for 60 days if they get to run around looking different anyways...kinda feel like you might as well lock Elf for 60 days after launch as well since they are both elves and that would lessen the uniqueness of their brown elf non-ashen colored elf. The racial background is locked either way I really don't see the point for this at all. "We are planning to release the regular Drow for free post-launch (after at least 60 days to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity)."
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ&p=297621&viewfull=1#post297621
  • Options
    yaminukoyaminuko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    this game is awesome :D
  • Options
    alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ranok1337 wrote: »
    So why is Drow locked for 60 days if they get to run around looking different anyways...kinda feel like you might as well lock Elf for 60 days after launch as well since they are both elves and that would lessen the uniqueness of their brown elf non-ashen colored elf.

Ok, send them a mail that you want the elf race locked for you as well.
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • Options
    innearinnear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just purchased a Guardian pack. Will I be able to access Drow during game play at some time?
  • Options
    foolishlobsterfoolishlobster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    innear wrote: »
    I just purchased a Guardian pack. Will I be able to access Drow during game play at some time?

No one can play the regular Drow until 60 days after release. If you bought the Hero pack, you can play the Menzo Renegade Drow and ONLY Hero pack owners can. Again, regular Drow unlock 60 days after release.
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There was a funny comment in another thread. Since the Hero kit owners get 5 days early access and the Guardian kit owners 3 days early access, for two days there will be primary only Drizzt clones running around.
    I'll make some screenshots of the invasion :D
  • Options
    elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To be honest I am still surprised they went with a renegade Drow as their $199 race. Liberated Borg rocks and it makes sense to funnel that race with a large fee in STO. For the races in this game I would figure Tiefling would bring in more money than Drow. Not sure lore-wise which is rarer in 4E but on the surface, walking around town buying bread and helping people find lost items for XP, both Drow and Tiefling would be about equally rare. Would love to have seen a $199 Warforge, would mimic the Liberated Borg and they could claim playing a race from another realm would be rare so thus the fee funnel. Then we could have the influx of two handed weapon using Warforge that DDO saw at launch.
    2.jpg
  • Options
    vampirialvampirial Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    There was a funny comment in another thread. Since the Hero kit owners get 5 days early access and the Guardian kit owners 3 days early access, for two days there will be primary only Drizzt clones running around.
    I'll make some screenshots of the invasion :D

To be honest Drizzt clones will be impossible until dual blade rangers come, also NOT everyone who will be rolling a Drow will be a Drizzt clone, though I'm sure there will be a few don't generalise us all :)
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    quoted from the article: "With their natural dexterity and talent for magic, drow adventurers will be a powerful force for good when Neverwinter launches in 2013. Keep checking back for more previews!"

Except 60 days after release. more mishaps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    tazrakunetazrakune Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited March 2013
    I had hoped on rolling a Drow Wizard, not a Ranger... But who knows what will happen with the classes currently.
    JerroldNeverwintersig_zps8ecd4397.jpg
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ranger was only one of drizzt's classes first he was a fighter then a scout(or rogue)then he was a mage then he was a cleric then he became a berserker then finally he became a ranger
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    tormsy85tormsy85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ok, yes on fighter, since he was trained at Melee-Magthere.
    No on rogue. Saying Drizzt is a rogue is like saying Artemis Entreri is a fighter. Just because he can fight like one doesn't mean he has the class.
    Not sure where you got mage...or cleric.
    As for berserker, again, just because he devolved to his animal instincts and fought like a berserker doesn't mean he has that class.
    As for ranger, I'm not sure about the official lore. But it seemed to me that he simply got the class because of his deity. I don't recall him mentioned as acting like a ranger or using ranger spell levels in any of the books.
  • Options
    skeletunskeletun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tormsy85 wrote: »
    Ok, yes on fighter, since he was trained at Melee-Magthere.
    No on rogue. Saying Drizzt is a rogue is like saying Artemis Entreri is a fighter. Just because he can fight like one doesn't mean he has the class.
    Not sure where you got mage...or cleric.
    As for berserker, again, just because he devolved to his animal instincts and fought like a berserker doesn't mean he has that class.
    As for ranger, I'm not sure about the official lore. But it seemed to me that he simply got the class because of his deity. I don't recall him mentioned as acting like a ranger or using ranger spell levels in any of the books.

I agree with you on everything cept the Ranger part. Not saying you are wrong, but I thought he referred to himself as a ranger. Also I recall he had a mentor (Old Human guy who was blind) who trained him as a ranger when he left Menzoberranzan. I think this is the guy who "introduced" him to Mielikki and gave him a Unicorn pendant a symbol of Mielikki.

Dont have the books, but I do recall Drizzt referring to a "Mooshie" and I think thats the guy.