What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Drow Racial Preview

Comments

• Options
    barakhelmut2barakhelmut2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10
    edited March 2013
    After the book, or much more precise as I remember from the time I read the book, Drizzt was a fighter, that maybe turned some levels as a berserker, and than a ranger. I don't remember him as any priest like activity, however as a ranger he has priest like spells.
  • Options
    tormsy85tormsy85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I phrased the ranger part badly. Yes, he was trained by a ranger and refers to himself as a ranger. What I meant to express is that while he has the class, I don't ever recall him using clerical spells or feats like racial enemy or animal companion. The bloody panther is not an animal companion btw.
  • Options
    mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Couple of interesting links for stats of Drizzt:

older (around 3E FRCS) http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010117d
    newer (Dungeon Magazine 171 in 2009) http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/250/drizzta.jpg

As you can tell in the newer stats for 4E, Drizzt is considered a level 21 solo skirmisher. The latest stats may have changed in the D&D Compendium (3 years have gone by since the magazine was released), but I don't have access to the website database at this time.
  • Options
    baconstewbaconstew Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd figure there would be a TON of Dahlia clones running around with sticks crying "why don't you fight!!!!!" :).

Remember those authors who wrote about the Underdark, there are soo many good characters outside of ol' Driz' to emulate.
  • Options
    fursnakefursnake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    Is Drizzt the most "multi-classed" character in D&D?
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Only insomuch as he was created and developed without R.A. Salvatore worrying about classes and the like and then game designers tried to work up in-game stats for him. He doesn't pigeon-hole well.
  • Options
    nostradominusnostradominus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the info on FF from 4th edition I was wondering if in game it was going to be a daily and if so would it be in addition to your class daily or used as a replacement for that. Thanks.
  • Options
    fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    so COOL NEWS !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    krafenkrafen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 59
    edited March 2013
    Conveniently, with the way PW's naming system works, we should be able to have thousands of players named Drizzt. No need to resort to Drizzzt/Driizzt/Drizztt/etc. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kyssumikyssumi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 73
    edited March 2013
    Sounds cool and all but not being able to play even a normal Drow for the first 60 days is a pretty huge letdown and drove me away from dishing out a few $$ for a Guardian Pack. Guess I won't bother playing for the first 60 days at all really :\
    "Reality is but a figment of our collective imaginations." -N.E.S.
  • Options
    jasalphajasalpha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 32
    edited April 2013
    Truthfully I don't understand why they do not just give the Menzo Renegade Drow, DarkFire and Cloud of Darkness. Put them on the same Proc chance and it would be a perfect and balanced Racial ability.

With Darkfire: " All drow characters have this power: Every time a drow attacks, there’s a chance it’ll debuff the target’s Defense." So the debuff lasts a couple seconds, just like every other ability in the game, big deal. However it will at least make the Drow Unique, and give people a reason to pay the $200 for the Heroes pack.

With Cloud of Darkness: That one is so simple it hardly bears mentioning. Just have an effect trigger and the area around the Drow's current target gets a little darker, and have a blindness effect proc for a few seconds. It increased the chance to miss or ensures that the next attack misses. Have it on the same Proc chance and Darkfire, and Put in a redundancy timer so that they can't proc at the same time or to close together. Say only one can proc every 30-60 seconds or so.

It wouldn't be game breaking, and it would be faithful to the 4ed Drow.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=771211 (for the quote about Darkfire)
  • Options
    rizoguerizogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I have commented on the drow exclusion to death in other topics here. They should have made a Shadovar race be possible through the $200, and unavailable any other way. Giving 'Founders' a drow renegade, and even referring to him or her as a Menzoberranzan renegade is crazy enough (limiting the background possibilities of the only drow race available to a specific drow city sounds poorly-thought in it s own right), but giving them a panther...?! Then telling us we have to wait two months to create our drow main characters? This is entirely a financial decision made by the bank accounts of the investors (and it's working!!). This is 'free to play' baiting at its worst, IMO.

Rizogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join our Neverwinter Discussions: http://www.menzoberranzan.net
    Now Recruiting - All races and classes! Menzoberranzan Guild Recruitment
  • Options
    wardenmwardenm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    You'd think they could have done something a -little- more original than the panther at least. There'll already be tons of "Drizzzzt"s, "Dryzette"s and "Drizit"s as it is without fueling the flames. That being said... isn't a riding lizard the usual drow mount? <.< While it gives players who play off character something extra, a "Renegade" associating in any way with spiders just seems an... odd choice.
  • Options
    rizoguerizogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Ok, you got me. I'd pay $200 for a riding lizard...... LOL! And please change the name to Drow Renegade. We love the subtle mention guys, but Menzoberranzan isn't the only city down here. :D

Rizogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Join our Neverwinter Discussions: http://www.menzoberranzan.net
    Now Recruiting - All races and classes! Menzoberranzan Guild Recruitment
  • Options
    buz1buz1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can live with drizzt's running aound its when we start seeing GOKU or Chuck Norris or Naruto the usual stupid names :P
  • Options
    amorraamorra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rizogue wrote: »
    I have commented on the drow exclusion to death in other topics here. They should have made a Shadovar race be possible through the $200, and unavailable any other way. Giving 'Founders' a drow renegade, and even referring to him or her as a Menzoberranzan renegade is crazy enough (limiting the background possibilities of the only drow race available to a specific drow city sounds poorly-thought in it s own right), but giving them a panther...?! Then telling us we have to wait two months to create our drow main characters? This is entirely a financial decision made by the bank accounts of the investors (and it's working!!). This is 'free to play' baiting at its worst, IMO.

Rizogue
    There would be far more complaints if founders were given a completely unique race that no one would ever get. As for limiting the background, it is more than that race that has a fairly limited choice. That is where the background Role-Play stuff comes in handy. If you would like your character to have grown up on a small farm located outside of the current game world, what stops you from that? Game mechanic limitations? Lack of imagination?

As far as I can tell those who bought the 200$ pack will be able to create the renegade 'dark elves' from day one. 60 days waiting for the official 'Drow' race is not so bad. Gives you time to level up a character and save twink gear (if nothing else).
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    buz1 wrote: »
    I can live with drizzt's running aound its when we start seeing GOKU or Chuck Norris or Naruto the usual stupid names :P

Just waiting for the Yoloswagqt folks
  • Options
    forumname93forumname93 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    alsaroth wrote: »
    By the way, does anyone know if dexterity plays any role for a mage/sorcerer in 4th e?

Here's a link to a forum post which lists stat usage by class:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?100101-Stats-by-class-and-racial-ability-s
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    skeletun wrote: »
    I agree with you on everything cept the Ranger part. Not saying you are wrong, but I thought he referred to himself as a ranger. Also I recall he had a mentor (Old Human guy who was blind) who trained him as a ranger when he left Menzoberranzan. I think this is the guy who "introduced" him to Mielikki and gave him a Unicorn pendant a symbol of Mielikki.

Dont have the books, but I do recall Drizzt referring to a "Mooshie" and I think thats the guy.

^ I just been reading the books and Mooshie is the nickname of the old ranger.

Drizzt fits a Melee tempest ranger at lest in the books I read (well hard to tell if he's a ranger or a fight at the start really) and there's nothing in any of the first 6 books that outside of the possibilities of the ranger class.
  • Options
    bloodlightsbloodlights Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I'll be playing this race when they come out <3.
  • Options
    riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    rizogue wrote: »
    This is entirely a financial decision made by the bank accounts of the investors (and it's working!!). This is 'free to play' baiting at its worst, IMO.
    If people are willing to pay $200 to play a drow toon and have a panther pet, I say go for it.
    I'm not buying it. I'm also not going to complain much since most of the other stuff is free.
    Two months isn't all that long to wait.
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    riqita wrote: »
    If people are willing to pay $200 to play a drow toon and have a panther pet, I say go for it.
    I'm not buying it. I'm also not going to complain much since most of the other stuff is free.
    Two months isn't all that long to wait.

Some of us also want the mount, astral diamonds, char. Slots, bag, gear, access, etc. just because it has a specific background and early access to race, does not mean that is all the HoTN purchasers want, or care for. Not to single anyone out. I just read a lot of assumptions on this thread about why people purchased this pack. I already see similar items on the zen store, but man are they high!

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I haven't read all 12 pages so I don't know if he's been mentioned but what about the drow from BG2? Sol something or other? He's good right?
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
  • Options
    nohmacnohmac Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is the D&D description that is widely accepted as the racial abilities for the Drow:
    Drow are more powerful than many of Dungeons & Dragons's races, with the ability to resist magic and powerful darkvision. Drow have the ability to summon globes of darkness, outline targets in faerie fire which causes no harm but makes the target brightly visible to everyone who sees them. Female Drow are naturally inclined to priestly magic and males are naturally inclined towards arcane magic.
    Drow are a single race as a whole regardless of where they are from. The term “Menzoberranzan Renegade” refers to a small amount of Drow, (Drizzt Do’Urden, Jarlaxle & Liriel Baenre, members of Bregan D’aethe) but are NOT a separate race.
    This seems to me as first and foremost a Cash Crop, but also a lame attempt of increasing the amount of races in the game. Which can also be said for the Fighter class; Guardian and Great Weapon Fighters are of the same class just different specs (Ref. 4th Ed PHB). Also unless the intend in introduce the Ranger as the Two-Weapon Fighter Specialization the hopes of playing a “Drizzt Do’Urden” character are slim to none, but with the way they have introduced the fighter it me be possible to see it as a different (although NOT) class.
  • Options
    zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Bah forums eat my post....

Gist of it was the drow changed in the 4e FR due to cataclysmic events. Seems strange to me also coming from a box set/2e background.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it would be nice if the vanilla drow have the levitate ability as it seems to be tied to their house insignia and those menzos dont have a house lol
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand how become can be so involved in the lore of the Drow onthe forums more so in the game, have anyone actually looked at some of the names in game?

I have seen character name's like "Weed addict, Poundinbutss, figger naggots." I don't know about you all but not looking forward to some of the names that this race will bring to this game "Just saying you guys are absorbed or immersed by the lore here but I haven't seen anyone in game really into it.".

Sorry, not to derail topic,

It will be very awesome to have a Drow as a Archer Ranger or Warlock;)
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    chifawnchifawn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nice I cant wait for the drow to come out hopfuly they add the paladin at some point but as for the drow I love the drow allways have my drow when they come out is probbly going to be a follower of the lost power Eilistraee dead destroyed ect ect in forgotten relams every thing has a way to come back happy gameing every one
  • Options
    shanawdithitshanawdithit Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok this is a newbie/non founder type question , as one of the players that dont have the current access to the drow race to play....what classes are currently available with them?
    how many players have them at max level already? is max lvl 60?
    what companions do you have? are they the same as the other racial types?
    do all drow players use the spider mount or horses too?

could you please post pics of your toons and companions too?
  • Options
    derangedheroderangedhero Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok this is a newbie/non founder type question , as one of the players that dont have the current access to the drow race to play....what classes are currently available with them?
    how many players have them at max level already? is max lvl 60?
    what companions do you have? are they the same as the other racial types?
    do all drow players use the spider mount or horses too?

could you please post pics of your toons and companions too?

Drow is a race just like any other, meaning they have access to everything that anyone else has.
    This includes all classes, the same max level of sixty, the ability to buy and use any mount and companion, and so on.

So, while the spider mount and the panther are Hero of the North exclusives, one does not have to be a Drow to use them, nor are Drow characters limited to using only them. :)
    ---
    [SIGPIC]Or am I?[/SIGPIC]
    This loony is also known as @Derangement.