Install Arc
Options

Drow Racial Preview

Comments

• Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looking forward to it!
    Also note the "race tab" page is awful... no stats for some races (dwarf?), half orcs and halflings are entirely missing, etc. It needs to be updated badly!
  • Options
    kelton59kelton59 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess this means another horde of characters lamely named Drizzt.
  • Options
    leapsfromshadowsleapsfromshadows Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ok this is a newbie/non founder type question , as one of the players that dont have the current access to the drow race to play....what classes are currently available with them?
    how many players have them at max level already? is max lvl 60?
    what companions do you have? are they the same as the other racial types?
    do all drow players use the spider mount or horses too?
    There are no class restrictions in this game. You can play any race as any class.

Max level is 60.

Available companions are the same. If you bought the Hero Founder pack, you get the Panther.

Available mounts are the same. You get the spider with the pack.

My Menzoberranzan Renegade (a.k.a. Drow) character uses the Vicious Dire Wolf companion and the Adventurer's Medium Horse (or whatever its official name is), both from the Guardian Founder pack (yes, I bought both Founder packs). The Dire Wolf has better AI, so it attacks faster (the Panther seems to hesitate before deciding to attack) and it has an attack that interrupts the enemy. And I think the horse is a better mount for a humanoid hero character -- I'd only use the spider for a monster-race character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am curious Cryptic. You have said how much you love the Realms and the lore. Why the obvious effort to ignore an aspect of the Lore where the Drow are concerned. They are RARE as a "good" character and making them a player usable race openly makes no sense lore wise.
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
  • Options
    khazaadkhazaad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    kelton59 wrote: »
    I guess this means another horde of characters lamely named Drizzt.

You mean Driszzit, and Drizzzzt, and Drizit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zentucknor wrote: »
    I am curious Cryptic. You have said how much you love the Realms and the lore. Why the obvious effort to ignore an aspect of the Lore where the Drow are concerned. They are RARE as a "good" character and making them a player usable race openly makes no sense lore wise.

Why do people keep thinking they're playing AD&D? There are colonies and populations of neutral/good aligned Drow in 4th ed. There is a whole neighborhood of them in Waterdeep. They are allowed to openly worship Corellon now (because he took on his daughter's portfolio) and recently I discovered there's even an epic destiny that allows your character to be redemeed and turned back into a Dark Elf.

Also you run into the PC Population fallacy for D&D. It consists on thinking that the PC Population must represent the whole setting's population (aka the grand majority of characters should be human then, being a small minority elves, dwarves, halflings and whatever). PCs are always the exception and they consist on a small minority of people that happen to be adventurers.

An adventurer can be anyone, since it's always someone EXTRAordinary, you know... uncommon.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    wareckfrowareckfro Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    Why do people keep thinking they're playing AD&D? There are colonies and populations of neutral/good aligned Drow in 4th ed. There is a whole neighborhood of them in Waterdeep. They are allowed to openly worship Corellon now (because he took on his daughter's portfolio) and recently I discovered there's even an epic destiny that allows your character to be redemeed and turned back into a Dark Elf.

Also you run into the PC Population fallacy for D&D. It consists on thinking that the PC Population must represent the whole setting's population (aka the grand majority of characters should be human then, being a small minority elves, dwarves, halflings and whatever). PCs are always the exception and they consist on a small minority of people that happen to be adventurers.

An adventurer can be anyone, since it's always someone EXTRAordinary, you know... uncommon.

By all thats holy THANK GOD! THIS! THIS! A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!
    I have been trying for *decades* to get this across to people...

I don't care how beloved the lore is(and I love that lore as much as you do!)...things change...they *must* change. Else what's the point? Should the drow *all* turn into shiny happy people? Of course not...but this false notion that having a decent sized number of good drow somehow flies in the face of "Good" FR Lord is plain ridiculous. I don't care how depraved a culture is, exposure to other cultures, *will* over time affect change. We should always have the spider loving, female dominated evil drow we know and love...but things have to change, and an increasing number of good drow...especially once they find each other and start helping others to survive...it's flat out common sense.

As if it's impossible to have a valid character concept for a good drow that isn't a drizzt clone....as if those raised in a culture never behave outside the norms of said culture...with *many* even adopting *rival* cultures beliefs!
  • Options
    zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay you know what lets forget the whole Drow as evil thing for a moment. I would rather ask do we NEED another Race? Personally I think we need more classes worse than adding the Drow.
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Very cool! Looking forward to the Race tab's official update when ready!

There's a drow on the tab, but no halfling.

Hilarious.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    darklock101darklock101 Member Posts: 52
    edited June 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »
    There's a drow on the tab, but no halfling.

Hilarious.

Oh, he's there. You just can't see him.
  • Options
    bioxragebioxrage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh, he's there. You just can't see him.

+1

He's there on the bottom left, it can only can be viewed if you have purchased the "Package."
  • Options
    xiltynxiltyn Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    As an old DnD player, yes back from the small paperbacks (I was quite young then admittedly but yes this still means I'm old :P), and a hardcore Drow fan. I can only say I will relish destroying the Drizzt fan punks, wannabe Drow fans, in pvp every chance I get! Looking forward to this addition to the game!
  • Options
    xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bighalsy wrote: »
    Drow...a force for good? Really? Seriously? :rolleyes: Has this game sunk to that already? I guess the 666 levels of the Abyss will just be one giant day care center for adventurers who have kids, huh? Sigh. I knew a real successor to NWN was too good to be true.

According to 3rd edition lore, Lolth's own daughter is chaotic good. Drow are just elves. They are not inherently evil anymore then other elves are inherently good.

That is the reason I loved forgotten realms so much. The color of an elf's skin has no more an impact on his alignment then the color of his eyes.

Eilistraee.jpg

Oh, and I will be rolling a Drow for sure. Only question is if I will wait for a new class or not before I do it... Ideally I would want a Drow twin weapon ranger, but it might be a long time before we get to create one of those. ^^
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    According to 3rd edition lore, Lolth's own daughter is chaotic good. Drow are just elves. They are not inherently evil anymore then other elves are inherently good.

That is the reason I loved forgotten realms so much. The color of an elf's skin has no more an impact on his alignment then the color of his eyes.
    You might be getting confused with Eberron. Forgotten Realms sticks to the standard 3rd ed lore that Drow are usually Chaotic Evil or Neutral Evil.
    You get exceptions, such as those who worship Lolth's Daughter, or Drizzt. But these are exceptions.
  • Options
    larthlarth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    A lot of the good/evil bit is based more upon the culture. Drow culture is very much evil. That is not to say every single drow is evil or that every settlement is either. Just like goblins and orcs are not inherently evil as well. Take a baby orc, raise it in a 'good' human town, it might run into some hardship and prejudice, but most likely he/she will be relatively good. Same with the drow. Raise a human in a drow city, most likely it will be dead...or evil. *laughs* So, yes, the vast majority of drow are evil because mom was evil, dad was evil. Next door neighbor was evil, that weird eyed kid down the road was evil, etc. Just like most Americans act well American because we grew amongst American culture. Unlike demons and angels, they are mortal, so alignment is not something 'born' to them.
  • Options
    vanlichtensteinvanlichtenstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Okay so sub variant of Elves. Thats nice and all but I want the Gnome race back, which is actually one of the core races of DnD instead of Drow. (yes I know they are not in the player HB 1 in 4th)
  • Options
    xiltynxiltyn Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The original boxed set Menzoberranzan does a great job of explaining the Drow culture of forgotten realms and why they have such a bent towards chaotic evil.

I can't help but wonder how many of the drizzt fans know that even RA has tried to kill Drizzt a few times, but the only reason it's not made it to print is because his editors won't allow it as Drizzt sells so many books. The off shoots from the original story line, that focus on Drizzt, he was even pressured into. ~ truth ~ get a chance to speak with him at a con some time and he'll tell ya. by all rights Drizzt was supposed to have died in the second book and should have.

Gygax put a lot into the creation of the Drow, ultimate villan, and their society and societal make up.
  • Options
    orgnlsinorgnlsin Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xiltyn wrote: »
    The original boxed set Menzoberranzan does a great job of explaining the Drow culture of forgotten realms and why they have such a bent towards chaotic evil.

I can't help but wonder how many of the drizzt fans know that even RA has tried to kill Drizzt a few times, but the only reason it's not made it to print is because his editors won't allow it as Drizzt sells so many books. The off shoots from the original story line, that focus on Drizzt, he was even pressured into. ~ truth ~ get a chance to speak with him at a con some time and he'll tell ya. by all rights Drizzt was supposed to have died in the second book and should have.

Gygax put a lot into the creation of the Drow, ultimate villan, and their society and societal make up.

Hate to sound like everybody's grandpa but I wish drow had never been made a playable race. As you say, they were designed as ultimate villains, which makes them a boring, OP choice for player characters.

(And a boring choice for protagonists of fantasy books too, but that's off topic.)
  • Options
    eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    khatzhas wrote: »
    such as those who worship Lolth's Daughter, or Drizzt. But these are exceptions.

What deity does Drizzt worship anyway?
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
  • Options
    undeadcrabbundeadcrabb Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What deity does Drizzt worship anyway?

Drizzt worships Mielikki.
    Folow me on Deviant art! ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I know it is a bit off topic, but when exactly Drow will be released? When the game goes live? Or is it 60 days past the live launch?
  • Options
    huckasexhuckasex Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    afaik 60days after launch
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    huckasex wrote: »
    afaik 60days after launch

Yes but which one? The open beta launch or the live launch?
  • Options
    yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sorry if this was covered, but after 7 pages of debate about drow being good or evil in a game that has not implemented alignment and has no dm client to run a campaign, i had to skip...

Can someone tell me the differentiation between the 'Unique Drow' Us heros have and the new drow? they look almost identical except our fire is a buff for us and thiers is a debuff for the enemy...
  • Options
    tairukutairuku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The drow sounds like an epic race to play... now only if they start to work on an archer class...
  • Options
    k3ll0k3ll0 Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xiltyn wrote: »
    Too bad their society sounds WAY more Lawful Evil than anything, what with all the rigid class stratifications and persnickety obsession with hierarchical status and power...
    Drizzt Do'Urden: the Dragonball Z of FR? :P
    ...and as usual the result doesn't make much sense or even look terribly viable in the circumstances it's been given. If nothing else they kill each other WAY too much for it to be demographically sustainable considering they're not too much faster breeders than the surface Elves...

For "ultimate villains" they also sure live in such remote and inconvenient places as to realistically be well-nigh irrelevant to the surfacers - who tend to have an awful lot more immediate threats right next door anyway. A Drow raid once a century is meaningless compared to the kinds of trouble Orcish and Goblinoid tribes living in the nearby hills make regularly, not to mention good old-fashioned 'friendly disputes' with your human neighbors and whatnots settled the traditional way with armies and ravaging the countryside.
  • Options
    dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm not giving more accurate information, but it would make sense drow will be released at the same moment than the ranger, possibly module 1 release.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    izoldaizolda Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    dartakx wrote: »
    I'm not giving more accurate information, but it would make sense drow will be released at the same moment than the ranger, possibly module 1 release.

Module 1 release today, still don't see any drow.
  • Options
    trinity1980trinity1980 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yes but which one? The open beta launch or the live launch?

Unfortunately, the live launch.
  • Options
    dranatharcondranatharcon Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    izolda wrote: »
    Module 1 release today, still don't see any drow.

Module 1 didn't release yesterday, Game went live, get your facts correct.