test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Signature & Avatar Thread

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    This is very important to do and it is the only way to keep layers. One the layers are flattened they are gone forever unless you rebuild them.

And you'll never know when you might need to access the layers again. I can't tell you how many times I've had a spelling mistake or something in a picture I've made which I didn't realize until after I 'completed' the project.

Yep, that also bring to mind how I get letters so clear. I always write all words in the largest font size possible, in a separate file image, 96px. I then copy the text, paste it, then flatten the paste. Copy it again, then go into my working image, paste in the huge flattened text and then resize it as a flattened image, usually after doing any touch-ups to it - like bevels or coloring.

When you try to resize unflattened text, you will often loose quality very rapidly and it will become fuzzy and could become unreadable as the software tried to render the text in less pixels.

Some times too, I will create an image on a multiplied scale size, 2x, 4x, etc larger than I want it, then when I flatten it, I'll resize it down to the size I want.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Yep, that also bring to mind how I get letters so clear. I always write all words in the largest font size possible, in a separate file image, 96px. I then copy the text, paste it, then flatten the paste. Copy it again, then go into my working image, paste in the huge flattened text and then resize it as a flattened image.

When you try to resize unflattened text, you will often loose quality very rapidly and it will become fuzzy and could become unreadable as the software tried to render the text in less pixels.
    I never convert text to any raster form as long as it is not the last thing left. Even then I always save a vector path for the text.

If you have to resize, you should always resize it in steps. I have a python script written for resizing which resizes in steps of 10 or more. That helps a lot in readability even when quality is lost during resize.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I never convert text to any raster form as long as it is not the last thing left. Even then I always save a vector path for the text.

If you have to resize, you should always resize it in steps. I have a python script written for resizing which resizes in steps of 10 or more. That helps a lot in readability even when quality is lost during resize.

I don't use external scripts, I just manually resize it to the size I want that looks visually acceptable, note the dimensions and then from there I'll use the program's resize tools to resize down a copy of the large text to precise dimenions. I rarely have to resize it more than a few steps to keep it clear.

But if we're getting into how to edit things with scripts, we really don't need to give advice to others then, for if one uses such - they probably already know a great deal about image editing. I was just trying to give advice that novices would find easy to use.
  • Options
    adaram648adaram648 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 366 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Link and link
    Let me know what all you need changed.

EDIT: better one
    and
    this

Wow those are amazing! I really appreciate the work you did on these. I think I like this one:

better one

Can move the Title up a bit (should I add "campaign" to it or is it too long?) And then add the Neverwinter logo at the bottom. Would that look ok? Where did you get that graphic? It looks really cool!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    adaram648 wrote: »

Can move the Title up a bit (should I add "campaign" to it or is it too long?) And then add the Neverwinter logo at the bottom. Would that look ok? Where did you get that graphic? It looks really cool!

Here

No graphic was used. Its a beholder shooting three kind of ray sells with orange background being covered in darkness. The blackhole showing that light can hide in darkness. Beholder has optic cables as nerves to transmit light from the other eyes.

For reference(Not that it matters):-
    The smoke was smudged into the orange and some random lines were drawn for yellowish lightning (not visible) and then blurred. Glassballs aren't tough to make and eyes were made using that. Eyeball was drawn with circles and light rays(supernova effect). Optic cables were drawn using vector path and burning it into the image. Rays of light and blackhole were made by using the same supernova. Text glow and blurring was used apart from that.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Here

No graphic was used. Its a beholder shooting three kind of ray sells with orange background being covered in darkness. The blackhole showing that light can hide in darkness. Beholder has optic cables as nerves to transmit light from the other eyes.

For reference(Not that it matters):-
    The smoke was smudged into the orange and some random lines were drawn for yellowish lightning (not visible) and then blurred. Glassballs aren't tough to make and eyes were made using that. Eyeball was drawn with circles and light rays(supernova effect). Optic cables were drawn using vector path and burning it into the image. Rays of light and blackhole were made by using the same supernova. Text glow and blurring was used apart from that.

I love it! Thanks a million.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    adaram648 wrote: »
    I love it! Thanks a million.

Love how that turned out too, nice!
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    When we finally do get Avatars for the forum wondering if I should use:

1) Older Neverwinter Symbol with Jade Scimitars

2) House Sigil for Korianthil

3) Jade and the Dragon

4) Newer Neverwinter Symbol with Jade Scimitars

J
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • Options
    edited October 2012

1)

2)

3)

4)

J

I love #3 - she's so beautiful! But I wonder if the little dragon would get lost at avatar size? Honestly, #1 is the one the "jumped out at me" the most, but #4 is more appropriate with the newer Neverwinter logo.

See -- aren't I really helpful??!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012

1) Older Neverwinter Symbol with Jade Scimitars

2) House Sigil for Korianthil

3) Jade and the Dragon

4) Newer Neverwinter Symbol with Jade Scimitars

J

i also like 1), most dramatic

2) a little boring

3) good pic kinda repetitive with my signature

4) most appropriate with new N yup, but kind of boring compared to 1)
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    i also like 1), most dramatic

2) a little boring

3) good pic kinda repetitive with my signature

Sounds like #1 is going to win! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I like all four, Jade. The first one, with the Neverwinter City Eye Symbol is my favorite of them however. Brings back memories and yet it is still relevant to this day, as a sign of allegiance to Neverwinter City. Number four, to me, seems more fitting for a web site rather than a role-playing character as the N isn't used in game to represent the City.

However, I do personally like the idea of using a House Sign as one's avatar and will be using my character's own Signature Symbol for my first avatar, at least.

Update: Here is the avatar I will most likely use in the future.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Boring isn't a problem, you can always up the ante. link.
    I like all four, Jade. The first one, with the Neverwinter City Eye Symbol is my favorite of them however. Brings back memories and yet it is still relevant to this day, as a sign of allegiance to Neverwinter City. Number four, to me, seems more fitting for a web site rather than a role-playing character as the N isn't used in game to represent the City.
    Red N is actually being used by cryptic to promote the game and is most likely going to be official symbol of Neverwinter. Eye is Nasher's symbol and now only belongs to rebels. The eye is no longer the symbol of city. It will most likely going to be used by enemies who we will have to fight.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Here. I left eyebrows intact.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Red N is actually being used by cryptic to promote the game and is most likely going to be official symbol of Neverwinter. Eye is Nasher's symbol and now only belongs to rebels. The eye is no longer the symbol of city. It will most likely going to be used by enemies who we will have to fight.

Considering that Thorass is the common written language, and not English (which does not exist in the Realms) in Forgotten Realms' Faerun, I highly doubt we would see an English letter representing an "N" in game. This would just be wrong, in my opinion. You're probably right though that the Eye may not be used by Neverember - it will most likely be his symbol or an iteration there-of.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Here. I left eyebrows intact.

That's unbelievably awesome, Gil! I appreciate it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, I just went almost through the entire NW campaign guide and can not find any symbols for NW city or Lord Neverember.

I guess, my avatar will be a throw back to the days of NW before Lord Neverember unless I can find a cooler city symbol to use with my jade scimitars.

J

Thanks for the feedback!
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Quite blinding G!
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    According to this official page, note the image of Lord Neverember, his symbol may be that of a roaring Lion Head. As well, he is referenced as being a "lion of a man."

Bearing that in mind, go here and either look at the image there of Neverember or download the PDF and look on page 4. With the thought of the first image noted above in mind, the crest on his gauntlet resembles what could be a side-facing lion head looking towards the left.

As to what the "New Neverwinter Faction" symbol may be, I cannot find any definitive answer.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ==Personality==
    Dagult was described as a lion of a man and had a quick temper. He seemed to care as much about making money as he did about Waterdeep's welfare. He held a dislike of demihumans.

Not so sure if this demihuman likes him as much now...

J
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I've also been reviewing a lot of videos looking for faction symbols. So far, through out videos showing Neverwinter itself, I have seen a vertical sword, a soaring eagle-like bird, and now I just came across a left-facing roaring lion head at the 1:34 minute mark in the "Story Trailer" listed here on one of the (guardian?) warriors on the bridge.
    ==Personality==
    Dagult was described as a lion of a man and had a quick temper. He seemed to care as much about making money as he did about Waterdeep's welfare. He held a dislike of demihumans.

Not so sure if this demihuman likes him as much now...

J

Yeah, he's got a few enemies, to say the least...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Exactly, saw that just now on a blue flag, the lion with open jaw. That is probably the neverember's symbol.

Its shown on flag in foundry videos, the fist demo given.
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have a feeling the lion on the blue field is more the symbol of Neverember's government and/or house than the city itself. NWN 2 hinted that the fearsome eye was the symbol of the city (or at least the Neverwiner Nine), though. You have to remember Neverember is a foreign lord that only claims to be in line for the throne. He's still an active member of the ruling body of Waterdeep, so wherever he goes his heradry follows.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    This is the neverwinter emblem as it is on the flag.
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Image or not, as I said, I disagree with that on the reasons posted above. I'm sure Neverember would like that to be the symbol of the city, but by my understanding of the politics I'm relatively certain it's not.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    Image or not, as I said, I disagree with that on the reasons posted above. I'm sure Neverember would like that to be the symbol of the city, but by my understanding of the politics I'm relatively certain it's not.

The eye is a symbol of NW9 which has fallen from grace and conspires with wererats and devil worshippers ever since harper's agent bid failed.
    Cutting short the long stories, the neverember synbol of lion is now the emblem of the city.
  • Options
    ezrasteel1ezrasteel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    A bit of a left turn from the direction this thread has taken, but my question is somewhat simple...

What software would you recommend using to build my own signature? I don't particularly want to lay out the cash to purchase Photoshop, anything else out there that is more reasonably priced?

Thanks,

Ezra Steel
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ezrasteel1 wrote: »
    A bit of a left turn from the direction this thread has taken, but my question is somewhat simple...

What software would you recommend using to build my own signature? I don't particularly want to lay out the cash to purchase Photoshop, anything else out there that is more reasonably priced?

Thanks,

Ezra Steel

I would strongly recommend GIMP. It is a free open source image editing software that has a lot of features which are quite comparable to Photoshop. As for the topic turn, it's all good as we were actually discussing the related topic of the Neverwinter City emblem that players may wish to use in their signatures and/or avatars in response to a post earlier.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ezrasteel1 wrote: »

Thanks,

Ezra Steel

Best Raster image editor: GIMP
    Best vector image editor: Inkscape

Both platform independent open source softwares, and free too.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Best Raster image editor: GIMP
    Best vector image editor: Inkscape

Both platform independent open source softwares, and free too.

Now if only I knew the difference between Raster and Vector! And, had any talent at any form of drawing, and, could see and match colours properly! Than I could make my own sig too! Thanks to Gill, I have not had to do any of this :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]