test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

cash transactions - bring the details!

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Okay folks, we've already had the official warnings done and I'm not going to go that route. People have been advised and the next steps we do are start editing out violating material in posts or even lock the thread. Nobody wants that.
    Just please try and do things like "in my opinion" and "It seems to me" instead of your standard posting. Please add that so it's clear. I won't force those words but really suggest it. It works.

Also, if there's any question about a "passionate answer:"

Try imagine somebody saying those words to you, and think how'd you respond. If you would respond in any way upset, then perhaps it's not a good idea to post with what you were thinking of replying to. There comes a point where it doesn't matter who claims who started what and people on both or multiple sides feel "attacked." Attacking back or "aggressively defending" can only escalate it.

So if anybody wants to step back to re-focus and possibly re-read and edit or post anything to clear up any ruffled feathers, that's fine.

Just be civil please. Thank you.

(And thank you all to those who properly PM'ed us if concerned about postings that may have or may not have crossed the line here and elsewhere. That's the right way to do it. We may not always address the concerns the way everybody wants it in their view, but we do look into and investigate every concern or possible attack made. Just let us know and we'll continue to help out when we can.)

As to the request directly involving me:

Maybe we can get truth to put this in the FAQ, I'm sure we will get many clones of this as the community grows. I have heard you say this before Jack has said it, Craig has said it and each time the subject is broached their is some hair pulling in the community......maybe that would curb it a bit.

Always the optimist I am b:chuckle

Consider it done. I'll decide if a new question should be made for this or it can be inserted in an existing question, but I will put that SS quote in somewhere.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The bulk of that thread is 6 months old. We knew far less 6 months ago than we do now. Plenty of Cryptic hate. Plenty of NWO hate. It was the same scenario in the DDO community. Still is in many ways. But, some opinions are changing for the better as Cryptic releases more information.

I'm not really interested in looking at NWN 2 mod content because I dont play that game currently. Not really sure what you are getting at, but if you'd like to discus specific NWN authors and what they can bring to NWO have at...

I think when the game releases, many NWN modders will give NWO a shot. However those wanting an RPG aka NWN 3 (many of us did and still do) and can not wrap their hands around an MMO no matter what... will steer clear of this game because they will never be satisfied. That's a perfectly respectable opinion... but even those folks I'd still welcome to give NWO Foundry a shot before finalizing their opinion.
    The reason there's no new posts (and I made the last one, two weeks ago) is because the community saw what Cryptic was promoting and saying (I posted the video interviews) "DnD experience: Killing monsters and taking their stuff".

What I'm seeing from the nwn1/2 community ranges from meh to lulz. Like slowdive.fan's response Slowdive.fan is the primary person behind the Icewind Dale conversion. (it's also here)
    edited October 2012
    I'm not really interested in looking at NWN 2 mod content because I dont play that game currently. Not really sure what you are getting at, but if you'd like to discus specific NWN authors and what they can bring to NWO have at...
    Sure, go ahead.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The reason there's no new posts (and I made the last one, two weeks ago) is because the community saw what Cryptic was promoting and saying (I posted the video interviews) "DnD experience: Killing monsters and taking their stuff".

What I'm seeing from the nwn1/2 community ranges from meh to lulz. Like slowdive.fan's response Slowdive.fan is the primary person behind the Icewind Dale conversion. (it's also here)

It has been said that there can be entire campaigns without combat at all. So, it is disheartening to read that there are those who overlook such things and continue to post as though this has not been brought up before and addressed and debunked.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Outside responses are just going to be...this speculative until we get people in beta who can have an experience to report. Until then, it's just an idea and not gaming experience, even if based on Foundry over NWN. But time will tell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Naah, that thread is outdated and spoken by most who werent following NWO closely. Also, there was little info available in Feb/April, so its meaningless to suggest their opinions had substance when even those of us who had been following closely had very little information to base solid opinion

Many opinions from the NWN community will alter as the game gets closer... there will be plenty who cant wrap around Neverwinter because its an mmo. The lack of further posting in that thread is most likely simply due to the fact Cryptic hasnt released very much new info until just this past month.

You'll see, more and more of us that have played NWN will be trying NWO out. And just like when rpg fans were doubtful about DDO but were willing to give it a shot, a good many were surprised they actually had fun.

We need to wait until we get to actually play the game before we can hold people's opinions of this game to some regulatory standard ... :)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012

As to the request directly involving me:

Consider it done. I'll decide if a new question should be made for this or it can be inserted in an existing question, but I will put that SS quote in somewhere.

Awesome thanks truth
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited October 2012
    Naah, that thread is outdated and spoken by most who werent following NWO closely. Also, there was little info available in Feb/April, so its meaningless to suggest their opinions had substance when even those of us who had been following closely had very little information to base solid opinion

Many opinions from the NWN community will alter as the game gets closer... there will be plenty who cant wrap around Neverwinter because its an mmo. The lack of further posting in that thread is most likely simply due to the fact Cryptic hasnt released very much new info until just this past month.

You'll see, more and more of us that have played NWN will be trying NWO out. And just like when rpg fans were doubtful about DDO but were willing to give it a shot, a good many were surprised they actually had fun.

We need to wait until we get to actually play the game before we can hold people's opinions of this game to some regulatory standard ... :)
    For reference: I took that screenshot this evening.

Maybe the nwo community should start posting about nwo in the nwn1 http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/subindex/153 or nwn2 http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/subindex/156 forums.

Then you can gauge the nwn1/2 community interest for yourselves.
    edited October 2012

Maybe the nwo community should start posting about nwo in the nwn1 http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/subindex/153 or nwn2 http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/subindex/156 forums.

You aren't getting it. It makes no sense for us to invade the NWN community to promote this game. That's ridiculous (albeit funny !!) Here, you deserve a sign ---> b:chuckle

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012

Personally, I think it should be the other way around. It makes little sense for me to go post about an entirely different game on another forum for an entirely different game. I hope more Bioware NWN Community Members keep coming over here to add their thoughts, opinions, and wishes for NWO here on the Official NWO Forums.
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Personally, I think it should be the other way around. It makes little sense for me to go post about an entirely different game on another forum for an entirely different game. I hope more Bioware NWN Community Members keep coming over here to add their thoughts, opinions, and wishes for NWO here on the Official NWO Forums.
    I've tried to relay the feelings of the nwn1/2 communities, but the people here seem to dismiss it. Nay, I say that people go post, and see for themselves.
    edited October 2012
    I've tried to relay the feelings of the nwn1/2 communities, but the people here seem to dismiss it. Nay, I say that people go post, and see for themselves.

That's a key flaw, it rarely ever is a good thing to try and speak for others. It is far better, in my opinion, to encourage others to come speak for themselves.
    edited October 2012
    You aren't getting it. It makes no sense for us to invade the NWN community to promote this game. That's ridiculous (albeit funny !!) Here, you deserve a sign ---> b:chuckle
    There's already threads discussing nwo in both forums. You should contribute. I'm sure they would like to hear from nwo people.
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    That's a key flaw, it rarely ever is a good thing to try and speak for others. It is far better, in my opinion, to encourage others to come speak for themselves.
    Err, I linked the nwo thread on the nwn2 forums, so I didn't have to relay anything, and everyone could see for themselves. Look above for the responses here.

How about I make a thread over there and encourage the community to come speak for themselves?
    edited October 2012
    How about I make a thread over there and encourage the community to come speak for themselves?

I think that sounds like a good plan!
    edited October 2012

You haven't read every word in my posts in this thread. We have for the most part welcomed NWN 1 and 2 players in this community. I have mentioned we have former and current NWN (1 and 2) players in our guild. I have also said I hope those with NWN history give this game a shot once its playable.

I have also admitted many in the NWN and DDO communities are not impressed thusfar, but most of those opinions express their preconceived notions of PW/Cryptic, dislike of mmos, dislike its not NWN 3, graphics look poor, or its a WoW clone. We know this.

It's still early. When this game becomes playable, you will see some that you are quoting and many who never made their opinions heard (and that's the greatest majority), state they are impressed with this game. Hang tight, you'll see.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I don't really feel that any feelings of nwn community would be unbiased. I remember many people leaving NW forums when it turned MMO for various reasons. Should devs have made effort to stop them going out of their way? ofcourse not, because it wouldnt have mattered anyways. The best way is to let the game speak for itself. And they are doing just that.

There is enough buzz for this game and enough people already interested. When the game is reviewed at other sites and the games builds up, they will be tempted to try it out.
    For that NW has an advantage that it has no barriers in entry - it is free. So NW doesn't need to watch forums for some other co-op game and sigh everytime someone posts aomething about them but concentrate on those who are interested in it and motivate them so that the game can be received and reviewed properly.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    My personal opinion on the matter is that the NWN2 Community is fairly close minded to the concept of a NWMMO. It's just something they can't comprehend and can't see working. Honestly they share the same thoughts I had when I first heard Cryptic decided to change course from a co-op to MMO.

However the more I see the more promise I feel this game has. It's something I myself had to open my mind to.

I did read the NWO Thread you linked the other day Kam and the main bulk have negative thoughts about it. But that's up to them. I learned long ago it's not worth forcing your opinions on others.

When the OBT starts the game will be able to speak for itself. That's when some of the opinions of the NWN2 Community might be swayed.
    But for now the NWN2 Community can feel however it wants. There's nothing we can offer them except promises and you can't blame them for not biting.
    edited October 2012
    The secret to the cash shop is going to be the selling of different avatars for the forum. The avatar is, after all, cosmetic.
    edited October 2012
    Updated my FAQ to this:
    What do they mean when they say "Free to Play?" Do I have to buy the "Box" like I do in Guild Ward 2? Do I have to pay for mission content like I do in Dungeons and Dragons Online? Do I really have to buy components to be able to beat the enemies thus "pay to win?"

Updated 10/11/2012: When Cryptic says Free to Play, they mean free to play! No "client box" cost (a free download.) You never pay for "adventure modules" and you can beat the enemies without having to pay for gear! Andy Velasquez makes this explicitly clear on 5:24 of this video! The "microtransactions" will be discussed closer to launch and this will be updated as we receive more information. However, they should cover things like clothing and cosmetics (and possibly animals and other modes of transportation.) Finally, if there is any question to the validity of no Pay to Win
    Originally Posted by stormshade
    We have no plans to sell the +5 Radiant Vorpal Sword of Immediate Dragon Slaying in Neverwinter.

There are no plans to make a quick dime off of players who just have to have that +5 suit of magical plate armor that just so happens to be wearable as cloth armor, and have a ridiculous amount of health regen and the ability to store any 6 spells of your choice for a 24 hours period of time.

Nor will will be selling other types of "power".

In short, pay to win is not what we want Neverwinter to be.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The secret to the cash shop is going to be the selling of different avatars for the forum. The avatar is, after all, cosmetic.

The funny thing about this is that I dont know if I should laugh at the statment or agree b:laugh
  • alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well, the best way to go, is the way that will make the most possible number of people play the game. Wether that is Free to play or "pay to win", that does not matter (although I suspect most players want to get ALL things for free, so F2P might be the way to go.). However I do hope that there will be more to buy with real money other than pure vanity(pets/mounts) etc., like an XP-boost-trinket/potion, in-game currency, crafting materials and maybe extra storage. Sort of a "Pay to catch up" for those of us that can't spend 18 hours/day in-game.
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As far as quality of life items I pretty sure we will see some type of resurrection potions, perhaps some form of XP boost extra character slots etc nothing earth shattering....

But the basic fact is no matter what is offered someone will scream Pay 2 win, it is the nature of things.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    my take would be things like exp, gold, more treasure potions/buff, improved stats probably most short term buffs, but also get these from playing game from chest mob whatever.

Mounts and pets, should get basic mounts and some pets from playing, again chest, mob drops or buy with ingame currency, but they could also do more speical mounts graphically, so basic would be a horse, special might be a unicorn, no difference between them except unicorn is cooler. Some might be rare finds in chest of mob or ingame currency or you can buy them.

Obviously there is the more charactor slots, bigger banks, shared bank and so on that most shop games have.

One thing i think might work well is getting actuially little d&d models of your actual character! I recon that might sell well.

I hope they do not make you pay for new races/classes, I kind of take that as content which they say you wont pay for. (also hoping for more races and classes)

Maybe graphics like weapons, so can always wonder about with that specially looking axe, just a graphical thing uses stats/special (and auras like fire/cold etc) of the weapon you weild but always looks like the special axe graphic?

just some thoughts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    lyfebane wrote: »
    my take would be things like exp, gold, more treasure potions/buff, improved stats probably most short term buffs, but also get these from playing game from chest mob whatever.

Mounts and pets, should get basic mounts and some pets from playing, again chest, mob drops or buy with ingame currency, but they could also do more speical mounts graphically, so basic would be a horse, special might be a unicorn, no difference between them except unicorn is cooler. Some might be rare finds in chest of mob or ingame currency or you can buy them.

Obviously there is the more charactor slots, bigger banks, shared bank and so on that most shop games have.

One thing i think might work well is getting actuially little d&d models of your actual character! I recon that might sell well.

I hope they do not make you pay for new races/classes, I kind of take that as content which they say you wont pay for. (also hoping for more races and classes)

Maybe graphics like weapons, so can always wonder about with that specially looking axe, just a graphical thing uses stats/special (and auras like fire/cold etc) of the weapon you weild but always looks like the special axe graphic?

just some thoughts.

I agree with most said here except these,

no way should they have stat increasing pots or whatnot in a game that has pvp even if it's temporary, nor do I think they should have loot drop increasing items. Lets face it, games that have these tend to nerf the drop rate drastically so it becomes almost a requirement to use them.

Lastly I don't mind different armor skins but no glowy stuff let that be only on upgraded gear etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Judging by STO and CO, I think you'll see races in the store, but not classes. You might see the multi-class build option in the store, but I think base classes will be standard, but then again this game isn't supposed to have a subscription option at all so I could be off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    I strongly encourage the developers not to include XP increases in the cash shop. The first time any player leaves because he has to pay money to advance his character at any reasonable rate (free to grind or pay to win), you'll have lost the opportunity to sell that player any of the myriad of other things in your store.
    Be more creative with your store than simply introducing anti-grind items. Hopefully, this game isn't about grinding.

Selling skins for mounts, armor, pets, all that seems fine. Selling temporary buff potions is... questionable. Selling loot buffs is questionable. Selling fast-travel items (like in-town only teleport scrolls or speed buffs) seems pretty harmless and convenience only. Especially if you sell items that teleport your whole party to you.
    Again, I think the Foundry provides a good opportunity for selling items in the cash shop. Perhaps limit players to publishing 1 dungeons a week. Sell a token in the store to be able to publish another dungeon even when you are on timer, and reward authors who make popular dungeons with free tokens.

Never sell any equipable item in the store. If you sell starter gear in the store, the first thing players will notice when they log into the game is that if you don't pay, you will from the beginning be behind the players dumping money into the game. If you sell end-game gear in the store... I shouldn't even have to talk about how bad that is.
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I strongly encourage the developers not to include XP increases in the cash shop. The first time any player leaves because he has to pay money to advance his character at any reasonable rate (free to grind or pay to win), you'll have lost the opportunity to sell that player any of the myriad of other things in your store.
    Be more creative with your store than simply introducing anti-grind items. Hopefully, this game isn't about grinding.

Selling skins for mounts, armor, pets, all that seems fine. Selling temporary buff potions is... questionable. Selling loot buffs is questionable. Selling fast-travel items (like in-town only teleport scrolls or speed buffs) seems pretty harmless and convenience only. Especially if you sell items that teleport your whole party to you.
    Again, I think the Foundry provides a good opportunity for selling items in the cash shop. Perhaps limit players to publishing 1 dungeons a week. Sell a token in the store to be able to publish another dungeon even when you are on timer, and reward authors who make popular dungeons with free tokens.

Never sell any equipable item in the store. If you sell starter gear in the store, the first thing players will notice when they log into the game is that if you don't pay, you will from the beginning be behind the players dumping money into the game. If you sell end-game gear in the store... I shouldn't even have to talk about how bad that is.

I agree with the majority or this post with the exception of temp buff potions ect. there is a workaround make it Only useable outside a PvP area or match, once you decide to enter a PvP area or match, it either dispells or is turned off until the match is over or you leave the PvP area. The other I disagree with is XP boosts, I'm talking about an increase to earned XP not just an outright given amount of XP, but an XP boost is a plus to folks who don't have alot of time to play and level sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have to say that I want to see XP-Boost pack in the store, not everyone has all that much time to game since they work and have famly.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    If you want an XP boost in the store, what you should be asking for is ways available IN THE GAME to find them, or that characters level up AT A REASONABLE RATE without having to pay for it.

Your ability to advance your character should never be limited by money. In-store XP boosts separate two friends who play for the same amount of time when one pays and the other doesn't.

Free to grind, or pay to win. I highly discourage including XP pots in the store.