What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

cash transactions - bring the details!

Comments

• aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    mokah wrote: »
    How about you just re-read my post.

I read it... and was looking for more specifics due to you promoting your past "expertise" relating to NWN UGC as well as more details how your "group" combats what you say is unjust... and was willing to support you if you could change my mind. Your attitude makes me doubt a positive reply but I'm a big boy, I hope you are as well.

I'm specifically interested in why you think supporting good authors would increase cheating, stealing, lies, and "all sorts of" voter fraud... when those who play to cheat will cheat anyway. How about all those developing content in an honest way? There must be a balance so the good guys feel compelled to produce good content and the bad guys are held accountable. Has your group came up with any concrete ideas and what did Bioware do or not do about it?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    As a long time NWN author I've seen what happens when rewards for authors enter the mix. Bioware even hired module authors at one point and while these individual people were hired based on their qualifications, it set off all sorts of stupid shenanigans by the community that included cheating, stealing, lies, and all sorts of voter fraud. It got even worse when the Premium module system was introduced.

*What sort of shenanigans? I don't see any problem hiring mod creators, and how it could impact the modding community in a negative way other than promoting competition.*

Quite often you see all sorts of talented authors fall through the cracks, mainly because there are just a lot of other mods.
    *Every system will have this problem. What do you think we can do to make sure the good ones don't get buried, other than explore the content and promote it ourselves? *
    Those authors will never get rewarded, under this plan.
    *At least some will... I think you're just plain wrong on this one. In the Foundry video he clearly explains how authors can be rewarded, and how easy it is to find their content.*
    This sort of issue is the main reason I founded the AME (Academy of Modding Excellence) in the NWN/NWN2 community to help combat the problem.
    *Ah, now I see. You want them to emulate your model. So, tell us more about it. *

I don't really want to have anything to do with a community that has a pay to build system, since the authors with $$ would have an advantage of those that didn't. That is bad for art and bad for creativity.
    *That's a very good point, and a fine line has to be drawn between the point where the creators of the game have to make money and how much of the game modders and players are entitled to for free. I think a good system would be limiting, based on time, the amount of content an author could release based on a payment system, the currency of which could be obtained only by creating popular modules.*
    This is why I prefer games with the B2P model like Guildwars 2. It is less likely to add in cash-grab type tactics to keep things going. ArenaNet already made back their investment in box sales.
    * I 100% agree with you here.*
    These rewards for authors might seem like a good idea, but unless there are some checks in place, you are going to see some people go to weird and wild lengths to get their mods on top. To that sort of thing, I say yuck, and pass.
    *So please, suggest the sorts of checks and balances that would be needed to remain in place to get your "yes please" vote instead of your "yuck and pass" vote.

My responses in asteriks.
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    Why you say that?
    99% of foundry missions will proberbly be kill 10 rats missions.
    The last 1% will be authors with skill, that knows how to use the foundry to its full potential. Is it wrong if such authors are rewarded the abillity to create more content for us for free?

I disagree there are many types of players out there which like different types of experiences. All you have to do is look at is Page 8-10 of the current dm's guide to realize this. There are types of players not covered there as well such as a builder.

Some folks like hack and slash and as long as they kick the snot out of monsters there happy. You may not care for this style of play but there are plenty that do.

I enjoy a varied palate in my gaming but this does not mean any one type of game play is wrong or undesirable.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    How about you just re-read my post. I'm not about to recount the last 15 years of modding community experience to you.

I agree with andre here. Your arguments are too vague without any specifics. You don't have to recount any experience, but you can give an example in the context of NW foundry - simply how?
    Once you are specific, it can be argued and maybe even a solution can be found to it.
    edited October 2012
    The last 1% will be authors with skill, that knows how to use the foundry to its full potential. Is it wrong if such authors are rewarded the abillity to create more content for us for free?

I don't agree with that estimate. A lot of DMs and players have stories to tell which are amazing. You can bet on me that I will keep wiki on foundry updated on how to do various tricks to iron out the technicalities. This will make common scenarios in stories pretty easy to recreate.

Hence the percentage of quality quests will be larger.
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I don't agree with that estimate. A lot of DMs and players have stories to tell which are amazing. You can bet on me that I will keep wiki on foundry updated on how to do various tricks to iron out the technicalities. This will make common scenarios in stories pretty easy to recreate.

Hence the percentage of quality quests will be larger.

Thats a good idea.
    And I think alot of the guys at Starbase UGC will be doing the same thing.

But what would help alot is if someone would create a site, or thread here, where content is reviewed.

Not sure Starbase UGC dose that all that much..
    edited October 2012
    Thats a good idea.
    And I think alot of the guys at Starbase UGC will be doing the same thing.

But what would help alot is if someone would create a site, or thread here, where content is reviewed.

Not sure Starbase UGC dose that all that much..

Crypticapolis promised us when I made "we need NW wiki" thread that once game is near open beta, cryptic will make an official wiki for us. For now I am collecting data from what all is available and once they start the wiki, I will start adding the information on it.

As of now, from the delay and all, I am not sure if foundry will actually be released as they have shown us in demo - or they are going to add surprising additions to have a shock value - but once game is near open beta, I am going to add as much I can to all the info.
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well you certainly are welcome to your opinion of the situation and of me personally. I stated several problems and a solution that I founded to help with the NWN communities issue in my post. Read it.

Mokah you've actually been very negative in many posts about the UGC content. I believe that truthseeker indicated that there would be 8 slots for players (as a starter that seems quite generous). It was also indicated that the most popular modding authors would be rewarded via with additional slots. Even if they are purchasable through the store (which I don't see a problem with since it can be rewarded without purchasing) if those same people keep throwing out <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they won't get much notice.

Now my question is why do you continually post about how horrible this is going to be if you've already made your decision to pass? You've made it quite clear that you think the UGC content is not up to snuff and have disparaged said content and reward system. So what keeps bringing you back? I've yet to see anything you've posted about UGC that could be construed as positive.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I agree with andre here. Your arguments are too vague without any specifics. You don't have to recount any experience, but you can give an example in the context of NW foundry - simply how?
    Once you are specific, it can be argued and maybe even a solution can be found to it.
    Buddies and clans/guild voting for each other and downvoting others. And catering to the lowest common denominator, among other things that happened, repeatedly.

"Dungeon of the Scantily Clad Women" will be getting the highest votes.
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    hmmm....what an interesting turn in the conversation. So you are saying it would be helpful for the NWO modding community to have an outside, non-biased community of active community members that reviewed and promoted player made content on a regular basis, thus assuring that lesser known, but talented individuals got some sorely deserved recognition for their hard work??

I wish the NWN community would have thought of that.

I'm not being vague, I'm being terse. I don't need to go into specifics to prove anything. I've seen it happen, and I'd hate for it to happen in the NWO community. Simple as that. Look at the Minecraft modding community if you want another example of money getting in the way. Minecraft modding authors can use sites like AdFly to generate revenue for their work. Sounds great, right? Except that people steal links and downloads simply because money in involved. Many talented mod authors have since closed up shop and moved on because of getting burned. It happens. Cryptic would be wise to seek solutions to this.

Also, Bioware canned the premium module concept because they could never figure out the legalities of paying mod authors for their work. Money got in the way, and stifled creativity.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    My apologies. I misunderstood.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    Buddies and clans/guild voting for each other and downvoting others. And catering to the lowest common denominator, among other things that happened, repeatedly.

As a player, all that you can really do to combat this is run the content, and vote according to your own opinion, and encourage other players to do the same.
    There could also be a sort of check in place that wouldn't let players vote for content that they haven't yet run, vote for content only after providing a short feedback section for it (so that if they make a troll post like lolbestmissionever then rate it 1 star their vote is removed), or restricting players to not voting for missions created by players in their own guild.
    From this small number of options I've outlined, to me the second one seems pretty good. Voters MUST provide feedback, and it must be reviewed by someone at Cryptic and deemed worthy of a vote or not.
    edited October 2012
    Buddies and clans/guild voting for each other and downvoting others.

Well, when a clan or guild of lets say 50 people dose that, it dont matter all that much after lets say 20K of other players have had their say..

EDIT: And 1 more thing, one dont get to rate untill one finish the mission. And I dont think that many clan/guild members wanna take the time it takes to down/top rate a mission.
    edited October 2012
    I am not going to address your sly attack on my integrity of opinions, but I don't see any hostility to mokah in my previous post. It was a simple invitation to put specific points or plausible example so the problem could be quantified and argued. This may result to a solution also.
    I'm only telling you what actually happened, which is what you asked for, to be told what happened.
    edited October 2012
    So you are saying it would be helpful for the NWO modding community to have an outside, non-biased community of active community members that reviewed and promoted player made content on a regular basis, thus assuring that lesser known, but talented individuals got some sorely deserved recognition for their hard work??

I wish the NWN community would have thought of that.

I don't agree. I think all player created missions should be reviewed internally, by Cryptic, before being published, and that everyone who wishes to cast a vote on that content has to submit feedback, reviewed by Cryptic, in order to cast their vote.
    Player made communities of modders will certainly arise nonetheless, but will they really be able to reward modders better than Cryptic and the players in-game can? I don't think so. However, they certainly will be of use to any player interested in finding more content. The more tools, the better.
    It's obvious that what you're really trying to do here, though, is promote your own work.
    edited October 2012
    ... Cryptic would be wise to seek solutions to this.

Also, Bioware canned the premium module concept because they could never figure out the legalities of paying mod authors for their work. Money got in the way, and stifled creativity.

Actually cryptic is limiting it to donation of in game currency only. That in game currency cannot be transported to other games, nor can it be used to "Redeem" any cash. It is similar to PWI game - everything you do you get some tokens. Like remain logged in for 24 hours, do stupid things, get to level x etc.

However, I don't see why cryptic can't have regular contest to give away goodies like figurines or other monetory stuff to winners or top modders. I think many games are trying to do that with various contests already.
    edited October 2012

In a game with potentially millions of accounts, how do you expect any guild to be able to gather enough votes for a guildie to sway any UGC one way or another? At the end of the day others will play the UGC in question and will have their own opinions for or against it, and are free to comment about it. Good content will spread regardless what guild the developer is from and bad content will be bad. I just cant buy that the masses will continue to play bad content because any one guild votes content good when its the pits.

Now as far as dishonest developers/guilds/cheaters go in relation to this... there needs to be a way to report content that was designed for the sole purpose to exploit the game, to offend anyone's civil rights (religion/sex/race etc), or advertize a product or service for profit.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Mokah you've actually been very negative in many posts about the UGC content. I believe that truthseeker indicated that there would be 8 slots for players (as a starter that seems quite generous). It was also indicated that the most popular modding authors would be rewarded via with additional slots. Even if they are purchasable through the store (which I don't see a problem with since it can be rewarded without purchasing) if those same people keep throwing out <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they won't get much notice.

Now my question is why do you continually post about how horrible this is going to be if you've already made your decision to pass? You've made it quite clear that you think the UGC content is not up to snuff and have disparaged said content and reward system. So what keeps bringing you back? I've yet to see anything you've posted about UGC that could be construed as positive.

I'm sorry if you interpret my opinion of a certain feature as negative. If my opinion differs from yours, how is that being negative? If we receive UGC slots but have to buy more, that restricts creativity and rewards people who have $$. I have seen in several modding communities that when money is involved (and Cryptic's UGC rewards does count as payment) then people will do things that will negatively affect the modding community. I have brought this up, because I think it would benefit this community to consider these possibilities because history loves to repeat itself.

I would thank you to stop attempting to put words in my mouth or incorrectly paint me as someone who is just a troll. I have asked questions, and stated opinions. If you don't like that, I can't do anything about that.

If you disagree with my opinion, fine, I'm used to that. Just keep your personal attacks to yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    ... If we receive UGC slots but have to buy more, that restricts creativity and rewards people who have $$. ...

This part has been addressed by crypticmapolis(dev). The rewards you get from donations (if your mission is popular) can be used to buy more slots. Thus a popular author can make infinite content for people who are donating. To me its a perfect system in theory.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Heya everyone. Let's try to not to pick apart each others opinions and views. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether we disagree or not. Let's definitely not degrade anyone's opinions either even when discussing our opinions.

Thanks!
    ~Zebular
    edited October 2012
    If you disagree with my opinion, fine, I'm used to that. Just keep your personal attacks to yourself.

I know for me I'm excited to welcome Neverwinter Nights community authors - and know firsthand of the abilities and dedication of the best modders to develop amazing Dungeons & Dragons content for the masses. The NWN community in whole were a fiercely loyal and thriving community.. and some are already here and waiting to reproduce the magic regardless the tools in place in Neverwinter Online. They just want to tell their story.

I know firsthand some in the esteemed NWN and DDO communities who will come forth to tell amazing stories, some of which are already in the works.

edited October 2012
    This part has been addressed by crypticmapolis(dev). The rewards you get from donations (if your mission is popular) can be used to buy more slots.

This is news to me!

So, if that type of currancy you donate would be like the same as you can trade for Zen, then authurs can grind for it themselfs if they want to. Now that would be a win!
    edited October 2012

I would thank you to stop attempting to put words in my mouth or incorrectly paint me as someone who is just a troll. I have asked questions, and stated opinions. If you don't like that, I can't do anything about that.

Disagreeing with an opinion is the best way to get more information - so it is good. However many of your concerns were asked before and answered in the foundry thread by crypticmapolis. Many of these questions I remember myself asking those in the thread. So it would also be nice to have a look at that thread before forming an opinion. Afterall it is a game which has not been released yet.
    edited October 2012
    I know for me I'm excited to welcome Neverwinter Nights community authors - and know firsthand of the abilities and dedication of the best modders to develop amazing Dungeons & Dragons content for the masses. The NWN community in whole were a fiercely loyal and thriving community.. and some are already here and waiting to reproduce the magic regardless the tools in place in Neverwinter Online. They just want to tell their story.

I know firsthand some in the esteemed NWN and DDO communities who will come forth to tell amazing stories, some of which are already in the works.
    Start here and read down. Then name the NWN people so we can look at their mods.
    edited October 2012
    This is news to me!

So, if that type of currancy you donate would be like the same as you can trade for Zen, then authurs can grind for it themselfs if they want to. Now that would be a win!

From their last reply in the interview, they are yet to decide on pricing system. So we do not know yet how much of those Astral diamonds will convert to items. However, I think and this is my opinion, that you won't be able to convert astral diamond to zen. Otherwise being good at one game may bleed over to other games which seems less likely.

So I believe, from the donations the content creator may only be able to buy items in this game.

Also, the devs may also restrict the donations to buy slots for foundry or only certain items. So it is something to look out for when they reveal cash shop and stuff. But at least slots can be bought from donations.
    edited October 2012
    Start here and read down. Then name the NWN people.

meh.. They have put a lot of game time into the game. But I do think they will try this game! and the foundry..

Not so sure if they will stay...
    edited October 2012
    Disagreeing with an opinion is the best way to get more information - so it is good. However many of your concerns were asked before and answered in the foundry thread by crypticmapolis. Many of these questions I remember myself asking those in the thread. So it would also be nice to have a look at that thread before forming an opinion. Afterall it is a game which has not been released yet.

Only this one issue has been answered elsewhere. I asked several questions myself in the foundry thread and received answers from Cryptic. Those answers help to form my opinions. I read and follow this game just as much as you. If I ask a question that has been asked before, then I apologize, but I will not stand for personal attacks, which is what I was responding too.

All of my posts have been about the game and how it functions. Trying to find out more. Personal attacks are not welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Last reply on this here. If anyone feels something is a personal attack or otherwise against the rules and hasn't been Moderated yet, please feel free to send me or one of the other Moderators a Private Message.

Let's refrain from discussing rule violations any further and get back to topic! :-)

Thanks!
    ~Zebular
    edited October 2012
    Start here and read down. Then name the NWN people so we can look at their mods.

The bulk of that thread is 6 months old. We knew far less 6 months ago than we do now. Plenty of Cryptic hate. Plenty of NWO hate. It was the same scenario in the DDO community. Still is in many ways. But, some opinions are changing for the better as Cryptic releases more information.

I'm not really interested in looking at NWN 2 mod content because I dont play that game currently. Not really sure what you are getting at, but if you'd like to discus specific NWN authors and what they can bring to NWO have at...

I think when the game releases, many NWN modders will give NWO a shot. However those wanting an RPG aka NWN 3 (many of us did and still do) and can not wrap their hands around an MMO no matter what... will steer clear of this game because they will never be satisfied. That's a perfectly respectable opinion... but even those folks I'd still welcome to give NWO Foundry a shot before finalizing their opinion.

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    We have no plans to sell the +5 Radiant Vorpal Sword of Immediate Dragon Slaying in Neverwinter.

There are no plans to make a quick dime off of players who just have to have that +5 suit of magical plate armor that just so happens to be wearable as cloth armor, and have a ridiculous amount of health regen and the ability to store any 6 spells of your choice for a 24 hours period of time.

Nor will will be selling other types of "power".

In short, pay to win is not what we want Neverwinter to be.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Maybe we can get truth to put this in the FAQ, I'm sure we will get many clones of this as the community grows. I have heard you say this before Jack has said it, Craig has said it and each time the subject is broached their is some hair pulling in the community......maybe that would curb it a bit.

Always the optimist I am b:chuckle
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!