test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

cash transactions - bring the details!

nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
this will ultimately decide for A LOT of players if they will even touch this game...so bring up the details - will there be lock boxes, will there be reviving costs, will there be pay to win itmes

i cant take this stupid "only cosmetic items" anymore, when WE ALL KNOW it wont be true...
Post edited by nemesis788450 on

Comments

• subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    this will ultimately decide for A LOT of players if they will even touch this game...so bring up the details - will there be lock boxes, will there be reviving costs, will there be pay to win itmes

i cant take this stupid "only cosmetic items" anymore, when WE ALL KNOW it wont be true...

First, its free to play, so the fact that the game has a cash shop will prob not scare people away from trying the game.

Lockboxes, yeah, we will prob see em, they seam to be a good way for cryptic to make money, just have a look at STO. nd there is nothing wrong with it either imo, since cryptic has to make money to keep the game running and to be able to develop more content!

P2W items, dont think you will see them, since they know that this is one of the things we players hate the most, and if you can buy it from the store, you most likely will be able to get the same thing in game as a reward or as a drop!

If you have a look at STO or CO, you will see that free to play is a win for us players!
    If you want something that looks nice, you can buy it for a small fee.

F2P is a win!

/Cheers!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    As I am already quoting, I will quote their stand last year:-
    A couple of quick points:

1. You don't delay a game by a year if you're not going to consider it a serious investment and give it a full shot. This is a good thing for Neverwinter.

2. We have no plans to make Neverwinter a "pay to win" game. Just like you don't delay a game by a year if you're not planning on giving it a full shot, you also don't buy a Western MMO developer, to have them make Eastern MMO style games.

I know some of you are very concerned, but please seriously consider the above two points. This is a good thing for all of our games at Cryptic Studios, and we're very happy with the change of ownership. We feel the PWE is a going to be a wonderful partner which will allow us to continue to do what we do best, and will help us to do it better.

Thanks,

Stormshade

hehe. Even if they say it a hundred times, if you won't listen - what can they do? Give them a break!
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    all bull****

look at every single AAA free to play game and they ALL are pay to win - lock boxes are pay to win in the end...
    edited October 2012
    all bull****

look at every single AAA free to play game and they ALL are pay to win - lock boxes are pay to win in the end...

Then how come the best weapons in STO is something taht I only see on the exchange in game but never in a lockbox or in the Z-Store?

And if you think its bull**** then I surgest you download STO or CO, since they are free to play, and try them out and have a look for ya self!

Look, I'm gonna be honest, it wont take long before you are drewling over the items in Z-Store, but you wont have to buy any of them to make it to cap or even having problem with end content!
    edited October 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    Then how come the best weapons in STO is something taht I only see on the exchange in game but never in a lockbox or in the Z-Store?

And if you think its bull**** then I surgest you download STO or CO, since they are free to play, and try them out and have a look for ya self!

The CO and STO were initially pay games converted slowly to f2p model. NW is f2p grounds up. Hence you can't really compare them.

@nemesis788450
    Official statement has been given. If you think of bovine bowel movements when reading it, its your opinion and no one but you can change it.
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    The CO and STO were initially pay games converted slowly to f2p model. NW is f2p grounds up. Hence you can't really compare them.

?True, but i do think that if we look on STO and CO we will have a pretty good idea on how NW will look like =)
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Nobody believed more than I did that Cryptic was full of it more than I was when I first heard of their promise of a vanity and consumables only cash shop. I believed, and still believe that somewhere down the line, you will see the words "non-essentials" and/or "convenience" creep in. However I've had a turnaround of opinion of late, and beleive Cryptic is trying to come up with a system that lets you play Neverwinter without paying a dime, unless you feel the need to enhance your player experience. I'm expecting folks to be surprised once Cryptic finally announces details of its cashshop sometime in 20... :)

Character slots, buying additional bank/inventory space are two examples of "non-essentials". And I think most of us could agree that these two "non-essentials" would be a respectable way to raise revenue.

Now as long as they keep "non-essentials" to mean "quality of life" benefits of play, I think they will make a fortune and have a relatively surprised and happy playerbase. I think they can "run on this" and promote it and many will write/type/tweet about it, and I believe PW/Cryptic would show a profit sooner than utilizing a blatant pay2win as DDO did.

As soon as pay-2-win items creeps in however, you'll hear people screaming. But the problem here is defining pay-2-win. Pay-2-win to one means nonessential/convenience to another.

I would advise you to reassess as I did and hold off fireing the cannons for awhile. It will be a lot more free access to a new player than DDO ever was, unless they completely fabricated their words. I believe you will get more "for free" than you are believing. If you like the game enough to play longterm, I also believe you'll have plenty of ways to support the developer if that's your thing. Either way, you gave me my next poll idea Nem!

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We have no plans to sell the +5 Radiant Vorpal Sword of Immediate Dragon Slaying in Neverwinter.

There are no plans to make a quick dime off of players who just have to have that +5 suit of magical plate armor that just so happens to be wearable as cloth armor, and have a ridiculous amount of health regen and the ability to store any 6 spells of your choice for a 24 hours period of time.

Nor will will be selling other types of "power".

In short, pay to win is not what we want Neverwinter to be.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited October 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    We have no plans to sell the +5 Radiant Vorpal Sword of Immediate Dragon Slaying in Neverwinter.

There are no plans to make a quick dime off of players who just have to have that +5 suit of magical plate armor that just so happens to be wearable as cloth armor, and have a ridiculous amount of health regen and the ability to store any 6 spells of your choice for a 24 hours period of time.

Thanks,

Stormshade

YAY!

See, nothing to worry about!
    edited October 2012
    ?True, but i do think that if we look on STO and CO we will have a pretty good idea on how NW will look like =)

Yes, but if I were to guess, NW won't have LTS so no pay-to-customize your character completely (freeform). But I do wonder sometimes, what would be convenience?

I hope things which save time - like teleportation spells for party, increasing speed in no-combat city areas etc. Things like that would help casual gamers like me with less muscles but lot of bulging ideas... oops! I mean less time but lot of bulging passion.
    edited October 2012

Thanks,

Stormshade

Freikin nice. Great to hear something like this.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Yes, but if I were to guess, NW won't have LTS so no pay-to-customize your character completely (freeform). But I do wonder sometimes, what would be convenience?

Whats LTS?

And I do agree on that full customizing your character will be something we will have to pay for, aswell as on the teleportation packs!
  • borisbotborisbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited October 2012
    There is a interview where it might be possible to pay for respecs b:shocked. I really hope this was an error in the interview because that would be so dumb.
    edited October 2012
    borisbot wrote: »
    There is a interview where it might be possible to pay for respecs b:shocked. I really hope this was an error in the interview because that would be so dumb.

Prob not a misstake. But I do think you will get one for free when you hit cap.

And if I'm not wrong, in CO you can respec your toon using ingame currency. Might be the way they go aswell, but I doubt it, since they would make alot of money on respecing.
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Thanks,

Stormshade

What about pay to build? I know that there are advantages to a healthy community to limit the number of UGC that can be created...we don't need 4000 1 room dungeons called "KoBold Kill3rzzz!!", but setting up restrictions on the number of adventures a player can make will also restrict the building community.

If we only get five slots for UGC, for example, how do I get more? Do I buy them? Do I have to rely on the community "approving" more as a reward? Is it time based? Player level based? Can I buy UGC slots with in game gold?

As a builder, I do not like being restricted, and also would never ever like having to "free-up" slots for new UGC that I would create. If the Foundry has a cash shop tie-in, I will be very disappointed. Currently in STO the foundry is restricted to membership paying players only, which essentially tells me that Cryptic is using $$ as a gate for building...bad form, IMO.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamruneiamrune Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    borisbot wrote: »

You are misinformed as to what respec is, methinks. They didn't say, "Respecs will only be available in a cash shop".

Offering Respecs in cash shop, is a convenience, and there is going to be a way to earn them in-game as well, so it's even less "P2W".. It's "added convenience".

You know, like in Champions online and STO.

Respecs are necessary in online games because being forced to live with character gimping choices 'forever' kills games fast.

Computer games with action elements are different beasts than tabletop RPGs with a GM, and require different answers to some issues such as player power inequality.
    edited October 2012
    mokah wrote: »
    What about pay to build? I know that there are advantages to a healthy community to limit the number of UGC that can be created...we don't need 4000 1 room dungeons called "KoBold Kill3rzzz!!", but setting up restrictions on the number of adventures a player can make will also restrict the building community.

If we only get five slots for UGC, for example, how do I get more? Do I buy them? Do I have to rely on the community "approving" more as a reward? Is it time based? Player level based? Can I buy UGC slots with in game gold?

As a builder, I do not like being restricted, and also would never ever like having to "free-up" slots for new UGC that I would create. If the Foundry has a cash shop tie-in, I will be very disappointed. Currently in STO the foundry is restricted to membership paying players only, which essentially tells me that Cryptic is using $$ as a gate for building...bad form, IMO.

I have ha feeling you wont get more than 3 UGC slots.
    We might be able to buy more in Z-store.
    And I know that its been said that authors that get high rates will be awarded more slots for free =)
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    It's nice to see a developer chime in to reassure us.
    Frankly, I've played lots of MMOs, both F2P, sub only, and a mix in between.
    In the end, I've decided that I would rather pay for a subscription for a quality game than take the risk of participating in a cash shop which almost always inevitably results in a horrifying game experience without using it. The quality of "free to play" games usually looks and feels like exactly what you would expect from a "free" game: sub-par.
    I'd like to be proved wrong by this game and these developers. Think of interesting ways to make money from the game without leaving Free to Play players feeling like they are missing out on something or strong-armed into purchases just to enjoy the game.
    I think there are two things that are going to keep this game alive. The first one is pretty obvious: paying customers. The second one is The Foundry. Instead of players sitting around grinding content and complaining in between updates or expansions, they'll be able to create their own new content.
    And I think the second detail I pointed out provides a direct path for the first option.
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have played Champions Online when it was P2P and when it was F2P having a life time account. I have never seen lockboxes but i havn't played recently been in two betas one of which the nda is lifted Mechwarrior Online.

I enjoyed CO when it was P2P i enjoyed it when it was F2P. Some of the new changes i am not a fan of but the new content i have really enjoyed. I have never had to pay any real money other than the initial account. Just playing the game from month to month i get free cash to spend on new costumes for my many many heroes.
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have ha feeling you wont get more than 3 UGC slots.
    We might be able to buy more in Z-store.
    And I know that its been said that authors that get high rates will be awarded more slots for free =)

Yuck.

Pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Yuck.

Pass.

Why you say that?
    99% of foundry missions will proberbly be kill 10 rats missions.
    The last 1% will be authors with skill, that knows how to use the foundry to its full potential. Is it wrong if such authors are rewarded the abillity to create more content for us for free?
    edited October 2012
    Why you say that?
    99% of foundry missions will proberbly be kill 10 rats missions.
    The last 1% will be authors with skill, that knows how to use the foundry to its full potential. Is it wrong if such authors are rewarded the abillity to create more content for us for free?

As a long time NWN author I've seen what happens when rewards for authors enter the mix. Bioware even hired module authors at one point and while these individual people were hired based on their qualifications, it set off all sorts of stupid shenanigans by the community that included cheating, stealing, lies, and all sorts of voter fraud. It got even worse when the Premium module system was introduced.

Quite often you see all sorts of talented authors fall through the cracks, mainly because there are just a lot of other mods. Those authors will never get rewarded, under this plan. This sort of issue is the main reason I founded the AME (Academy of Modding Excellence) in the NWN/NWN2 community to help combat the problem.

I don't really want to have anything to do with a community that has a pay to build system, since the authors with $$ would have an advantage of those that didn't. That is bad for art and bad for creativity. This is why I prefer games with the B2P model like Guildwars 2. It is less likely to add in cash-grab type tactics to keep things going. ArenaNet already made back their investment in box sales.

These rewards for authors might seem like a good idea, but unless there are some checks in place, you are going to see some people go to weird and wild lengths to get their mods on top. To that sort of thing, I say yuck, and pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    Of course there should and will be checks in place, and of course shmarmy people are going to try to work their way around them anyways. It's not just Cryptic's job to reward good authors, it's also the job of the community to make sure that the proper people are justly rewarded for their efforts to make a better game as well. And it looks like Cryptic is providing a system for that. Instead of just saying, "no, there's too much risk involved in a reward system," I say, "yes, there should be rewards, and let's make sure we do it right."
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    It's nice to see a developer chime in to reassure us.
    Frankly, I've played lots of MMOs, both F2P, sub only, and a mix in between.
    In the end, I've decided that I would rather pay for a subscription for a quality game than take the risk of participating in a cash shop which almost always inevitably results in a horrifying game experience without using it. The quality of "free to play" games usually looks and feels like exactly what you would expect from a "free" game: sub-par.

I would strongly disagree on that.

There are tons of p2p MMOs that are absolutely sub-par, far worse than your average free to play. You don't generally hear a lot about them though - they are very small in playerbase. You only hear about the top titles, those that are big and high budget and well advertised. For every WoW and SWTOR and TERA there are many subscription MMOs with barely any gameplay value and graphics that would make any game developer of the early 2000s feel ashamed.

Even in terms of actually good games: I have played a bit of the Tera demo, and though I cannot comment on things about content quality and whatnot, I can tell you for a fact that the other open world action MMORPG, RaiderZ, has much better combat and graphics that run infinitely better while still being just as good looking. So already, a f2p game beats its p2p counterpart in both gameplay and graphics.

Then, if we go to the only 2 p2p MMOs that are actually still succesful (WoW and Eve) they're absolutely blown out of the water by most f2ps in most aspects. Graphics, gameplay, you name it. Lots of games you'll find in this site are just flat out better. The only reason people play WoW and Eve still is because of the communities made over all these years these games have been running.
    And there still is no p2p game out there to be called trully great. They have all failed one way or another. SWTOR has already gone f2p and, quite frankly, it's a good game bvut a terrible MMO. TSW is a nice concept excecuted horribly, that nearly sank just 1 month in and nowbarely keeps afloat. And I haven't heard anything about Tera and Rift, be it good or bad, for months - they both have fallen into some obscure state of mediocrity.

Now, that is not to say that f2p games are not terrible more often than not - they are - but that's mainly because of the older f2p games, those that came when the f2p movement was just begining and p2p was still the way to go. Most people have their negative predesposition twards f2p formed solely because of these older games But that is changing.

A few years back, PWE used to publish games only cheap games like Battle of the Immortals and Jade Dynasty. Now they publish AAA games like Blacklight and RaiderZ, that are better than most paid-for games out there on their respective genres. High-profile developers like Crytek and Valve are openly going for f2p games - Crytek even having said thet they're only gonna be making f2p games after Crysis 3.

So no, f2p absolutely does not mean lesser quality than p2p. On the contrary, it actually means higher revenue, and now that this has been proven over the years, it does show on the games' quality as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    As a long time NWN author I've seen what happens when rewards for authors enter the mix. Bioware even hired module authors at one point and while these individual people were hired based on their qualifications, it set off all sorts of stupid shenanigans by the community that included cheating, stealing, lies, and all sorts of voter fraud. It got even worse when the Premium module system was introduced.

Quite often you see all sorts of talented authors fall through the cracks, mainly because there are just a lot of other mods. Those authors will never get rewarded, under this plan. This sort of issue is the main reason I founded the AME (Academy of Modding Excellence) in the NWN/NWN2 community to help combat the problem.

I don't really want to have anything to do with a community that has a pay to build system, since the authors with $$ would have an advantage of those that didn't. That is bad for art and bad for creativity. This is why I prefer games with the B2P model like Guildwars 2. It is less likely to add in cash-grab type tactics to keep things going. ArenaNet already made back their investment in box sales.

These rewards for authors might seem like a good idea, but unless there are some checks in place, you are going to see some people go to weird and wild lengths to get their mods on top. To that sort of thing, I say yuck, and pass.

How about being specific. Give us five specific negatives for rewarding good UGC developers, as well as the way you would change it and why.

edited October 2012
    @ Vindicon: You can disagree with me and shove all your experiences in my face you want to, but my experiences with a wide variety of games has led me to be extremely wary of cash shops and anything "free to play." Obviously, I am nonetheless extremely excited about this game, and, as you seem to have failed to gather from the part of my post you didn't bother including in the quote, I encourage Cryptic to reverse my opinion on this matter. I hope they can; but you, however, cannot.
    edited October 2012
    How about being specific. Give us five specific negatives for rewarding good UGC developers, as well as the way you would change it and why.

How about you just re-read my post. I'm not about to recount the last 15 years of modding community experience to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    How about you just re-read my post. I'm not about to recount the last 15 years of modding community experience to you.

I'm actually quite interested in hearing some examples as well, as they could provide good insight in establishing a system that works instead of something that doesn't. Without examples, your post simply comes off as negativity and paranoia.
    edited October 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I'm actually quite interested in hearing some examples as well, as they could provide good insight in establishing a system that works instead of something that doesn't. Without examples, your post simply comes off as negativity and paranoia.

Well you certainly are welcome to your opinion of the situation and of me personally. I stated several problems and a solution that I founded to help with the NWN communities issue in my post. Read it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    I don't really want to have anything to do with a community that has a pay to build system, since the authors with $$ would have an advantage of those that didn't.

Well, nothing is stoping ya from over writing the missions on the slots you have!
    Or, for that matter, to create a new account and create 3 new missions! (dont kow if this is against the rules, but alot of us has atleast 2 accounts ;)..)

And if a "bad author" wants to buy more slots, why not let him, with the rating system his missions will not show up on top of the list anyway, no matter how many missions he creates.

And if a "good authors" wants to buy more slots, how is that a bad thing for the author that dont want to?

If you create 3 missions or 10 dont matter on the rating, since we most likely will rate the mission, and not the author!

And if I'm not misstaken, we will be able to subscribe or follow a certan author if we want to.

If your thing is to make content, you will most likely get good at it. And I do support ya fully. But if you want me to spend time on what you create, it has to be good.

And if you worry that your content wont show up or reach all that many players, then advertis.
    Like AdmiralMurphy did for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6030c81iis0