test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plz bring back our magical musician

Comments

• jfrank123xjfrank123x Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Yes we really need the bard i hate playing just hack and slash or just magic! I want best of both worlds! Jack of all trades master of none. I play DDO and bard is my fave class lol thanks and hope to see all of you in game as a bard:)
    edited November 2012
    Man i will be so upset if bards and other classic classes don't make the cut for this game! I am still going to play regardless and will be a paying customer at least 10 bucks a week or more. I love games and i love to support the games I love. I am a huge neverwinter D&D fan I own my own bussiness and would love to have some posters or whatever i can get my mitts on to display at my cell phone shop, so I can nerd out with customers. Anyone have a little more inside info or Stormshade ya hear this? Anyways game on peeps and will see you in game when it happens!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    I remember them saying a while back that there really is no limit to the races and classes they can add to the game. However, I have a feeling that the first classes we'll see at or soon after launch will be just the core classes, represented by one or two builds, that we have in the core 4e PHB: Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard.

So far, the builds of those above that are confirmed are Control Wizard, Guardian Fighter, and Trickster Rogue
    (also the Devoted Cleric which is listed on the China site).
    edited November 2012
    oh i see i haven't kept up with the 4e thing i currently play DDO and the facebook neverwinter heros which i see is shutting down at the end of this month:( So bards are not in the 4e book? I guess i'll have to look at those books do you have a good resource to look up the 4e rule book and classes and races?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    jfrank123x wrote: »
    oh i see i haven't kept up with the 4e thing i currently play DDO and the facebook neverwinter heros which i see is shutting down at the end of this month:( So bards are not in the 4e book? I guess i'll have to look at those books do you have a good resource to look up the 4e rule book and classes and races?
    There are more classes in the 2nd 4e Player's Handbook, these are: Avenger, Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Sorcerer, and Warden. The only reason I didn't mention them is because so far everything that has been released has coincided with the first 4e PHB.

Consistency:

Classes:
    4e PHB: Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Ranger, Paladin, Warlock, Warlord, and Wizard.
    4e PHB2: Avenger, Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Sorcerer, and Warden.
    4e NWCS: Swordmage, Warlock, and Spellscarred.

Races:
    4e PHB1: Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
    4e PHB2: Deva, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, and Shifter.
    4e FRPG: Drow, Genasi,
    Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human, and Tiefling.
    4e NWCS: (Racial Variants) Dwarf, Eladrin, and Elf.

Key:
    PHB = Player's Handbook: Arcane, Divine, and Martial Heroes
    PHB2 = Player's Handbook 2, Primal, Arcane, and Divine Heroes
    FRPG = Forgotten Realms Player's Guide
    NWCS = Neverwinter Campaign Setting
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    And many more classes and races in the many books beyond...
    edited November 2012
    Oh sweet you really scared me for a minute there! So I still have my chance at playing my bard and as well as a whole bunch more characters :) I see thanks for all the info I will read up on some of those player handbooks if i can find them online.
    edited November 2012
    Oh sweet you really scared me for a minute there! So I still have my chance at playing my bard and as well as a whole bunch more characters :) I see thanks for all the info I will read up on some of those player handbooks if i can find them online.
    No problem, here's a key to to the books I referenced (all 4th edition):

PHB2 = Player's Handbook 2: Primal, Arcane, and Divine Heroes

I'll update my post with this.

As surf pointed out, there are other suppliments and books that can be used too should PWE/Cryptic decide and WotC allow. So, while there is technically a "limit" - it is a far-reaching limit.
    edited November 2012
    Well all assuming that they pump all those races, class and builds out!

That remains to be seen.
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012

You definitely have the chance of playing bard sir. :) Probably not out of the gate, but not too long after release I'd imagine. Can NOT wait for Avenger personally. Freakin' monks with swords...LOVE these guys.
  • eldryth1eldryth1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So, it looks like the Player's Handbook 1 classes will be first. So, the first 3 post-release classes will be from there, with one more coming before. After that, the next class will probably be Druid or Invoker, to fill the gap with Wizard as the only Controller. And this is all assuming they only make one path for each class- very unlikely, since Cutthroat Rogue was already mentioned in an interview. So, unfortunately, it sounds like it'll be a while before you get Bards. Personally though, I'm looking forward to the remaining PH1 classes most.
    edited November 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    No problem, here's a key to to the books I referenced (all 4th edition):

PHB2 = Player's Handbook 2: Primal, Arcane, and Divine Heroes

I'll update my post with this.

There are currently 52 races and 77 classes available in 4e from official sources, listed here with standard 4e acronyms...
    • Dark Sun Campaign Setting (DSCS)
    • Eberron Player's Guide (EPG)
    • Forgotten Realms Player's Guide (FRPG)
    • Heroes if Shadow (HoS)
    • Heroes of the Fallen Lands (HoFL)
    • Heroes of the Elemental Chaos (HotEC)
    • Heroes of the Feywild (HotF)
    • Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms (HotFK)
    • Dungeon Survival Handbook (DSH)
    • Manual of the Planes (MotP)
    • Monster Manual (MM)
    • Monster Manual 2 (MM2)
    • Neverwinter Campaign Settings (NCS)
    • Player's Handbook (PHB)
    • Player's Handbook 2 (PHB2)
    • Player's Handbook 3 (PHB3)
    • Dragon Magazine <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> (DrXXX)

On top of this there are a huge number of additional class options introduced in other books (e.g., Arcane Power).
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    *Unrolls Decree and Proclaims*

Due to the continued interest in Our Magical Musician, and this "I would love to get a confirm if BARDS and other classic classes will be in game!!!" thread's interest, it hath been decided that this thread and that prior Magical Musician thread shall merge in our Discussion of Neverwinter, but with the Former title being kept from now on. Thank you all for your patronage in both locations in uniting to bring Bards to Neverwinter Online!

*Rolls up Decree.*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    What other musical classes? ;)
    edited November 2012
    surf13 wrote: »
    What other musical classes? ;)

Well aside from Bae’qeshel, which is kind of a Lolth bard, I think he said other classic classes, not musical ones.
    edited November 2012
    *pokes tongue at valas625*
    Move along, nothing to see here.

Regarding the Bard... There are 3 main Bard builds in 4e - the Cunning Bard, the Prescient Bard and the Valorous Bard. In addition there's the Skald, which is an Essentials Bard.
    edited November 2012

Regarding the Bard... There are 3 main Bard builds in 4e - the Cunning Bard, the Prescient Bard and the Valorous Bard. In addition there's the Skald, which is an Essentials Bard.

Aren't the first 3 just different builds of Bard? Not for sure. And as to Skalds, never heard of them. Lets open a book!
    edited November 2012
    Indeed I said "3 main Bard builds". You can find the Skald in Heroes of the Feywild, starting on page 55.
    edited November 2012
    Haha, I missed that, sorry. :) And that's an interesting way of doing a bard. Barbarian running into battle, singing about Tempus, gaining power off of his song rather than the god. It'd confuse many a perceptive enemy. I like that idea.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Bards are very strong in 4e - mostly because of infinite multiclassing which makes them very versatile.
    therefore cryptic might struggle a lot to implement them properly in the game.
    edited November 2012
    So i read up alitte about 4e player book last night and now feel confident I should see our bard in the game pretty soon! Unless someone in PW has a secret hatred against them in which case they might not make it lol. Thanks for combining the threads, maybe our posts will get seen and PW will feel our love for the musical musician lol.
    edited November 2012
    So i read up alitte about 4e player book last night and now feel confident I should see our bard in the game pretty soon! Unless someone in PW has a secret hatred against them in which case they might not make it lol. Thanks for combining the threads, maybe our posts will get seen and PW will feel our love for the musical musician lol.
    My suspicion is that they are building the PHB classes first. If so you'll have to wait for at least 3 more classes before Bard. Possibly more.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    valas625 wrote: »
    Haha, I missed that, sorry. :) And that's an interesting way of doing a bard. Barbarian running into battle, singing about Tempus, gaining power off of his song rather than the god. It'd confuse many a perceptive enemy. I like that idea.

valas625 wrote: »
    Aren't the first 3 just different builds of Bard? Not for sure. And as to Skalds, never heard of them. Lets open a book!
    My suspicion is that they are building the PHB classes first. If so you'll have to wait for at least 3 more classes before Bard. Possibly more.

First off bard is a PH (we got rid of the PHB abbreviation sice 3rd ed) class, just PH2. if you mean they are only supporting core (from the first PH released in any edition) over an extended (all other books,) then you could be right. So far in 4th ed, we have 3 PH releases, PH3 being my personal favorite.

Secondly, Skald is a historical bard of Scandanavian/Icelandic or overall Norse influence. They are the "battle bard" who is inspired by combat personally as much as inspiring others to do well in combat. That Tempus description is an ideal example of a D&D skald bard. One of the differences for example in PnP mechanics, is the regular bard can slide a character in the burst of their Majestic Healing Word which the bard can initiate twice an encounter, and a skald allows any player within the aura of the skald bard to activate the healing word up to twice the encounter but a character can't be slid one square.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    First off bard is a PH (we got rid of the PHB abbreviation sice 3rd ed) class, just PH2. if you mean they are only supporting core (from the first PH released in any edition) over an extended (all other books,) then you could be right. So far in 4th ed, we have 3 PH releases, PH3 being my personal favorite.
    Well in practice I see the "B notation" used as frequently as the "H notation" :) They are sort of interchangeable these days. In particular PHB is generally used as slang for PH1. The four announced classes so far are all builds from PH1 (aka PHB). My instincts say they will do the PH1 builds first (at least one per class), before moving on to other books. My instincts may be wrong.
    Secondly, Skald is a historical bard of Scandanavian/Icelandic or overall Norse influence. They are the "battle bard" who is inspired by combat personally as much as inspiring others to do well in combat. That Tempus description is an ideal example of a D&D skald bard. One of the differences for example in PnP mechanics, is the regular bard can slide a character in the burst of their Majestic Healing Word which the bard can initiate twice an encounter, and a skald allows any player within the aura of the skald bard to activate the healing word up to twice the encounter but a character can't be slid one square.
    ...and like I said is an Essentials class.
    edited November 2012
    I'm not one of these "we" that got rid of using proper abbreviations for sake of simplicity. ;)
    I'll call them by their proper shortenings for the purveyance words, which are contained there-in. If there is ever any confusion to an abbreviation that I have used, please feel free to inquire. My apologies, I'm not going to throw out my proper English and Grammar training however.

Yeah, I am still leaning that we'll first see the races and classes from the PHB1 and the NWCS, since these are the two core-books that the game is founded upon. So far, everything we have seen has come from one of those two books.
  • pregnablepregnable Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    John Cutter: Charlie, ever played roulette?
    Charles Rane: On occasion.
    John Cutter: Well, let me give you a word of advice. Always bet on BARD!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If they have bards, I hope they introduce feywild too - along with the option to make a satyr bard. And a pocket pixie...
    edited November 2012
    I am pretty sure that making a Dungeons and Dragons based game and not including the Bard class is both a violation of my civil rights and treason in every nation in the world.

On a completely unrelated note, I would like to express my support for the Bard class. ;-)
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Playing a bard is like playing Dan in a Street Fighter game. Some people can truly master it, but ....... that's all I'll say for now.
    edited November 2012
    Playing a bard is like playing Dan in a Street Fighter game. Some people can truly master it, but ....... that's all I'll say for now.

What is funny about that is whenever someone picks Akuma, I usually pick Dan as a counter, because the pressure of not wanting to lose to Dan usually gets to them and I win.

His charisma stat is pretty overpowered. ;-)