test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What wizard will you want to build?

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Here's hoping it's in the PP game then!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited November 2012
    What exactly is a control wizard? And one thing I did notice was that there were no melee weapons on them in the videos so it makes me wonder if you'll be able to have a fireball slinging elf with a backup sword just in case things get close. Wich also makes me wonder the same thing with ranged weapons applying to melee classes. Maybe a lazy fighter doesn't want to walk over to a kobald when he can pick off with crossbow.
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    What exactly is a control wizard? And one thing I did notice was that there were no melee weapons on them in the videos so it makes me wonder if you'll be able to have a fireball slinging elf with a backup sword just in case things get close. Wich also makes me wonder the same thing with ranged weapons applying to melee classes. Maybe a lazy fighter doesn't want to walk over to a kobald when he can pick off with crossbow.

I don't think it would be the case. First of all, because wizard has at will spells that he can use... well, at will. A "control wizard" is a wizard that emphasizes the control side of his/her spells, focusing not on dealing damage, but on hindering the enemy from a long distance. This doesn't mean that wizard can't do damage at all, but it's not its primary feature (in fact in D&D 4e you don't get a damage feature as the rogue, but only a control or defensive feature).
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The control wizard is best described by WotC's D&D description:

CONTROL WIZARD

Your favorite powers restrict your enemies in various ways—crushing them in the coils of a lightning serpent, trapping them in a cloud of noxious vapor, or encasing them in ice. Intelligence drives your attack powers, so make it your highest ability score. Wisdom can help you maintain control over your enemies if you choose the orb of imposition form of Implement Mastery, so it should be your second-best score. Make Dexterity your third best score. Putting a good score in Constitution can help you stay alive by increasing your hit points and healing surges, as well as contributing to your Fortitude defense. If you choose the staff of defense form of Implement Mastery, your Constitution can also help your other defenses. Select powers that help you control the battlefield and make the best use of your high Wisdom score.
    Suggested Feat: Improved Initiative (Human feat: Human Perseverance)
    Suggested Skills: Arcana, Diplomacy, Insight, Nature
    Suggested At-Will Powers: cloud of daggers, thunderwave
    Suggested Encounter Power: icy terr

By effecting how the enemy reacts and even moves (or doesn't) you limit the enemy's methods of attacking you and your party. Now bluntly, the magic missile, ray of frost and other spells I saw do NOT look like battlefield control and are more direct damage than conditions placed upon mobs and I would call that more War Wizard or:

WAR WIZARD

Your delight is in powers that deal damage—lots of damage, to many foes at a time. Enormous bursts of fire, searing bolts of lightning, and waves of caustic acid are your weapons. Intelligence is your most important ability score. Dexterity should be your second-best score, and it is important if you choose the wand of accuracy form of Implement Mastery. Make Wisdom your third-best score. You might instead choose the staff of defense form of Implement Mastery, which lets your Constitution aid your defenses against some attacks. Even if you don’t, Constitution increases your hit points, healing surges, and Fortitude defense. Select powers that deal lots of damage and that make the best use of your high Dexterity score.
    Suggested Feat: Expanded Spellbook (Human feat: Action Surge)
    Suggested Skills: Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Religion
    Suggested At-Will Powers: magic missile, scorching burst
    Suggested Encounter Power: burning hands
    Suggested Daily Power: acid arrow

As for the "weapon" question, wizards use implements. If you have noticed the orb at waist level when not attacking or closer to the hands when attacking, that is the wizard's weapon. I'm more a staff or tome user, and hope to see other choice icons down the line, but I have more of an issue with the Kung-Fu two fingers held up before attacking than an orb vs staff ATM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Lol @ wand of accuracy suggestion...

St. Augustinus
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ... And one thing I did notice was that there were no melee weapons on them ...
    Arcanists and divines now use implements. So they can have staff, book, orb(one which we have seen) as implements. They can keep weapons, but why would you not equip an implement and use its bonus when you never run out of spells.

Swordmage use sword to hit others.

You can use some weapons as implements but you use basically them as any other implement.

EDIT: Ok. This is redundant as it was answered by truth...
    edited November 2012
    thx all for the detailed responses about my control wizard question. It makes me wonder if the control wizard is the only wizard your going to be able to choose from, or if youll be able to build your own type of wizard. Probly gonna have to pay for new classes, but still fired up about the game nonetheless.
    edited November 2012
    thx all for the detailed responses about my control wizard question. It makes me wonder if the control wizard is the only wizard your going to be able to choose from, or if youll be able to build your own type of wizard. Probly gonna have to pay for new classes, but still fired up about the game nonetheless.

There will be multiple builds of ALL classes, but not necessarily all of them will be available at launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    it would be cool to see classes that are exclusive to certain races such as a psionisist or a battle rager, however that may unbalance the game for others.....Im tired of talking about this I want to play all ready!!!
    edited November 2012
    it would be cool to see classes that are exclusive to certain races such as a psionisist or a battle rager, however that may unbalance the game for others.....Im tired of talking about this I want to play all ready!!!

In 4e they no longer are exclusive to any races. Battle ragers are now called Battleminds BTW and were (re) introduced along with the psionisist and Ardent in the PHIII.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    There are some race specific paragon paths, but not race specific classes. They decided not to lock classes in gender or races or alignment.
    edited November 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    There are some race specific paragon paths, but not race specific classes. They decided not to lock classes in gender or races or alignment.

Which is a really nice idea that is being horribly stomped in D&D next playest.

St. Augustinus
  • thylbanusthylbanus Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've always loved Necromancers. The True Necromancer (a mix of cleric and mage from 3.5) was my favorite. I liked the idea of good aligned undead as well, like the Baelnorn. I've always liked challenging the axioms that stated there were only good or bad. I've never embraces the black and white philosophy, so I've always played with exceptions to the rule. I introduced a good aligned drow long before Drizzt ever graced any pages. Having that freedom of choice is one thing my players could always count on.
    edited November 2012
    thylbanus wrote: »
    I've always loved Necromancers. The True Necromancer (a mix of cleric and mage from 3.5) was my favorite. I liked the idea of good aligned undead as well, like the Baelnorn. I've always liked challenging the axioms that stated there were only good or bad. I've never embraces the black and white philosophy, so I've always played with exceptions to the rule. I introduced a good aligned drow long before Drizzt ever graced any pages. Having that freedom of choice is one thing my players could always count on.

Oooh, another TN (and I don't mean True Neutral) fan! Good to meet ya!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    Ah man, true necromancers, the cleric/mage mystic theurge-ish type, very cool but sooo hard to make.
    In pnp I liked playing wiz/rogues, arcane tricksters. Load up on utility spells, like clairvoyance, invisibility, teleport, knock, rope trick, earth to mud, move earth, that stuff.
    edited November 2012
    If they ever make necros in this game, better for them being stronger than their 4e counterpart.

St. Augustinus
  • victorvonvainvictorvonvain Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i think id go with a summoner type wizard... if i could buff the party or summon monsters to help with the fight id be happy
  • edivonedivon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i prefere the sneaky type using stealth and invisibility... and possibly multiclassing rogue (or rogue multiclassing wizard) >.>
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    edivon wrote: »
    i prefere the sneaky type using stealth and invisibility... and possibly multiclassing rogue (or rogue multiclassing wizard) >.>

There won't be multiclass at release or at least that's the rumor.

I will probably build a tiefling as wizard and not the usual elf...I really like that +2 Int the only bad part is that tieflings scale pretty bad at hi lvl...
  • zaywinzaywin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I always have loved debuff/life drain/dot classes, hope that wizards can eventually build for something like that.
    Be like water my friend.
  • health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    i still think 4e should have wild mages.The off chance of your spell not working or hurting yourself or actually causing double damage on your target.Hell you never know wtf is gonna happen :D
    edited December 2012
    I want a psion - telekinetic or telepathic. And use force-field - may the force be...
    edited December 2012
    health002 wrote: »
    i still think 4e should have wild mages.The off chance of your spell not working or hurting yourself or actually causing double damage on your target.Hell you never know wtf is gonna happen :D

Sorcerers reflected the concept of the chaotic mage, since the wild mage spells are not random by training if you will. Thus, the "wild magic" feature was moved as an optional starting path to the 4E Sorcerer. Whether this build will be released in NWO later remains to be seen, but I'd absolutely LOVE it.

And yes, I do play a Wild Mage in 2E Baldur's Gate games sometimes. They just didn't realize they had sorcerer blood in em :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    War wizard? Won't that 4e build count as wild mage?
  • alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I nver thought about sorcerers as the chaothic mages. I like them just because they could, before 4e, use fewer spells but more often, and there were was no point in knowing a lot of spells. But all that has changed... Whichever class that summons (and isn't a druid) will be the class for me.
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Of the casters sorcerers are my favorite, I've never been a big fan of the studious wizard ever searching for power from dusty tomes. I'd rather rip it out of the air and swell with the power born into me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Sorcs were such nukers in the other 2 nwn games
    edited December 2012
    alsaroth wrote: »
    I nver thought about sorcerers as the chaothic mages. I like them just because they could, before 4e, use fewer spells but more often, and there were was no point in knowing a lot of spells. But all that has changed... Whichever class that summons (and isn't a druid) will be the class for me.

Sara the sorcerer in NWN2 was seen as chaotic mage who threw spells without studying them while wizards always picked on her on not being bookish but chaotic. It was explained as sorcerers sharing dragon blood thus having a lot of magic on which they have no control.
    edited December 2012
    And now the gillrmn block :) :
    War wizard? Won't that 4e build count as wild mage?

No. The build simply suggests skills and feats that would make "...lots of damage, to many foes at a time. Enormous bursts of fire, searing bolts of lightning, and waves of caustic acid are your weapons."

Also, the feats War wizard's staff and war wizard's expertise allow you to slide an enemy before or after the attack when using a staff, and gain a bonus to attackking and a penalty to hitting your allies when using a light or heavy blade respectively;
    the War Wizard of Cormyr PP lets you use an at-will or encounter as a basic attack, not have ranged/area attacks count as opportunity attacks when spending an action point to do so and have close/area critical hits add 5 damage to all targets on the attack and a lightning, wall and storm power respectively.

The MMO build will likely focus on traditional wizard elemental damage options and possibly give them a "blade" weapon for differentiation appearances.

If sorcerer is in the future MMO game, I couldn't guarantee how they will vary the damage selection but likely through the wild caster and dragon caster though.

Sara the sorcerer in NWN2 was seen as chaotic mage who threw spells without studying them while wizards always picked on her on not being bookish but chaotic. It was explained as sorcerers sharing dragon blood thus having a lot of magic on which they have no control.

Exactly. This is why I think it's likely if sorcerer comes up, the above two builds I mentioned would be done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    the War Wizard of Cormyr PP lets you use...

I hope paragon paths like that are integrated to a quest and not just distributed freely. I hope they have a quest with which you obtain the permit to use magic in Cormyr and join the war wizard council instead of opening the UI and making a selection.