test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What wizard will you want to build?

iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Library
Of course, at the time of this thread, we don't know what we're limited as to the type of wizard we can make, even if "builds" are mandatory or not, but if you could make a 4E wizard in an MMO game here, what would you do and why?

As for me, I think I'd create a force-specialized magic missile mastery Staff implement wielding with plenty of forced movement and impeding control conditional backup spells.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by iamtruthseeker on

Comments

• Options
    aavarius1aavarius1 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2012
    Is all of them a choice?

More specifically, I like the old abjurer mage that had a bucket full of defensive spells. I'd probably roll one of those.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I would like to make a divine mage ...
    Oh! Thats a cleric. Wrong thread I guess :p

EDIT: I see the elvish word worked :p
  • Options
    nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I think builds will be necessary. One of the PAX videos briefly showed a character selection screen. There were four characters to select from, and their class titles were all builds (i.e. control wizard, trickster rogue, etc). While this doesn't prove anything, it certainly suggests it.

I like Aavarius's idea of an adjuration wizard. I like a wizard concept that focus more on debuffs/buffs/control, then on damage.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    nimloh wrote: »
    .... One of the PAX videos briefly showed a character selection screen. There were four characters to select from....

I definitely missed that video. Can you post a link to it if possible, or an idea where I can find it?
  • Options
    nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I definitely missed that video. Can you post a link to it if possible, or an idea where I can find it?

No problem. I've seen all the PAX videos about 80 times each. :)

Check out the mmorpgitalia video at 2:45. The text is almost unreadable. But I think you can tell the three builds present are "trickster rogue," "guardian fighter," and control wizard." We've also seen the character pane open in other videos like the mmorpg pokket video here at 3:43, labeling the class "Trickster Rogue."

Taken together, along the devs continuous usage of "trickster rogue" and "control wizard" language, we have good reason to think that classes are tied to builds.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    nimloh wrote: »
    No problem. I've seen all the PAX videos about 80 times each. :)

Check out the mmorpgitalia video at 2:45. The text is almost unreadable. But I think you can tell the three builds present are "trickster rogue," "guardian fighter," and control wizard." ...

Thanks, I hadn't watched this one carefully. That was indeed blurred even at highest resolution. Kudos to you for deciphering them. :p
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    If we can build a fully customizable character, then I will go for a general wizard then specialize in evocation and necromacy. That way I'm not forced into a specialization type and be able to use other useful spells and buffs.

Here's hoping that it is more of a NWN type character customization and not typical MMO's where there really is no variety of builds but makes every wizard the same or rogue, ect.

I'm hoping for a real DnD experience and fully player customized builds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ursaiursai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Well, if this game follows another Cryptic games (Champions Online) then I'm betting that the F2P will give access to specific builds that are limited in customizability (CO's Archetypes). However if there is a tier system where money is involved above the free accounts...that's where an open build class system would be available.

Only a guess on my part, mind you.
  • Options
    qallidexqallidex Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I really love self-sustained casters that are lethal in PvP combat, particularly 1-on-1. I like casters that have things like Life-taps (especially), as well as mana-taps, and powerful DoT's (particularly AoE DoT's). On top of that I like to have a pet. This is a very Necromancer/Warlock type class. I played one just like it in Rift (which actually was a Necro/Warlock combo), but it was wayy underpowered, and the game was pretty lamesauce in general.

But a Wizard/Sorcerer who can keep himself with life-taps, steal mana, has a pet fighting by his side, and can spread dread all throughout the battle-field via AoE DoT's is pretty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in my book. Also would want to have a bread/butter DD attack, and preferably some sort of mass raise dead on a fairly large cooldown.
  • Options
    vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I always try to make wizards that play somewhat like the vampires in one of PWE's other games, Forsaken World. Which pretty much means focusing around life draining and necromancy.
    BTW, I sincerely hope they will follow PWE's way of doing things instead of basing their f2p model around gameplay limitations, especially restricted class customisation (like in the other D&D game, DDO) because that's when I will unfortunatly have to part ways with NW :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    BTW, I sincerely hope they will follow PWE's way of doing things instead o...

There are PWE games where classes are paid. e.g. Rusty Hearts.
  • Options
    vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    There are PWE games where classes are paid. e.g. Rusty Hearts.

Well, I meant the games that are actually made by PWE's mother-company. Rusty Hearts is made by some Korean company.

BTW, Rusty Hearts is not the same as NW or DDO in that it has no classes - it has characters. And though it is indeed true that some are locked unless you buy them, they generally function as slightly different versions of the free characters (ie Edgar being more or less the same scythe+demonsword warmage as Angela etc)
    Also, you can still buy the character unlock from other players with in-game money, which overall makes me ok with the whole thing.
    As long as the f2p restrictions are not hard-locked there, and in-game gold can still buy everything, it's usually fine by me. A feature like the leaf trading system, present in Forsaken World, where you can trade your in-game money for premium currency and vice-versa whenever you want would be ideal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    As long as the f2p restrictions are not hard-locked there, and in-game gold can still buy everything, it's usually fine by me.

That would be there imo. The other cryptic game, CO, also used to have locked classes - but they introduced Questionite which can be used to but 'Zen' like currency points in that game. STO another game by cryptic also has Dilithium.

In NWO, i think (anyone correct me please if I am wrong), it would be called Astral Diamond(?).
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Forgot to add, developers have already said that game would be f2p and only vanity items and consumables would be paid. I am quite sure they envisage a game in which paying should not have any effect on game balance (i.e. free characters should be as powerful as paid).

EDIT: But you never know :p
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    SS also would not comment when asked if all classes would be immediately available or some unlockable or some premium.

I'm also not sure if we can select from several wizard builds and must do so as builds being mandatory (they did mention the classes had multiple options for builds somewhere but it's too difficult for me to remember the wording and am unable to search a developer's post when all posts are listed as an archived user and there's no dev tracker,) or if builds (like PnP DnD) are optional. I'm curious between the MMO Control Wizard and War Wizard Build differences for example.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wulfewulfe Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    really depends on alignment restrictions and spell access....
    an N.Evil wiz would buff self and blast the hell out of everyone and everything just to snag a precieved item of power.

While the C.Good wiz would use his spells for the greater good and more focused attack spells to cause minimum damage to the surroundings(in turn blasting the hell out of said evil wiz)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Regarding alignment, we don't know yet how they are implemented, but if based on 4e, check :-

Thread
  • Options
    quseioquseio Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2012
    id like to be able to play a dragon wizard someone able to take damage and generallly limited to 1 type of damage maybe also able to enhance melee attacks basicly like a dragon disciple but cooler

why ? i like dragons

Or a frenzied berserker with some leech type spells sort of a cross between a berserker and everquests shadowknight they more blood they spill the more powerful they are.. i think the blood would create a area of effect like everqyuests auras and fade after a time
  • Options
    enideasenideas Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I miss the cc capabilities of the chanter in eq1--especially in PC. Surviving there was such an ego boost at the early levels. Throw in a little conjuring of the mage and some fire power and I'll be happy.
  • Options
    sneakosneako Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I kind of agree with quseio. Although more to having a melee capable wizard. I always hope for a gish, but am always let down. When they said Neverwinter was going to use 4th edition ruleset I obviously got excited for possible swordmages. I guess all I really hope is that there will be some type of option to at least have a wizard capable of melee with self buffs a viable build unlike the DDO counterparts that attempt it using mutliclassing. Also please god no warforged...
  • Options
    valkhadvalkhad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Since it's what I almost always start with in ANY game with the option, I'm going to be aiming for the "striker" role -- obscene damage at range with nearly no melee survivability. A glass cannon, as it were.

Now, considering that I'm playing one in my current campaign... I would love for sorcerers to be in the game later on. I love the utility sorcs get to dip in and out of combat while dealing massive damage.
  • Options
    dailonihildailonihil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I'd definitely go war wizard, since control just ins't my style. Especially if battle mage or rimetongue caller and eladrin were implemented :) If eladrin, would absolutely go wizard of the spiral tower though.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'll be initially happy with magic missile and ray of frost and that cool aim and freeze solid feature, but do hope we can have versatility with other at will and encounter swap options if through builds or power skill swaps. The "daily" was already discussed as a limit break type activation for all classes (and we may have up to two to activate from) so this may be locked in the build though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arajirarajir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I would like some sort of heavy control illusion/charm wizard.
    Extra points if non-movement control utility powers such as illusory wall and illusory terrain were avaible.
    As an implement i would favor tome (if implemented... no pun intended) or staff.
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    My first choice would be Mages, Nethermancers in specific. Second Shi'iar wizards from Heroes of the elemental Choas. Third Witch from heroes of the feywild.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    arajir wrote: »
    I would like some sort of heavy control illusion/charm wizard.
    Extra points if non-movement control utility powers such as illusory wall and illusory terrain were avaible.
    As an implement i would favor tome (if implemented... no pun intended) or staff.

You would definitely like the tiefling class for its Int and Cha stats then. It's racial fire resist and encounter fire smackdown are decent boosts too.

My first choice would be Mages, Nethermancers in specific. Second Shi'iar wizards from Heroes of the elemental Choas. Third Witch from heroes of the feywild.

Alas, I'm not expecting Essential PC's anytime soon for any class type. I'd love those though if they did. I'm playing a Sha'ir in my Dark Sun campaign and loving it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    retsimretsim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    If Hexblade Warlocks aren't added I wouldn't mind seeing Bladesinger Wizards. Especially since Bladesinger was added to 4e in the Neverwinter Campaign sourcebook. For those unfamiler, in 4e Bladesingers are an alternative path that lets wizards basically become magical swashbucklers that use a one-handed sword as an implement channel spells in place of a wand or staff.
  • Options
    valkhadvalkhad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Bladesingers always seemed a little muddy, to me. I know it's a different setting, but if I were to try for a melee wizard, swordmage all the way.
  • Options
    wulfewulfe Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    bladesingers have been so distorted from what they originally were.

First you had to be an Elf
    Second it was the equal in 2nd ed as a prest. class ( you had to get really luck with stat rolls or have a really nice DM)
    and 3rd your only goal in life was to track, hunt and kill drow... following them to the underdark if need be....

basically they've been wussafied
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    wulfe wrote: »
    bladesingers have been so distorted from what they originally were.

First you had to be an Elf
    Second it was the equal in 2nd ed as a prest. class ( you had to get really luck with stat rolls or have a really nice DM)
    and 3rd your only goal in life was to track, hunt and kill drow... following them to the underdark if need be....

basically they've been wussafied

The idea of a bladesinger as a PC class didn't really age well. It was good for a certain part of the story (way back when), but would probably have been better kept as an NPC sort of thing.

The ideas behind the bladesinger as a class, outside of Drow hunters, is pretty cool though. They could redesign the build to keep the mechanics and attach a more viable lore to it.