What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic/PWE about Neverwinter

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2012
    gillrmn wrote:
    *takes Anglomyr to one side of a room and whispers in ear*
    Shh... we will trick StromShade into saying it, thus it will be official!
    *Laughs with evil face*

But but but...oh whatever i just go play some Heroes of Might & Magic 3 cause its clear that nobody wants me here :mad:
    edited April 2012
    Will there be night/day cycle? Or weather?
    edited April 2012
    Qumi wrote: »
    Will there be night/day cycle? Or weather?

Well, I think it is safe to say that it is extremely possible, for at least the social hub areas like the city of Neverwinter. Star Trek Online recently opened a social hub city which has extremely beautiful and smooth transitions with lighting effects and shading augmenting its day/night cycle.

Actual missions may not have this, as time of day and the lighting thereof plays as much a part in setting a propper mood as the environment itself. It would be good to have the option in foundry quest development to set the time of day rather than being locked into just a map with a preset environment setting.

Having said that, I too am interested in what sort of improvements in environment presentation are in store for us, so if StormShade can give input in this area, it would be awesome...
    edited April 2012
    Q
    Can we have a group or team set up for a foundry creation or does it have to be only through one person (and one single person's account) when we have that social display in the game world that users see?
    A
    That's an interesting idea, I'll pass it along and see what we can do. However, please remember that not only will this likely be difficult to implement, it would also likely open up the possibility for all kinds of trolling/griefing.
    I have a similar question about this,
    Like the question above, I'd like to know if the Foundry will allow more than one, but I'd really love an option to set up an area as free for all, allowing people to wander in and out as they see fit, ( basically create an area, for roleplaying, not just quest reward or whatever ) Perhaps, something could be added to the Foundry, that allows us the option to host an area as open to the public, and one of those lil pop ups that say people will be coming and going as they see fit, this might release the worry about griefing and trolling.

Question about player names;
    About the @gilly44 business..... I see this in STO and Champions, it really takes away from roleplaying in my opinion. I have found myself talking less and less while playing those games.
    I am a very sociable person and I love being able to roleplay and get into character.
    Another element about roleplay, is roleplayed guilds vs guilds, even if there never is any "PvP" this can be a successful amount of fun and intrigue.
    But, if my stealthy spy slips in and my name now is Spy@Gilly44 then I have defeated my role and lost my fun as well as the fun of the other person who might be thinking " is this really a spy of X Y or Z, they know right away who it is.
    So the question is, can we forgo the @gilly44 business in our names?
    I realize this allows you to have multiple firse names that are the same, but how about this:
    If you say, take the name "Bob" you get a pop up saying " This name is taken as is, please give yourself a surname" Or something like that.

Hobbies:
    Will there be any hobbies, like cards, chess, fishing, hunting, darts, etc etc..
    Something beyond game function to pass the time while waiting for a friend to log in?

Player Music:
    Lord of the Rings Online has a unique interface, that allows the players to compose music using the ABC Notation
    For players that play lord of the Rings Online, this has become a must have, for many of us. I'd love to see this system added in to Neverwinter.

Monster Races:
    In STO the character design of the race "Alien" has me hoping this will be something we can do in Neverwinter.
    Will we have something customizable as that? I would really love it!
    I often in Neverwinter nights ( nwn1 ) played with CEP on persistent worlds where we could have kobolds and other things like that.

Foundry and costs:
    Will the Foundry be free from the start? Or will this be gated behind whatever equivalent of "dilithium" Neverwinter will have, like in STO?
    If so, I am afraid that will put a lot of your creators out of the picture.
    I know many of the old nwn1 community that don't even play the PWs they buld other than a bit of testing here and there, and spend most of their time in creators rather than playing. If say it is 50000 of whatever hard to get currency you use, ( like sto's dilithium ) Then you'd most likely get people like that simply not interested. I myself like to play, but i am not a hard core "grinder" and I never was able to get the Foundry open in STO and i have a level 50 fed, and level 45 or so, Empire fellow ( cant remember )
    I would have loved to build stuff, but I didnt have the fund to ever open it up.

Thank you for taking time to answer folks :)
    Here's hoping you will have good news for me and other roleplayers, or at least see some of my questions take them to the other dev depts, and they say " cool lets do it!" *grins*
    edited April 2012
    I am pretty sure you can turn off the @gilly44 in CO and STO. I really like the way Cryptic has implemented names, as it allows everyone to have the name they want.
    edited April 2012
    Would you please leave speculations out of this topic? It was supposed to be for questions and answers from devs, not pages long speculations from users ;/ Going through speculations might be tiring and discouraging for the person who is supposed to now "find" questions amid the speculation and then answer.
    edited April 2012
    RazorrX wrote: »
    I am pretty sure you can turn off the @gilly44 in CO and STO. I really like the way Cryptic has implemented names, as it allows everyone to have the name they want.

Where can you turn this off at, I have specifically looked for this many times,but all I see is that @gilly44 business.

Hehe, it drives me batty.:D
  • gilly44gilly44 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Q

A

I have a similar question about this,
    Like the question above, I'd like to know if the Foundry will allow more than one, but I'd really love an option to set up an area as free for all, allowing people to wander in and out as they see fit, ( basically create an area, for roleplaying, not just quest reward or whatever ) Perhaps, something could be added to the Foundry, that allows us the option to host an area as open to the public, and one of those lil pop ups that say people will be coming and going as they see fit, this might release the worry about griefing and trolling.

Question about player names;
    About the @gilly44 business..... I see this in STO and Champions, it really takes away from roleplaying in my opinion. I have found myself talking less and less while playing those games.
    I am a very sociable person and I love being able to roleplay and get into character.
    Another element about roleplay, is roleplayed guilds vs guilds, even if there never is any "PvP" this can be a successful amount of fun and intrigue.
    But, if my stealthy spy slips in and my name now is Spy@Gilly44 then I have defeated my role and lost my fun as well as the fun of the other person who might be thinking " is this really a spy of X Y or Z, they know right away who it is.
    So the question is, can we forgo the @gilly44 business in our names?
    I realize this allows you to have multiple firse names that are the same, but how about this:
    If you say, take the name "Bob" you get a pop up saying " This name is taken as is, please give yourself a surname" Or something like that.

Hobbies:
    Will there be any hobbies, like cards, chess, fishing, hunting, darts, etc etc..
    Something beyond game function to pass the time while waiting for a friend to log in?

Player Music:
    Lord of the Rings Online has a unique interface, that allows the players to compose music using the ABC Notation
    For players that play lord of the Rings Online, this has become a must have, for many of us. I'd love to see this system added in to Neverwinter.

Monster Races:
    In STO the character design of the race "Alien" has me hoping this will be something we can do in Neverwinter.
    Will we have something customizable as that? I would really love it!
    I often in Neverwinter nights ( nwn1 ) played with CEP on persistent worlds where we could have kobolds and other things like that.

Foundry and costs:
    Will the Foundry be free from the start? Or will this be gated behind whatever equivalent of "dilithium" Neverwinter will have, like in STO?
    If so, I am afraid that will put a lot of your creators out of the picture.
    I know many of the old nwn1 community that don't even play the PWs they buld other than a bit of testing here and there, and spend most of their time in creators rather than playing. If say it is 50000 of whatever hard to get currency you use, ( like sto's dilithium ) Then you'd most likely get people like that simply not interested. I myself like to play, but i am not a hard core "grinder" and I never was able to get the Foundry open in STO and i have a level 50 fed, and level 45 or so, Empire fellow ( cant remember )
    I would have loved to build stuff, but I didnt have the fund to ever open it up.

Thank you for taking time to answer folks :)
    Here's hoping you will have good news for me and other roleplayers, or at least see some of my questions take them to the other dev depts, and they say " cool lets do it!" *grins*

Quoting my post here, since it did not get answered before the forum changes. :)
  • rangerlordsolorangerlordsolo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Here's my question.

Granted I know this game will be PC focused. As a Mac user who has Parallels and CrossOver, I was wondering if your team has tried any testing with these VM? Again I know that this wouldn't be on top of the list but with many users of Mac having these programs or running BootCamp it might be something to look into as a side test. What problems might crop up for a person who doesn't have a native PC running Windows.

I'm hoping that your team may have their hands on a Mac able to run a VM program or if you would think about asking the community here to help test. As much as I know that getting a PC made for game would be better. Not everybody has the cash or time to do so. Plus Linux users would make good testers too as to how your game would run. We all would like to help where we can if given the chance to do so.

Even if you cannot directly answer this, could you give an opinion on it? I know I wouldn't hold it in stone and I hope others wouldn't do as well.

Ranger Solo
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Here's my question.

Granted I know this game will be PC focused. As a Mac user who has Parallels and CrossOver, I was wondering if your team has tried any testing with these VM? Again I know that this wouldn't be on top of the list but with many users of Mac having these programs or running BootCamp it might be something to look into as a side test. What problems might crop up for a person who doesn't have a native PC running Windows.

I'm hoping that your team may have their hands on a Mac able to run a VM program or if you would think about asking the community here to help test. As much as I know that getting a PC made for game would be better. Not everybody has the cash or time to do so. Plus Linux users would make good testers too as to how your game would run. We all would like to help where we can if given the chance to do so.

Even if you cannot directly answer this, could you give an opinion on it? I know I wouldn't hold it in stone and I hope others wouldn't do as well.

Ranger Solo

We have guildies who run DDO flawlessly on a Mac. And Turbine's done jack with it. So that's quite possibly a good sign, although no guarantee, that Neverwinter will hopefully work in that fashion.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • ian20120505ian20120505 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Hi stormshade, could you comment on the region block issue which was mentioned in the following thread?

Will people live in east Asia be able to play Neverwinter?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    For everybody including Stormshade:

When will more Game information be released here, now that the Electronic Entertainment Expo has had Cryptic release Neverwinter Online information to the Press at-large?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • presbytier7presbytier7 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    For everybody including Stormshade:

When will more Game information be released here, now that the Electronic Entertainment Expo has had Cryptic release Neverwinter Online information to the Press at-large?

^This
    I was wondering the same thing; like can we get actual gameplay footage that demonstrates how the game mechanics work.
    "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Why are official gameplay videos bad-looking compared to the footage of gameplay at events?

Is it because the problem with server side video recording tool which was initially mentioned? (or were the gameplay videos done too early and you improved the game after making that video?)

Also, I hate myself when I say this, maybe not releasing them would be better as people might get wrong idea about graphical capabilities.
    p.s. as much as I want to know about gameplay, I would hate if it sends across wrong message to prospective NW gamers and bring bad rep to game.

Also, have the CG effects been made while keeping epiliptic(PSE) patients in mind? (it seemed very flashy)
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    I think people just need to stop sulking about graphics. Folks act like we were looking at ps1 or even Ultima style graphics. The game looks fine. If your looking a rig testing game look at the fps market for that noise. MMO's have to cater to more than the Uber rig builders.

edit*

I will admit having problems with that helmet on that tiefling though. Need a special helmet models that accommodate the tieflings.
    edited June 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    I think people just need to stop sulking about graphics. ...

I agree with you that graphics don't matter. This is coming from a person who enjoys pnp and whose favorite rpg includes eye of beholder, fire emblem etc. However, as this is not discussion thread, lets not discuss that.

My concern still remains:- why isn't official video able to show actual graphical capability of game and will it not bring needless bad rep for game.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Since the conclusion of E3, when will there be new information released about Neverwinter on this forum?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Asked him on twitter a few days ago:
    Stormshade wrote:
    Soon. It's on my list of things to do. :-)
    edited June 2012
    suggested signature of PW/Cryptic devs and moderators:

soon (r) Registered trademark of Turbine Inc. Used by permission.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Since the conclusion of E3, when will there be new information released about Neverwinter on this forum?
    PAX? b:chuckle
    edited June 2012
    qumi0 wrote: »
    Asked him on twitter a few days ago:

I know:
    List of to do:-

Tasks -- Probable date
    - Give first demo for startrek on mars: Soon(r)
    - Beta test for first teleportation device: Soon(r)
    - Launching STO to the alien community from U3R4 planet system: Soon(r)
    - Celebrating New Year - Happy 3000: Soon(r)
    - Sun is running out of fuel today: Soon(r)

lol, it was a joke. It isn't that bad.
    Is it?
  • rangerlordsolorangerlordsolo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    So we are no closer to knowing anything now then before the E3 event?

Am I correct on this?
    edited June 2012
    So we are no closer to knowing anything now then before the E3 event?

Am I correct on this?

Well, except how to link to PWs "fabulous" Zen Shopping Network, no news that I know of...

edited June 2012
    That's all fancy and good for some but please excuse me for not caring about that system at the moment.

I know I must sound real negative now but I have my reasons to be a bit bitter at this point. But of course not at you big guy.
    edited June 2012
    Due to the ridiculous amounts of junk tweets I don't bother checking twitter, but if a response says it's on his list I can accept that as potentially ongoing to update. As to when, that we will see.

And I will not laugh at that Soon trademark of Turbine joke.......

While logged in here

*logs out for a possible chuckle*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    Will Monsters when reduced to there Bloodied hitpoint lvl, go troppo on the group and unleash there powerfull attacks/Powers, hopefully to see some randomization with regards to there tactics, in delves ect?
    edited June 2012
    That's all fancy and good for some but please excuse me for not caring about that system at the moment.

I know I must sound real negative now but I have my reasons to be a bit bitter at this point. But of course not at you big guy.

I wouldnt waste a dime on it. When the game comes out, if I like it, I will support it. I will not be mass marketed.

This site doesnt even feel like its about the game to me. Its feels like the Zen Shopping Network, with a Neverwinter logo emblazoned on top of it, and we are interested passerbys looking for a printout from a kiosk that doesnt even have a plug.

• macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Will Monsters when reduced to there Bloodied hitpoint lvl, go troppo on the group and unleash there powerfull attacks/Powers, hopefully to see some randomization with regards to there tactics, in delves ect?

Yes, thats a good point, also in pnp d&d u have ablities, feats, class features, etc... that allows u to do more dmg when u or ur enemies are bloodied. Theres even powers that the trigger is to be bloodied....

As far i noticed in all the gameplay videos, i didnt spot any warning when u or enemies are bloodied so i guess thats another 4th edition feature left behind :/
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm a bit interested in the campaign that Stormshade and the devs are playing PnP ;-)

So can you tell us, Stormshade, the plot and what's your role there?
    edited August 2012
    The cleric just out of prayer chamber after an hour of sleep... no - meditation, freshly yawning... no - tasting the fresh air of... uh, night looks in his inventory.

He finds a scroll and open it up to read the title - *Resurrection*. He casts the spell and looks at beads which shattered from his necklace. Suddenly a thread appears to bind them!

My questions:-

1- Do wizards get to use staffs in combat animation?

2- What role do deities play in the game? Are the deity specific paragon paths and/or domains available? Or do they plan to implement them at some time?

3- Is it possible to 'romance' NPCs using dialogue options in foundry?

4- Would rituals be implemented into the game?
This discussion has been closed.