test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ask Cryptic/PWE about Neverwinter

Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi gang!

I'm back in the office after taking a day of travel, and a day to rest! I'll be spending some time on the forums the next couple of days to answer as many questions as I can, so let's get started:

[truthseeker's comment: this thread has been renamed "Ask Cryptic/PWE About Neverwinter," and now can have any person over there answer and not burden poor Stormshade/the Community Manager or only the Devs! Just keep it on Neverwinter Topic please. This is the ony reason I have changed the wording in the OP here and added this note.]

To make things easier, more civil and more effective (without answering to double questions) I propose this thread. Here, i hope, Cryptic/PWE will find our questions and give answers.

Thread rules are:

- Keep the number of post to minimum. Let's keep it clean and not spammed, so think carefully about questions and post them all in 1 post if you can,

- no commenting, only questions

Later we can make a summary of answers ;)

My questions are:

1. The levels are said to range from 0 to 60, does it mean we will have 0 level characters and paragon paths?

2. Long ago Ranger and Cleric were also announced in an interview. Now we hear that only Rogue, Fighter and Wizard were announced. How is it then?

3. Will items also have powers like in 4 ed? Will there be a special power slot for it?

4. How many builds a class will have at the beginning? (Trickster rogue, control wizard, etc.)

5. Do you plan subraces system that was introduced in Neverwinter Campaign Setting?
Edit: Here you can find details: http://forums.playneverwinter.com/showthread.php?t=4787

6. Will we be able to choose alignment and deities?

7. What is the maximum size of maps created by Foundry?

8. When will the beta start?

9. Can you give us at least a partial list of powers of classes?

10. Can you give some wizard gameplay video? All videos are about Trickster Rogues, with one exception of a fighter.

11. And lastly: Can you give our thanks to the Cryptic team, say hi from us and wish them luck?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2012
    My questions.

1. Will there be skill challenges?

2. What about puzzles? - maybe a door is guarded by a magic mouth and you have to know the answer to a riddle to get past it. etc.

3. What else will there be to do besides hack n slash and crafting?

4. Will we have dialogue choices?
    edited April 2012
    Qumi wrote: »
    To make things easier, more civil and more effective (without answering to double questions) I propose this thread. Here, i hope, Stormshade will find our questions and give answers.

Thread rules are:

- Keep the number of post to minimum. Let's keep it clean and not spammed, so think carefully about questions and post them all in 1 post if you can,

- no commenting, only questions

Later we can make a summary of answers.

My questions are:

1. The levels are said to range from 0 to 60, does it mean we will have 0 level characters and paragon paths?

You'll start at level 1, I'm not sure where 0 comes from. The 60 levels will represent the "Heroic and Paragon Tiers" to use 4th Ed. terminology.

2. Long ago Ranger and Cleric were also announced in an interview. Now we hear that only Rogue, Fighter and Wizard were announced. How is it then?

We're were only showing the Rogue, Fighter, and Wizard. More are coming, and Cleric's will definitely be in. We're not saying anything about the ranger at the moment though. Sorry!

3. Will items also have powers like in 4 ed? Will there be a special power slot for it?

I can't answer this right now. You'll have to wait and see!

4. How many builds a class will have at the beginning? (Trickster rogue, control wizard, etc.)

More details to come here as well, however, if you listen closely to the MMORPG Interview, you can get some hints... ;)

5. Do you plan subraces system that was introduced in Neverwinter Campaign Setting?

I'm not familiar with that system, can you explain it to me a little?

6. Will we be able to choose alignment and deities?

I'm not sure if we'll have flags for this, or will just leave it up to the RPers to handle it.

7. What is the maximum size of maps created by Foundry?

Is "Big" a good enough answer? :p

8. When will the beta start?

Later this year.

9. Can you give us at least a partial list of powers of classes?

Take a look at some of the videos and reviews, they mention some of them.

10. Can you give some wizard gameplay video? All videos are about Trickster Rogues, with one exception of a fighter.

11. And lastly: Can you give our thanks to the Cryptic team, say hi from us and wish them luck?

No, I don't want it going to their head. :p (Of course I will!)
    T77 wrote:
    My questions.

1. Will there be skill challenges?

I also can't talk about this yet.

2. What about puzzles? - maybe a door is guarded by a magic mouth and you have to know the answer to a riddle to get past it. etc.

Entirely possible, but I'm not giving out any details. Let me just say this, there are some really awesome DMs on the content team. :D

3. What else will there be to do besides hack n slash and crafting?

More info is coming!

4. Will we have dialogue choices?

I can't comment here yet either.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited April 2012
    My questions:) I know I'll be very tempted to add more later, but perhaps I'll just edit this post later when that happens.

1. How strong is the soft targeting in ranged and in melee?

2. How common are the spots where powers can be exchanged?

3. The numbers 1 utility, 2 at wills, 2 encounters and 1 daily are lowish. Will they be constant or will they be lower at start and perhaps increase beyond that?

4. Could you perhaps throw us a bone about the combat mechanics here?:p

5. What (besides gear, level and player skill) are the aspects of the character progression that the player can influence?

And that's it for now. Great job answering above already! Edit. On closer inspection.. you seem to have taken evasion feat and have high reflex saves:p Great job answering fast anyway:)
    edited April 2012
    Neverwinter Racial Variants

Q: Are you planning on more (even if small) releases of information out of big dates like that of PaxEast and before the next E3?

Q: Can the Foundry, at this point in time, link different quests together carrying some specific information from one to the next? (quest 1: optional kid is saved/killed --> quest 2: optional kid may be present or not based on quest 1)

Q: Can you explain a bit how armour works in the current stage of the game?

Q: Have henchmen dissapeared from the game or maybe I can hope/dream for something similar to SWTOR's companions but in mercenary style?

Q: How has affected the change to MMORPG to the campaign that you were developing?

Q: Is there (toggeable for Foundry quests) day/night cycle?
    edited April 2012
    My only real question...

How much variety will we have in making characters appearances? (Everything from facial features and skin tones, beard/hair styles and colors, eye colors, clothing/armor appearances and colors, weapon styles/colors, shield styles, designs and colors, glove styles and colors, shoe/boot styles and colors, cloak/pack styles and colors, helm/hat colors and styles, etc, to being able to have a hook for a hand or a peg for a leg.)
    edited April 2012
    My only question: Could you release slightly information once in a while (once per 2weeks?) just to keep forums alive?
    edited April 2012
    ... More are coming, and Cleric's will definitely be in. ...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    :)
    edited April 2012
    What is the mechanic for regaining hit points and spell points/mana after combat?
    edited April 2012
    My questions:

1. Are you implementing PvP in a forms of Arena and BG's or will it be world PvP ? Please elaborate.

2. Will there be a housing system ?

3. Will you be able to place your attributes and choose your feats and skills in total liberty just like the real D&D ?

4. Will the maps created by players that are really good be implemented in the game for everyone to have access to them ?
    edited April 2012
    gillrmn wrote:
    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    :)

It's a great day today, heh? ;)
    edited April 2012
    I understand that some of my questions wont have an answer but ill do it anyways :P

1: How often we wil get feats and wondering if we will have the same variety (at least the same of core books), also if the feats will have requirements to take it (like other feats, skills, base attackl, etc...)

2: Seems tiers will happen every 20 lvls, so i was wondering if a specific paragon path will have some feat, skills, requirements to take it (hope is not just a talent tree and pick one)

3: There will be pasive and active skills ?? for example, having athletics will make u jump more.

4: will guilds have more roles than just gather a group of people to make quests and raids together ?? was wondering if guilds could have a higher role by doing some archivments that would "change" future adventure/story lines/etc....

5: Does items propreties/powers will be similar to pnp 4th ?

6: this can be a stupid question :P But the caracter creation will be the same as pnp right ?? Ability score, AC/ref/will/con defence, speed, type of vision, skills, feats, etc....

7: should we expect tactical/strategic fights like we have in some MMO's raids , or just tank the boss and dps him to dead :P

Thx in advance.

Macabrius
    edited April 2012
    Okay here are some of my questions:
    1. Will combat have character colission?
    2. Are henchmen and followers still in after the conversation from co-op to mmo?
    3. Will players be able to "create" family ties with other players?
    4. Will guilds be able to form alliances? Or even sub-guilds?
    5. Will characters be able to jump around?
    6. If somone offers you to wash your car, will you reward him/her with a betakey?
    7. Will there be shards with different rulesets, like in PvE, RP-PvE, etc?
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Q: Are there plans for voice acted cutscenes, just typical mmo quest text popup, or something in between?

Q: Will it be possible for a player to take on the role of a DM for foundry-created content, like in NWN?

Q: Is there any content planned to tie in with the recently announced 'Rise of the Underdark' cross-media campaign-event-thingie?

Q: I know it's a long shot, but any content planned outside of the Prime Material?

Q: Miniature giant space hamster social pet. Yes or HELL YES?
    edited April 2012
    I also am grateful for your answering questions. Thank you.

Let me try to post some of mine. I fully respect a "No," "I cannot answer that right now" or "I don't know (yet,") answer of course with the "Yes" and "Maybe" ones. Here we go:
    1. Are there any "misses" in the combat, or do PC's and all enemies hit?

2. How does Armor and AC/Fort/Ref/Will work? Can you take no damage (and see above question as for hit or miss) or does every hit damage you?

(Thank you for explaining the massive HP gain as tweaked for the demo for many players to play and progress; edited part of this section out as was answered by Stormshade on another thread.)

3. Can you customize your character's class generation, or do you simply select from the class' several builds? Are Builds mandatory? Do we have skills we train?

4. Do feats work the way of the typical MMO's talent tree, work like the PnP feats, or something else?

5. Will there be (either selectable or assigned) character themes as in the 4E PnP themes, especially the Neverwinter themes?

6. It seems we have 60 levels for the regular and paragon tiers from 1-60 Are there any special "capstones" for hitting certain level numbers? Will there be Paragon Paths either we can select from or will be assigned to our class/build?

7. Blame the "level 0" question on this interview's received answer on
      Speaking of solo-friendly, how do you deal with differences in levels between players? What’s the level system?
      Can you explain what was meant by
      AV: The level range for Neverwinter is 0 to 60. It translates to heroic and paragon tiers, so you can divide the levels by 3 to heroic and paragon paths.

8. Are all classes that are immediately available on release (and planned to be in a future build: )
      • released playable (or will be playable) for free immediately
      • some be available for free after an "unlock" of some kind
      • some classes must be paid for or are "premium?"

9. Will there be Rituals? If yes (and you can talk about them,) how will the gameplay implement them?

10. Again, will Foundry-made games be inter-connectable so multiple modules can be played together as one world?

11. Can we have a group or team set up for a foundry creation or does it have to be only through one person (and one single person's account) when we have that social display in the game world that users see?

12. [edit] Will there be end game content? This is true for both when we hit level 60 and/or if an Epic tier will be introduced and we cap that.

Again, thanks team for taking our player questions!
    edited April 2012
    I guess here is my question:

Since you have had the Pax Demo, could you post a short video of gameplay form each of the classes that were previewed at Pax? Maybe a glimpse of the character creation?
    edited April 2012
    The OP has a great idea here, by creating a thread to simply ask questions. Let me reword a previous post into questions that fit the MO of this thread.

1. What will be done to avoid the Leeeeroooooy!!! factor? Will there be combat techniques to enhance simply hack n slash? Will there be useful, powerful crowd control spells that will make questing a lot more fun for many?

2. Will you REMOVE the silly Batman/Mortal Combat sparkly combat animations? Some of those sunbursts hit half the screen in length. Spending 4-6 hours of watching flashing lights every swing is going to get old fast. Just cutting back on the color intensity and size of the effect would go a long way to improve this issue. I've spoken two two guildies that will not move from my current game, DDO, solely because of these sunburst animations. One, who is planning to be our co-guild leader (if in name only) and another guildie who has eye problems that would force him not to play because of the sparklies. All this from only ONE character on the screen, could you imagine a full group/ Or worse a raid? I hope this gets addressed now, before its too late.

3. Will you create a crafting system that does not break the game economy/auction house? Crafting built into the character, selectable at character creation would be my personal preference, like it was done in 3.5e. DDO failed here, Im hoping you folks will succeed at doing it right.

4. Will guild leaders get robust guild leader tools? Strong guilds make a strong game. Guild leaders should have an alts database so we know who's alts are who's! There should be an easy way for the guild leader to know if someone left the guild... as well as how long its been since they've "been away".

5. Will we get a real multi-level dungeon mapping system that can be resized and/or turned off? DDOs mapping was a joke, and still cant handle multiple level dungeons. Naturally locations should remain blacked out if you havent visited. You should also be able to attach notes (think sticky notes or google earth) to any locations, and even save maps.

6. Will bards be master of crowd control, sonic and illusions? Spells that distract and fool the enemy... Mirror image, disguise self, dancing lights, ventriloquism etc. This ties into my wish for more strategy and creative solutions in quest solving.

7. Will there be Alignment consequences? Having choices that open and close future doors? Having some items/quests/paths that can only be gained by certain alignments (beyond needing a 20 UMD to wield Pure Good etc)? For example: Making a choice at a point in your character development that will define your future like taking an item that will make an enemy later or making a sacrifice that will gain an ally in the future.

8. Will we have varied quest types? A lot of the fun of P&P was having political quests, outdoor sprawling quests, military battles etc. Quests feel too contained and boxed. I realize that this is a factor of the video game format but some things could be done. Like for example, a military quest where you command troops and give simple orders before the quest starts (where they are deployed, what stance they take (defensive/aggressive etc)?

9. Will stealth mean something? What about rangers and rogues? Tracking and outdoor skills aren't used in DDO effectively or at all. That was the ranger's primary strength in P&P.

10. What are your plans for community involvement? Why stop at the foundry? How about player designed server events?<--- contests/awards for the best designed event that goes to development/storytelling etc.

11. We know we are getting a few races. How about the Gnome race? Gnomes are naturally friendly, highly social and fun loving people. They are respected by Elves for their communion with nature and knowledge of arcane magic, admired by Halflings for their humor, and sought out by Dwarves for their gemcutting skills. (masters of illusions) make great bards!

12. Don't let exploiters ruin this game. Will you stand by your EULA and Code of Conduct? DDO failed time and time again... letting exploiters run hog wild... when they did catch the big offenders, they'd give em lifetime bans, then let them right back after some telephone begging. Please make the rules clear, and stand firm. If they break the rules, do you have a plan to get rid of them after a certain level of abuse has accured?

Thank you Storm for addressing everyones' questions, and/or as many as you could get to. The questions are beginning to really pile up, but at least the community is starting to really grow now!
    edited April 2012
    Will reaching max level be mandatory to enjoy end-game content? That is to say, will it be like in other mmos where you literally can't enter an end-game dungeon unless you were max level? Or will it be like other mmos where you can take a break from level grinding and still be able to do some serious adventuring/raiding without being max level?
    edited April 2012
    1: Will there be voiced DM flavor text like in DDO?
    2: Will Rangers have true Animal companions
    3: If we get a cloak of Elvin Kind will we actually be able to see it on our avatars (IE Visible cloaks)
    edited April 2012
    1) Watching the gameplay videos (like the dev one) you can pretty clearly see a tab that says "Pets" on it in the character equipment page. What can you tell us about this?

2) Keeping with the animal theme (because I love them), as asked just above me will we be seeing true animal companions for rangers and such?
    edited April 2012
    My only worry.

Will Neverwinter support the use of gamepads such as PC pads or 360 controllers?
    edited April 2012
    Pretty sure it will Rune ;) Game does use their engine which I believe is now standard game pad support.
    edited April 2012
    1. Will there be horses and can we ride them into battle ?

2. Will a shield be able to block attacks?

3. Will there be housing of any sort? if so what?

4. Will there be resource gathering in game? If so what?

5. Ranger may be out what about the Paladin, Druid, Bard and Barbarian?

6. Will one be able to disable traps, search for secret doors, pick locks?

7. Will i be able to make a multi level dungeon with steps and all?

8. Will Ancient dragons truely have a horde of treasure?
    edited April 2012
    Just a little question here but will the Foundry be available in an in-game editor or will it be in a separate programme? Looks really innovative.
    edited April 2012
    zacpower4 wrote: »
    Just a little question here but will the Foundry be available in an in-game editor or will it be in a separate programme? Looks really innovative.

Most likely an in game editor. You won't be able to import assets and such from other locations. If it goes like STO does, you access the Foundry from the character select screen.
    edited April 2012
    zacpower4 wrote: »

Silver is right, they have already announced that it will be in-game, from the game menu and without having to install any extra exe or something.
    edited April 2012
    Only one from me:

Will there be raid type content requiring large groups of players to complete (any details on plans for this would be nice)?
    edited April 2012
    silverspar wrote: »
    Pretty sure it will Rune ;) Game does use their engine which I believe is now standard game pad support.

I didn't see any such thing in STO. I suppose it may have been added later on. :p

So, again, I ask.

Will Neverwinter have gamepad or 360 controller support, as Champions ONline does?
    edited April 2012
    Hehe, its there. I actually went to check it and the option for game controller is in options.
    edited April 2012
    If we are experienced with the NWN toolset, how steep will the learning curve be with the Neverwinter toolset.

How robust is it going to be? i.e. How many Monsters, how many tile sets.
    edited April 2012
    Ziegler wrote: »
    If we are experienced with the NWN toolset, how steep will the learning curve be with the Neverwinter toolset.

How robust is it going to be? i.e. How many Monsters, how many tile sets.

My advice is to check out the STO foundry very similar.
This discussion has been closed.