Install Arc
Options

Welcome to Neverwinter

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2011
    Fhariel wrote: »
    Ok, guys, is my first post and my english is bad... (my mothetongue is spanish)
    This is game of NVW is online? if so, how where I can download? i cant find the link on the official webstie...

Greetings form Argentina.

It is not finished yet. The game arrives winter 2012.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Oh....the video looks so sweet...I am at work..but am so excited about this upcoming game...looking forward to it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really hope this is done well,if it is it will be the game I have been waiting so long for:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like that hat was the one you were waiting so long for? God, I hope not! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To everyone involved please do justice to the true legend left behind by Neverwinter Nights 2, I still can't bring myself to forgive the abomination that is DDO. Not so long ago I re-bought NWN2 Platinum on Steam and I would rather play that in isolation than the online tragedy that I mentioned a sentence ago and the utter insult that felt they could have a virtual last resting place for Gary Gygax. This game has always sold and will always sell because of quality content not for some empty F2P dead-end experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    tis a cool game. cant wait to play it. sounds cool though i dont like hearing about the part about it being hard to level from what ive heard.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    *flail* I know it's a year away but I already have an RP guild idea. I am way too excited about this game.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have played most RPG/MMO and have been waiting for a true to rules open ended MMO for a long time. The closest attempt for any game so far was UO with the best part being skills developlment and player economy (housing system was pretty cool too), but that was lacking in the quest/adventure arena. DDO was fun for a while but lacked in open ended freeplay. The foundry here really peeks my interest and I have high hopes.

Can hardly wait!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    im more exited about NWN toolset then game itself xD.Im big fan of NWN games and i hope this game will be fun as NWN 2 was but even if it not i know i will have much time fun with toolset soo in general i cant wait for game to come!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi all, excited to be here, but an entire year's delay?
    [Sobs]
    Hoping for Beta Testing very soon.

Like now? :p
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I just cannot wait until Neverwinter goes live :p
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I agree! Cannot wait for this game to go live! Ive been keeping up with the Drizzt books for years, finally playing a game that will open that world on screen will be amazing, cant wait til Q4 of this year.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    To everyone involved please do justice to the true legend left behind by Neverwinter Nights 2, I still can't bring myself to forgive the abomination that is DDO. Not so long ago I re-bought NWN2 Platinum on Steam and I would rather play that in isolation than the online tragedy that I mentioned a sentence ago and the utter insult that felt they could have a virtual last resting place for Gary Gygax. This game has always sold and will always sell because of quality content not for some empty F2P dead-end experience.

Your comments prove that you've obviously never played DDO since it's the best game out there. It went F2P and boosted sales, not became dead-end. It's always growing and has tons of new things coming the next few months, as it always does every 1-3 months. You don't know what you're talking about. I don't see how you could think that the offically sanctioned D&D game by WOTC/Turbine shouldn't have a virtual shrine to GG. It's absurd that you think that's out of place or insulting lol. I think your ignorance on the subject is just shining through. Not to mention the fact that NWN2 does not compare to NWN1, so of course you've already proven yourself to not know much about the quality of a game, online or not.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ferrick976 wrote:
    Your comments prove that you've obviously never played DDO since it's the best game out there. It went F2P and boosted sales, not became dead-end. It's always growing and has tons of new things coming the next few months, as it always does every 1-3 months. You don't know what you're talking about. I don't see how you could think that the offically sanctioned D&D game by WOTC/Turbine shouldn't have a virtual shrine to GG. It's absurd that you think that's out of place or insulting lol. I think your ignorance on the subject is just shining through. Not to mention the fact that NWN2 does not compare to NWN1, so of course you've already proven yourself to not know much about the quality of a game, online or not.

Ya know, I agree fully!

QFT

And as for LorianStone, I draw the line when you insult the godfather of all modern gaming saying he doesn't deserve to be honored in the game he freaking (think of another f-word) invented in the early seventies! Love or hate DDO, it's D&D, and Gygax and/or Dave Arneson should always be honored in any form.
    Coming from a person who 99% of the time stays away from extreme words like always and never, that says a lot.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Ya know, I agree fully!

QFT

And as for LorianStone, I draw the line when you insult the godfather of all modern gaming saying he doesn't deserve to be honored in the game he freaking (think of another f-word) invented in the early seventies! Love or hate DDO, it's D&D, and Gygax and/or Dave Arneson should always be honored in any form.
    Coming from a person who 99% of the time stays away from extreme words like always and never, that says a lot.

Guys he wasn't insulting Gygax or Arneson but rather i think he meant to insult DDO by saying IT wasn't up to par or deserving.

I've seen many a thread in the ddo forums saying how they dislike DDO as it no where near like pnp dnd.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Asm0deus wrote:
    Guys he wasn't insulting Gygax or Arneson but rather i think he meant to insult DDO by saying IT wasn't up to par or deserving.

I've seen many a thread in the ddo forums saying how they dislike DDO as it no where near like pnp dnd.

What did it for me... sure I started up DDO again to get rdy for their xpac to so how it goes. What I don't get is this, how is it that in NWN they can stay pretty damn close to PnP... hell even NWN2, and yet the devs at Turbine can't?

I just accepted the fact that DDO will be and only will be is a DnD hybrid. I'll enjoy it for what it is worth and quick having a stick up my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over it.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Saco123 wrote:
    What did it for me... sure I started up DDO again to get rdy for their xpac to so how it goes. What I don't get is this, how is it that in NWN they can stay pretty damn close to PnP... hell even NWN2, and yet the devs at Turbine can't?

I just accepted the fact that DDO will be and only will be is a DnD hybrid. I'll enjoy it for what it is worth and quick having a stick up my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over it.

Lol you would have to ask turbine, i enjoy turbine for what it is as well but some don't is all i was saying.

When i think of turbine i think of a drunken sailor that hasn't found his land legs and keeps weaving left n right instead of down that center line and that pretty much how i view their attempts at balancing things :D
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    looking forward to BETA :)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I hope the team takes all the time they need to make an excellent game. I agree with others here in that I hope the end result is like NWN 1 - only easier to use with more options and better interface. If this turns out to be just another fantasy game, I have no interest. Give us a toolset and turn us loose.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I hope the team takes all the time they need to make an excellent game. I agree with others here in that I hope the end result is like NWN 1 - only easier to use with more options and better interface. If this turns out to be just another fantasy game, I have no interest. Give us a toolset and turn us loose.
    Neverwinter will not follow the traditional style of NWN series. One of the developer has addressed that this game will be an ARPG similar to Vindictus. The NWN clunky movement doesn't fit well into modern ARPGs.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Neverwinter will not follow the traditional style of NWN series. One of the developer has addressed that this game will be an ARPG similar to Vindictus. The NWN clunky movement doesn't fit well into modern ARPGs.

Sorry if I missed what was said a while back, but can you link where the developer said this is going to be like Vindictus (or an ARPG,) unlike the article writer who may have made their own conclusion this way?

If any developers want to confirm in this forum that it will be like (or not like) Vindictus. Please do. This talk came up before without conclusion if that earlier article writer based this decision on actual developer discussion on that specific Vindictus game or their own experience what an ARPG was like then.

For the record, that article is here and the text said:
    This new home for Cryptic has allowed the developer to continue their MMO-development tradition with Neverwinter. That's right, Neverwinter is shifting from the co-operative multiplayer game that was announced last year and into full-fledged, free-to-play MMO territory. In fact, it's shifting towards the action end of the MMO spectrum. Transferring a Dungeons & Dragons universe into an action setting might sound strange to D&D veterans, but it's been done before with some of the Baldur's Gate games. The 4th Edition of D&D also has some new rules that lend itself well to action games, which is exactly why Neverwinter is using 4th Edition as its ruleset.

The developer says Neverwinter will be closer to a game like Nexon's Vindictus, where combat is controlled by mouse clicks, and where pattern recognition and reflexes are the keys to successfully murdering hordes of monsters. Vindictus is also session-based, with each action foray designed to last about twenty minutes (Rusty Hearts, mentioned above, also follows this pattern). It's entirely possible that Neverwinter will follow this session-based structure as well, though it's worth remembering that both Vindictus and Rusty Hearts were developed for an entirely different market. Neverwinter is one of a very small number of games designed for the Western market to be free-to-play from its very inception. This is probably going to have and an effect on leveling curves, character designs, questing, skills and, well, virtually every aspect of the game.

The MMORPG.com article that talks about the change to the action genre with Squez here said

MMORPG.com:

Why has the team decided to take Neverwinter from a CORPG format to a true MMO? And what does it ultimately mean for the game and The Foundry content and all of that? Is anything sacrificed?

Andy Velasquez:

The change from CORPG to a full action RPG F2P MMO is a change that just made sense for us. Perfect World wanted to go big. Expand everything. Do more. Do better. Take your time. Really blow it out. Pushing into 2012 allows us to make these changes. Transitioning into a full-featured action RPG, free-to-play MMO allows us to reach a whole new audience of people. Never underestimate barriers to entry. With a free client, anyone can play. Try it. Where's the harm? It's better for the game, better for us, better for D&D and infinitely better for fans and gamers. With Neverwinter, we're going to prove that F2P does not describe a type of gameplay - it only describes the fundamentals of a business model. We're going to deliver what could be the first AAA Western-developed action RPG MMO. No after-the-fact transitions. We're building it right from the ground up.

That being said, there is no sacrifice. Everything we had planned to do for the Foundry is going in. More than we ever had planned for the game is going in. If anything, focusing on a free-to-play experience pre-launch allows us to do more with the game and The Foundry than we had previously planned, as we have more time to make more environment kits, more monsters, more traps, more... everything.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Sorry if I missed what was said a while back, but can you link where the developer said this is going to be like Vindictus (or an ARPG,) unlike the article writer who may have made their own conclusion this way?

If any developers want to confirm in this forum that it will be like (or not like) Vindictus. Please do. This talk came up before without conclusion if that earlier article writer based this decision on actual developer discussion on that specific Vindictus game or their own experience what an ARPG was like then.
    The source is at the beginning of the second paragraph you quoted:
    “The developer says Neverwinter will be closer to a game like Nexon's Vindictus, where combat is controlled by mouse clicks, and where pattern recognition and reflexes are the keys to successfully murdering hordes of monsters.”
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The source is at the beginning of the second paragraph you quoted:
    “The developer says Neverwinter will be closer to a game like Nexon's Vindictus, where combat is controlled by mouse clicks, and where pattern recognition and reflexes are the keys to successfully murdering hordes of monsters.”

And this has been interpreted both as the interviewer's opinion and the developer's opinion. I'm no longer supporting either camp and looking to the dev's to say if it's like that game or if it's just more MMO less "co-op"and the interviewer made that comparison incorrectly.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    And this has been interpreted both as the interviewer's opinion and the developer's opinion. I'm no longer supporting either camp and looking to the dev's to say if it's like that game or if it's just more MMO less "co-op"and the interviewer made that comparison incorrectly.

Truth i have to ask what is open to interpretation ?

Unless the the interviewer is flat out lying in his article he writes The developer says...

When you say such a thing it means you were told by the devs thats how it was, there's no interpretation needed, its English 101. Unless the interviewer lied....

Also all they told us and the interviewer was that the control would be "closer" to Vindictus. The interviewer then proceeds to tells us how the controls work in Vindictus presumably for the benefit of those that never tried it before.

This doesn't really say much about if there will be combo clicking like in Vindictus or if the control will be more a la DDO where left click means attack period. We can deduce it certainly wont be turn based though.

I agree we need to know though if that still true as it may have changed.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They did not say that, the interviewer said they said. I never heard of anything since and this is where I stand on clarification. If you read the interview, it seems that the reporter is interpreting what an action RPG is possibly not necessarily that it was told literally that it would be this game. Now if we could get a reply from any of the game developers that it is or is not like this then it would be settled. But if you look at all the interviews, this gameplay was never brought up (either confirming or contradicting) again.
    Asm0deus wrote:
    Truth i have to ask what is open to interpretation ?

Unless the the interviewer is flat out lying in his article he writes The developer says...

When you say such a thing it means you were told by the devs thats how it was, there's no interpretation needed, its English 101. Unless the interviewer lied....

Also all they told us and the interviewer was that the control would be "closer" to Vindictus. The interviewer then proceeds to tells us how the controls work in Vindictus presumably for the benefit of those that never tried it before.

This doesn't really say much about if there will be combo clicking like in Vindictus or if the control will be more a la DDO where left click means attack period. We can deduce it certainly wont be turn based though.

I agree we need to know though if that still true as it may have changed.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They did not say that, the interviewer said they said. I never heard of anything since and this is where I stand on clarification. If you read the interview, it seems that the reporter is interpreting what an action RPG is possibly not necessarily that it was told literally that it would be this game. Now if we could get a reply from any of the game developers that it is or is not like this then it would be settled. But if you look at all the interviews, this gameplay was never brought up (either confirming or contradicting) again.

Semantics, again the interviewer is saying that's what he was told either we take that at face value or disregard the whole article as lies.

If you read carefully he claims the devs told him game-play would be closer to Vindictus.

The rest is the interviewers opinion i agree based on it "being closer to Vindictus" but that not saying much as that can mean a whole lot of different things.

If it is like you say then the person that wrote the article needs to be fired and go back to school and take english grammar lessons.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Asm0deus wrote:
    Semantics, again the interviewer is saying that's what he was told either we take that at face value or disregard the whole article as lies.

If you read carefully he claims the devs told him game-play would be closer to Vindictus.

The rest is the interviewers opinion i agree based on it "being closer to Vindictus" but that not saying much as that can mean a whole lot of different things.

If it is like you say then the person that wrote the article needs to be fired and go back to school and take english grammar lessons.

I would agree with the reporter because imo, wrong information about the game would be more harmful than no information. And so they would have surely corrected this if it was wrong.
    Even if not completely true, the end product should turn out to be better or equally awesome imo.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Quote in discussion:
    In fact, it's shifting towards the action end of the MMO spectrum. Transferring a Dungeons & Dragons universe into an action setting might sound strange to D&D veterans, but it's been done before with some of the Baldur's Gate games. The 4th Edition of D&D also has some new rules that lend itself well to action games, which is exactly why Neverwinter is using 4th Edition as its ruleset.

The developer says Neverwinter will be closer to a game like Nexon's Vindictus, where combat is controlled by mouse clicks, and where pattern recognition and reflexes are the keys to successfully murdering hordes of monsters. Vindictus is also session-based, with each action foray designed to last about twenty minutes (Rusty Hearts, mentioned above, also follows this pattern). It's entirely possible that Neverwinter will follow this session-based structure as well, though it's worth remembering that both Vindictus and Rusty Hearts were developed for an entirely different market. Neverwinter is one of a very small number of games designed for the Western market to be free-to-play from its very inception.

and the second to last post before mine
    Asm0deus wrote:

Look, now you're saying I'm saying the only way this would be otherwise if the reporter was lying just after you type semantics. That's bad form.

What I'm saying is maybe the reporter was told it would be action-oriented, and the reporter used an example from their experience what they thought it would be like from other action games.

I don't think a confirmation or even a dialogue interview where this was brought up is too much to ask.

And the next time you use a word semantics (that emphasizes interpretation or meaning,) please do not use examples later that potentially polarizes or goes to extremes, thank you.

gillrmn wrote:
    I would agree with the reporter because imo, wrong information about the game would be more harmful than no information. And so they would have surely corrected this if it was wrong.
    Even if not completely true, the end product should turn out to be better or equally awesome imo.

And of this I firmly hope to be true no matter what the game-play style.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Quote in discussion:

and the second to last post before mine

Look, now you're saying I'm saying the only way this would be otherwise if the reporter was lying just after you type semantics. That's bad form.

What I'm saying is maybe the reporter was told it would be action-oriented, and the reporter used an example from their experience what they thought it would be like from other action games.

I don't think a confirmation or even a dialogue interview where this was brought up is too much to ask.

And the next time you use a word semantics (that emphasizes interpretation or meaning,) please do not use examples later that potentially polarizes or goes to extremes, thank you.

And of this I firmly hope to be true no matter what the game-play style.

No i showed you a direct quote from the interview that the interviewer was told the combat was "closer to vindictus".

You're the one that's not accepting this and is stating its the interviewer opinion only.

It can't be both ways, its either one or the other, either the interviewer is stating an opinion as you say and as such needs grammar lessons or it's like i say you need reading lessons.

gillrmn wrote:

Is funny you agree with a quote that supports my claim lol and furthermore is something i was thinking as wrote that post.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I want to know how can I play the game.