Install Arc
Options

Official M16: Stats and Mechanics

1242526272830»

Comments

• Options
    eoleeeolee Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Sounds like a "real CRITICAL issue"... Existing since beginning of the game.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User

Sure. Why should ANY stats be useful for healers? They already don't need accuracy, arpen, or combat advantage.

Take your strawmen with you when you leave, and don't let the door hit you on the way.

How did you conclude that? If anything, having to focus on only one attribute is more beneficial like Power than having to focus on three. And thus makes Healer's life easier since they already were building Power before. Aaaand if they, let's say, want to try out their DPS build in cases where the team needn't much heals, since there are builds that hit like a truck, Power is STILL more beneficial to them. If you need to build Critical Chance to heal, I see that as a broken mechanic that makes the life of Clerics harder.

I do not think you understood me. What I argue is the concept of a "Critical" healing, which sounds stupid. How exactly someone "Critically heals"? Can you explain me this concept through any sort of realistic scenario? Like, "I was walking the other day and I got CRITICALLY HEALED, thus my cheekbones turned bright red like in the days of yore."
    Like, how?
    Perhaps, instead of a critical heal something like "Any overflow healing transforms into a Temp HP" sounds better imho.
    It's easy enough to cap all offensive stats on all class/role combinations. Having Critical Strike be a complete dump stat for healing would be unfair since you literally can't get rid of it. You can easily build for maximum Power without giving up any amount of Critical Strike that would make a difference.

Critical healing as a concept makes perfect sense: your spell was more effective than usual thanks to your high stat ratings. Works for me.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    fenrir4lifefenrir4life Member Posts: 295 Arc User

Sure. Why should ANY stats be useful for healers? They already don't need accuracy, arpen, or combat advantage.

Take your strawmen with you when you leave, and don't let the door hit you on the way.

How did you conclude that? If anything, having to focus on only one attribute is more beneficial like Power than having to focus on three. And thus makes Healer's life easier since they already were building Power before. Aaaand if they, let's say, want to try out their DPS build in cases where the team needn't much heals, since there are builds that hit like a truck, Power is STILL more beneficial to them. If you need to build Critical Chance to heal, I see that as a broken mechanic that makes the life of Clerics harder.

I do not think you understood me. What I argue is the concept of a "Critical" healing, which sounds stupid. How exactly someone "Critically heals"? Can you explain me this concept through any sort of realistic scenario? Like, "I was walking the other day and I got CRITICALLY HEALED, thus my cheekbones turned bright red like in the days of yore."
    Like, how?
    Perhaps, instead of a critical heal something like "Any overflow healing transforms into a Temp HP" sounds better imho.
    You're acting like this is a new mechanic; healers have been gearing for crit forever, and having no useful secondary stats turns a sizeable part of the itemization budget on most gear into dead weight.

I do understand you, but your arguments are all fatuous blatant strawmen.

If your cheekbones are visible bright red, you are in critical need of healing because there's supposed to be skin on top of those bad boys, and furthermore, "walking one day" and "the target of a magical effect that knits bones, closes wounds, and restores lost blood" are such different scenarios as to be completely irrelevant as points of comparison.

If you want narrative justification, it's MAGIC. Its effects are unpredictable, its rules unstable, or the crit chance is just the game engine emulating the case of the heal being overcast with a higher-level spell slot. If you want perfect emulation of D&D rules, then no AoE attacks can crit at all, since those use saving throws, not attack rolls.
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    vorphied said:

It's easy enough to cap all offensive stats on all class/role combinations. Having Critical Strike be a complete dump stat for healing would be unfair since you literally can't get rid of it. You can easily build for maximum Power without giving up any amount of Critical Strike that would make a difference.

Critical healing as a concept makes perfect sense: your spell was more effective than usual thanks to your high stat ratings. Works for me.

But, Power can't be capped.
    "For the time being" is the key.

What happens when healers can't cap crit yet could potentially need it in order to be useful? In two, three, four mods it can become an issue. This happened before, too!
    This makes no sense to me any more than a possibility of a critical teleport, critical dodge, critical evade, critical deflect, critical life-steal (and this was a thing with life steal severity where I get 17.000.000hp for hitting a mob, seems plausible lol), or critical speed.
    The thing is, this can become a nuisance later on and people might start crying on the forums that healers are not really useful in group compositions, asking for more offensive roles and buffs to their offense roles.
    If the team @ Cryptic wanted a clear distinction between the two roles of Healer/DPS, then a healer should heal without having to worry for attributes such as Critical Strike.
    In fact, a feat or a power that transforms a hefty percentage of attributes such as accuracy, critical-strike, armor penetration etc should be directly applied to power and power alone, thus allowing a healer role to be more useful in that scenario when in group compositions, but also having a DPS role for single-player styled combat for beating regular content. After all, a healer is a healer! You shouldn't be playing a Healer in order to be TOP dps. This sort of mentality is what historically led to many problems in the game.
    They should not work against player-own's defensive attributes (god forbid if this is the case). Critical hits happening only when there's a 50% chance to critically heal, especially with powers that have crazy CD makes no sense to me whatsoever. I see that as some form of a discrimination towards the healer role.
    I already see healers dropping down their Healing role for the sake of DPS role in many pug runs.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User

If your cheekbones are visible bright red, you are in critical need of healing because there's supposed to be skin on top of those bad boys, and furthermore, "walking one day" and "the target of a magical effect that knits bones, closes wounds, and restores lost blood" are such different scenarios as to be completely irrelevant as points of comparison.

OffTopic, but still better than waiting for NWO to patch...

Hehehe...Errrr I'm pretty sure we didn't catch-up on terminology, red cheeks/cheekbones represent an old idiom defining someone's absolute topnotch health in contrast to paleness on face that used to be contributed to illnesses (still is). This used to be a sign of girl's amazing health, and thus was thought of that she can give a good birth to a healthy child. Many stories throughout the ages note this, and quite often, too! You have entire makeup industry trying to copy or perceive this sort of looks on girls giving them "Rose cheeks".

If you want narrative justification, it's MAGIC. Its effects are unpredictable, its rules unstable, or the crit chance is just the game engine emulating the case of the heal being overcast with a higher-level spell slot. If you want perfect emulation of D&D rules, then no AoE attacks can crit at all, since those use saving throws, not attack rolls.

I still want my critical dodges/teleports/shift-away ability by using this very logic you're giving here since that, too, is magic. At least in Wizard's case. :p
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    I think we’re all aware that Power doesn’t have a hard cap; any discussion about capped stats can safely be assumed to be about Critical Strike and such.

My main point remains that it’s impossible to divest yourself of offensive stat ratings even if you want to, so critical healing is fine. It’s much simpler to keep things status quo in that regard than to rework them for no good reason. Critical Strike in particular is a stat that you’d have to *try* not to cap in order to fall below the threshold for max effectiveness.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    vorphied said:

I think we’re all aware that Power doesn’t have a hard cap; any discussion about capped stats can safely be assumed to be about Critical Strike and such.

My main point remains that it’s impossible to divest yourself of offensive stat ratings even if you want to, so critical healing is fine. It’s much simpler to keep things status quo in that regard than to rework them for no good reason. Critical Strike in particular is a stat that you’d have to *try* not to cap in order to fall below the threshold for max effectiveness.

for all its worth, while leveling to 80, i was over 100k crit, so yea its hard to not reach the cap i believe
  • Options
    rafamarques#5700 rafamarques Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    ""I was walking the other day and I got CRITICALLY HEALED, thus my cheekbones turned bright red like in the days of yore.""

Technically you described a miracle ... Divine cleric, remember. hahaha

but yes, critical+healing... weird
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    Nothing should be capped...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!