test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD: Professions Overhaul

Comments

• mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    > @omegarealities#7219 said:
    > I am currently using my Leadership and Jewelcrafting (on Xbox) to make crates of AD and Gems for the Stronghold. Will this be gone now? Is there a point to keeping all the Heroes that I have currently? Or, should I start selling them off while they are worth something.

Crates will be coming back. Not sure where AD crates will be, but it has been stated that Stronghold donation crates will be in the final product.
    Whether or not you sell off your laborers is up to you. They will be converted into labor vouchers which you can either donate to your Stronghold or trade in for exchange currency to purchase new assets.
  • krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User

I understand the desire to clean slate and not create the same problems of current Leadership/Alt armies...

Not sure if Daconislupus wants to be blamed for my thoughts... :)

What is with the whole "Alt armies", as if having multiple character, of which you bought slots with zen, and the rising each one of these with the huge number of hours it takes to bring these up to close to max level, etc. Why is this a bad thing? Some people farm seals, others run randoms for AD on multiple accounts, everyone has their play style.

Personally I have a toon for every class just to try each out with an open slot for a new class (if one ever comes). What is the point of a bank (and, again with extra zen purchased slots), shared mailbox, account wide anything if it wrong to leverage those?

There is nothing 'wrong' with Alt armies - as you rightly point out, purchased with Zen (or AD to Zen). The game allows for and caters for you to have them, otherwise you could not buy extra slots! The trouble is they are unbalancing the game through production (so I am guessing by the changes to AD earning and other caps). They have created a monster, and are now trying to control it. Alt armies is a convenient term for this, not a denigration.

My point was exactly that - many of us have spent time (and in many cases real money) to get where we are at, and we are emotionally invested in our virtual world, 1 toon, or 20. I personally think that not compensating players when removing/changing features legitimately purchased and time spent implementing is very poor customer relations - just so they can control the monster they created. Unfortunately they have done this in the past, and look set to do it again. They know some will leave, but others will come along. I see it happening once again but I will still suggest options or urge alternatives, even if it is futile.

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

Every existing player's professions levels will be adjusted to the new scale. For example, if you are currently level 25 in a profession, your profession will now be level 70. Every level on the current ladder will be mapped to the appropriate level on the new ladder.

This was my biggest concern - thank you for the clarification! My alts are all breathing a major sigh of relief.
  • nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

Whether or not you sell off your laborers is up to you. They will be converted into labor vouchers which you can either donate to your Stronghold or trade in for exchange currency to purchase new assets.

Or, since they're unbound, you could probably sell them to other players...
  • vigilante#2764 vigilante Member Posts: 67 Arc User

As I have mentioned, the current recipe costs will see some adjustment. That said, in addition to farming gold if you need to use it yourself, this provides new opportunities to generate value for those looking to make a profit without directly engaging in professions, selling gold to others...

As far as raw material gathering is concerned, keep in mind that a single task results in a dozen items. That being said, although you will be able to more actively create things, there is somewhat of an intentional bottleneck on raw resource gathering, as we'd like to promote more trade.

Further AD sinks being forced on crafters... They are looking to capitalize on the 10% auction house cut from sales. So the supposed revamp to professions is just a charade to shred the ad people are scrounging up. Increasing AD value on junk gear by making it +1? really? ffs does anyone really believe that with a 100k a day cap people are going to buy less than mastercraft gear for a minimal difference in stats and gearscore? As we haven't seen the +1 versions of the mastercraft gear it is hard to envision much of a gain over the current gear people are pulling out of Barovia.

The only people that would willingly buy the non mastercraft gear that is being proposed are the truly noobish players that don;t know any better. Do you really think that taking advantage of those that don;t know any better is the best way to promote loyalty in this game?

I have been playing on the ps4 since consoles went live and have for the most part avoided the forums. It seems like a rather pointless endeavor as the more players respond to posts the more politician like the responses become in the "we are looking into it" " it's planned for a future update" and just outright avoidance of questions occurs.

At this point, I have finished all campaigns on multiple characters and after the ad nerf have very little reason to play. I currently lack only 2 barovia boons on my dps, tank, and dc. The other characters I have are useless for anything beyond crates for the strongholds within my alliance. I log in solely for crafting most days.
    Yes, I am a mastercrafter and have invested no small amount of time, ad and yes real life cash into it. I am not in anyway looking forward to these changes. The materials I have painstakingly gathered for the last two years, spent guild marks, ad, and zen to gain are becoming all but wasted. The days of crafting elemental aggregate, then unified elements, not to mention the time gathering elemental fire, earth, air, water. The time invested in crafting leadership boxed for those same materials, all to find they will be useless. oh sorry tradeable for points of some sort that from what I have read will get me rank 1 versions of crafters. The entire revamp is a huge middle finger to those of us that have done the grind and spent hour upon hour working towards mastercrafting.
    The argument that I should have made the ad back from crafting is lost in that I have only recently completed the final unlocks of tier 5 and have missed the boat, so to speak, on the big ad gains that were initially possible. Now the only values left in mastercrafting are in the mastercraft weapons with which I must compete with the long time mastercrafters that are able to manipulate and control the market.
    I understand that was a bit of a rant but these changes that keep being made aren't going to take the ad out of the game that is expected because the 1% of players that are holding the 90%+ of the ad in the game aren't being affected at all. The only players that are being affected are the newer players and the longtime grinders.
    You should really consider what you are doing to your player base.

• razlat13razlat13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    free2pay said:

Btw what is going to happen to event related professions like Summer Provisioning? Any change to the reward from Level 10 quest "A True Professional", what is the reward? Any impact to lockbox? Any changes to titles?

I can't complete this quest because the NPC, M'tari Prin'tal, is not there. The quest needs to be updated to the new NPC or she needs to be added back.

I'm not sure what level the new crafting quest is at, so I'm having to grind on my new character to test out the progress from level 1.

• ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    Out of curiosity, what is going to happen to the Black Ice Master pack? Given that the content of it will be useless in mod 15.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    edited September 2018
    zephyriah said:

No, you were correct. Leadership crafts labor as a level 17 task. However, they have already said in this thread that there will be new sources of labor items for donation.

Second, nowhere have they said that these crates are being removed from the game as of yet. They have only said that crafting crates are not yet on preview. You are making an assumption, which may or may not turn out to be true. We need to wait a bit to draw any conclusion. Moving the ability to craft those crates to a different profession is just a possible as them eliminating them due to leadership removal. This is my hope, but we will see.

Except you're doing the exact same thing, making assumptions. Only you're going by something that is said by a dev which is notoriously unreliable. I'll believe the crate thing when I see them and I've seen nothing that indicates that AD and labor will be moved to another profession and not just removed entirely given how poorly this whole thing have been thought out.
    So again you're making assumptions while telling me to stop. Could you make up your mind?

At least I'm going by what can be seen on preview. If they don't want us to make judgement or statements based on a partial system then they shouldn't release half systems.

On another topic, what's going to happen to Icewind Dale? With the removal of Black Ice Crafting and the overload enchants from that, IWD is a useless area that's going to be forgotten. Good luck to future players trying to level the campaign I suppose, the place will be near dead.
    Post edited by ilithyn on
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User

asterdahl said:

Every existing player's professions levels will be adjusted to the new scale. For example, if you are currently level 25 in a profession, your profession will now be level 70. Every level on the current ladder will be mapped to the appropriate level on the new ladder.

This was my biggest concern - thank you for the clarification! My alts are all breathing a major sigh of relief.
    If you have any level of a profession, you will get Gathering for free. Aka, got Leatherworking at 25, you get Leatherworking at 70 and you get Gathering at 70 for free.

If you have Leadership at 25 you get Gathering at 70... and nothing else O_o

• nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User
    @asterdahl Thank you for the additional information you are providing. It is appreciated, even if the latecomers are overlooking it. I'm looking forward to the next preview build. Do you know when that might be available, please?
    asterdahl said:

A lot of people no doubt engaged in the old system because as some have said, to not engage would be "leaving money on the table." It's not that you particularly found the system fun or the moment to moment gameplay enjoyable. Understandably, if you engaged to not leave money on the table, and are generally not someone who enjoys crafting, these changes may actually make the whole thing seem more tedious, because you'll be engaging in bigger albeit less frequent chunks.

But changes that make professions seem "more tedious" to those who engage solely for profit was not at all the goal of the new system, but an unavoidable byproduct. A professions system which promotes trading and primarily generates wealth for those engaged by sales to other players is healthier for the economy and creates more enjoyable gameplay for those who want to craft for the fun of it. (It also creates opportunities for others to profit by selling things to crafters that they need.) A system where an upfront investment results in an infinite stream of revenue that requires no continued input from the economy encourages everyone to engage for fear of losing out.

Tl;dr people who engaged in the crafting system to help their guild grow are people who are playing the game wrong according to you and needs to be saddled with an tedious, complicated and counter intuitive system if they wish to continue to help to the extent that they have so far been able to.
    And you still claim that you're not trying to force content or force people to only play in certain ways that you determine are the correct ones? Or push people who are "doing crafting wrong" (according to you) out of it?

Right, that sounds absolutely believable.
    Not.

Reason number, HAMSTER I forget which number I'm up to now, that I'm out with mod 15.
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

I have already addressed this earlier in the thread, no need to get all caps lock about it! Artisan exchange is not in the current preview build. We are currently finalizing the details of how it will work, but it won't be 1:1 with your existing artisans because they are significantly more valuable, with epic and rare artisans being much more rare than their counterparts in the old system.

That said, we will be working to ensure you can get started right away with enough artisans of the proper level to pick up where you were before the changes.

I would guess well over 95% of the uncommon, rare, and epic artisans in the current system were from lockboxes. there is the one thing for I think the tower district that gives you an uncommon of each but other than that it was lockboxes at least as far as I can remember.

I'm assuming profession packs will be coming back in the new lockbox with mod15(probably added to glorious resurgence after that as well). Guessing artisans will be in those packs.

It also just dawned on me that since they aren't assets anymore they aren't tradeable. My guess is contracts from lockboxes(if they get added) and zen market will be tradeable.

• mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    onodrain said:

Okay, but,

Why is that a bad thing? The game has to be profitable in order to hire developers and maintenance staff. I get people don't like it, but we should at least acknowledge that the game has to incentivize purchasing Zen in order to continue existing.

There is a difference between making Zen worth purchasing, and unfairly compensating you for spent Zen by introducing such crazy RNG into store-purchased items. Why is it that it's acceptable to purchase things from a store for a video game and have no HAMSTER clue what you're actually going to get? If you go to any other store anywhere, whether online or brick-and-mortar, you know exactly what you're purchasing and can decide whether the juice is worth the squeeze before you hand over your cash. For some reason, gamers and game developers have this attitude that game developers have the right to make you spend money in the hopes that you'll get what you want - or that what you get will be of value within the game setting. In the real world, that's called "gambling" and it's highly regulated for a reason.
    Not really. Go into a restaurant and you are not really sure what you are getting.
    That's why chain restaurants are so successful. You go into a McDonalds anywhere on the planet and you have a pretty good idea what you are getting.
    onodrain said:

There are lots of mislabeled items on Amazon and outright misinformation, including bogus recommendations.

You can also return things that aren't as advertised
    onodrain said:

Ever play the claw machines? You can try for something, but might not get it.

Many stores used to have gumball machines that would spit out random stuff.

Gambling has been a part of human nature forever. When you gamble, you are not sure what you are getting. It is highly regulated because of skin games. It was easy for the house to cheat. You are correct that much of gaming provides random rewards. It is a way for the gaming companies to make more money and keep people interested in playing.

Now we are getting to the meat of the matter. It's gambling pure and simple what's more it's likely very bad for people who have a tendency towards compulsive gambling.
    onodrain said:

And so far as entertainment, these free to play (and the pay to play) online games are cheap compared to going to a movie, buying a blue ray, going to a concert, going out to eat, etc. Divide the money you spend by the number of hours you play and it will be a small $/hour. Much cheaper than other entertainment.

An endgame character can easily cost $500-$1000 especially if you get unlucky. Not saying you should use them but even the RMT people you can see advertising in protectors enclave will charge $15 to $20 for a high end enchant cheaper than the cryptic gamble method but still much more than a low cost entertainment. But that's just me and I remember all too well when you could see a movie for a buck.
  • onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User

<7

An endgame character can easily cost $500-$1000 especially if you get unlucky. Not saying you should use them but even the RMT people you can see advertising in protectors enclave will charge $15 to $20 for a high end enchant cheaper than the cryptic gamble method but still much more than a low cost entertainment. But that's just me and I remember all too well when you could see a movie for a buck.</p>

You got lazy on me at the end.

So how many hours do you think people will play after spending $1000 on a character?

That is the crux of your argument and where my assertion is correct.

The rest of your arguments are really a matter of perspective and opinion.

Back to the thread, I am very interested in seeing the artisan exchange on test when it makes it there.
    edited September 2018

• I'm cherrypicking your words for that quote. It sounds like more RNG is being introduced into professions? Is that a correct observation? Do you feel the community is going to be excited for more RNG to be introduced when in most cases RNG seems to punish players more often than not (see lockboxes, hunt lures in M12/13, mastercrafting, upgrading gear/enchants, etc)

In reading your post, it seems you did not bother testing. It is pretty simple the new process. I will spell it out for you:

The chance of success on any profession task is your artisans modified Proficiency divided by the Proficiency requirement of the item. If your artisan's modified proficiency is higher than required by the task, then you have 100% chance of success.

In order to get High-quality versions (+1) of an item, you have to have Focus. Focus is an additional stat. The modified Focus of your artisan divided by the Focus required of the task determines if you succeed with the High-quality version.

As an artisan increases their levels, their Proficiency and Focus increase. The starting numbers for Focus and Proficiency are a range. So each artisan will be slightly different.

In addition to your artisan's raw Proficiency and Focus, they can use tools. The tools required level and quality determines how much Proficiency and Focus it adds to your artisan. Currently on test, a level 70 normal tool increases both Proficiency and Focus by +382

In addition to the artisan and their tool, there are also Supplements. My testing has not been extensive, but I did see the supplements offered by Alchemy. The level 70 alchemy Supplement, Adept's Electuary. increases the Proficiency +28. I did not see any Supplements that impact Focus.

Rare and Epic artisans would be expected to have higher stats. High-quality tools will have higher stats. High quality Supplements will offer higher increases. Not all of this is on test server yet.

On test, high quality materials do not show in their tootip an increase in Focus, but when used on Test, it increases the chance of High-quality result by 3-4%, for each high-quality material used, on the level 70 item I tested.

The end result armour and weapons will have specific stats and the High-quality armour, weapons, etc would be expected to have higher stats. So in addition to the base-level Mastercraft items, there will also be high-quality Mastercraft items.

Please note, the version on test is a very ROUGH version. Many things are not included. And anything you do on test right now will be wiped when the new test patch comes out. So proceed with that in mind.
  • someonediessomeonedies Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    @asterdahl ABC order maybe?

Rimuru?
    Dead 🔪
  • hannibalsmith#0854 hannibalsmith Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    In the old system you could make guild contribution items for free. In the new system they will cost gold, resulting in lower gold contributions to the guild. I hope this is considered when setting commission prices on guild contribution items.

In the old system you could make guild contribution items for free. In the new system they will cost gold, resulting in lower gold contributions to the guild. I hope this is considered when setting commission prices on guild contribution items.

Maybe they will make precious metal ore able to be donated to the guild as gold. Everything is speculation at this point, as the test server patch is very raw and unpolished.
  • mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    onodrain said:

Maybe they will make precious metal ore able to be donated to the guild as gold. Everything is speculation at this point, as the test server patch is very raw and unpolished.

Pay gold to create an item that can be donated as gold. Hmmm...

Depending on the cost to create and the amount of the donation, it may be better to just donate gold.
  • krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User

onodrain said:

Pay gold to create an item that can be donated as gold. Hmmm...

Depending on the cost to create and the amount of the donation, it may be better to just donate gold.
    And don't forget the cost of the mats/time before that point!

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • erikanudanerikanudan Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Currently, existing refined black ice and unrefined raw black ice are not converting into anything in new trade skill system. Will they be converted to 'something' with black ice crafting gone? Or nothing? Or remain a floating 'ghost' currency?
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I thought he said that there is a new vendor near the forge in Caer Konig that you can use those at?
  • seveninchbladeseveninchblade Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Cancelling the gathering task during the tutorial breaks it. If you restart the task with a different artisan it will not recognize when you are told to withdraw the results from the box.
    Charisma was my dump stat.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    BUG: I can not go on in the tutorial because it claims I have a full delivery box. This is the first task, so it is IMPOSSIBLE.
    https://images.tinypic.pl/i/00971/vi73wofcjibc.png

Post edited by mushellka on
    Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • barbaraburnsbarbaraburns Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 34 Arc User

3. One of the big bottle necks to master crafting wasn’t the high cost to entry, it was the high cost to compete with the handful of users that had access to the extremely rare legendary tools, this meant that a small number of players could cost everyone else who invested into the system out of the market creating a monopoly. Whatever the final changes to master crafting, they need to be more than an AD sink, but they also need to be leveled so that any player can make a reasonable investment and be rewarded without the fear of futility because a few players have lucky RNG, or hundreds of millions in AD.

I am excited for the changes - they sound awesome and like they have a lot of thought devoted to the improvements.

I have been playing Neverwinter since before Icewind Dale launched. This entire 5+ years, my RNG in this game on a GREAT day is getting 2 or perhaps 3 upgrades from a 99 stack of p-wards. I LIKE crafting use-able practical things for myself or guildies .. I loved being able to craft my own greater Black Ice Enchantments which you are taking away from me in mod 15. I could EARN the materials to craft the overloads - the only RNG involved was whether I might get a 2nd one instead of just the one. Currently all my professions on all 3 of my toons I have left are maxed and have been for months. I have now consolidated all my assets to my DC for the coming professions changes which are also going to require me to gear her for being an AC DC - which is very expensive to do as you know.

Adding more RNG to professions may become a huge bottleneck for me as well as others plagued by terrible RNG luck - bad RNG already currently keeps me from being able to do much Mastercrafting since I have to choose between gearing up my 2 current playable toons towards being able to do end-game content or put my meager resources towards MC.

I understand very well that NOT everyone wants to do professions at all, let alone Mastercrafting .. but for those of us who like crafting and want to do it .. we need to ALSO have a path to doing all the professions, including Mastercrafting, that does not make us reliant on RNG for end results.

Not all players that want to do professions let alone Mastercrafting have millions of AD laying around collecting dust to sink into the various AD sinks .. mine gets spent on marks for upgrades or new gears/companions/artifacts/etc as fast as I can earn it. I hope that a tiered result will be considered and implemented for Mastercrafting so that like crafting the Black Ice Enchantments, everyone has 1 guaranteed result for our efforts and committed resources and for those with the better tools/resources to have options for 2X+ results.

Thank you for listening and responding to all of us!!!
    Hope you have a great day!
    mushellka said:

BUG: I can not go on in the tutorial because it claims I have a full delivery box. This is the first task, so it is IMPOSSIBLE.

Not impossible. Did you have 9 tasks on the character that were complete but not picked up prior to moving the character to Test? Those tasks are in the chest. I cannot remember how many slots you initially have, but it is probably 9, so they could be filled with completions from Live.
  • mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    onodrain said:

mushellka said:

Not impossible. Did you have 9 tasks on the character that were complete but not picked up prior to moving the character to Test? Those tasks are in the chest. I cannot remember how many slots you initially have, but it is probably 9, so they could be filled with completions from Live.

So how do you imagine the implementation of the workshop on live? Will we receive a message the previous evening that we should clean up our profession slots before the new module? This problem must be solved now, regardless of whether we have picked up tasks or not :)

Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • flippy#8481 flippy Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    mushellka said:

yep - same issue

even tried deleting character and re-uploading

guess what . . . something in box yet again

blocked and locked