test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

OFFICIAL FEEDBACK THREAD: Professions Overhaul

Comments

• Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User

Only question I have is, once you start a gathering quest to "gather all that you can" how do you stop it? I saw no way to do it, and mine have been collecting raw amethyst and siltstone for 4 days now. When I was collecting copper ore it stopped once the collection box was filled, but the amethyst and siltstone never seem to fill it. And I am up to almost 1000 of each item, even with using the corresponding crafting tasks.

It stops wen the Delivery box is full or when the morale drops to less than 5
  • Options

Things that were actually wrong with professions:
    1) Did not make gear that was competitive with minimal rewards from dungeons/skirmishes/seals.
    2) Lack of customizable gear. Why have fixed recipes if the player's making his/her own items?
    3) Tedious interface without "collect all" buttons.
    4) Overuse of multi-layer RNG in mastercrafting means you have to be OCD or a sucker to actually go through with it.
    5) Temporary mastercrafting vendors in guild strongholds were an obnoxious resource sink. Not being able to keep all the necessary ones in the same stronghold at the same time despite the enormous stronghold map was ridiculous.
    6) Having to essentially make a new guild just to hold the explorer's boon was also obnoxious.

Obvious solutions:

1) New recipes that are slightly better than blue dungeon gear but not as good as Seals of the Crown gear.
    2) Customizable gear. The player gets to allocate stats from a pool within limits (i.e. gear at a certain level will provide a certain amount of HP - since that mistake has been around since mod 5 - which cannot be exchanged for power, deflect, etc.).
    3) Collect All button
    4) Change mastercrafting success rate to mastercrafting completion percentage.
    5) Just have a mastercrafting building in PE with all vendors.
    6) Put the explorer's boon building in a previously vacant space on the guild map.

Things actually fixed by new system:

Actually, in the Delivery box is a collect all (completed projects only) button.

I like your other obvious solutions.
  • Options

(For example: If everyone wants a guild rank X+ for Masterworks, what chance have those under X of getting enough players to get there, if the guilds that are already there get all the new recruits.)

[ Redacted. ]

Not good, but in about 2 years one of my Gauntlet Guilds has gone from Rank 3 to Rank 8 while my Guild (Helm) has gone from Rank 11 to almost Rank 12 (should be finished with Rank 12 just before Mod 15 launches.
  • Options
    quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    How do I finish the tutorial, it says to "Collect your Item from the delivery box.", I have at least 3 times completed tasks and collected the items, and yet:

"[NPC] Maelys: Now we need only wait for our adventurer to return with the goods. Generally, you'll collect the results of your adventurer's gathering tasks the next day or after a long adventuring session of your own.
    If you're keen on waiting here, you can continue having your artisans craft items by using the worktable in the meantime."

it never seems to actually complete the task for the quest?

Also, how are only epic tools going to be used? Should I sell those now (on live) or not?

• Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    Hi,

I as was also stuck by the "delivery box is full" bug (i only understood how to bypassed it after I had finished the testtime I allowed myself for the week end), what I write next will be essentially "feelings" based on what I read here.

First of all, what I like and what I dislike in the current live crafting mechanics

I like :
    - crafting is not really time consumming as you only have a bunch of clicks to do. You don't need to "physically" wandering around to find and extract ore from veins by yourself for exemple, or take time to hit your hammer on an anvil and activating a furnace to make a swordblade from a redhot ironbar. You send one of your artisan do it in the background for you, and you can quickly create from nothing. It's more or less level 0 in crafting gamplay.
    - the ability to make it very profitable, through investing nothing but AD->Zen for alt-army + waiting time for leadership or alchemy, or by a whole lot of RNG frustrations and/or AD commitement for developping mastercrafts.

I dislike :
    - the fact that my character is not really involved in the crafting tasks which let me feel more like being a business/economical manager than a crafter (i usually love management/business games, but it feels wrong in a med-fan MMORPG).
    - Neverwinter is the level 0 in crafting gameplay (I know it seems to be a contradiction with "I like point 1").

In the new preview crafting mechanics doesn't feel like a real new deal, aside the 2nd big hit for the alt-armies (after the 100k DA account cap, and before the next hypotetical hit which would obviously aim the praying rewards).
    A little more time to spend on one toon for craft (because loading PE and workshop, then wandering around your workshop), taskcosts preventing you from running craft with too much rerolls, morale mechanics preventing from doing craft all the day with one toon, and increasing RNG ideas with the introduction of RNG-dependant stats on artisan.

It will probably lead to a lot less characters involved in crafting game-wide, so probably prices would rise (or rise in proportion to general wealth as it seems for me mod15 will be less AD-created than today) on AH for what is solely craft-dependant. But i'm not sure if it will fill the profit-hole for someone who love crafting parts of the game.

As my general opinion on crafting system in Neverwinter, live or preview, I would say it is not an enjoyable nor a successfull one.

For me, an enjoyable crafting system is bound to 3-4 things :
    - some sort of gameplay making you investing real time on it (as any other farming activities in MMORPG)
    - ability to make what you want to equip on your character, as a "self sufficient" player, including BiS stuff (or viable alternative to looted BiS stuff)
    - ability to make ingame currency with your crafts
    - interraction between players "cratfer/seller - customer relations", not "seller-AH relations and AH-customer relations".

So what is wrong in Neverwinter crafting in my opinion :

Too much, too much, too much lootable stuffs that are immediately equipable + BiS, and no really interesting stuff in craft today (obviously nothing can compete as a starter vs Vistani free stuff, not many crafts can compete vs loots/braveseals as "cheap stuff to gear up", nothing can really compete as BiS or nearly BiS vs loots [bronzewood maybe ?]).
    This is really the HUGEST killer of any crafting system trying to do something else beside consumables.

Good-BiS stuffs should not always be a direct drop (how i am able to loot amorpieces on any non-humaoïd [except blob-kinds or huge-stomach carnivor monsters who swallow and not shred their meals] ??? ).
    Sometimes, we should see "boss/monster drop a bottleneck ingredient involved in the reciepe" and then you can craft the BiS let's say armor, sometimes we should see "the armor dropped is partially destroy", craft-repairing it yourself or ask someone who can (a way to invite people in your workshop and a safe "trade"-like interface is needed here, where you put ressources for the player-crafter + what he asks as payment, he can crafts directly in this interface, and the result go to your deliverybox instead of his) or repairing it (with crafted consummables) before you are able to wear it.

Let's say Demogorgon's belt is now a level70 MasterCraft II with 100% success rate, and to craft it you need the two testicules of Demogorgon, and the loot chances of 1 testicule are twice as much as the belt is today.
    Isn't it a way to make crafting valuable without touching the "rarity" of the item, the ability to sell the direct loot with profit, the ability to buy a belt in the AH (as obviously crafters will also buy-craft-sell), and also a little more AD sinked in the AH ?
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User

I've to say that I look forward to these changes, I took a look in preview, and it almost made me sad that I've everything ranked up to Masterworks III-V and won't get to level up anything in the new system.

It really takes a clearly dated and tedious system and brings it to life in an engaging way that, so far, looks really worth exploring.

So kudos on your hard work, I look forward to fully (Excluding levelling it up, which I won't be able to) exploring the new professions system when it arrives on live.

Another "Console player asking what might be obvious to PC players..."

With this new system, does a new route to Mastercrafting exist?
    Or is it still, a case of "Complete the quest Join Guild Thats Done the Hard Work for You".
    I ask as a GH8 Guild Leader, and also on behalf of people who dont even want to join a guild.

And if the answer is, "You could always join a high level guild, get the quests then leave." my reply would be...

"Then what's the HAMSTERING point of locking it behind a Guild wall in the first place?"

Perhaps it is meant to encourage and reward those that have put the effort into levelling their Guild.

Do mind, I think the quests should be available to alliance members as well, as I know full well how difficult it can be for small to medium sized guilds to grow by themselves.

However, Masterworks is practically the only guild-related content with any bearing in the current state of the game outside of Boons.

We really need a few updates to Guild content, and a rework to Marauders, by the seven hells, the vouchers are virtually completely worthless which makes doing more than five waves pointless, it is only good to gather 600 weekly influence.
    There are a hundred and one things that could be done to improve Guilds, and speaking as someone who has a rank 4 stable further rewards "outside of Boons" is quite laughable.

But I get that those who did put in the hard graft to get to GH 20 earned their rewards
    Its just one more reason for new players to see no benefit from joining a smaller guild thereby really depriving those newer guilds of the most desperate resource out there when it comes to playing catch up, namely Players.

I'd really hoped that a Professions overhaul was going to recognise the difficulty smaller, newer guilds have in reaching the dizzy height of double figures, with lots of sexy new ways to forage, hunt, or craft guild resources beyond the Leadership crates and equipment boxes previously available.

Looks more and more like the majority of the design brief was, "Make Gold a viable third currency".
    Damn you and your hamster, you just gave me quite the terrific idea that Cryptic would never implement.

With the increased importance of artisans in the new system, and the ability to actually see them as more than 2D icons hidden away in a tab of a pouch, they have the opportunity of making an aspect of professions actually story driven.

For example, imagine community-sponsored artisans, extremely rare artisans with particular quirks, as written by members of the community, with small story-lines that progress as you level them up.

Proper characterization of the artisans beyond "Sit here, work on that", has the possibility of through small, simple adjustments, along with well chosen quests and cleverly picked quirks, make the players end emotionally invested in their artisans, something which would had been unimaginable in the current system.

"What is it, faceless, nameless Grandmaster Alchemist Nº23? You don't feel like crafting unified elements this week? Well, isn't that a pity. - Assigns. - "

But alas, I highly doubt such degree of story-driven gameplay could interest Cryptic.

It is not like this is a session of Dungeons & Dragons.
    Anything that improves character development and "buy in" is manna from heaven as far as I'm concerned.
    (D&D veteran of over 35 years...)

I think there is an even better way, but we're talking a whole Mod's worth of development that I'm not sure everyone would buy into, particularly those who shun Guilds.

Wait for it...

"Factions"

Allow players, or Guild, or Alliances or all three to join and work for a Faction.

These already exist in number within the game.
    Each could have its own sub campaign and weekly/monthly targets and Rewards.

Membership could be an AD sink and Requirements could be something similar to a combination of Guild donations and the WoD weekly hoard. Rewards could be all sorts of things from Guild Vouchers, Gold, rAD, and even campaign currency toward boons and items.

My SW for instance would love to join the Zhentarim... my HR pines to be a Harper... my CW will shave his head and buy a season return ticket to Thay for that Red Robe (but don't tell anyone I told you that..)

All of these could be tied to contributions of stuff you might not otherwise bother to craft.
    "Lords Alliance needs to arm its new recruits with L25 weapons and armour"
    "The Purple Dragons need a load of low level healing potions"
    "Neverember needs some special pants to accommodate that stick up his..."
    you get the idea.

I could go on for days about the various faction related quests, mini missions and instances that could even update to accommodate and compliment new Mods as they drop.

But it would be great for character immersion, and give people an extra reason to craft and forage for all those recipes that are likely to see no action when the player hits 70 on the Profession of their choice.
  • Options
    mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    Just a note, the game is still dropping coupons and bombarding players with adverts to buy profession packs all without telling them, that their purchases will soon have radically different value and usefulness. Especially true for people who get epic assets or buy packs seeking to get epic assets.
  • Options
    nunya#5309 nunya Member Posts: 933 Arc User

@nunya I didn't see Stronghold contributions after the recent patch. Did a general search for "crate" and scanned each profession (mine are 70, some up to MW3) but didn't see anything specific to Guilds. So I assume they are not included yet.

What I DO NOT want to hear is "Well, you can contribute crafted gear as Surplus Equipment". The Guild Mark payback won't be worth the gold spent. Better to contribute the gold directly.

Still, Guilds need more than just gold to advance. On Live we can craft Labor, Gems, Gold, Equipment and Astral Diamond crates for free. I do hope they will still be there and won't cost more than a few copper when the update hits Live. Or, better yet, when the artisan finds out it's for your guild, forego the commission :)

Thank you for taking a look and confirming that I wasn't missing something. I'm also hopeful that crafting this stuff for the guild will be very cheap. Fortunately, Labor will be the only craftable thing my guild will really be short on for a while. By the time this update hits live, between my and my wife's characters, we will have banked over 7k gold, 800k surplus equipment, 600k gems, and 5k AD - and our coffer for all these things will be full, as well. I'm expecting to have about 220k labor in the coffer, but it will not be full because I'm using it to invite the Recruiter to our guild for Influence. So I may be able to take a bit of a "professions holiday" once this does hit live and just have our 17 characters focus on generating Labor. :D

@tanais58crane Thank you for your willingness to check. You can reveal the hidden recipes by clicking the gear icon at the bottom of the crafting window, and making sure the first setting is unchecked. I forget what the label is for that setting. This setting also exists for the gathering window and the steps to change it are the same.
  • Options
    arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    no quick fix to preview bug on gathering quest completion? are you guysb delaying this so the player base go on rant on fixes for the pre-module 15 artisan on bags not being trasnformed to their respective quality contracts?, why no increased amount on morale when we upgrade workshop? some tasks have a 30+ morale value
  • Options
    mushellkamushellka Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 357 Arc User
    Good idea would be if the content of the game (campaigns, dungeons, skirmishes, chests) drop gear/items only with bonuses (+ 3% for something, eg), but without statistics, that we would create by profession. Obviously imposed on the framework from-to. With the additional possibility of obtaining a high quality product.
    But this probably will never happen :)
    Better to feed the troll than listen to the idiot .
  • Options
    midental#5256 midental Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    @DEV

Is it possible to add name of crafter to items crafted? Like a signature. I think this add could be a very nice thing for people like me loves to craft items....

Example: on the info of the item we can read CRAFTED BY

Or it is impossible?

Thanks
  • Options
    hannibalsmith#0854 hannibalsmith Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Blacksmithing - Level 41 "Mithral Scythe" - requires 2x Steel ingot. Not consistent with other Mithral item recipes.
    Post edited by hannibalsmith#0854 on
  • Options
    oakheart#3219 oakheart Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Are masterworking Platesmithing and Mailsmithing being combined, or do you still have to level each separately?
  • Options
    liambradshaw#2102 liambradshaw Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    So as a masterworker who has invested 1000s of hours and actual money into the current system will all my hard work be for nothing? I would be very upset if every old Joe could make masterwork items considering that it was so hard for me to get to where I am now.

Besides that I'm happy the professions is getting a rework. Only thing I would ask is that can we PLEASE just park our toons in the new crafts instance and not have to load the enclave every time we need to go there. The loading times are really really shoddy.
  • Options

So as a masterworker who has invested 1000s of hours and actual money into the current system will all my hard work be for nothing? I would be very upset if every old Joe could make masterwork items considering that it was so hard for me to get to where I am now.

Besides that I'm happy the professions is getting a rework. Only thing I would ask is that can we PLEASE just park our toons in the new crafts instance and not have to load the enclave every time we need to go there. The loading times are really really shoddy.

I doubt that doing masterwork will be much easier, really. Even if it does get easier, I can't see that many people deciding to take it up. I think, for the most part, that the people who are interested in doing masterwork are already doing it. I know people in the game who won't even touch professions in order to help themselves or their guild. Personally, I've leveled all the existing professions (Black Ice excluded) to L25 on 13 separate characters, and I have Leadership going on 4 new ones. While I was a little tempted by masterwork for a short time, and while I can never say never, I know that if I ever get into doing masterwork that it's going be a very long time from now. I'm happy being able to make things for my guild and my characters and I'm not keen on interrupting or disrupting that in order to do something like masterwork. Plus, I'm just generally sick of leveling professions and doing stuff like that. So I wouldn't worry much about there being a flood of new people doing masterwork, really.

As for your other point, I agree that this shouldn't be an instanced zone for a couple of reasons. As you've mentioned, it's a pain to go there. Next, it puts you in your own private chat channel and you can't talk to anyone in PE and, especially, anyone else doing crafting. I also think they should put a marker on the overworld map to let us go straight here from wherever you are, instead of having to traipse through Protector's Enclave every time. For now, the way I'm planning to deal with this is to set up my characters to have their artisans doing stuff that I won't want to interrupt or change during the day, then I'll park them in the Grand Emporium or Trade of Blades. When I want to empty their delivery boxes, the load times for those places are really low and I'll just empty the boxes remotely and pay the morale cost to do so. Of course, that plan doesn't work until and unless you have the ability to remotely empty the box.
  • Options
    asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    empalas said:

asterdahl said:

I have already addressed this earlier in the thread, no need to get all caps lock about it! Artisan exchange is not in the current preview build. We are currently finalizing the details of how it will work, but it won't be 1:1 with your existing artisans because they are significantly more valuable, with epic and rare artisans being much more rare than their counterparts in the old system.

That said, we will be working to ensure you can get started right away with enough artisans of the proper level to pick up where you were before the changes.

I would guess well over 95% of the uncommon, rare, and epic artisans in the current system were from lockboxes. there is the one thing for I think the tower district that gives you an uncommon of each but other than that it was lockboxes at least as far as I can remember.

I'm assuming profession packs will be coming back in the new lockbox with mod15(probably added to glorious resurgence after that as well). Guessing artisans will be in those packs.

It also just dawned on me that since they aren't assets anymore they aren't tradeable. My guess is contracts from lockboxes(if they get added) and zen market will be tradeable.

We do not have any current plans to offer artisans in lockboxes and have no plans to allow trading of individual artisans. The recruitment contract from the zen market can be sold, however, there's no guarantee as to what artisan you will get when you use it. Additionally, it is impossible to have more than one of the same artisan.

Again, all artisans as of launch can be earned entirely via in-game means without interacting with lockboxes or the zen market. However, the rarities and value of an artisan vary wildly from the old system. I wouldn't argue that you're incorrect about the source of most current artisans. The issue is that the number of artisans you'll employ in the new system and the value of those individual artisans is very different.

That said, as mentioned, we will be providing a way for you to instantly employ some artisans as you convert over, details will be forthcoming as soon as they are final.

onodrain said:

There are lots of mislabeled items on Amazon and outright misinformation, including bogus recommendations.

You can also return things that aren't as advertised
    Actually, No. I won’t digress into how I know this, but suffice it to say that I don’t shop at Amazon anymore. Or Whole Foods for that matter.
    onodrain said:

Now we are getting to the meat of the matter. It's gambling pure and simple what's more it's likely very bad for people who have a tendency towards compulsive gambling.

Indeed, and you’re probably aware that whether “lockboxes” and such are gambling or not, is a hot topic with some governments at the moment. Until Cryptic introduced the “(Howling) Adventurer’s Pack” to lockboxes, my assumption was that there was an intention to make everything in a lockbox – and everything else purchased with Zen – have some real value, so that even if you didn’t get what you wanted, you’d at least get something you can trade for what you want.

If it’s true that a new “professions pack” purchased with Zen or got from a lockbox can produce white/common artisans, then that is much more like gambling, because there’s a real chance that you won’t get anything of value when you “roll the dice.” Or, at least, you’ll get something of significantly less value than what you risked on the “die roll.” That’s the essence of gambling, and it’s much different than getting a random item from a selection of items which all have some real value.

Furthermore, if green/blue artisans can’t be combined in any way to make purple artisans, that’s again more like gambling, because the green/blue artisans will have much more limited value than they do in the current system.

Indeed, you can no longer send your artisans on a task: "four enter, only one returns—stronger, better, faster!" (What happened to the others!?) However, as mentioned, you can earn all current artisans via simply playing.

@asterdahl ABC order maybe?

Things are in alphabetical order aside from armorsmithing in that image, there is a bug currently with the ordering int he UI, but we will be resolving it, thank you!

I thought he said that there is a new vendor near the forge in Caer Konig that you can use those at?

That is correct, basically all the existing black ice recipes will now be available at the top of the stairs at the black ice forge in Caer-Konig, they'll be available in the next preview build. A minor note: we removed the recipes for lesser overload enchantments and merged the resource requirements into the greater enchantments which you can now make directly.

In addition, we will be removing the concept of raw and refined black ice, with sources that granted raw now granting black ice directly. You'll still be able to convert any leftover raw ice at the forge. Once you have 0 raw black ice, the line will no longer appear in your currency tab.
    mushellka said:

BUG: I can not go on in the tutorial because it claims I have a full delivery box. This is the first task, so it is IMPOSSIBLE.
    https://images.tinypic.pl/i/00971/vi73wofcjibc.png

Anything you were currently crafting on live will actually be in your delivery box, as there is no longer any other way to collect the results. Thank you for the report, we will be making it so you can empty this ahead of time if you have something in there in a future build.

@asterdahl I have no Idea.. How about Chultan/Masterwork tools?
    image image image image

Also fix Auction House:
    detailed here https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1241728/pc-neverwinter-ui-revamp-auction-house

Masterwork tools will be updated on preview build this week, along with real values for proficiency, focus and commission on masterwork tasks. (Those numbers may see further adjustments.)

• Options
    mdarkangel#4696 mdarkangel Member Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    > @liambradshaw#2102 said:
    > Only thing I would ask is that can we PLEASE just park our toons in the new crafts instance and not have to load the enclave every time we need to go there. The loading times are really really shoddy.

Asterdahl answered this back on page 1, so it's easy to miss.

> @asterdahl said:
    > Upon reaching certain milestones in the professions quest series, you will unlock a remote recipe book and a sending stone which allow you to view recipes and place orders/craft items and empty the delivery box remotely. Anyone with professions already maxed out will be able to reach these milestones very easily.
    >
    > Though crafting (rushing) an item instantly will cost a bit more morale remotely, and emptying the delivery box remotely will cost a small amount of morale, you'll be able to do so from anywhere if you can't be bothered to return to the shop. Morale replenishes at the start of each day and can be recharged for astral diamonds.
    >
    > The only tasks that cannot be done remotely at all are hiring and firing artisans and adventurers, upgrading the workshop and assigning gathering tasks. However, whatever gathering tasks you have assigned can be set to continue indefinitely so long as your delivery box does not fill up completely.

However, a VIP change from "Teleport to Moonstone Mask" to "Teleport to Workshop" or even changing the Professions Vendor to our retainer with full access to collecting/crafting would probably be more desirable.
  • Options

asterdahl said:

Although these items are unlikely to be ready for launch, we are taking the feedback under advisement for future quality of life improvements. The ability for tasks to automatically continue once the box has been emptied for instance was something we would have liked to have available at launch, but will take some time due to some technical limitations with how the system was originally built. (Despite looking dramatically different, the professions system was built on top of the fundamentals of the original system.)

Forgive me, but there isn't a great track record of timely quality of life improvements. This very system has (for all the many reasons) been problematic since day one and all these years have passed without quality of life improvements. Cases where we have seen quality of life improvements have been long past the time when we would have liked to see them.

If you can't make the system good enough, please consider delaying your launch of these changes.

The suggested change of pausing artisans's repeating tasks is not something we view as the difference between whether or not the system is "good enough." I understand your sentiment, but there will always be additional quality of life improvements that can be made.
    wylonus said:

potions on vendors are cheaper than making fresh potions.

All medicine type recipes will create more than 1 potion on live (and I believe they may do so already on preview, if not, they will in the next preview build.) In the case of healing potions, you'll be able to make a dozen with a single recipe.
  • Options
    Also, thank you all for your reports about the delivery box issue in the tutorial, we apologize for the inconvenience this is causing for those of you trying to test professions. We are currently investigating the issue and hope to have it resolved in a future preview build.
  • Options
    tchefi#6735 tchefi Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    @asterdahl
    Is there any mid-term plan, not necessarily for this module but let say for the 3-9 months in the future, to add recipes for some pure fashion items other than the alchemy dyes (or multiply the variety/colors for the alchemy dyes/tamarlune dyes) ?
    I really want to tune my outfits with my splendid flashy green owlbear :rolleyes:
    I don't really feel like Neverwinter is populated with the army of clones (if I only take the main character from each player), but it would definitely be nice to have a little more fashion choices.
  • Options
    hannibalsmith#0854 hannibalsmith Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    Mudstone Whetstone +1 has an icon of Gold Ingot +1.
  • Options
    mutantgunmutantgun Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure I missed it, but I saw that reinforcing kits are still craftable, but is there any news regarding the stats difference between the currently available version on live and the new higher quality (+1) version that mod 15 will give?
  • Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    mutantgun said:

I'm pretty sure I missed it, but I saw that reinforcing kits are still craftable, but is there any news regarding the stats difference between the currently available version on live and the new higher quality (+1) version that mod 15 will give?

The kits are one of the things still missing on preview. We don't know the stats.
  • Options
    forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    @zephyriah (or anyone else who can answer)
    zephyriah said:

Mostly, You will get 2 gatherers and 2 of your chosen profession to start. Players can at least get started on the one they want the most right away.

I'm a bit tight on disk space atm so unable to stick a copy of preview on. If anyone could check for 2 issues I would greatly appreciate it.

1) Someone who levelled any non-leadership profession gets full leadership/gathering, *plus* their own profession. They get 2 artisans of their profession and 2 gatherers? Does Leadership get only 2 gatherers, or 4 gatherers, or what?

2) In Jewelcrafting, there is a recipe to make an Aberrant Belt/Ring/Waist item, which, if it crits from quality tools, can turn into an unbound Gemmed Exquisite Aberrant B/R/W. Jewelcrafters then have the option to further re-craft that into a Bind-on-Pickup (char bound) Personalized Belt/Ring/Waist, which has 2 enchantment slots. It's one of the few recipes I was heading toward with my current Jewelcrafter, and wondering if I should level other chars in Jewel as well (since they are BoP). Intent was to make some half-decent belt/neck items for my companions who use those slots.

Is the same/equivalent recipe in the new system? Undecided at this point whether I should continue with the process of creating these items.

(Apologies for the messed up quote, quotes seem to mess up for me sometimes)

• Options
    onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User

1) Someone who levelled any non-leadership profession gets full leadership/gathering, *plus* their own profession. They get 2 artisans of their profession and 2 gatherers? Does Leadership get only 2 gatherers, or 4 gatherers, or what?

2) In Jewelcrafting, there is a recipe to make an Aberrant Belt/Ring/Waist item, which, if it crits from quality tools, can turn into an unbound Gemmed Exquisite Aberrant B/R/W. Jewelcrafters then have the option to further re-craft that into a Bind-on-Pickup (char bound) Personalized Belt/Ring/Waist, which has 2 enchantment slots. It's one of the few recipes I was heading toward with my current Jewelcrafter, and wondering if I should level other chars in Jewel as well (since they are BoP). Intent was to make some half-decent belt/neck items for my companions who use those slots.

1. In the new system, everyone gets 2 gatherers plus 2 other artisans in the profession of their choice as part of the initial workship quest line. In the new system, a normal artisan with 50% reduction in task time is as powerful as an epic artisan on live. So the devs are trying to figure out an equitable way to provide an artisan swap/exchange that is not overpowered with the new system, since an epic to epic artisan exchange is completely out of balance.

2. The recipes are not complete yet. Currently on test, there are level 70 rings and necklaces that are item level 400 with one slot. They show to be BoP, but I believe the Devs have said they are not supposed to be. Currently there is no way of seeing how the stats change when the item becomes high quality.
  • Options
    onodrain said:

1. In the new system, everyone gets 2 gatherers plus 2 other artisans in the profession of their choice as part of the initial workship quest line. In the new system, a normal artisan with 50% reduction in task time is as powerful as an epic artisan on live. So the devs are trying to figure out an equitable way to provide an artisan swap/exchange that is not overpowered with the new system, since an epic to epic artisan exchange is completely out of balance.

To further expand on this and clarify this a little for @forcemajeure, Leadership/Gathering is not one of the professions you can choose to start working on in the new system. You will choose one of the others and it is assumed you will be using Gathering. So you will always get two adventurers/gatherers and two for the profession you chose. You cannot get four adventurers/gatherers from the tutorial quest.
  • Options
    forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Awesome, thank you @onodrain and @nunya for the quick answers! Which leads to the next question... suppose you are a mad crafter, shuffling around your combination forge/furnace/smelter/crucible/foot-warmer, cackling because you have managed to achieve highest level in six, yes six, different professions.

I assume in that case, new system says: you get the same 2 artisans 'profession of your choice', 2 gatherers, and simply set to max level in all 6 professions (plus gathering, if you skipped leadership)? In essence, the same (other than the levels) as someone who only levelled 1 profession?

In which case I can see why they would need some sort of artisan exchange process.
  • Options
    @forcemajeure That is correct. I have all professions at max level on 8 of my characters and they will each get free artisans for one profession only.
  • Options
    tanais58cranetanais58crane Member Posts: 111 Arc User

I've to say that I look forward to these changes, I took a look in preview, and it almost made me sad that I've everything ranked up to Masterworks III-V and won't get to level up anything in the new system.

It really takes a clearly dated and tedious system and brings it to life in an engaging way that, so far, looks really worth exploring.

So kudos on your hard work, I look forward to fully (Excluding levelling it up, which I won't be able to) exploring the new professions system when it arrives on live.

Another "Console player asking what might be obvious to PC players..."

With this new system, does a new route to Mastercrafting exist?
    Or is it still, a case of "Complete the quest Join Guild Thats Done the Hard Work for You".
    I ask as a GH8 Guild Leader, and also on behalf of people who dont even want to join a guild.

And if the answer is, "You could always join a high level guild, get the quests then leave." my reply would be...

"Then what's the HAMSTERING point of locking it behind a Guild wall in the first place?"

Perhaps it is meant to encourage and reward those that have put the effort into levelling their Guild.

Do mind, I think the quests should be available to alliance members as well, as I know full well how difficult it can be for small to medium sized guilds to grow by themselves.

However, Masterworks is practically the only guild-related content with any bearing in the current state of the game outside of Boons.

We really need a few updates to Guild content, and a rework to Marauders, by the seven hells, the vouchers are virtually completely worthless which makes doing more than five waves pointless, it is only good to gather 600 weekly influence.
    There are a hundred and one things that could be done to improve Guilds, and speaking as someone who has a rank 4 stable further rewards "outside of Boons" is quite laughable.

But I get that those who did put in the hard graft to get to GH 20 earned their rewards
    Its just one more reason for new players to see no benefit from joining a smaller guild thereby really depriving those newer guilds of the most desperate resource out there when it comes to playing catch up, namely Players.

I'd really hoped that a Professions overhaul was going to recognise the difficulty smaller, newer guilds have in reaching the dizzy height of double figures, with lots of sexy new ways to forage, hunt, or craft guild resources beyond the Leadership crates and equipment boxes previously available.

Looks more and more like the majority of the design brief was, "Make Gold a viable third currency".
    Damn you and your hamster, you just gave me quite the terrific idea that Cryptic would never implement.

With the increased importance of artisans in the new system, and the ability to actually see them as more than 2D icons hidden away in a tab of a pouch, they have the opportunity of making an aspect of professions actually story driven.

For example, imagine community-sponsored artisans, extremely rare artisans with particular quirks, as written by members of the community, with small story-lines that progress as you level them up.

Proper characterization of the artisans beyond "Sit here, work on that", has the possibility of through small, simple adjustments, along with well chosen quests and cleverly picked quirks, make the players end emotionally invested in their artisans, something which would had been unimaginable in the current system.

"What is it, faceless, nameless Grandmaster Alchemist Nº23? You don't feel like crafting unified elements this week? Well, isn't that a pity. - Assigns. - "

But alas, I highly doubt such degree of story-driven gameplay could interest Cryptic.

It is not like this is a session of Dungeons & Dragons.
    Anything that improves character development and "buy in" is manna from heaven as far as I'm concerned.
    (D&D veteran of over 35 years...)

I think there is an even better way, but we're talking a whole Mod's worth of development that I'm not sure everyone would buy into, particularly those who shun Guilds.

Wait for it...

"Factions"

Allow players, or Guild, or Alliances or all three to join and work for a Faction.

These already exist in number within the game.
    Each could have its own sub campaign and weekly/monthly targets and Rewards.

Membership could be an AD sink and Requirements could be something similar to a combination of Guild donations and the WoD weekly hoard. Rewards could be all sorts of things from Guild Vouchers, Gold, rAD, and even campaign currency toward boons and items.

My SW for instance would love to join the Zhentarim... my HR pines to be a Harper... my CW will shave his head and buy a season return ticket to Thay for that Red Robe (but don't tell anyone I told you that..)

All of these could be tied to contributions of stuff you might not otherwise bother to craft.
    "Lords Alliance needs to arm its new recruits with L25 weapons and armour"
    "The Purple Dragons need a load of low level healing potions"
    "Neverember needs some special pants to accommodate that stick up his..."
    you get the idea.

I could go on for days about the various faction related quests, mini missions and instances that could even update to accommodate and compliment new Mods as they drop.

But it would be great for character immersion, and give people an extra reason to craft and forage for all those recipes that are likely to see no action when the player hits 70 on the Profession of their choice.
    While the possibility of factions is definitely an avenue worth exploring with a huge amount of possibilities, I was thinking of a more.. low effort, high impact kind of addition.

That said, if they implement factions at some point, and your Control Wizard goes to Thay, can he fetch me a bone from that city of skeletons? My mount keeps chewing on my leg.

@nunya I didn't see Stronghold contributions after the recent patch. Did a general search for "crate" and scanned each profession (mine are 70, some up to MW3) but didn't see anything specific to Guilds. So I assume they are not included yet.

What I DO NOT want to hear is "Well, you can contribute crafted gear as Surplus Equipment". The Guild Mark payback won't be worth the gold spent. Better to contribute the gold directly.

Still, Guilds need more than just gold to advance. On Live we can craft Labor, Gems, Gold, Equipment and Astral Diamond crates for free. I do hope they will still be there and won't cost more than a few copper when the update hits Live. Or, better yet, when the artisan finds out it's for your guild, forego the commission :)

Thank you for taking a look and confirming that I wasn't missing something. I'm also hopeful that crafting this stuff for the guild will be very cheap. Fortunately, Labor will be the only craftable thing my guild will really be short on for a while. By the time this update hits live, between my and my wife's characters, we will have banked over 7k gold, 800k surplus equipment, 600k gems, and 5k AD - and our coffer for all these things will be full, as well. I'm expecting to have about 220k labor in the coffer, but it will not be full because I'm using it to invite the Recruiter to our guild for Influence. So I may be able to take a bit of a "professions holiday" once this does hit live and just have our 17 characters focus on generating Labor. :D

@tanais58crane Thank you for your willingness to check. You can reveal the hidden recipes by clicking the gear icon at the bottom of the crafting window, and making sure the first setting is unchecked. I forget what the label is for that setting. This setting also exists for the gathering window and the steps to change it are the same.
    If you are too short on labour, I have to spare, just say if you want a hand @nunya#5309.

Masterworks, as far as I've seen, will still be gated behind high-cost high-failure quests just as they are now.
    The stars are falling, and the old gods silent as death, with the blood sworn to rip you down from the night sky, what cost will pose too high?