test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

M15: Oathbound Paladin Class Changes

Comments

• gatorusmcgatorusmc Member Posts: 17 Arc User

But still make this skill useless so maybe new module could be a good opportunity to change a mechanic of this skill. Sadly some of OP (not all thankfully) still use it playing in grupe and it's annoying when mobs starting flying everywhere...

There are plenty of other useful skills to slot in its place... Their limited resources should be focused on broken skills.

I for one find it satisfying to send the mobs flying (in solo play) when it's generally vice versa. It's not like they go far, don't return fast and we don't have a closer.

• leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    1 Can you remove Banishment? the only reason i see it being usefull is to try to bug bosses or troll teammates by making crutial mobs immune to damage, same goes for Imprisonment.
    2 Can shielding strike change be followed by fixing reflect bugs we have with our tab so palladins dont get instagibed in PVP.
    3 Can we have some aura changes : i would like Aura of Solitude be moved to be usable by lower level paladins to help them play early. Aura of Valor and Aura of Radiance fill the same role exept AoR at least deals damage. Aura of Wrath,Aura of Divinity,Aura of Restoration,Aura of Valor and Aura of Life are almost useless, i would really like to see them changed/buffed/reworked to have something for at least niche situations.
    I like the changes we have so far.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    leonidrex said:

1 Can you remove Banishment? the only reason i see it being usefull is to try to bug bosses or troll teammates by making crutial mobs immune to damage, same goes for Imprisonment.

I'd slot it if allowed you to damage the mobs held and visually gave you an idea of the area of effect. Might make the initial climb up the hill in FBI a little bit easier. As it stands now they might as well get rid of it and give us something else.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
    scarabman said:

I've actually found Banishment to be a useful tool to cut down the difficulty of trash pulls in dungeons when in a weak group. As a tank or, I suppose, a healer could do this too, if you position it well, you can successfully eliminate a number of threats and help your team focus on burning down the same targets.

Fair enough, though when I'm the heals I'm usually slotting something else in the third encounter slot (buffs/damage) depending on the dungeon and group composition. My biggest gripe is that visually I don't get a really good idea of the AoE it hits. Plus, a lot of parties want to kill things quickly. At least with CWs you can still damage the trash you've trapped in the ice.
    ~Shia~

Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • bullrathbullrath Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    leonidrex said:

2 Can shielding strike change be followed by fixing reflect bugs we have with our tab so palladins dont get instagibed in PVP.
    3 Can we have some aura changes : i would like Aura of Solitude be moved to be usable by lower level paladins to help them play early. Aura of Valor and Aura of Radiance fill the same role exept AoR at least deals damage. Aura of Wrath,Aura of Divinity,Aura of Restoration,Aura of Valor and Aura of Life are almost useless, i would really like to see them changed/buffed/reworked to have something for at least niche situations.
    I like the changes we have so far.

yea i agree would defintely look into mabey reworking banishment forgot it existed to be honest until i read your post lol :)
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    scarabman said:

I've actually found Banishment to be a useful tool to cut down the difficulty of trash pulls in dungeons when in a weak group. As a tank or, I suppose, a healer could do this too, if you position it well, you can successfully eliminate a number of threats and help your team focus on burning down the same targets.

Your feedback is appreciated, and I'd agree that this is what Banishment's ideal use would be, but this is too extremely niche an application in a game where your encounter slots are limited to 3.

I'd argue that it's something of a design flaw that the ability becomes more useless the stronger and more experienced the players become, and we're starting with a very low bar for "usefulness" in this case.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    I still don't understand why there isn't Turn Undead. If Neverwinter is based on Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Turn Undead is literally the Paladin's signature move and arguably the most useful.
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • scarabmanscarabman Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 29 Cryptic Developer

I still don't understand why there isn't Turn Undead. If Neverwinter is based on Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, Turn Undead is literally the Paladin's signature move and arguably the most useful.

Neverwinter was originally based on D&D 4th edition. I know Turn Undead existed there but the game isn't based on or a continuation of Neverwinter Nights.
  • fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @anomalea said:
    > One of the biggest issues I have with the (Prot) OP is targetting. Specifically, if anything gets between the OP and their target - allies, pets, npcs, other things (because sometimes I have no idea why I can't target that freaking boss) etc., Bane and Relentless Avenger will not target the enemy. There've been some fights where it feels like I've done nothing because none of my powers would go off. It makes controlling a fight difficult and feels like it puts me at the mercy of the dps, having to run wherever they're holding the boss and get in behind it. Is there any way to fix this?

This right here, trying to get bane to go off on the Sisters and sometimes Ras Nsi can be a nightmare!
  • fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @demolitioninc#2453 said:
    > For PvP pallies - most of my powers I use in PvP can not be interrupted anymore. That is a huge improvement. Also activating divine call while being in sanctuary actually gives me goose bumps.
    >
    > Not to forget the 14% overall damage increase.

OPs are already pretty much unkillable in pvp...people should be scurred lol
  • theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    scarabman said:

Neverwinter was originally based on D&D 4th edition. I know Turn Undead existed there but the game isn't based on or a continuation of Neverwinter Nights.
    Ugh, terrible to see a Cryptic developer spout this "based on D&D 4th edition" meme.

Neverwinter is not now, and has never been, based on 4th edition aside from some stylistic similarities in naming conventions. I only get frustrated, because whenever I bring up that 4E-the so called too "video gamey" edition of Dungeons and Dragons-was the only edition (other than the current edition 4E) to not have a dedicated faithful CRPG (think Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights) people always like to point to Neverwinter.

But Neverwinter is not 4th edition. Please stop helping to spread this wildly misleading line of thought.

• kiraskytowerkiraskytower Member Posts: 455 Arc User

scarabman said:

Ugh, terrible to see a Cryptic developer spout this "based on D&D 4th edition" meme.

Neverwinter is not now, and has never been, based on 4th edition aside from some stylistic similarities in naming conventions. I only get frustrated, because whenever I bring up that 4E-the so called too "video gamey" edition of Dungeons and Dragons-was the only edition (other than the current edition 4E) to not have a dedicated faithful CRPG (think Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights) people always like to point to Neverwinter.

But Neverwinter is not 4th edition. Please stop helping to spread this wildly misleading line of thought.

Unfortunately the Dev is 100% correct. It is BASED ON 4th edition D&D .... but rather loosely. The game rules and mechanics which we consider part of D&D 4th Edition pretty much all went out the window to make the computer version we call Neverwinter. However, it does draw it's classes, history and such off the 4th Edition D&D Rules and Forgotten realms setting.

Also keep in mind that they are contractually bound to attempt to replicate 4th Edition D&D. So if Wizards of the Coast says "No paladin Turning" in 4th Edition, then Cryptic has to follow that.
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Winter Lily (CW) / Winter Rose (DC) / Winter Ivy (HR)
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    Fifth edition PnP came out sometime around Mod 4 for this this game. Oathbound Paladin was released in mod 6 which tied into the Princes of the Apocalypse sourcebook for 5th edition. I don't know much about 4th, but oth chronologically and thematically, OP is a 5th edition class.

This game isn't tied to 4th Edition, it follows whatever WotC is doing, with a bit of variance as necessary for the computer game and the scope of a module. Some elements from 5th edition Forgotten Realms haven't made it over, like Blacklake (now Bluelake) being cleaned up and the Chasm being magically sealed. It would be hard to imagine entire questlines being nukes like that, for instance.

Otherwise, Turn Undead has been a Paladin and Cleric ability since the earliest days of DnD. However, as has been pointed out, it is unrealistic to expect that damage types and related effects are going to be added. If we had Turn Undead, it becomes either overpowered or useless.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • scarabmanscarabman Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 29 Cryptic Developer
    pitshade said:

Fifth edition PnP came out sometime around Mod 4 for this this game. Oathbound Paladin was released in mod 6 which tied into the Princes of the Apocalypse sourcebook for 5th edition. I don't know much about 4th, but oth chronologically and thematically, OP is a 5th edition class.

This game isn't tied to 4th Edition, it follows whatever WotC is doing, with a bit of variance as necessary for the computer game and the scope of a module. Some elements from 5th edition Forgotten Realms haven't made it over, like Blacklake (now Bluelake) being cleaned up and the Chasm being magically sealed. It would be hard to imagine entire questlines being nukes like that, for instance.

Otherwise, Turn Undead has been a Paladin and Cleric ability since the earliest days of DnD. However, as has been pointed out, it is unrealistic to expect that damage types and related effects are going to be added. If we had Turn Undead, it becomes either overpowered or useless.

This is also correct. The original classes were tied to 4th edition paradigms but we now draw parallels with 5th edition, where possible. The point I was trying to make was not that we faithfully replicated 4th or 5th edition PnP, which would have resulted in a drastically different game, but that this is not a continuation of the Neverwinter Nights series.
  • lordtweety#3604 lordtweety Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    scarabman said:

... this is not a continuation of the Neverwinter Nights series.

I realised this shortly after playing, however, it was my fondness for the NWN series that drew me to Neverwinter. I think the campaign settings have been pretty damn good considering 4th ED sucked imho.

My issue has never been the campaign settings, the balancing and general imbalance between classes, the power creep (read that as multiplicative buffs) and the bugs in end game content is what I have issue with.
    Main: Angels Scar
    Guild: Ruathym Corsairs
  • mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    scarabman said:

NWO started off using 4e and my understanding is that with 5e NWO is suppose to update the game to the 5e rules. If that is the case, when will it all be said and done with updating to 5e?
    am I the only person concerned with animations being shortened, making us OP deal too much dmg?
    usually average dps deals 4-5 my dmg.With those buffs i might get my dmg increased by 30-40% overall.
    did some testing on prev and it appears that the bosses took me around 15-20% less time, and im not used to new animation cancels just yet. Just something to keep an eye out.
    For example during orcus fight, most of the time i spend applying bane,radiant strike,CoP using tab and SW so i bearly even have time to actually swing with all the buffs up, with the changeds i noticed that i have way more windows to actually smack many atwills,DJ and i can recast SW way often. Im not even taking into account the "14%" dmg increase
  • anoreksjaanoreksja Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I am afraid that proposed changes related to the class balanced will not improve the weak OP position in PvP duels:

Btw. In my opinion, the "Bane" ability should not occupy the Encounter slots because OP has too few possibilities to perform an effective attack or defense e.g. in case of PvP. Unfortunately, I have no idea how this problem can be solved. Maybe it would be a good idea to add "Bane" to at-will attacks "Oath Strike" & "Shielding Strike" at some frequency or add a new at-will skill which generates "Bane" powers?

After activation Divine Call OP should get additionally bonuses increased movement speed for ~ 10 seconds.
    Post edited by anoreksja on
    i mean we are bad in pvp and we gonna be bad in pvp, in 1v1 we can kinda survive but not deal damage or deal some dmg and die very fast, in teamfights we are one of the easy targets, shield is HAMSTER and other classes can dodge, so we just get debuffed to all hell and 1shot, no matter how tanky we get. So the real way we can be usefull is by going devo, and following the most broken person we have on our team ( GF/HR archer/BIS GWF/TR ) and just keep them alive and buff/debuff for them.
    I talked about these changes with other paladins in the game,
    and each player was of the same opinion as me. Summary:

- Divine Call
    Additionally, when activating this action need increased character movement speed
    e.g. this effect lasts for +/- 5 seconds, may only happen once every 10 seconds.

- Bane
    Please transfer this skill to At-Will that it does not to take Encounter slots.

- Relentless Avenger
    Need to important change for action this skill to a knockdown or a stun for say 4-5 sec,
    instead crazy knockback all other foes. "Sadly some of OP (not all thankfully) still use
    it playing in grupe and it's annoying when mobs starting flying everywhere."

Thanks
    Honeslty and hear me out on this one, all we need is a source of combat advantage, we dont have stat that increases our dmg, only ca. Mb get ca against target with vow? mb ca against target with 3 stacks of bane? but it could in theory be too much of a 1v1 dmg buff, but i would really like for someone to test it.
    anoreksja said:

I talked about these changes with other paladins in the game,
    and each player was of the same opinion as me. Summary:

- Divine Call
    Additionally, when activating this action need increased character movement speed
    e.g. this effect lasts for +/- 5 seconds, may only happen once every 10 seconds.

- Bane

- Relentless Avenger
    Need to important change for action this skill to a knockdown or a stun for say 4-5 sec,
    instead crazy knockback all other foes. "Sadly some of OP (not all thankfully) still use
    it playing in grupe and it's annoying when mobs starting flying everywhere."

Thanks

Umm... With all due respect, I don't think we are ALL in complete agreement on this list of proposed changes. The proposed change to RA seems fine. Don't care either way as you simply proposing a change to the effect. However, with respect to the others you haven't done so and those look like add-ons and/or complete changes. WRT Divine Call what would you be willing to give up to 'balance' this mechanic for the additional movement speed? It's taunt range and/or DR increase for Prot OPs or It's heal and heal amount for Devo Ops? Would you be willing to see that reduced by 5% and 15% respectively FOR that additional movement. I doubt the devs would just ADD that to the power without adjusting some other aspect of it. What would those who like this idea be willing to sacrifice if it came to that?

Changing Bane from an encounter to an at-will? Even if the devs entertained the idea that seems like a pretty powerful at-will in terms of its debuff (buff) potential but what would be its usefulness be if the three target (or single target/three stack cap) remains? Are you're suggesting that the devs merge its functionality with existing at-wills, if so then which at-wills and again, what would you sacrifice from those at-wills you change. If you're not talking about merging it with another at-will, the classes tend to have four at-wills to choose from - Three general ones and one specific to the paragon. Which at-will would you propose the devs replace to make that happen? VS maybe? That will go over really well when leveling before OS becomes available. OS perhaps? Now you've gimped the Devo pallies hard with that choice. Can't do SS and CW since those are tied to paragons so what would you do? Bottom line - I don't think this change would go the way you envision it would and it should probably be left alone in favor of proposals which make adjustments to little used auras like Valor or encounter powers like Banishment than to change something that's working. My two coppers.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    anoreksja said:

- Bane

You want to take a buff/debuff encounter and move it over to an at-will that can be spammed nonstop? Because?

I noticed your comments mentioned PVP so just trying to see what you're trying to achieve here. Other than taking one of the OPs best buff/debuff encounters and making it available nonstop so you can slot another attack encounter. Maybe just don't slot bane in PVP.

Or am I missing your point here?
    edited October 2018
    Sorry, I forgot to add that the proposed by me changes concern only Oath of Protection path. I am not interested in the aspect Oath of Devotion. Currently Paladin is far behind compared to other classes and I'm not thinking only about the PvP area. Of course "Bane" could be transferred in unchanged form as a new, separate At-Will power, without related with skills type "Shielding Strike" etc.
    Without additional movement acceleration for example using Divine Call, OP no chance get close to CW, GWF, GF, SW, HR in PvP.
    Post edited by anoreksja on
    anoreksja said:

Sorry, I forgot to add that the proposed by me changes concern only Oath of Protection path. I am not interested in the aspect Oath of Devotion. Currently Paladin is far behind compared to other classes and I'm not thinking only about the PvP area. Of course "Bane" could be transferred in unchanged form as a new, separate At-Will power, without related with skills type "Shielding Strike" etc.
    Without additional movement acceleration for example using Divine Call, OP no chance get close to CW, GWF, GF, SW, HR in PvP.

I doesn't really change the point I was trying to make with both Bane and Divine Call. You would still be asking to turn a debuff/buff encounter into an at-will, one that is used by BOTH paragon paths, and into turning it into a separate at-will. Now even IF it was seriously considered, what good would it serve if you still have the three stack cap? The devs adding movement boost to a Prot's DC is fine but what would you give up to balance it out. I tend to avoid PvP in this game, but I suspect the minute its used successfully, there will howls from other players to nerf either it or some other aspect of the pally's damage or survivability. Which, in the past, tends to impact PvE as well.

And how 'exactly' are the paladins 'far behind' the other classes, as you put it, with the exception of overall damage? Are you referring to PvP when you make that statement because I strongly suspect that's NOT the case for PvE.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac