test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

M15: Oathbound Paladin Class Changes

balanced#2849 balanced Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 41 Cryptic Developer
Hey there Oathbound Paladins,

Paladin has always had some issues with their animations and general attack flow, but we’ve finally gotten it into a place that feels really fluid. A handful of attacks have been adjusted so that they complete their animation faster, chain into other powers faster, and don’t get interrupted by other powers you are trying to use.

We have also increased the base damage of their powers by roughly 14% in an attempt to get their solo gameplay to feel a bit more engaging. We found that a lot of Paladins were killing things very slowly, and while this won’t get them all the way there – it is a good boost. Note that this is in addition to animation times being more smooth, so you will likely see a boost even higher than this.

There are some changes to the Devotion paladin passive aura. We felt that their healing was very high and wanted to tune it down a bit, as we don’t think it will really cripple their effectiveness. In turn, we wanted to make sure that their buff is applied whenever you heal an ally instead of encouraging allies to take some kind of damage just to be buffed.

The final things that have been changed are in relation to the feat trees. These changes are mostly minor tuning and quality of life adjustments, but we wanted to experiment with the Bulwark tree a bit. Head Unbowed and Holy Barrier have been reworked and are now much more powerful. If you’re looking for a cooldown / damage build, Justice will still be your go-to tree but the Bulwark build should feel a bit fresh and a bit different.

Baseline

• All damage increased by ~14%
  • Divine Call: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Divine Call: Can now be activated while blocking
  • Sacred Weapon: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Sacred Weapon: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Templar's Wrath: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Bane: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Bane: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Cleansing Touch: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Cleansing Touch: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Banishment: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Vow of Enmity: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Vow of Enmity: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Absolution: Activation time massively reduced
  • Absolution: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Relentless Avenger: Activation time slightly increased
  • Relentless Avenger: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Circle of Power: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Radiant Strike: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Valorous Strike: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Lay on Hands: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Shield of Faith: Now has priority in being cast, will not be interrupted by other powers
  • Divine Judgement: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Heroism: Activation time slightly reduced
  • Oath of Devotion: Your healing is increased by 75% (down from 100%)
  • Oath of Devotion: Now increases allies stats for 10 seconds (up from 8 seconds)
  • Oath of Devotion: No longer requires you to actually restore HP on the target

At-wills:

• Shielding Strike: The third hit of this combo now grants the Paladin a shield equal to 3% of their maximum hit points. (Previously granted an absorption buff that absorbed damage equal to 1% of your maximum hit points on each attack).

Encounters:

• Sacred Weapon: Fixed an issue where this power would not correctly expire after 3 attacks for Devotion Paladins
  • Sacred Weapon: Damage lowered by ~17%
  • Sacred Weapon: Healing increased to 20% (up from 15%)
  • Sacred Weapon: Bonus healing duration increased to 10 seconds (up from 8)

Class Feats:

• Aura of Solitude: Dominating Presence no longer increases the range of this Aura
  • Aura of Solitude: No longer considers companions as "allies."

Feats:

Justice:

• Shining Beacon: Duration reduced to 10 seconds (down from 15)
  • Shining Beacon: Now states that your Recharge Speed is increased by 3/6/9/12/15% (functionality unchanged)
  • Shining Beacon: No longer has a cooldown of 60 seconds
  • Shining Beacon: No longer has floater text appear when applied
  • Shining Beacon: Now triggers whenever you take damage while below 50% hit points
  • Stem the Tide: No longer considers a Companion as an Ally for this feat
  • Stem the Tide: Slow reduced to 4/8/12/16/20% (down from 5/10/15/20/25%)
  • Stem the Tide: Damage taken increased to 2/4/6/8/10% (up from 1/2/3/4/5%)
  • Stem the Tide: This power should no longer put the player in a Combat stance
  • Radiant Champion: Movement Speed reduced to 4/8/12/16/20% (down from 5/10/15/20/25%)
  • Radiant Champion: Cooldown Reduction increased to 2/4/6/8/10% (up from 1/2/3/4/5%)

Bulwark:

• Head Unbowed (Reworked): You now generate 2/4/6/8/10% of your Divine Energy bar each second
  • Holy Barrier: While in combat, you build stacks of Barrier every second and by using your powers. Activating Divine Call will consume all stacks of Barrier to grant you a shield for 10% (+0.5% per stack) of your max hit points for 15 seconds. While the shield holds, you are granted 20% movement speed, critical strike chance, Deflect chance, incoming healing, and Recharge Speed. Barrier may stack up to 100 times.
Post edited by frozenfirevr on

Comments

• rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    No feat changes in the light tree?
  • valynstarfirevalynstarfire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 100 Arc User
    Patience Rickcase, there might be more pages coming (still being written)
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    I know, as bulwark is only about half. Plus only my devo uses the light tree anyway.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Hmmm....I'm liking some of these changes to class overall and the devotion path in particular but need to wait and see if I'm sold. The Aura of Solitude boost and changes to where it doesn't consider companions allies are a welcome change. Will need to get in a test to see how if the nerf to healing impacts primal weapon procs. I don't think it will but not certain. I wish they'd make some changes to other auras like Restoration and Divinity which are beyond useless. Also, I've reconsidered my opinion on the knockback for RA. Please consider reducing the distance thrown or knocking the targets prone. It's detrimental to party play outside of boss fights if used otherwise. Finally, does the oath of devotion mechanic's buff have an ICD?
    Post edited by majorcharvenak on
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    The damage increase, reduced animation times, and Aura of Solitude not counting companions makes running my OP alt through mods 10+ sound MUCH more appealing. I was thinking about raising that one as my next project, if I ever got the motivation to slog through it. Interesting.
  • ariandel#8350 ariandel Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    anomalea said:

One of the biggest issues I have with the (Prot) OP is targetting. Specifically, if anything gets between the OP and their target - allies, pets, npcs, other things (because sometimes I have no idea why I can't target that freaking boss) etc., Bane and Relentless Avenger will not target the enemy. There've been some fights where it feels like I've done nothing because none of my powers would go off. It makes controlling a fight difficult and feels like it puts me at the mercy of the dps, having to run wherever they're holding the boss and get in behind it. Is there any way to fix this?

As anomalea commented, I have trouble casting bane as a prot OP because my teammates and pets are hugging the boss from all directions. Aslo for console Devo OPs casting bane is a pain. Whenever I want to cast it on the boss, I end up casting it on pets or teammates by accident. I'd love if some kind of targeting mechanic for powers such as pain is added. For example, before I use bane I should have a lock on mechanic that I can switch between the boss and one of my teammates to apply bane easily.

Other than that, I appreciate all the changes here,
    especially the animation time reduction which is much needed.
  • demolitioninc#2453 demolitioninc Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    For PvP pallies - most of my powers I use in PvP can not be interrupted anymore. That is a huge improvement. Also activating divine call while being in sanctuary actually gives me goose bumps.

Not to forget the 14% overall damage increase.
    1. PzkwVI_Kingtiger - GWF
    2. PMS-Extreme - Moffus Debuffos
    3. Tiamat's Toyboy - OP
    4. Rent-A-DC - 1 GMOP per 30 minutes
    5. Officer at Civil Anarchy, Member of Fabled Alliance
  • cloud1323#7124 cloud1323 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    If your looking into bulwark path could you address examplar of the light feat. With weapon damage over 2k the 1500% modifiers should add a shield in the well over a million but in actual fact it adds maybe 5-10k making it completely useless when on paper it should be epic
  • leonidrexleonidrex Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    My feedback so far, i like animation changes, but will i be able to animation cancel? we will see. SW change, its my fav encounter, becouse of that i will drop around 10% dmg in dungeons, and no idea how much in pvp, but the 14% more dmg takes care of that and it was a bug so its a + in my book. Shielding Strike removes prot op from pvp compleatly, making him unplayable, now its only healbot devo with manticore mane.
    all in all good changes, becouse pvp doesnt matter anyways and its usefull for new players for solo and smoothing playstyles
  • rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    I'm confused by the change to sacred weapon....

First, you say: "All damage increased by ~14%"

Then you say: "Sacred Weapon: Damage lowered by ~17%"

Are you saying All damage is increased by 14% *except* Sacred Weapon, which had it's damage decreased by 17%? Or are you saying that All damage is increased by 14%, however, Sacred Weapon had it's damage decreased by 17% after the 14% damage buff to all powers?

I guess what I am asking is if damage for all powers was increased by 14% (which is a *good thing*), and Sacred Weapon had a net damage nerf of 3% after these changes (which is a *not-so-good thing*)....
    on live server, 33 968 max dmg, 5 times for [ 169 840 ]
    on prev 47 768 max dmg, 3 times for [ 143 304 ]
    143 304/169 840 ~~ 0,84375.....
    for a total of 15,7% dmg loss. im fine with that, it was bugged, buggs need to be fixed.
    i wonder if smite is going to be better then SW now ;p
  • Like the changes except sw I understand because we would wind up hitting like mini dps gfs lol. Also I'd like to see burning light beIN a casting movable encounter. You'd hit the button it charges while your moving the it goes off. Looks like vow and smite well 'll where its at for big hits now.
  • sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    killing slowly is what we do lol, like watching paint dry. This should help for sure.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • Sundance I agree lol however my div. Judgement double stacked with sw and all my buffs at the same I hit a 22mil dj before lol in a codg. On bosses with a team that ain't squishes I run vow sw and tw. I'm going to be jiggin on the 14% dmg bonus considenering I have 65k power with my comp out and no buffs
  • On a very rough estimate that I was avergerage 450mil dmg per cr run that bump my dmg output by 50mil I'd say ops are getting a lota love. Can't wait as I play on Xbox one. Oh I currently not banned with all my ad and rad haha lol
  • hypergorila2hypergorila2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Changes look good so far, the overall damage increase and sacred weapon damage decrease makes the class easier to play and less dependent of sacred weapon for large bursts of damage.

Please consider a cast time reduction for burning light as it does very little damage even if fully charged :3 and/or like @thepotatoeheads#3211 making it castable while moving.

Cheers

Changes look good so far, the overall damage increase and sacred weapon damage decrease makes the class easier to play and less dependent of sacred weapon for large bursts of damage.

Please consider a cast time reduction for burning light as it does very little damage even if fully charged :3 and/or like @thepotatoeheads#3211 making it castable while moving.

Cheers

paladins use burning light becouse each tick procs Aura of Courage.
    its our strongest AoE encounter.

Since companions are no longer considered "allies" do they still benefit from Aura Gifts?

Also, do NPCs count as allies; will they break Stem the Tide?

What about other players (not on your team, but within a 30' radius) in the same instance; historically, they've made Stem the Tide useless...is that still the case?

TIA
  • draugkirdraugkir Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Nerfing sw removes one of the few ways a Paladin could do some decent dmg.

14% boosting of nada is nada..

With shielding strike beeing nerfed too.. and devos aswel...

Thanks for nothing devs. Mod 15 should be called "Art of Nerfing" instead of "Heart of fire".
  • jslegge1901jslegge1901 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    I really appreciate the changes to the OP thank you guys so much. One thing I have always had an issue with is the amount of temp hp you give allies with templars wrath (devotion) would it be possible to review this ability and possibly increase the temp hp it gives? Last I looked it was about 4k which is not a whole lot. Thanks.
  • jeremytheman232jeremytheman232 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Very excited to see these changes as i play a psop and solo most content. Glad to see i will be able to bane and not be blocked. The only current workaround is to aim very high over ur teams heads and pray it locks the enemy
    draugkir said:

Nerfing sw removes one of the few ways a Paladin could do some decent dmg.

14% boosting of nada is nada..

With shielding strike beeing nerfed too.. and devos aswel...

Thanks for nothing devs. Mod 15 should be called "Art of Nerfing" instead of "Heart of fire".

Don't worry; it still hits like a truck.....
  • kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User

anomalea said:

One of the biggest issues I have with the (Prot) OP is targetting. Specifically, if anything gets between the OP and their target - allies, pets, npcs, other things (because sometimes I have no idea why I can't target that freaking boss) etc., Bane and Relentless Avenger will not target the enemy. There've been some fights where it feels like I've done nothing because none of my powers would go off. It makes controlling a fight difficult and feels like it puts me at the mercy of the dps, having to run wherever they're holding the boss and get in behind it. Is there any way to fix this?

As anomalea commented, I have trouble casting bane as a prot OP because my teammates and pets are hugging the boss from all directions. Aslo for console Devo OPs casting bane is a pain. Whenever I want to cast it on the boss, I end up casting it on pets or teammates by accident. I'd love if some kind of targeting mechanic for powers such as pain is added. For example, before I use bane I should have a lock on mechanic that I can switch between the boss and one of my teammates to apply bane easily.

Other than that, I appreciate all the changes here,
    especially the animation time reduction which is much needed.
    Create a custom bind for toggling target lock, it makes playing a DC and Tank very easy. As a DO/DC its even more comical as when you clear trash in lairs with Hammer of fate/PoD or with your sigil of devoted going, your hammer will autofire on everything around you as each hammer kills something as the target lock snaps like an aimbot.
  • anoreksjaanoreksja Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Could this "Relentless Avenger" encounter skill only knocking down all other foes instead reject around all other foes? During the dungeon trips, it irritates other players from party. Thanks.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    anoreksja said:

Could this "Relentless Avenger" encounter skill only knocking down all other foes instead reject around all other foes? During the dungeon trips, it irritates other players from party. Thanks.

Not even sure I understand your comment. Personally I never use this power in party, its a good solo power and I like how it works as is.
  • pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    I like the buff to soloing, OP's have needed this to finish content for a LONG time and it does not unbalance anyone else as they do their own solo content.

Radiant Champion: Movement Speed reduced to 4/8/12/16/20% (down from 5/10/15/20/25%)

Not sure why this needed a nerf, just how did this unbalance anything? I know you can have more than one OP in a group and you can get faster and.... so what? You give up a lot of DSP to have a OP in the group anyway. But they buffed recharge so at least a trade off.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    The animation on preview is faster for the at wills but still a little slow on some of the encounters like BL. Faster than on live but not by much. The real beauty was Bane! Its sweet! <3 Almost casts like it did before they slowed down the animation in mod 10. Targeted it on the dummies so not sure how painful it will be on an active target like other players or allies. Also planning on looking at the potential double heal spam that is Divine call while under Sanctuary. Animation works, just not sure of the heal amount. More love or angst to follow.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac