What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dungeon Key Changes

Comments

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    Dumb.

Even as a negotiating ploy, or a jumping off point in a dialogue, if that's the intent, dumb.

Incidently, if your management teams routinely consist of more than 4 or 5 people at max cryptic, you do realise that policy is actively reducing the collective IQ of those people..?
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    hanniballa#2401 hanniballa Member Posts: 74 Arc User

micky1p00 said:

It's the fact that we HAD to peek because the loot SUCKED.

That's the bottom line.

I completely agree with you. That's much of what I meant by "ensure that players perceive the change as fair." If you take away peaking, you have to massively improve the loot tables.

And yet, there's no word on the loot tables getting fixed any time soon. We've been waiting for tons of fixes, PVP, giving us the old dungeons back, ect. How long do they expect us to wait for this? I've already lost guildies over this HAMSTER.
  • Options
    dheffernandheffernan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 216 Arc User
    zebular said:

Now, on to the those claiming that the "this is a bug" is a lie. It is not. The Moderators were told early on just after Module 3 that being able to open a chest and not take the contents but keep your key was indeed a bug. That the decline button was there for those who did not want the loot, not for those who did not want to consume their key.

I doubt anyone will believe this. I certainly don't.

In any case, once a deliberate decision was made to let it go, the decline functionality was promoted from bug to feature.
    @Venture-1 @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that far back. Yes, *that* Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. For me it was Tuesday.
  • Options
    jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    desisti said:

zebular said:

Now, on to the those claiming that the "this is a bug" is a lie. It is not. The Moderators were told early on just after Module 3 that being able to open a chest and not take the contents but keep your key was indeed a bug. That the decline button was there for those who did not want the loot, not for those who did not want to consume their key. However, as this wasn't something of a real issue and there was a clique of people claiming it was an exploit to look and not take, it was deemed best to remain silent on the issue, lest we fuel a group of player's crusade to name and shame folks for "exploiting." In short, years ago, it was indeed deemed a bug but was not pursued as an exploit.

So, can we now please move on from this whole claim that they are lieing about it being a bug? Such does nothing to add to productive feedback. Thanks!

...there you go...
    [removed inappropriate pic]

After 30 pages of runt you say this... why this information wasn't announced in the first post along with link?
    And, like a loot of people asked, when can we expect winter-fest-scale of bans for the "minority" that exploited this bug... feature... bug?
    Further more, does it mean that all "Decline" buttons will be removed from the game... it only sounds fair.

Thank you in advance for your reply...
    If you read his posts you;d know the answer to this. He responded when he had time to read the thread fully and he also wasn't the one to make the announcement. If this information was lacking from the start it was lacking from the admin who neglected to mention this detail. He answered people's queries as best he could and got flamed for it. Hardly fair.
    Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    kemi1984kemi1984 Member Posts: 849 Arc User
    zebular said:

Now, on to the those claiming that the "this is a bug" is a lie. It is not. The Moderators were told early on just after Module 3 that being able to open a chest and not take the contents but keep your key was indeed a bug. That the decline button was there for those who did not want the loot, not for those who did not want to consume their key. However, as this wasn't something of a real issue and there was a clique of people claiming it was an exploit to look and not take, it was deemed best to remain silent on the issue, lest we fuel a group of player's crusade to name and shame folks for "exploiting." In short, years ago, it was indeed deemed a bug but was not pursued as an exploit.

So, can we now please move on from this whole claim that they are lieing about it being a bug? Such does nothing to add to productive feedback. Thanks!

Mhm...nice try there! none will ever believe in this, so please stop trying.

It's painfully obvious you're trying to say anything just to take the heat from Cryptic. That stand's in opposite from @ironzerg79 wrote just few post above - so yeah...not gonna happen.

We all know you're "not affected by it" are you affected by anything in the game? maybe you're not using WASD so this is something that you're not affected as well?

Seriously, give the players a break and stop posting this nonsense.

Thank you!
    Nancy - Dragonborn, SM Guardian Fighter
    A proud member of "mythical horde of DPS GFs"

1). Is SW more dps or tank based?
    2). Yes. I am panzer!
    3). Get ACT if you want to celebrate your epeen.
    4). Horniness will not stand between me and what I believe - "MM"
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator

zebular said:

Now, on to the those claiming that the "this is a bug" is a lie. It is not. The Moderators were told early on just after Module 3 that being able to open a chest and not take the contents but keep your key was indeed a bug. That the decline button was there for those who did not want the loot, not for those who did not want to consume their key.

I doubt anyone will believe this. I certainly don't.

In any case, once a deliberate decision was made to let it go, the decline functionality was promoted from bug to feature.
    I can understand that reasoning, especially since it was treated as an acceptable bug that was not deterred from use, even encouraged. What ever it was or is, that doesn't change that they're changing things. What we need to focus on is how that change will take effect, what it will mean, and whether or not it will be an acceptable change overall. In short, we need answers on just what this change means for our chest loot.

• Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    Defending the "term" bug is silly. I don't care what anybody has been told back in Mod 3. Two years later this can hardly be called a bug any longer and doing so only defends their sissy way of announcing the change.​​
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    I always use my keys to peek.

And in 95% of the cases I decline the loot.

That should tell you that the loot from the chests is so bad that it generally is not worth the key.

With peek, the current chest system is somewhat balanced. Key are expensive(effort-wise), but since I don't spend them until something useful drops, it is ok.

If you want to take away the peeking, you either need to make all the keys significantly cheaper, or the loot in the chests better, so you restore the balance between key cost and loot quality.

Loot is a big part of the game, so understandably you get your customers in an uproar if you mess with it like this. And let me underscore the word customers.

I still do not see the reason for doing this. Making the customers so mad for so little reason is not too smart.

If you wanted a different loot system from mod 10.5 you could just implement it starting from mod 10.5, no need to mess with the existing system. Having two different types chest should not be a problem, just give them different graphics. That would also give you more elements to play with when designing content going forward.

Best way to fix this: Take a humble one, admit to the customers this was not a smart move, keep current chest system as it is, implement a new type chest for mod 10.5. If little time, use current system for 10.5 until you get around to coding the new chests.
  • Options
    jaysun1977jaysun1977 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User

Those who do not have the +5 rings they want are out of luck with these changes. They allow one UD skirmish and one CN/Edemo per day.

maybe i don't understand or this is sarcasm...

these dungeons can only be qued for once a day, am I miss interrupting this??? Or is this just based off using keys, man i need to hop on preview and see whats what now...
    He is missing the sentence: "..., unless you wish to spend Zen for loot". You didn't miss anything in the game, but with the announced changes to how keys work, he is essentially right.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I wanted to keep up with this thread better but I have been away for the past two days speaking at a market research conference about, of all things, customer loyalty. Here's what I believe to be true:

Was it a bug?

The developers likely thought about it in those terms for a long time.

OK, but was it a bug?

It doesn't matter that they probably honestly categorized it internally as a bug. It has been around so long that players consider it an integral part of the game. It's like common law marriage. When you behave in a certain way for a long time, that behavior becomes a commitment. Long-standing "bugs" that players come to rely on become features. Call them common law features.

Should Cryptic have called it a bug?

HAMSTER no.

Was there a conspiracy about the bug?

No. It apparently was mentioned between @Strumslinger and some moderators in the distant past. I wasn't there, but I seriously doubt that the issue of whether and how it would be fixed came up. These things aren't decided by community managers and especially not by moderators. I find it very improbable (laughable even) that anyone conspired to keep this information secret from the players.

Is this a good change?

Done right, it could be good for the game. It would allow the developers more certainty in designing loot tables. It is their equivalent of the fixed-damage weapons that @thefabricant has been asking for (@panderus it would be very nice to get that in the schedule for 10.5).

Was this change done right?

It was done horribly. My current interpretation is that it was done with an eye toward module 10.5 onward without giving due consideration to all of the existing content. For example, a key that costs AD5000 can yield at best (with 50% salvage bonus and VIP) AD3300 plus a few random RP items. If you make a change with so much impact on players, you must consider the full scope of the impact and ensure that players perceive the change as fair.

Are the players right to be mad?

The customer is always right (at least, a large segment of the customer base speaking with a unified voice).

Why are the players so mad?

The manner in which this change was handled undermines our sense of security and our sense of trust.

Can PWE ignore the anger?

Without security, we will not feel free to spend money on the game. We cannot experience a sense of harmony. We cannot love the game. We will become disloyal and will defect to other games that, at a minimum, provide that sense of security.

Where can we go from here?

As Neo said, "where we go from here is a choice I leave to you." The player's sense of security needs to be restored. That can't be done with a shiny new augment (with the two most "desirable" stats in the game). It can't be done by simply rolling back this change. You do that by consistently listening to your players and showing us that you're listening. Of course, some decisions will be driven by economic considerations. Players won't always get exactly what they want. That's fine. You're in business to make money.

The thing is, you'll make more money if you delight your customers.

Now, if only a single dev would have asked you or anyone else with a brain, before they came up with their HAMSTER idea...
    Post edited by ironzerg79 on
  • Options
    desisti said:

I do not get it how this company is still alive, how this game is still alive...

That one is easy to explain: Sunk Cost Effect

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0749597885900494
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/sunk-cost-effect
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    zebular said:

Woah... really? Just like that? Speechless I am
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options

desisti said:

I do not get it how this company is still alive, how this game is still alive...

We are all suffering from cognitive dissonance it seems
  • Options
    zebular said:

To @ambisinisterr @zebular @ironzerg79 and the rest of moderators and community managers,

Can you compile a list of current bugs acknowledged from developers and pin it in a new thread?

Edit: Preferably if you separate them within categories.

Example:
    Console-related bugs - PS4, XBone, PC discussion
    PvE-related bugs (like this dungeon key change) - PvE discussion
    PvP-related bugs - PvP discussion
    Class-specific bugs (encounters, feats etc) - Class-related discussion

This would be great to do. The only problem I foresee barring this is that Cryptic would need to take the time to go through and pull out what they deem an exploit and what they don't and then that list would be used to justify or persecute bugs both on and not on the list upon on the Community by the Community. Such should be clear here with how easily the word exploiter is being shoved around over the very bug this thread is about. I don't see this happening in any greater detail than the Bug Reporting Forums and occasional Known Issues stickies we already make use of.

So basically, a game developing studio, whose job is to develop a game and manage a player-base has no time to do that. Why? Are they perhaps too busy with the US presidential campaign? Or achieving world peace? Or putting out forest fires? Its their damn job you're telling me they dont have the time to do.
  • Options
    luks707luks707 Member Posts: 230 Arc User

zman81420 said:

I want to see payroll stubs from when we the players programed in a decline button. Because where I am sitting you just called me and everyone I play with a cheater. I sure don't write code or have any experience "YOU" made this game not us. If this was unintended why the heck did you let it go on for years? You seemingly grandfathered in your mistake of never removing the option into the life blood of the game. This change is bogus, your reasoning is flawed and calling us the exploiters by a bunch of rushed hack content is utterly insulting. Not only did you just make invoking changes for us now we lose a half day for emergency maintenance on brand new content console players "were" looking forward to but now look we are being blatantly accused as cheaters. I've seen guild mates talk about or straight up quit in the last 24 hours on a new module, people whom I've played with about a year or longer. Is this how you you kick off new content by HAMSTER the entire player base over. I can't laugh anymore on how stupid this is or any of their antics anymore. Get your act together take some happy pills and reconsider yet another toilet bowl decision.

I have to say, this kind of absurd vitriol is not really helpful. The logical cartwheels some of you are doing to turn this into an accusation that you are cheaters are embarrassing and really off topic. Why not focus on the real issue rather than manufacturing this feigned offense of being called a cheater.
    Um ... You don't find it offensive to be called a cheater? Just re-read the original post. It said there is a "minority" (most of us) taking advantage of a "bug" that they are now "pleased" to "fix". So it is fair. Oh and btw this will make it easier to look at loot.
    There is nothing whatsoever feigned about being offended at being treated this way not least of all as it is simply not true.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    Cryptic management need to get off their asses BEFORE the weekend and firmly state the loot tables are going to be seriously improved either before or at the same time as the peek function is removed or this discussion is going to fester and fester.

You can be sure it'll be all over the gaming news sites in short order - if Cryptic don't get a handle on this and mitigate the damage NOW they are going to get some very negative press.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    excat56#5321 excat56 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I can say this without question - if this made it to PS4, myself, and a slew of other well paying customers, would no longer be customers.

I can also say this - you would loose a HUGE portion of your ps4 community over this, be it a "bug fix" or not. We have f2p games that run a MUCH better business model on consoles, and treat their players with respect and value their opinions, with better customer support (i.e. Warframe)

We as console players only know how it currently is to be how it is supposed to be. So a move in this direction, even if it is claimed to be a "bug", is greed to us. This "bug" should have never made it to us, because this has been this way since day 1, it is the actual game for us. With the absolute worst rng chances of any game we have played, this single handedly would have prevented ALL of us from investing anything other than a few free days into NW. I won't put dollar amounts, but the investment between myself, wife, and my group of friends, is well in excess of $xxk.

With the joke of an update with mod 10 totaling the game, and now hearing about this, choose your next moves wisely, LOTS of people are watching, and actions speak louder than words.
  • Options
    emilemo said:

desisti said:

Pretty much, yeah.
  • Options
    jumpingmorksjumpingmorks Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    armadeonx said:

Cryptic management need to get off their asses BEFORE the weekend and firmly state the loot tables are going to be seriously improved either before or at the same time as the peek function is removed or this discussion is going to fester and fester.

You can be sure it'll be all over the gaming news sites in short order - if Cryptic don't get a handle on this and mitigate the damage NOW they are going to get some very negative press.

Short of a miracle, I doubt that is going to happen, if at all. The initial post mentioned:

"the Neverwinter design team will be better able to design rewards for chests going forward now that the bug has been fixed"

We're still waiting on the completion of the level cap rise in mod 6, notably, where are the dungeons they removed 4 mods ago. Anything that isn't related to the next mod they;re working on gets put on an almost permanent backburner. Sure sometimes we get a large slew of bug fixes in one patch, but it's usually mitigated by newer content creating newer problems or older content not working with new content.

Their usual tactic is remove/disable it, worry about it later because the next mod always has the priority.

• Options
    zebular said:

talon1970 said:

So here is my "exploiting history":

- Started playing a few days before caturday, everytime i entered PE i was asked if i want a cat...a cat...CATS EVERYWHERE!!
    I declined

- Mod1 Sharandar went live, coming home from work, everywhere Admin messages ..."xxxx has acquired an Mystic Nightmare" i had bought with real cash some keys, i declined opening lockboxes, bc it was obviously an bug.

- Arcane Reservoir i declined sharing with people these Quest at the beginning from Mod1 bc again it felt like a bug and a lot of people getting banned.

- Feywild Ioun Stone: A guild member bought Zen with cash and was getting the Feywild Stone as an accountwide Reward. One evening after an patch day, there was an bug that these Stone was not accountwide, it was free.
    He asked me if i want some for my chars, I declined, bc it was clearly an bug. He recieved an perma ban, my normal terror enchant, wich i gave him until he was able to build one for himself was gone too. I declined to write a ticket bc it was my own fault.

- Mod5 Trickster Rouge Rework: I declined changing my perfect vorpal against my perfect Plaguefire, bc SoD was bugged and i didn't want to outdps guildmates by 2x, 3x or 4x.

- Death Slaad: All of my guildmates declined opening the pack to get one, bc again and again it was an bug and we know that.
    (To be clear some of us opened it for the collection and then they thrown him away.)

Sure i have forgotten some things, but now i am standing here:

Called as an exploiter bc i declined wasting keys for an reward, that is not worth it.

If i was threatening customers in my job in that way, i am sure they would never ever call again my company again for the next time, and if my boss figured out i was the reason bc of unfriendly behavior, doing terrible mistakes and so on, i am pretty sure that these was my last day at work.

Sorry for my bad english.

The only people calling it an exploit are players, mainly those trying to spin a negative connotation on its use or point fingers in shame and to use as a means to justify their argument. It was never deemed an exploit, it was deemed an acceptable bug. If such is an exploit, then people logging in to the game while there was a bug with the UI that didn't display their characters would be an exploit. Just because a bug exists, it doesn't mean it is an exploit. I suggest to stop labeling yourself as an exploiter for something that was never deemed an exploit by the game staff. The only ones calling it an exploit are the players and all this labeling and shaming just proves my point as to why we were asked to not call it a bug years ago, for it is clear people will misconstrue that and label as an exploit it for their own agenda.

Seriously Zeb - why are you still pushing this? The comparison is laughable. People feel they are called exploiters not only because someone said it was a "bug" but also that it needed changed because there was a minority taking advantage. If you want constructive discussion - please stop telling us how we feel is wrong and work with us to address this.
  • Options
    Oh just as a little bit of comparison - Wizards of the Coast replied to my complaint about this within four hours. Yes it maybe helps that I was a playtester for them (before they began crowdsourcing playtesting) but it clearly shows there is a better way. And hopefully that those whose Intellectual Property you are devaluing by destroying the brand's reputation will be waking up and taking this seriously.
  • Options
    isaintify1isaintify1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    The only reason why I even play this game is for running dungeons with friends, and the rewards from the dungeons (even when they are awful normally). I still do enjoy doing it but the fact is that with FBI its a easy dungeon but the rewards are still terrible, and to actually ENTER the dungeon is more difficult than the dungeon itself. When I recieve a rank 5 from the boss/chest I cannot help but feel really depressed. But the fact that I can save my key for better loot, and decline that rank 5 enchantment from the chest is what keeps me wanting to run the dungeons.

-So bring keys down from 20 hours to 20 seconds
    -Give better loot drops overall, no blue rings and low enchantments, and NO peridots/aquamarines from chests (Make it substantially higher RP items that actually drop
    -Let the bosses in the dungeon have a large loot pool, than a couple of cosmetic/salvage.
    -Bring how loot used to be back premod 6 plentiful, and with a chance to drop things like 3 of sets. (Hrimnir set for example from Frozen Heart)
  • Options
    mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    emilemo said:

desisti said:

Well identified and I am guilty as charged, the major investment in this game is like an anchor keeping you pinned down by them, I have experienced this before with a game and eventually reached a watershed and bailed, I think a lot of players now feel that this is their watershed, on its own its not that big a deal, however it is the culmination of a string of this kind of anti player behaviour and many camels are now unable to move it appears.
  • Options
    matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    beadin said:

This isn't just about the keys. This is a culmination of every decision made with no regards to the player. We said "No more HE's", so you gave us more HE's. We said "No more empowerment mechanics", so you gave us more empowerable armor. We said "Fix inventory issues" so you gave us 100 new types of fish and brand new RP stones. You guys aren't listening to what your customers want out of your game; instead, you're trying to force-feed us the garbage YOU think we ought to enjoy. The Mod 6 mentality is still alive and well, you guys just managed to disguise it for a little while.

Since you're going to nickel and dime us on loot, why don't you add some of those sweet Mod 6 damage spikes back in so you can sell some more health stones too.

Of course this is NOT just about the keys. Every failed decision/communication always adds up with the past failures. The problem is that they try to align their monetary practices, which are probably dictated from some ignorant managers, with fun/enjoying content design. And there is ALWAYS an incompatibility between them, alas for them money always has the upper hand in this equation, and thats EXACTLY where Cryptic lost it. Trying to squeeze out money from players by destroying the dungeons in a DnD game must be the most HAMSTER idea EVER.

You dear Cryptic are insulting the intelligence of thousands of adult human beings constantly for the past years, THIS WILL BE SURELY REWARDED...

You are devaluing the so much loved DnD franchise day by day, year after year after the superb grand opening this game had with so much dungeons, epic fights, epic loots....you slowly turning this game into a facebook game for HAMSTER..THIS WILL BE SURELY REWARDED...

And since you are still trying to squeeze your terrible free 2 play model into Neverwinter with all these malpractices and direct insults to our brains , its SO, SO easy you know for players to organize and STOP BUYING ANYTHING from zen store..its nothing for several big guild leaders like me to ask nicely from our guildies who we spent years online to just STOP SPENDING. Dont pull the strings more, you are dealing with humans in love with DnD, if you DONT know what this means i feel sorry for you, me and Neverwinter.

• Options
    livefast1#9341 livefast1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Even if these changes are not implemented, what's next?? More trivial content??? More massive grindwalls??? What happens when they find the next thing they can Nerf for more cash flow??? Cryptic has continually managed to make this game worse and worse, and sadly, I don't see that changing anytime soon. This is how they have always treated their customers. The only implements they make in game are ones that bring in $$$$, or cost them $$$$. This is just another moneygrab. They don't care about NW QOL. I understand they are a business, but such greed and inconsiderate practices have left me spending very little time on NW. The D&D franchise should strongly consider finding a new developer. One preferably that gives a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about their playerbase.
  • Options
    Money making is not the problem @matiagronx , its their chosen way to make money that is the problem. If they had a monthly sub and QoL/Skins in the cash shop, Id pay them at least 50 euro per month. Then they could also charge 20-30 buck for a new module and take some more time to actually deliver quality content with those new modules...

So much wasted potential and missed opportunities...
  • Options
    arcticblitzarcticblitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 126 Arc User
    There are so many amazing suggestions in this thread for fixing the issue, What makes me sad given Cryptics past history at handling things that nothing will be done (or worse some poor token gesture to sweep it all under the carpet.)

I wonder how much PW will sell the studio to me for? Maybe then we'll be able to make it great.
    Blitzy : PVE only Barbarian
    Martin ConDion PVE only Ranger

Guild Founder: -HunterS-
  • Options
    matiagronxmatiagronx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 251 Arc User
    emilemo said:

Money making is not the problem @matiagronx , its their chosen way to make money that is the problem. If they had a monthly sub and QoL/Skins in the cash shop, Id pay them at least 50 euro per month. Then they could also charge 20-30 buck for a new module and take some more time to actually deliver quality content with those new modules...

So much wasted potential and missed opportunities...

Maybe u misread, its their terrible money grabbing policies that destroyed this game. I proposed years ago to introduce a monthly fee because with this particular F2P model they are effectively destroying the game. They dont understand that the majority of the playerbase with big wallets WAS ADULTS over 30 years old, mostly 40-50 that have a certain CONNECTION with DnD and they would PAY to enjoy this game. Cryptic done the EXACT opposite, they THREW AWAY all these big wallets from game, reducing constantly the population over the years, and now they are still doing it with Xbox and PS4...cant SOMEONE buy this off their hands? Its so freaking sad...
This discussion has been closed.