test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MOD 10 DC changes

Comments

• Options
    thestiathestia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 296 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure that the reason the DC class is not as popular as dps types is that there is little glory in playing support roles. Many people want to be the one with ridiculously high numbers, not the one making those numbers possible in the first place.

Personally I've always obtained great personal satisfaction from listening to the amazement of my groups; hearing "that was the fastest run I've ever had!" Or, "did you see that ice knife/ibs/etc!!" always has me smiling into my monitor. I don't think there are a lot of personality types that are able to accept that their contribution will most often be attributed to someone else.

That's one of the main reasons why threads that support removal of sets like high prophet and the like raise my ire, honestly. I don't wear high prophet for my OWN dps. I wear it for my team. I'm chained to the stats on that set, and forced to find a way to survive and support my team (which often requires a large investment on my part) while being shackled to a set I've been wearing for years. The irony of dps classes supporting the removal of this set just floors me.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I know but its funny that people have no problem complaining about the strength of the DC. Yet you don't see a lot of them in game. I'm confident the actual population of 3k+ DCs is less than 10% and probably closer to 5%. Should be an indication for the devs that the class isn't truly the beast people scream it is when you don't see people flocking to it.
  • Options
    ichimaruginxichimaruginx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 230 Arc User
    Frankly, I don't understand either :/ I wear my HP set too and it doesn't give me much except making me die easily when a stray spiderling decided to spit at me :wink: And those people asking for the removal? Yup they are more often than not those benefiting from that set. It's the same story for alot of DC powers - it's not for ourselves that we use them...

But I think, those people complaining might be those DPSers that flock to certain DC builds when it become very popular just like they roll an OP for bubble and GF for ITF when it's the hot stuff. They don't really play their support characters long term and only see the strengths of the specific build due to certain game-mechanics. For them, the support char is something as a side project for laughs and thrown away when the build is no longer valid or rather, no longer "overpowered".

I agree that long-term or dedicated DC players or any other support/tank players constitute a small majority of the players in game, and we really didn't want the nerflight on us xD (Shuddered at the mod1 to mod4 dailies until DC got reworked in mod5..)
  • Options

Frankly, I don't understand either :/ I wear my HP set too and it doesn't give me much except making me die easily when a stray spiderling decided to spit at me :wink: And those people asking for the removal? Yup they are more often than not those benefiting from that set. It's the same story for alot of DC powers - it's not for ourselves that we use them...

But I think, those people complaining might be those DPSers that flock to certain DC builds when it become very popular just like they roll an OP for bubble and GF for ITF when it's the hot stuff. They don't really play their support characters long term and only see the strengths of the specific build due to certain game-mechanics. For them, the support char is something as a side project for laughs and thrown away when the build is no longer valid or rather, no longer "overpowered".

I agree that long-term or dedicated DC players or any other support/tank players constitute a small majority of the players in game, and we really didn't want the nerflight on us xD (Shuddered at the mod1 to mod4 dailies until DC got reworked in mod5..)

Congrats on reaching GH20 btw
  • Options
    crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    Ugh, DC "rework" and "Annointed Champion" pretty much sound like, nerf the AC and what remaining DC's are left will be forced to DO. I hope it doesn't end up like that. Really, if not for the power buffs AC wouldn't even really be used, it could technically use some buffs to other aspects of the paragon.
  • Options
    putzboy78 said:

Congrats on reaching GH20 btw

Awww thanks! :D At least now we can stop farming influence like ants haha. Still have the boons to go though^^

• Options
    erosennin92erosennin92 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 38 Arc User
    dupeks said:

AC might still be meta in mod 10 due to the plain stupid everfrost mechanic:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1218608/everfrost-damage

It hits hard....VERY hard. Someone should check if Empowered AS+AA mitigates it.

I confirmed it hits VERY hard. And it doesn't look like empowered AS can help either:

[...]

Or even AA:

[...]

Subjectively it doesn't feel like it's reducing the Everfrost, the floaters still appear to be in the same general range, and combat log is not looking good. At least they found a way to make healing relevant again?

I am hoping I'm tragically confused and incorrect about the above. Not that unlikely, all things considered hehe.

From the new Preview Patch Notes
    General: Shield, dodge and immunity powers should now properly mitigate Everfrost damage.

I still have not tried yet today, did anyone tested if AS or AA now mitigate?

Azeroth Godwill - (Half)Drow - Virtuous AC DC - iLvL 4k

• Options
    izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User
    Can any Dev verify if all that has been testesd here is WAI?
    It does not seem to be right (eg. Insygnia bonuses).
  • Options
    izwor said:

hahaha, dev on the cleric forums, as if

• Options
    raist718raist718 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    putzboy78 said:

izwor said:

hahaha, dev on the cleric forums, as if

This made me laugh, but seriously it seems the amount of players that enjoy playing support is very little. But changes to "correct" a certain play style always seem to have adverse effects non-popular builds.
    Wake | Halfling | DC/DO
    Raist Torilrocker | Dwarf | DC/AC

Waterdeep Dungeon & Salvage LLC
    Twitch
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    raist718 said:

This made me laugh, but seriously it seems the amount of players that enjoy playing support is very little. But changes to "correct" a certain play style always seem to have adverse effects non-popular builds.

The amount of players that enjoy playing support is very little, but the amount of players who want support is and will be very high (many times for the wrong reasons).
    Be prepared: overwork is coming with the new module. I don't know how many (good) 3.1k+ DCs are around...

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    3k+ DC are rare looking at PE. Even at 2,5 IL you could support with HG, BtS, etc. + high powerbuffs switching some bondings and radiants in your companion.
    My DC has the lowest IL compared to other chars. At least there is a reason to work for better gear. I am sure buff/debuffing DC same as GF's will be wanted even more in mod 10, since there are enough 3k+ DPS classes. Maybe one supporter/heal will not be sufficient for some groupsetups looking at new dungeon.
    Most wanted renemof CW, rightous DC i guess to get things fast and easy.
    Post edited by schietindebux on
  • Options
    after survive-ability is assured, everything gets turned into a time trial. So buff/debuff is always in demand but only if they can outperform a dps in their place. Before righteous was released it was near impossible to get in a party as a DC even with the buff/debuffs we had. We could outpeform an additional dps in terms of party dps contribution, but average gamers don't understand buff/debuff and therefore didn't take them. Only the more knowledgeable high ilvl people were smart enough to take DCs for buff/debuffing purposes. It was painful unless you had a good friends list.
  • Options
    putzboy78 said:

after survive-ability is assured, everything gets turned into a time trial. So buff/debuff is always in demand but only if they can outperform a dps in their place. Before righteous was released it was near impossible to get in a party as a DC even with the buff/debuffs we had. We could outpeform an additional dps in terms of party dps contribution, but average gamers don't understand buff/debuff and therefore didn't take them. Only the more knowledgeable high ilvl people were smart enough to take DCs for buff/debuffing purposes. It was painful unless you had a good friends list.

Or a good guild! For one, I'm extremely lucky to not have to pug most of the time although I did had to experience the horribleness of it for a short time before I joined my current guild. And just like you've said, many didn't see the point of gearing up a DC since they can buff/debuff anyways with 2.5k, add skill on top of it, most would just run away and play a DPSer. Why? Because when you're a good DC, you rarely get acknowledged (in PuGs anyways). But when you are a DPSer? The chart shows your 'skill'.

On top of that, not many would stay as a DC or play it often enough to be skilled in it and many DPSers ask for FULL support DCs because they have a DPS main and think that DC main-players don't need to DPS dailies with their mains hah! Hey, we still need to enjoy our mains just like you do and it doesn't always mean beefing our fellow party members up to sky-high ;) Before righteous rework - IWD took most of my time in completing it. I used to team up with a GF so we can help each other haha.

How I wish I could bribe the devs with Timbits so they would pop in here for once!
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    Tbh i enjoy playing a good supporter like my AC DC and I also enjoy running a tank, otherwise the outcome pugging is too painfull sometimes .... sure I allready quitt a group killing first CN boss in 5 min, even buffed as much as possible from my side
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    Running as a support DC is very unrewarding. :/ Because I'm healing in dungeons I don't get any Wanderer's fortune/Dragon Hoard/any other drops from gear I carry. When I run a DPS I walk out of the dungeon generally with a decent amount of RP.

This on top of the already depressing drop rate from any bosses usually when I run t2s I might get a purple from the chest.. in CN I'm lucky if I get anything at all greater than +2 Ring.. Since the value of those are dropping next mod if I understand that correctly Will it still even be worth it to run CN??
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    CN still has chance of dropping multiple epics, rp stones, and R8 enchants. It's also fast with a good team. I'm confident it will remain attractive
  • Options
    mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    putzboy78 said:

CN still has chance of dropping multiple epics, rp stones, and R8 enchants. It's also fast with a good team. I'm confident it will remain attractive

And the wand artifact drops there. Which is still going for roughly 2mil. I mean sure it's a small chance to get it, but that alone is a pretty nice incentive ontop of the salvage and RP you get from running CN IMO. I currently prefer CN over any other dungeon for farming. Unless none of my friends are on... then I'm relegated to PUGing in eLoL :( Although with the recent addition of alliances on Xbox, I haven't had to PUG once yet! I swear I think the addition of alliances is one of the most underappreciated additions to the game so far. So good! Jury still seems to be out on whether or not Bangbreaker will be worth the time or not though I see...
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Preliminary post-patch assessment.
    I run CN with 5 DCs, all featuring WoL, BoB and AA exstensively used: I touched "only" 145k power. Following my calculations, I was expecting to see much more with 5 DCs.
    I further tested BoB + AA + WoL with another DC (a guildie of mine) and here what I saw:
    - WoL working with the "base power" as already known.
    - When more DCs play togheter, the companion and the DCs are buffed by all the WoLs around (2 WoL icons on the companion and 1 icon on the DC, in the 2 DCs test case) , but only 1 AA and 1 BoB (the last one applied). In few words, multiple AAs and BoBs don't stack the power stat anymore.
    If this is correct, another class with rank 12 b.runestones cannot stack power from more than 1 cleric (more or less).
    Has anyone have the time to check?

Oltreverso guild leader
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    rapo973 said:

Preliminary post-patch assessment.
    I run CN with 5 DCs, all featuring WoL, BoB and AA exstensively used: I touched "only" 145k power. Following my calculations, I was expecting to see much more with 5 DCs.
    I further tested BoB + AA + WoL with another DC (a guildie of mine) and here what I saw:
    - WoL working with the "base power" as already known.
    - When more DCs play togheter, the companion and the DCs are buffed by all the WoLs around (2 WoL icons on the companion and 1 icon on the DC, in the 2 DCs test case) , but only 1 AA and 1 BoB (the last one applied). In few words, multiple AAs and BoBs don't stack the power stat anymore.
    If this is correct, another class with rank 12 b.runestones cannot stack power from more than 1 cleric (more or less).
    Has anyone have the time to check?

I only got to do a few runs of CN and edemo last night, with 1-3 DCs in party.

My subjective experience matches your description:
    1) BoB and AA are always last applied
    2) WoL does add, but doesn't feed back (and since it's sharing base power the effect is much reduced)
    3) Adding multiple DCs to the mix helped inch the power up a little bit (alone I get up to 100K with all systems pumping, with 1 additional DC I was seeing ~120K).
    4) Friends and companions are feeling a significant reduction in power sharing. Down to about 17K shared when BoB + WoL + AA all told. That said, it DOES get fed back through companions so someone with 3x R12 bondings is still going to feel 4x the power share (1x directly, 2.85x bonding, 0.15x legendary bonus).

TL;DR:
    1) Power stacking got noticeably reduced
    2) Feedback interactions with multiple DCs were adequately addressed
    3) I still think my virt/right heal+buff build is viable, possibly even more in demand now that people are starting to feel EF dmg hitting hard.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    [EDIT] Improved on 8/19/2016
    dupeks said:

My subjective experience matches your description:
    1) BoB and AA are always last applied
    2) WoL does add, but doesn't feed back (and since it's sharing base power the effect is much reduced)
    3) Adding multiple DCs to the mix helped inch the power up a little bit (alone I get up to 100K with all systems pumping, with 1 additional DC I was seeing ~120K).
    4) Friends and companions are feeling a significant reduction in power sharing. Down to about 17K shared when BoB + WoL + AA all told. That said, it DOES get fed back through companions so someone with 3x R12 bondings is still going to feel 4x the power share (1x directly, 2.85x bonding, 0.15x legendary bonus).

TL;DR:
    1) Power stacking got noticeably reduced
    2) Feedback interactions with multiple DCs were adequately addressed
    3) I still think my virt/right heal+buff build is viable, possibly even more in demand now that people are starting to feel EF dmg hitting hard.

Thank you for your feedback.
    The following is the updated model (tbc by further tests)

Case 1
    Two AC DCs, both with BoB/BF + AA + WoL. For the sake of simplicity, they both have the same power, 3xrank 12 bonding runestones on a companion with 3 offensive slots. No insigna bonus, no twisted weapons, etc are considered in this example.
    With such a choice, it's irrelevant who is buffing who because the values are the same. If the companion is affected by the buffs, here how it works:

DC nr.2 has 8.8k power increase. The same happens to cleric nr 1

Case 2
    Same setup as above, but with 5 AC DCs. Please note that only one AA+Bob/BF is applied when more DCs play toghter.

The overall power is increased by ~35k "only".

Finally the fix gives us the following:
    - A DC slotting 3 bonding runestones and casting AA+BoB+WoL still receives a big power buff ( ~ 3.6x in this example). Good when you soloing as a virtuous for example.
    - More DCs add the WoL component only which come now from "base" power. This component is low and when amplified by the bonding runestones, it doesn't explode anymore.

If all the above is confirmed (your tests appreciated), spamming AA between many DCs is irrelevant and it's enough to be in the WoL range. With more DCs,1 HG and 1 AA (<- this should be cast by the DC with the higher base power) are enough to buff whoever is the range. Multiple AAs provide more mitigation only.

Imho good job devs, but I regret this is not written in the patch note.

Next test: buff another class with 3 bonding runestones.

PS: I've not updated some statements in the model: don't consider them.
    Post edited by rapo973 on

Oltreverso guild leader
  • Options
    shaffer24#0953 shaffer24 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    What they really need to change in mod 10 is to give clerics something to compete with paladins as end game healers, or to make healing as a cleric in end game content viable in general.I started off as a cleric cause I wanted to be a healer and In the world of dnd that's what clerics do but to get to end game and just get totally blown out by a pally is kinda disheartening.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

What they really need to change in mod 10 is to give clerics something to compete with paladins as end game healers.

The DC is definitely competitive as a healer. If the heals scoreboard is your benchmark, then you're on the wrong way.
    At end-game and when you have a good gear and a well performing setup (build, stats, etc), the DC always overheals and you don't need such level of heals (Do your really need to heal 200k? A good healer DC can do it, but it's not needed). Btw BiS groups need no heals or a small amount only in all the dungeons. The new FBI dungeon may require more heals.
    Whan you have devotion paladin in your group, you should create sinergies (buff, mitigation, etc) where the healing part is just a minor component.

Oltreverso guild leader
  • Options
    in Mod 6 healers were needed. So the only way to make healers viable is to turn up the damage. But it has to be done carefully. To high of damage (one hit kills) mean healers don't matter and therefore more emphasis is made on damage mitigation (kind of like the early days of orcus fight). To little damage and you are replaced by lifesteal.

Healers do have a role at end game. It's supporting pugs and low ilvl teams.

Also in D&D clerics are not strictly healers, just many people play them that way. They are also supposed to be capable fighters.

We had a time when we only healed. It was hell to get into a group. Let's not go back to it
  • Options
    mrtehpuppymrtehpuppy Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    I am in full agreement that...

to make healing as a cleric in end game content viable

but I'm also with @putzboy78 in that they have to adjust it carefully. Where I disagree somewhat though is that I feel like it's less about what they adjust and more about, the devs REALLY need to just stop adding in non-class specific forms of healing. Between the new life steal mechanics still being easily stacked to the point of invincibility, the various mount insignia bonuses that add various forms of healing, artifact active abilities to heal, artifact weapon sets that heal, mount combat powers that heal, companions that are actually pretty good at healing (Lillend is a surprisingly ridiculously strong healer companion), etc there is just FAR too much healing in this game that trivializes the role of a healing DC, or even a healadin for that matter, at end game levels.

Also, I've almost always either been a Cleric or a Bard in my PnP DnD games but have never felt like healing is what clerics in DnD are "meant" to be. I've always felt they played a better anti undead/demon slayer type role. I mean sure they can heal, but so can bards, druids, rangers... the list goes on. Feel like the DnD games where the group forces a cleric to be a healbot are boring.

The new Everfrost mechanic, in my opinion, is the devs attempt at rectifying the healer problem, without resorting to utterly ridiculous levels of spike damage. Again, that's just my opinion and being as how I'm on the wrong platform to experience the content I'm just speculating really and relying on you guys to tell me what's what. I like the power share changes that you guys have passed along so far. I KINDA wish augments were included in the base power calculations for WoL just as a means of making them POSSIBLY relevant again but the fact that they aren't is no big deal I guess. Andy has said with a good bit of confidence that they want to take a second pass on balancing the bonding stones so maybe THAT will make augments relevant again? Who knows.

But so far, I'd like to thank you @rapo973 for doing the leg work so far. I personally very much appreciate what you're doing.
    Member of Look Good Play Good
    Pup - Level 70 4.2k Buff/Debuff AC DC
    XBL GT: TehPuppy
  • Options
    michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    @rapo973 You forgot to edit the total in the first chart when you corrected it adding the missing WoL.
  • Options

@rapo973 You forgot to edit the total in the first chart when you corrected it adding the missing WoL.

Checked again: you're right. 1 WoL missing.
    Edited: It should be ok now.

Oltreverso guild leader
  • Options
    xkrz8xdeathxkrz8xdeath Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Just wondering you guys complaining play pvp right
  • Options
    xkrz8xdeathxkrz8xdeath Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Well I play pve and all these nerfs making pve suck should make a cap for when they pvp so pve don't get affected
  • Options
    I don't think its a PVE vs PVP thing, i think its more about creating a build around a certain functionality and then changing it. Which impacts peoples builds. For example, GFs are now going to tone down their defense and stack more HP, that comes at a cost beyond a respec.

That said, for the power sharing it was pretty obvious that it wasn't WAI and would get changed.