test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Sharpedge's "Almost Everything" CW Guide (Mod 9):

Comments

• niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    AP (Action Points) and Encounter Cool Downs are two different things. With that said, Ribbs1 is right. The faster your encounters come off cool down, the faster they generate AP as that is how we generate AP (using encounters).
    Post edited by niadan on
    edited June 2016
    Edited because I was a grumpy @ss.
    Post edited by niadan on
  • nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    I understand the logic behind it, but spell twisting was already a given. I wasn't getting rid of it, so the encounter cool down rates would be unchanged. The question was more of would the additional 30% AP per min be a good trade off for a potentially obsolete feat.

I tried it out and while in groups with other CW's it was great. Without someone else to piggy back off of for chill stacks, it was pretty obvious I was missing a huge chunk of damage.

So I'm back to thaum / oppressor to icy veins. I just don't like either of the stamina options.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    I thought that you two were one the same person and I was like wtf.

Snail's a great mount for AP. I know some OPs who gave everything to build it, and got their dreams and hopes shattered after the nerf. Good times.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    So here I sit at 3.5 ilvl, with full r12's bonding stones considering if I want to change from an SS Renegade to SS Thaumaturge. I currently use the Shadow Demon summoned and blink dog, Intellect devourer, Wild Hunt Rider and Erinyes of Belial as companions. My enchants are all Brutals r9/10. I have two questions;

1. How much more damage does the SS Thaumaturge do over the SS Renegade on average?
    2. Would I want to swap out my 2 CA companions for Archons or something instead?
    Nice @ribbs1, I like Renegade just wondering if I'd actually gain enough to make changing worth it.
  • solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I like my buffs so im going to stay beeing renegade!!
    edited June 2016
    I switched back to Renegade, Outfitted my Fire Archon with all "Bites" gear. Gemmed for all crit on character and all power on Companion, geared two Dusk pieces for bonuses during party play, HP for Defensive slots, arp on character to 40% (combined with native ARP on companion + boons caps me at 60%), 10% Chilling Presence Crit bonus plus all crit ensignias for my Barbs equals:

100% crit
    60% ARP
    60K-70K Power (solo buffed)
    125K HP
    21% LS

I run with Archon Summoned+WIld Hunt+Blink Dog+Intelect Devo+Air Archon

Can't complain about DPS, and I am still buffing the party. Not sure I would see SIGNIFICANT increase in PERSONAL DPS by going back to Thaumaturge, But do know that the increased PARTY DPS is higher with me staying Renegade.

As DPS goes, I am not happy unless I am 50% of the damage on undergeared runs, and at min 30%+ on highly geared runs. I am usually very happy :)

Post edited by niadan on
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    niadan said:

I switched back to Renegade, Outfitted my Fire Archon with all "Bites" gear. Gemmed for all crit on character and all power on Companion, geared two Dusk pieces for bonuses during party play, HP for Defensive slots, arp on character to 40% (combined with native ARP on companion + boons caps me at 60%), 10% Chilling Presence Crit bonus plus all crit ensignias for my Barbs equals:

100% crit
    60% ARP
    60K-70K Power (solo buffed)
    125K HP
    24% LS

I run with Archon Summoned+WIld Hunt+Blink Dog+Intelect Devo+Air Archon

Can't complain about DPS, and I am still buffing the party. Not sure I would see SIGNIFICANT increase in PERSONAL DPS by going back to Thaumaturge, But do know that the increased PARTY DPS is higher with me staying Renegade.

As DPS goes, I am not happy unless I am 50% of the damage on undergeared runs, and at min 30%+ on highly geared runs. I am usually very happy :)

interesting i would like to see it vs thauma my nick is my handle in game.
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Fab! Been following you work since I started in late April. I'm finally ( just almost ) over 3k ( just gotta buy some potency, but full refined on a lot.

I did some switching on my build and I've left a five feats open, hoping for some advice from you before I proceed with placing them

My heroics are pretty standard for me

#row 1 _ 3/0/3/2

#row 2 _ 3/0/0/0

#row 3 _ 3/3/0/3

Thaum I have

Tempest Magic

Spell Twisting

Elemental Reinfircenent

Elemental empowerment

Assailing force

Oppressive I have

Bitter cold

Chilling control

Between my last 5 points, I'm considering either icy veins ( which I did previously and it was great )

Or critical power. Now that I have an AP mount, in trying to capitulate on AP and I know it's a great source of extra AD.

Additional info: I like having sudden storm in my rotation, normally over disintegrate, but I'm also mostly using icy terrain and steal magic. Testing it out now to see if I can get by without icy veins.

What do you think ? Adding AP gain every 10s ( 30% ) or the instant five dose of chill stacks ?

My daikies are normally ice knife and OF. Any idea if focused wizardry gimps storm spell as an AOE orca single target?

Thanks for any info

I would take icy veins, it makes a huge difference as . Sorry I took so long to respond to this, I have been away visiting relatives for 2 weeks.
    edited July 2016
    Fab,

Gearing being equal, which do you think would perform better, Rene with 100% crit, Abyss, and 70K power after Companion proc and all mount bonuses, or Thaum with Icy Veins, 90% crit and 55-60K power after Companion proc and all mount bonuses?

I know it is probably not much of a difference, but there it is...lol I tend to want to go back to Thaum cause I really do love Icy veins.
    niadan said:

Fab,

Gearing being equal, which do you think would perform better, Rene with 100% crit, Abyss, and 70K power after Companion proc and all mount bonuses, or Thaum with Icy Veins, 90% crit and 55-60K power after Companion proc and all mount bonuses?

I know it is probably not much of a difference, but there it is...lol I tend to want to go back to Thaum cause I really do love Icy veins.

For pure dps, SS thaum. For support, MoF Rene. Since the nerfing of the elol set, I find thaum is better than rene in the dps department.
  • c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    I agree, there's no denial that SS thaum does tremendous burst damage whilst having the benefits from both Spell Twisting and Icy Veins.
    In fact Icy Veins are a must for the biggest damage potential.

However, when playing with the hi-end build like Niadan does, spell twisting isn't really necessary to take.
    I had a chance to take some charts of Niadan a month ago, I think. In 30 sec or less he did around 7mil damage. At that time he was twice weaker than the current charts. As such spell twisting might not be necessary here to take.

a) Bosses would be the only real deal here where spell twisting would get it's biggest benefit - Disintegrate machine gun. Bosses can't be frozen so the biggest potential drops tremendously. Stupidly, other classes do not suffer such restrictions as wizards do.
    b) The bigger the damage output is, less need for the recovery. I'm sure that there's a sweet spot where power and recovery get to the best point, but it would take analyzing of the enemies and correlate the damage burst to fit that area.

So the question is always - faster mob killing or faster boss killing? Arguably, renegade is much better at boss killing due to the constant CA bonus and constant buffs in terms of Hp/Crit (which helps, a lot 30%) and damage itself (which also helps, a lot - 30%). Party-wise, ofc. Chances are that in the hi-end builds with DC power boosts, bosses will die before you can even throw 2-3 Ice Knife at them (unless you're a wizard 0 _ 0 with Gryphon and other Ap goodies). So, at some point of the hi-end build it becomes completely irrelevant to play a CW anymore without having a swell CD reduction.

Now, certain Thaum buffs do not light up since at boss segment there're no enemies to kill around (I don't see why not, though), so around 5% of the Thaum damage is lost at the start of the battle since Malevolent Surge doesn't work unless you kill something, and the Tempest Magic only works when the enemy is below 30% HP. It works much better when there're hordes and hordes of enemies. That's why even as a Renegade it's better to take the Oppressor tree options since Chilling spells will give a lasting bonus that's only trifled with if there's another CW with it around.

Renegade, on the other hand, gives + 30% Crit and +30% Damage boost (occasionally) for full 10 sec. Now, for those 10 sec it would make a great sense to take the Spell Twisting from the Thaum build. The very feat of Chaos Magic is best felt in Tiamat, eDemo or during the Dragon Slaying. Range is 50ft, which is more than enough, and can activate best by either Chilling Cloud or Steal Time.

Renegade also has better stance for AoE damage. When I play as Renegade, I always go full AoE because I like to attack lots and lots of enemies at once, and Icy Veins help to cool things out.

I personally like how Renegade functions which is why I chose it, but if I had top gear and top runes and whatnot, I'd go with Thaumaturge build, no question about it, and rely on two spells - Disintegrate and Ice Knife. It would be glorious, but boring I must say.

I also think that certain CW-based skills should crit once again.

So, to conclude -

- Boss killer, Dragon-killer? SS Thaumaturge with 5 points in Oppressor (bonus damage) and 5 points in Renegade (Ap gain). Focus on Disintegrate and Ice Knife to deal max damage. wait for best moments to do it at once for super-massive damage to single-targets. Sweet spot is around 45k Power and 25-30K Crit.

- AoE Destroyer, Stronghold Event cleaner? SS Renegade W 15 points in Oppressor and no F. Wizardry. Focus on having good CA bonus. Rotation Icy Terrain, ST, OF, and clean anything with Sudden storm when it gets frozen at the next segment of IT. Use CoI to sustain constant Storm Spell damage as well as activating lots of heals and other procs. Sweet spot should be around 50K Power, 15-25K Crit and 15K Recovery. Switch to single target spells Disintegrate and Chill Strike against the giant type enemies. Keep CoI and Icy Terrain for procs and buffing the Disintegrate with Chill power.

Good thing with Renegade is that despite not being that good at Single Target damage, it will always help to the team and that's a major bonus not to one, but to five people. To 10 people. To 25 people. Doesn't matter.
    30% bonus damage or crit to 25 people in Tiamat? And who knows, maybe there will be more super-epic encounters in the future where Renegade will prove to be useful. :smile:
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
    edited July 2016
    Random thing I noticed is that due to that event I missed due to my absence, the paranoid delusion is really cheap (~~300k AD) and its 1 of the better bonding proccers (3 offense slots, decent bonus, ranged attacker and it comes at epic as well). As a result, I would recommend that now is pretty much the time to grab it.
    Post edited by thefabricant on
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Im on Xbox, and quite a few of the insignia bonuses are working correctly. Have you gone back to check them recently?

Protector's Com is stacking at 0.5% per stack in the tooltip and in testing. Magistrate multiple people can have it on same enemy at a time. Barbarian seems to have no internal cooldown and procs off virtually every crit DOT. I noticed those 3, others might need testing too
    masteroga said:

Im on Xbox, and quite a few of the insignia bonuses are working correctly. Have you gone back to check them recently?

Protector's Com is stacking at 0.5% per stack in the tooltip and in testing. Magistrate multiple people can have it on same enemy at a time. Barbarian seems to have no internal cooldown and procs off virtually every crit DOT. I noticed those 3, others might need testing too

I have not checked them recently and you are right, they have changed. When I get the time I have to update that section.
    edited July 2016
    Update:
    Updated insignia bonus list.
    Added Appendix 8, which deals with rotations and party synergy.
    Updated Appendix 3, Appendix 4 will likely be updated later.
    Changed last updated date
  • masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    On Xbox, Trans Feytouch is letting at least 2 people at a time get the 18%. Tested on a dummy with one other person...didnt try on monsters but that shouldn't matter
    edited July 2016
    masteroga said:

On Xbox, Trans Feytouch is letting at least 2 people at a time get the 18%. Tested on a dummy with one other person...didnt try on monsters but that shouldn't matter

I see at least 1 person is going to keep me rechecking everything :p If you keep picking stuff up, ill have to give you edit permissions lol. Something that irritates me in NWO is the devs will fix something and not announce it in the patchnotes, meaning it might get fixed and you never noticed it, which is rather frustrating. With that being said, ill check it and if you are right, I will update :)
    edited July 2016
    I am not going to include this in the guide itself as I expect the bonding stones as they currently are to be nerfed, but for anyone wanting to solo dungeons, you can make a dungeon soloing build as follows (bear in mind, this relies heavily on SH boons):

Enchantments on Character:

Darks on every utility.
    1 Rank 2 Slayer overload and Ward overload for whichever monster type you happen to be facing, example, if you are soloing eCC, then undead ward.
    4 Rank 12 Vicious on offense.
    All other Offense slots are Brutals.
    All defense slots are radiant.
    Transcendent Fey Enchantment.
    Transcendent Elven Battle Enchantment.
    Reinforce Jewelry with AP gain.
    Reinforce Armor with Crit.

Enchantments on Companion:
    5 Azures on companion defense slots.
    1 Dark on companion defense slots.
    3 Rank 12 bonding Stones.
    3 Regeneration Reinforcement kits.

Build:

MoF Thaum.

The boons are in the first picture, the most important one is SH lifesteal boon. Starting attribute rolls are for max Cha and Int, Tiefling race and then put 1 point into each, every level.

Rotation:
    Shield on tab (Optional, you can probably drop it). FtF, CoI, IT. If you drop it, then use CoI on tab, FtF, Disintegrate and IT.
    Class Features: Crit Conflag + CP.
    Offhand Stat Bonus: Companion Influence.
    Offhand Feature Bonus: Crit Conflag.

For insignias, the only stat ones that are crucial are the barbed insignias of aggression for armor penetration. The bonuses you want are outlined in picture 2.

It is also worth noting that a much cheaper version of this could use loyal defender gear, but it is less effective as loyal defender gear has regen on it which is a wasted stat. If you use loyal defender gear though, you need to swap to a defender companion rather than a leader. In which case, I recommend the neverember guard.

Some notes:
    If you want to get more out of the deflect you have, you can drop 1 or 2 of the azures on the companion for silveries and then use a shadowclad instead of an elven battle.
    Elven Battle is used because you have capped damage resistance so no need for negation.
    The DPS with this build is miserable, remember its a CW designed to tank, not really for DPS.
    With 121k HP and 80% DR, this build has an effective HP of roughly 600k, without even taking into account deflect. With shield on tab, its an effective HP of 800k HP, assuming the shield is always popped.
    You rely on insignia bonuses + the SH boon for self heal, it is pretty much sustainable with the MoF DoTs.
    You can facetank the DoT from the 1 red circle that traven puts down in eCC without ever leaving it. This means you never need to hit the barrel, if that is the way you wish to do it.

I will try to get some screenshots of the build in action in 2 days time, I will be away for 2 days.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Hi thefabricant,

Recently I changed my Renegade path to Thaumaturge.

I want to know what it's the best companion to replace my intellect devourer.

Currently I have this :
    Fire Archon (epic) Summoned
    Air Archon (epic)
    Erinyes of Belial (epic)
    Blink Dog (epic)
    Intellect Devourer (blue)

What is your suggestion:

Siege Master or Wild hunt rider. Maybe take the 2 and replace the Blink Dog.

Side note :
    I use the Erinyes of Belial because with Bonding I have 91% critic => 93% with overload 95,5% with potion.
    I'm planning to reach 100% for Module 10 without overload and potion.

I'm not sure, but is it right to think that with 100% critic Erinyes of Belial is 10% increase in damage or critical severity have a diminishing return that I don't know ?
    (I use a Transcended Dread Enchantment.)

Maybe it's more complex because Spell Storm doesn't critic.

Is it for this reason that Siege Master and Wild Hunt rider are better than the dancing blade?

They can increase your spell storm damage.

Thanks
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • geeq5geeq5 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    If I may ask, why post a guide publicly if access is restricted?
    Is this guide just for certain people?
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    geeq5 said:

If I may ask, why post a guide publicly if access is restricted?

Is this guide just for certain people?

Is it possible you missed the link? I don't think the guide is restricted. The link is on the first page:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GBmw_bjgSrdkEnQ8GR_N5HgIuEfcvOxXXGDd7cJr-0Y/pub

• geeq5geeq5 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    When I try to view the docs I get a notification stating that I need to request access first
    The same thing happens to me on my smartphone, due to the fact that I have a Google docs account and use Chrome. On my PC I have no issues. Try copying the link and opening in new tab or use Explorer.
    edited July 2016

Hi thefabricant,

Recently I changed my Renegade path to Thaumaturge.

I want to know what it's the best companion to replace my intellect devourer.

Currently I have this :
    Fire Archon (epic) Summoned
    Air Archon (epic)
    Erinyes of Belial (epic)
    Blink Dog (epic)
    Intellect Devourer (blue)

What is your suggestion:

Siege Master or Wild hunt rider. Maybe take the 2 and replace the Blink Dog.

Side note :
    I use the Erinyes of Belial because with Bonding I have 91% critic => 93% with overload 95,5% with potion.
    I'm planning to reach 100% for Module 10 without overload and potion.

I'm not sure, but is it right to think that with 100% critic Erinyes of Belial is 10% increase in damage or critical severity have a diminishing return that I don't know ?
    (I use a Transcended Dread Enchantment.)

Maybe it's more complex because Spell Storm doesn't critic.

Is it for this reason that Siege Master and Wild Hunt rider are better than the dancing blade?

They can increase your spell storm damage.

Thanks

Critical severity has "diminishing returns."

Say you have 75% critical severity and you then add a companion that adds 10%. Also, lets make things easier and assume you have 100% critical strike chance. These are the best case scenarios. in the best case scenario, adding 10% critical severity is a 1.85/1.75-1 = 5.7% dps increase. That is in the best case scenario. The critical severity from dread doesn't show on your char sheet, try taking it off, you will see the number doesn't drop. You actually have an additional 75% critical severity on encounters. This means that companions that add percentages to damage, rather than flat numbers, are in most cases, superior.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Thanks for your explanation about how critical severity damage are calculated.

Finally I decided to buy the siege master and I upgraded it to epic to replace my Intellect Devourer.

And I will test the Wild hunt rider (epic) VS the Erinyes of Belial (epic).

Thanks again
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • nathan#8975 nathan Member Posts: 225 Arc User
    Just to clarify, because some of that math jargon went over my head.

Are you saying that companions with increase % to overall damage perform better than companions that boost %crit severity ?( assuming best case scenarios )

Also, any thoughts on priestess of sehanine moonbow ? I bought her expecting bad <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> results. So far we have had a Luke warm relationship.

My crit chance goes into the 90's with her, but she has no damaging spells. I've heard shadow demons can add upwards of 15m damage on a run. I'm not sure she beats that

Just to clarify, because some of that math jargon went over my head.

Are you saying that companions with increase % to overall damage perform better than companions that boost %crit severity ?( assuming best case scenarios )

Also, any thoughts on priestess of sehanine moonbow ? I bought her expecting bad **** results. So far we have had a Luke warm relationship.

My crit chance goes into the 90's with her, but she has no damaging spells. I've heard shadow demons can add upwards of 15m damage on a run. I'm not sure she beats that

Yes, companions that add to critical severity to exactly that, they add. This makes them inferior to companions that flat out multiply it in most cases. As for an active companion, if you want a buff companion the priestess is fine, but honestly, I would recommend getting a fire archon or paranoid delusion. The delusions are relatively cheap atm. If you want a better buffer, then the harper bard is a good choice. If you want a debuffer, the sellsword is a good choice.
    Re: paranoid delusion, does the active work on bosses? I assumed no. I have a shadow demon and a paranoid delusion and have been using the Demon.
This discussion has been closed.