Install Arc
Options

[PC] Sharpedge's "Almost Everything" CW Guide (Mod 9):

Comments

• Options
    gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    Great Job,

It's really appreciated.
    More detailed info on Control Wizard are always welcome.

Just before Module 8 I have tried exactly this build :
    SS Ren with Elemental Empowerment (Appendix 2: Other Builds I have tested)
    After 4 weeks, my conclusion was : Spell Twisting is required when you are SS Renegade.
    It's when you always wait for your cool down that you realize, spell twisting is too good, and it's needed with any good build.

Thanks
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User

Great Job,

It's really appreciated.
    More detailed info on Control Wizard are always welcome.

Just before Module 8 I have tried exactly this build :
    SS Ren with Elemental Empowerment (Appendix 2: Other Builds I have tested)
    After 4 weeks, my conclusion was : Spell Twisting is required when you are SS Renegade.
    It's when you always wait for your cool down that you realize, spell twisting is too good, and it's needed with any good build.

Thanks

Yep, I absolutely agree.
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    All I can say is, thank you for you're hard work.
  • Options
    flehstifferflehstiffer Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 167 Arc User
    Nice guide. I plan on bookmarking it.

After a quick skim through I notice no mention of lightning enchant for CW. Especially considering that it allow a CW to proc abyss of chaos by himself, it might be worth adding to the list.

My CW at least found it far better than the vorpal I had been using previously.
  • Options

Nice guide. I plan on bookmarking it.

After a quick skim through I notice no mention of lightning enchant for CW. Especially considering that it allow a CW to proc abyss of chaos by himself, it might be worth adding to the list.

My CW at least found it far better than the vorpal I had been using previously.

It is mentioned in the appendices.
  • Options
    spiritualxblspiritualxbl Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Hi Fab, great compilation. I was curious what your most consistent DPS build has been? We don't have ACTs on Xbox and I've been tinkering with a few builds myself. I'm fast approaching that "glass cannon" Thaum stability, but I'm still missing a bit of crit to make it viable enough right now. I have an Imperial Rage Drake, so that's at least another 10% crit chance, which is more than enough to sustain a Thaum/Icy build since it makes up for Chilling Advantage and I run with Renegades all the time.

I'm just wondering how you would rate these in order in terms of BiS gear, because I'm nearly there.

SS Thaum/Abyss w/ Vorpal
    SS Thaum/Abyss w/Transcendent Lightning
    SS Thaum/Icy
    MoF Thaum/Icy
    SS Rene/Twisting
    SS Rene/Icy

It's not that I don't like helping the party, but the threshold I'm seeing on SS Rene/Twisting is peaking. And if my DPS output is high enough to negate the Renegade buffs, I'd like to know what you've seen.

Any advice would be golden.
  • Options

Hi Fab, great compilation. I was curious what your most consistent DPS build has been? We don't have ACTs on Xbox and I've been tinkering with a few builds myself. I'm fast approaching that "glass cannon" Thaum stability, but I'm still missing a bit of crit to make it viable enough right now. I have an Imperial Rage Drake, so that's at least another 10% crit chance, which is more than enough to sustain a Thaum/Icy build since it makes up for Chilling Advantage and I run with Renegades all the time.

I'm just wondering how you would rate these in order in terms of BiS gear, because I'm nearly there.

SS Thaum/Abyss w/ Vorpal
    SS Thaum/Icy
    MoF Thaum/Icy
    SS Rene/Twisting
    SS Rene/Icy

It's not that I don't like helping the party, but the threshold I'm seeing on SS Rene/Twisting is peaking. And if my DPS output is high enough to negate the Renegade buffs, I'd like to know what you've seen.

It depends honestly, SS thaum with abyss is the most consistant for AoE fights I find, but for single target, MoF thaum with abyss takes the prize. I am already working on an update for the build based on some new discoveries I have made recently (as of yesterday in fact!) and they are very much unique in that I have only seen one other CW running the spec or one like it.
  • Options
    katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User

SS Thaum/Abyss w/ Vorpal
    SS Thaum/Icy
    MoF Thaum/Icy
    SS Rene/Twisting
    SS Rene/Icy

It depends honestly, SS thaum with abyss is the most consistant for AoE fights I find, but for single target, MoF thaum with abyss takes the prize. I am already working on an update for the build based on some new discoveries I have made recently (as of yesterday in fact!) and they are very much unique in that I have only seen one other CW running the spec or one like it.
    Is this the thing you PMed me about in-game yesterday @thefabricant . If so, lemme know so I can buy the things needed before you post the guide :P
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • Options
    I tried MoF Abyss Rene with Trans Lightning with mixed results. Lmk what you figure out. @thefabricant
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    If you need anything tested on Xbox, let me know if I can assist in any way.
    Post edited by spiritualxbl on
  • Options
    Also you should add that the Transcendent Negation is a fantastic option for Xbox CWs. The 10% Recovery, 10% Incoming Healing (affects Lifesteal) and the 30% Damage Resistance. CWs suffer from a rubber banding effect when teleporting sometimes and most of the CWs on Xbox have countered that (because you're not sure if you're safe) by getting a Transcendent Negation. Literally 90% of the top tier CWs on Xbox are using them now. That's the reason they're selling for 6 million AD on the Tradehouse.
  • Options

I tried MoF Abyss Rene with Trans Lightning with mixed results. Lmk what you figure out. @thefabricant

MoF thaum with abyss and bilethorn works well for single target. Bilethorn procs abyss similar to lightning and does weird stuff with your damage sources. I will be updating my guide to include a section on that interaction in the appendices, its a viable DoT build with high single target damage. I would hazard a guess and say its not good in pvp though because it doesn't rely on burst damage it relies on sustainable ticks that proc rapidly and so rather than bursting opponents down with hard hits, you bleed them rapidly to death.

Also you should add that the Transcendent Negation is a fantastic option for Xbox CWs. The 10% Recovery, 10% Incoming Healing (affects Lifesteal) and the 30% Damage Resistance. CWs suffer from a rubber banding effect when teleporting sometimes and most of the CWs on Xbox have countered that (because you're not sure if you're safe) by getting a Transcendent Negation. Literally 90% of the top tier CWs on Xbox are using them now. That's the reason they're selling for 6 million AD on the Tradehouse.

The reason I don't add reference to it is because by the time you have built up stacks of negation, you dead in pve. It doesn't provide 30% damage resistance, it provides 3% per time you get hit. You need to get hit very rapidly to actually build up stacks and as of such I don't like the enchantment. Also, with regards to xbox, I do not play on xbox so I cannot test it there, as of such I won't include information regarding xbox because it could potentially be false and I have no way to check what people are saying.
  • Options
    omgitszephomgitszeph Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    This guide is simply fantastic, thanks again for another supurb guide, you are brilliant !!
    ~Intelligence is SEXXY, talk nerdy to me ~
  • Options
    russafaaarussafaaa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    Amazing job, thanks a lot.
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Hey, my account's ban has been lifted! Finally!
    Awesome guide @thefabricant ! 10/10, would proofread again.
  • Options
    btfdbtfd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    Damn this is awesome. Thanks to everybody who participated in this guide, especially to @thefabricant for doing so many things for the NW community. Lol if I was Cryptic I'd spam your mailbox with job offers haha :)

• Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    Thank you for this great guide. I got two questions. How does combustive action debuff target? From tooltip, it only says about fire and smolder damage. Does furious immolation add smolder without combustive action? Well, I did not pay attention to it and at least this is not written in tooltip.

I did finally test RoE on tab. The double debuff does work. A bit odd, I got 20% debuff for one stack and 35% debuff for two stacks. I only have rank 3 RoE. The debuff indeed too short to make good use on tab. The debuff lasts about 5 or 6 second and the cool down is much longer. I don't know if spell twisting works for this power. Anyway to wait for 2 times cool down to have a double debuff for 5 or 6 second is indeed a bad idea unless spell twisting can magically make the cool down much shorter.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options

Thank you for this great guide. I got two questions. How does combustive action debuff target? From tooltip, it only says about fire and smolder damage. Does furious immolation add smolder without combustive action? Well, I did not pay attention to it and at least this is not written in tooltip.

I did finally test RoE on tab. The double debuff does work. A bit odd, I got 20% debuff for one stack and 35% debuff for two stacks. I only have rank 3 RoE. The debuff indeed too short to make good use on tab. The debuff lasts about 5 or 6 second and the cool down is much longer. I don't know if spell twisting works for this power. Anyway to wait for 2 times cool down to have a double debuff for 5 or 6 second is indeed a bad idea unless spell twisting can magically make the cool down much shorter.

Yes, FI does apply smolder by itself and as for the 2nd question, any multi stage encounter (RoE on tab, Shield, Shard for example) does not have its cooldown reduced by spell twisting at all. I will add a note about that to my guide.
  • Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User

Yes, FI does apply smolder by itself and as for the 2nd question, any multi stage encounter (RoE on tab, Shield, Shard for example) does not have its cooldown reduced by spell twisting at all. I will add a note about that to my guide.
    Thank your for answering my questions. I noticed FI adds smolder today.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    @flyingleon Combustive Action's debuff does not only apply to smolder and fire damage, but all damage from every source against the debuffed target.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Fab,

Icy Terrain / Focussed Wizardy has upped my damage significantly...Thanks for the heads up!

Also, I have been scouring the forums to try to find some comments by you, that I know I have seen, with regards to Wheel of Elements. So, since I cannot find it, did you state that if you activate Wheel and then just dodge (shift) forward, that you still get the buff even though you may not get the "fire feet" animation? Or am I confusing that with something else?

Thanks

Niadain
  • Options
    niadan said:

Fab,

Icy Terrain / Focussed Wizardy has upped my damage significantly...Thanks for the heads up!

Also, I have been scouring the forums to try to find some comments by you, that I know I have seen, with regards to Wheel of Elements. So, since I cannot find it, did you state that if you activate Wheel and then just dodge (shift) forward, that you still get the buff even though you may not get the "fire feet" animation? Or am I confusing that with something else?

Thanks

Niadain

You are confusing that with something else. I stated that if you activated wheel while jumping forwards you can land on the fire buff, so for example, run forwards and press spacebar while holding forwards and at the same time activate the wheel. You will notice you land on the fire buff.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    Thanks.."Wheel" give it a try. damn that was bad...but could not resist.

Edit: Worked like a charm...TY again.
    Post edited by niadan on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    So, I have added a note to the MoF thaum build on single target. If you often run tiamat, heralds or any other fight with a big single target fight and many CW's, MoF thaum actually has the potential to do the highest single target damage of any class in the game, (higher than gwf). I have added a note on the general method for gimping your character to achieve that. Bear in mind that only works in fights with large numbers of players (10+) and it only works on single target. An explanation of why is in the notes on smolder. Also, going with such a build will lower your damage by a large margin outside of single target fights and it is not a viable build for anything other then pissing off GWF's in dragon herald runs.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User

it is not a viable build for anything other then pissing off GWF's in dragon herald runs.

That alone just bought u like 99% of CW community :dizzy:

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    Added a section on calculating survivability, a more effective version of "gearscore" or "item level".
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Great job fab. Keep it up!
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    jugger71jugger71 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 252 Arc User
    Excellent read. Every aspiring CW should certainly read this and many "BiS" or "Tier 1" CWs should read as well. Full of great information.

Two glaring weaknesses I found while reading is the lack of credit given to the encounter Sudden Storm. An excellent encounter that has rarely left my bar. The other being Chilling Presence as an offhand choice. I go against the grain(because I do that for some unknown reason) and do not use Icy Veins but do use Chilling Control. I also use the Chilling Presence offhand feature. I wont claim it to be the best of choices and is more than likely a playstyle choice I have made.

Nevertheless thank you very much for your time and effort.

• Options
    jugger71 said:

Excellent read. Every aspiring CW should certainly read this and many "BiS" or "Tier 1" CWs should read as well. Full of great information.

Two glaring weaknesses I found while reading is the lack of credit given to the encounter Sudden Storm. An excellent encounter that has rarely left my bar. The other being Chilling Presence as an offhand choice. I go against the grain(because I do that for some unknown reason) and do not use Icy Veins but do use Chilling Control. I also use the Chilling Presence offhand feature. I wont claim it to be the best of choices and is more than likely a playstyle choice I have made.

Nevertheless thank you very much for your time and effort.

They are playstyle choices. I find if you use focused wizardry (which I am using in my build) then disintegrate is a more powerful tool in your rotation then sudden storm. In the encounter section I did list sudden as an alternative. As for chilling presence, its a playstyle choice. I find you get more damage off of the additional storm spell procs (which can crit) and I find the extra crit from critical conflagration to be more useful, which is why I recommend going that route in my guide.
  • Options
    willson#2163 willson Member Posts: 87 Arc User

it is not a viable build for anything other then pissing off GWF's in dragon herald runs.

That alone just bought u like 99% of CW community :dizzy:

(Sin)cerely
    Kain
    Lol. Yes, Shut up and take my money! :)

This discussion has been closed.