test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bonus companions not account wide!

Comments

• yetweallfalldownyetweallfalldown Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    Per my last post, I wanted to make sure that I followed up before the official weekend hit. I spoke to some folks about this yesterday, but I still don't have a resolution at this time. Will pick discussions back up after everyone is back from the weekend. I'll probably have something more closer to the middle of next week.

Just giving the official "conversations are still going, but haven't approached a conclusion yet" comment.

Communications Manager - Perfect World Entertainment
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    Per my last post, I wanted to make sure that I followed up before the official weekend hit. I spoke to some folks about this yesterday, but I still don't have a resolution at this time. Will pick discussions back up after everyone is back from the weekend. I'll probably have something more closer to the middle of next week.

Just giving the official "conversations are still going, but haven't approached a conclusion yet" comment.

Are there any scenarios you can reveal at this point? Are you considering making the accounts account-wide or is that off the table? Btw. I now have 5 Slaads, 5 Scorpion and one Spider at the Reward Claims Agent.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

The clear cut solution will cost you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Your company, assuming you are paid, has paid you more money to write the "we are still discussing this" posts than it would cost them to simply honor the deal. At this point PWE/Cryptic is losing money just talking about this, with no hope of a return on investment because A - the deals over and B - the people who are impacted are probably done spending any money at all.

In reality, since you gave out 5 BoE versions of the companions now, allowing people to sell them..you have actually COST yourselves even more money (the 2-3 million I could get for the 4 extra Slaad's I have would equal a lot of zen I dont have to buy).

BoP all the current Spiders, Scorpions and Slaads out there, flip the flag to make them account unlocks, and honor your word. Every minute spent talking about it loses you money, loses you respect, and loses you future zen purchases. If you can simply just cross something out and be able to not honor stuff, who is going to partake anymore?
  • ldedric1ldedric1 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Well all previously planned transactions regarding buying zen are off the table, I'll just buy what little zen I will use anymore with AD.

Cheers :)
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    chrystlynn wrote: »

Add all of this in-game disappointment to the company merging with PWE (incorporated in the Cayman Islands), going private (no longer listed on NASDAQ), only trading at 13x earnings last year with a really freaky chart, all the "right-sizing" going on at Cryptic and it really starts to get you thinking. All of that is public knowledge so hopefully I won't get edited or banned for stating it.

Why was this allowed to remain, when it states EXACTLY the same information that I shared with the forum.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Let me just put my view into simple, straightforward words, like I'd use them with friends:

So you made a mistake? Ah, no matter, happens. To all of us. So, now see to setting that right...

...oh, you don't? Can't? Don't deem that necessary? Appeal to our lenience? and rather shamelessly? Don't keep your promises? Weeellll...

...since we're long friends, I can accept grudgingly that - good thing this is out now. We can still have a beer together, chat, and play games.

But lending you stuff, and having business involving real money, well,...

On a side note: The indifference regarding fixes to certain enchantments, e.g., IMHO falls under the same category. Your tooltips promise something, which you do not uphold. Or, in one case, where you initially did keep your promise and then covertly and insiduously stopped upholding your - still unamended, so not even corrected - advertised benefit.

So far I believed there is a tacit agreement: You made a good and fun game, and have invested a lot in advance, and have running costs. So I thought it a matter of decency to keep buying stuff from you at rather, erm, high-ish prices even though I often enough absolutely didn't need it. Now you seem to consider decency - keeping you word - apparently an unnecessary or undesireable ballast...

...quid pro quo, huh?
    "All content listed here is subject to change." - Posted after a major snafu that cost people money that Cryptic happily collected. Ever a semi-respectable company would at least offer a refund for the change.

All this note says to me is: "We are not going to proof read, we are not going to be bound by our words or actions. This deal may or may not change, before or after you have participated, during or after the promotion is active."

Something tells me if I start running around claiming I'm selling Toyota's for 5 grand, and then started handing out Toy Yoda dolls and cashing the checks - I might get in trouble.

And again, as I stated previously, this will cost you NOTHING to correct. Most companies would LOVE to be able to correct a major mistake for free. Yet you need to "discuss it". Nothing in this promotion was overly powerful, game breaking stuff. Most of the people probably didn't even really want it - till you refused to give it to them. Now its more the principle than the product.
  • neirgaraneirgara Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    Don't understand me wrong, I also would like to get one for each character redeemable as often as I like (as long as I don't have one in my inventory).

But why is everyone trying to nail them on a wording, that is inaccurate?

"Account-Wide unlock" could also be interpreted as "One of each in total for the whole account but redeemable by a character of your choice".

Or is there actually a detailed information as to what the term means and includes, or some evidence, that our interpretation is the only valid one?
  • rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    neirgara wrote: »
    Don't understand me wrong, I also would like to get one for each character redeemable as often as I like (as long as I don't have one in my inventory).

"Account-Wide unlock" could also be interpreted as "One of each in total for the whole account but redeemable by a character of your choice".

Or is there actually a detailed information as to what the term means and includes, or some evidence, that our interpretation is the only valid one?

Because in the whole time since the beta opened that I've been playing, every time they have used this wording in the past, it has explicitly meant one for every character, and when companions were single-redemption BoE, they would also explicitly say that. It was even admitted the only reason this happened was because they copy-pasted from an old promotion where the companions WERE account-wide, and didn't proofread it well enough.

In fact, here is the promotion I suspect they copy-pasted from.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/3039353-get-bonus-rewards-in-neverwinter!

Most importantly, if we let them get away with redefining what 'account-wide unlock' means, who knows what they'll start redefining next. That's why we're after them on this wording. They used a specific phrase that DID have a specific meaning, and they should honor it.
    I want a Drow Merc...
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance

That is a fairly large stretch, and would be in direct conflict with what they have meant with that in the past.
    greyloche wrote: »
    then in a patch or two. NERF. That "death slaad" becomes a "mildly uncomfortable Itch Slaad."

Honestly, I don't even care. We all know the slaad nerf is coming, the active bonus is ridiculous right now. All of the past account-wide promo companions have been fairly useless. I just want them account-wide.
  • mersenneprimemersenneprime Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    greyloche wrote: »
    The longer this takes, and the longer we all complain about it, the more i expect the following to happen.

they come back and say. ok, we will make it an account wide unlock. anyone that sold one, great, you made some AD.
    As I stated before, there should be no "have your cake, and eat it too".

IMO, the best option is to make a copy of the item so that there's one account wide and one BoE. Both of which (once learned) point to the same companion in the database. (I don't know how the program is actually set up as far as the database to know if this is feasible or not, but the equivalent should be somehow doable.)
    Then check to see if all of them are on the single account that qualified (whether still on the vendor, or learned by characters).
    -If the answer is yes, then the vendor converts to the account wide item, plus we get 1000 zen for them taking so long to discuss/resolve.
    -If no, then they remain the BoE item, and those users can keep or sell any they have remaining.
    then in a patch or two. NERF. That "death slaad" becomes a "mildly uncomfortable Itch Slaad."

and when we all complain they can say, well, we honored the agreement. and the ToS says we can change any feature when we want. so its all good.
    The nerf (which will happen) is irrelevant to whether or not they've honored the advertisement.

Honestly, I just wanted the pets for my TR for flavor. But I didn't want them so badly that I'd have purchased if they weren't account-wide.

Whenever I make a purchase, I balance value of what I'm getting vs the cost. For example, IMO, the hero of the north pack will never be worth the pricetag until they offer it at a 50% discount (or more). OTOH, I've purchased the rest of the packs, because the $ cost roughly matched the game value.

In the game, I'm @Knickknacks.

Not sure if inexperienced or trollbaiting...

Mounts, bags, companions from packs have the tag "Account wide unlock" and allow each char to pick up one and it's BoP. You can even ditch the item and pick up a fresh one later, just you can only have one in your inventory. In the case of companions from code promos, you can even have more than one, sitting in the "idle" tab".

Multiple examples within this game work the way we interpret it, so, certainly, your interpretation is a definitely invalid one.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User

"Account-wide" has always meant "claimable on each and every character on your account", while "Single claim" or "Claimable only once" has been used to refer to items which are only available one time, on one character.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums

Because in the whole time since the beta opened that I've been playing, every time they have used this wording in the past, it has explicitly meant one for every character, and when companions were single-redemption BoE, they would also explicitly say that. It was even admitted the only reason this happened was because they copy-pasted from an old promotion where the companions WERE account-wide, and didn't proofread it well enough.

In fact, here is the promotion I suspect they copy-pasted from.
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/3039353-get-bonus-rewards-in-neverwinter!

Most importantly, if we let them get away with redefining what 'account-wide unlock' means, who knows what they'll start redefining next. That's why we're after them on this wording. They used a specific phrase that DID have a specific meaning, and they should honor it.

So it's customary law, meaning "interpretation depends on the one that got applied most often"? Sounds valid. Your last argument is a very good one and I agree.

I was just a little bit confused because of so many arguments and comparisons, that refer to clear definitions instead of this.

Then let's hope the best. :)

@suicidalgodot

Neither trollbait nor inexperienced. Was just not sure, what everyone is trying to do here because of partly inappropriate arguments. So I just wanted some confirmation. Luckily I got it. :)
    ...'fraid "middle of the week" can mean anything between Tue 09:00 (which it didn't ehre, obvoiusly) to Thu, 17:00. PDT, ofc.

At least that would be common sense. One could cynically argue that "middle of the week" is all that comes after the week's beginning and before the week('s)end. So Friday before driving home would fit into that description, too...

(Well, mildly saracstic, but not meant to provoke or incite - just a pun.)
    edited July 2015
    Well, it was constructive, wasn't it?

...keeping my eyes peeled and upholding the truce, but expecting... ...something. Actually news when the acc-wide unlock will take effect, if Cryptic wants me to enter my billing information into their data mask ever again. Before the UTC weekend - the news, at least...

Also, these comments of mine should in no way be interpreted as criticism against yetweallfalldown's efforts - many thanks there. Neither as a threat - not spending money here in the future is just the logical consequence of deals going sour. A decapitated child shies away from guilloutines, huh?

It just shouldn't be a topic at all...
    I do not envy yetweallfalldown's position on this matter. Let us please not kill the messenger, here - he (or she) is probably just as eager to get some official response from his/her higher-ups, so they can finally put this issue to bed...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    He alone did not make the decision... it will ultimately be a corporate decision.
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I do not envy yetweallfalldown's position on this matter. Let us please not kill the messenger, here - he (or she) is probably just as eager to get some official response from his/her higher-ups, so they can finally put this issue to bed...

It's only natural that people vent anger to the closest source available. And somewhat justified, because he/she gets paid for it.
    j0shi82 wrote: »

It's only natural that people vent anger to the closest source available. And somewhat justified, because he/she gets paid for it.

I can accept the first part of your statement without issue. The second part, however, is patently false. A community liason is NOT there to get abused by the public - sure, their job is to interact with us, but only as long as the discourse is constructive.
    j0shi82 wrote: »

People shoot the messenger and wonder, why there is no communication? o.O
  • relkindxrelkindx Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I'm still waiting for an answer
  • mersenneprimemersenneprime Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    relkindx wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for an answer
    I think we all are.

In the game, I'm @Knickknacks.
    edited July 2015
    *sighs heavily and glances at the clock*

I don't understand why this is something that needs to be discussed to this degree. It costs NOTHING to fix this, but this will be an incident that we will warn new players about every time any other promotion is ever run. Do you want to be the company that you can't trust, or the company that keeps their word, albeit after weeks of 'discussion' first?
  • mavfoxmavfox Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I've been checking in regularly in hopes of good news. Nothing but disappointment so far though.
  • cptwbangcptwbang Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I just recieved a response from the GM 5 minutes ago telling me it was only good for once per account. About 5 Minutes ago. Waiting for a response asking why when it was stated account wide. But judging from this forum it looks like I'll be lucky if I hear from them again.
  • aventriaventri Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I definitely feel everyone's frustration with this issue. After caring for as long as the issue has existed, it's easy to give up. It takes a lot of energy to press for your contracted end of a bargain. And I know that both sides probably feel short changed. If PWE really intended only to give us 1 pet of each type, then I'm sure that giving out account wide pets would rub them the wrong way (a potential lack of revenue for people not needing to join in future promotions). We, the player base, feel cheated cause most of know how the English language works and what was said was not delivered.

But let's look at this another way: Some of the people who play the game bought enough for 1 "unlock", some for 2, others for 3. The cheapest unlock would set a player back roughly $50 while others could be spending more money for items they find worthwhile. This was easily a $200 event for some players who wanted to fully participate. Keeping in mind that only a fraction of the people are vocal enough to leave a comment or even visit the forums, there's probably hoards of people upset by this deal that PWE profited thousands of dollars from. Profit that came from a clearly written promise that went unfulfilled. And why would anyone trust to pay into this? Because just like the reason for the "mix-up" it was similar to other deals that had account unlocks, except that this bonus companion event was even more restrictive (buying certain items and not just charging amounts of zen). Let's face it, we're gamers, we know that the harder something is to accomplish, the better the reward. So it made sense, not just at face value from what was written, but mentally, the spirit of the deal was sound.

But now we have this... Weeks later, we're getting scraps when we should have a seat at the table. The longer this goes, the more people will lose interest, cause it's hard to care for this long. But let's not incentivize PWE to make deals like this that are now "subject to change." If they can put this behind them without satisfying the written deal that they made to us, then they profit from our apathy.

I continue to hope that this gets resolved appropriately for not only myself, but for all of us as a whole. As a whole we can represent the people who literally fund the game. Other threads won't have nearly as many funders or nearly as focused an issue as spending money.

This logging of complaints on the forums is just the first step to fixing our grievance. If settled/fulfilled, then we can all go our own ways, if not, there are ways in real life where people can arbitrate their issues with bugs, exploits, and breaking of rules. o:)
  • soltaswordsoltasword Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I am not sure what anyone can do at this point except just don't spend anymore money on the game. So far, there seems to be no answer other than what has been given. If they don't make the item(s) account wide as stated then I would say they were just not a company to support in any way. They basically took everyone's money and then didn't deliver on what they took the money for. At least at this point. If they come through and make this right, then that goes in their favor. But still, any other promotion from this point on isn't going to be well received by those that have been burnt in this one. Not a real good way to run a business in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.