test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• pitmonster#5684 pitmonster Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    About the only gnome I would want to play would be a tinker gnome which is more of a race/class thing. Would like to see a bird like race or a dog like race, mostly just for the locomotion animation and looks. The stats are typically not that important overall.
  • chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User

dionchi said:

dionchi said:

So if Neverwinter introduces a new character race, is anyone {else} going to have to delete an existing character to play that new race character?

Crossing my fingers for something like a “Change Race” token that allows one characters accumulated the BoP, Bound to Character items will just be transferred to a new race character instead of facing the prospect of losing everything that character has accumulated.

I see the rename and race change tokens are now working... so no worries ~

Or you can buy extra character slots through the Zen store. They are pretty cheap, comparatively speaking. TBH - given how much added $$$ Cryptic makes off extra alts I'm surprised they charge anything for them.
    Not if you have your character slots maxed out...
  • caldochaud#4880 caldochaud Member Posts: 213 Arc User
    Inasmuch as I want to see playable undead (Vampires/Lich/Baelnorn) and yes, I would gladly buy that race unlock; that nostalgic part of me that was shaped by Neverwinter Nights in long days past still wishes for Gnomes. You already have the animations for the Svirfneblin. Just add some graphical customization and racial benefits (EG: "Born Artificer" +1 Intelligence, "Nimble Fingers" Crafting Bonus, "Resourceful" resource-gathering bonus, etc.) and Bob's yer uncle!
    "Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire." - Sir Bernard Williams
  • langollerlangoller Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I'd love to see new races or existing like the mer people in drowned shore campaign and such, maybe some creative races or those in lores already existing to be added, free and pay. while on races may I ask why teilfings can't get wings? I know this would insinulate they can fly but think about it. maybe some lore/etc animal species since we already started dragonborns.
  • unscchaos#2516 unscchaos Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2018
  • astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    How about a insectoid character race.....like Antecs (Antecs/D&D/3.5 Race).
    Post edited by astrotiger5 on
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    Heck. If we want to go all out - Half-fiends or Half-Celestials ftw.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • langollerlangoller Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    might we ask also why we can't get long hair like some of the NPCs? many times I notice they get things especialy in foundary of you edit bodies that we as players fail to get in own advanced creation process, so why are we not getting the same options as NPCs in the game and as many races as we see, they are already in the game so granted we'd expect to be able to play some of them or at least have the option later on in development.
  • eztigmaxeztigmax Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    The Revenant (undead) too
  • nyghtshroude#9048 nyghtshroude Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    How about a half celestial? http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Aasimar

How about a vampire race? It can be balanced by weakened power in daylight. You are given a protection amulet from the sun. You are an undead controlled by Neverwinter sorcerers.

Also a Lich race. You can only be a warlock or wizard

• chidionchidion Member Posts: 446 Arc User

How about a vampire race? It can be balanced by weakened power in daylight. You are given a protection amulet from the sun. You are an undead controlled by Neverwinter sorcerers.

I'm of the opinion that vampire isn't a "Race" since theoretically any blooded creature of any race can be turned into a vampire. Pretty much the same for Liches I believe, just about any race of character can be turned into a Lich. At best I think they may be considered a new "Class" of character, but not a new race.

As for the vampire's time of day power balance for daylight/darkness... how many areas in the game have you noticed a time of day transition? It's either eternally day or eternally night in most areas, with the only exception I'm aware of being in Barovia.

Half celestial however would be a good choice for a new character race and one I'd like to see considered.

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2018
    chidion said:

I'm of the opinion that vampire isn't a "Race" since theoretically any blooded creature of any race can be turned into a vampire. Pretty much the same for Liches I believe, just about any race of character can be turned into a Lich. At best I think they may be considered a new "Class" of character, but not a new race.

As for the vampire's time of day power balance for daylight/darkness... how many areas in the game have you noticed a time of day transition? It's either eternally day or eternally night in most areas, with the only exception I'm aware of being in Barovia.

Half celestial however would be a good choice for a new character race and one I'd like to see considered.

Indeed. Vampires and Lycanthropes used to be an infliction then they became a race for an edition (3rd and/or 4th - I forget off hand) and now in 5th Edition they are once again Inflictions and not a Race. The same goes for Liches and any other "undead" or transformed state. These states would be awesome features to become though for any Race and Class. Similar to how Elder Scrolls Online allows for any race and class to become either a Vampire or Werewolf.
  • warlock220warlock220 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I don't know why, but I would like to play as goblin.

But I certainly want goblin rogue named Styx. Ok, I guess I know why.
  • mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    I actually see this happening. I mean really the ascetic capital of Nathlekh, which is the city of the cats. The catfolk is perfect to bring to Neverwinter! https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Nathlekh

At least I can finally have an excuse to have some actual origin and I messed up on my origins a bit. However, lots of trickster rogues come from the area, Lake of the Long Arm on the Dragon Coast. So my excuse is that I was stranded as a little girl, lost my family at sea, and survived on Nathlekh. My character backstory will be slightly complete. :3
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    MWK,

Calimshan seem to have lot of rakshasa the planar cat people, mostly tigers, also home of begger factions and has a thief guild. those rakshasa already deep in high rank nobles.
    if devs had more time, it would have lot of rooftop adventures, tight rope walking skill, scale the walls. vast unexplored Vault of Rama-Tut just barely discovered, need to find ancient relic to expose evil Rakshasa and to unite begger factions.
    we would like to have some playable rakshasa who want to redeem or go mercenary as companions.
  • mwkmwk Member Posts: 401 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Honestly I don't know much lore at all and personally I confused alot. All the worshiping of Nobanion and Sharess in that region. It had a significant population of mundane cats (including lions) and it's mysterious rulers were known as the Cat Lords. Also the disease feline lycanthropes and I confused that too of how catfolk came to be I guessed or so I thought; I was so wrong. The population race is humans, but I thought cat folk lived there too. I have no idea and D&D resources are so vague, you start to think differently and so wrong. Anyways catfolk still would be a nice addition to the game. Yet if I'm still wrong, :astonished: darn it I have no idea. Is there a miss-link? Shou live there correct at Nathlekh. Now how did feline lycanthropes come around as some sort of disease? Off topic, but PM me please.

EDIT: I READ 90% CAT FOLK.

http://nitharos.wikia.com/wiki/Nathlekh click around is weird but it's there. Ok did the feline lycanthropes create the cat folk?

Final edit: Yeah I'm confused.
    Post edited by mwk on
  • e1ementoe1emento Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 91 Arc User
    This thread and the one on Class seem to be getting nowhere for the longest time. Will we ever see a new class or race any time this year?
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    nwk, you just gave a great idea for one of factions for infected with were-tiger, i like it. more of that make better story lines for Calimshan, i got a cool title for Calimishan Mod, "Sands of Visions"
  • omega13#2190 omega13 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Tabaxi! I hope that the "Nipsey" model can be adapted for player use … or *maybe* the Star Trek Online folks can send some Caitians our way! ;)

PLEASE … and THANKS!
  • All the above plus Lizard folk, Gobln and Tabaxi! Seeing Tabaxi with the NPC in Lost City in Chult just makes it so much harder to wait. They exist dang it... You can make an NPC of one.... :)
    e1emento said:

This thread and the one on Class seem to be getting nowhere for the longest time. Will we ever see a new class or race any time this year?

I suggest you watch the last driftwood tavern twitich.... we got a spoiler that a new race and/or class is coming this year. As others have said and because of the Tales of Old bard I have a suspicion that it with be both of those.

Frankly I find both lack luster and uninteresting. Especially a bard. No one really explains why they want to play one. In pen and paper D&D I can see the role playing aspects but in an action game??? Are they going to bore their opponents to death?
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Didn't watch the stream but Tabaxi was ruled out due to something with the game engine. Gnome seems to the likely choice, sometime in mod 17 or 18.

Mentioned this before, but Gnomes are probably already in the game. Nothing lists them as such, but the Gemcutter temporary structure in the Stronghold is run by someone who appears like a forest gnome. I suspect that Letotto Falstead and some of the other artisans in the worskhop are gnomes. Same size as halflings but features are more elvish.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User
    pitshade said:

Didn't watch the stream but Tabaxi was ruled out due to something with the game engine. Gnome seems to the likely choice, sometime in mod 17 or 18.

Mentioned this before, but Gnomes are probably already in the game. Nothing lists them as such, but the Gemcutter temporary structure in the Stronghold is run by someone who appears like a forest gnome. I suspect that Letotto Falstead and some of the other artisans in the worskhop are gnomes. Same size as halflings but features are more elvish.

At this point I just want something that is truly different from the models already in game. Not a halfling or human or dwarf mod. Something NEW please.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2019

pitshade said:

At this point I just want something that is truly different from the models already in game. Not a halfling or human or dwarf mod. Something NEW please.
    Unfortunately this is the least likely option.
    If the models were vastly different from the existing models then not only would the characters models themselves need to be created and animated but armor models would as well for every single class.

That's a very daunting task. Consider the lack of Dragonborn helmets. Think of that on steroids.
    If they ever chose to have a non-humanoid or vastly different humanoid model then the customization options would be necessarily limited because they would not be able to justify spending the amount of time creating armor models.

Re-usability is a huge factor in game design. The biggest reason why humanoids (the body shape, not the actual race) are the most common foes isn't just because humanoids are one of the most common creature shapes in D&D but more importantly because the models, skeletons and animations can be re-used.

The first question asked when choosing to create a monster with a new body, skeleton and animation isn't how cool is it, but rather "can the body and skeleton be used for different monsters in the future?" If the answer is no then it either needs to be a very important monster like a Boss or critical for the story as directed by WotC.

And alas, there are very few non-humanoid player races to begin with. This is not only problematic because those races aren't the most iconic races and therefore less likely to be considered to be added but also the least likely to have re-usable models and animations even if they would like the add the race.
    At this point I wouldn't even mind a kobolt. I am not the biggest fan of the HoF campaign but the Kobold in the document quest is pretty funny and makes me want to run one. This is just a small version of a Tiefling and Dragonborn, aka with a tail and a odd head. Modding down outfits should not be too hard.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    For a kobold, no, but those are "humanoid." That is as long as there's no built in visuals for boots in leg armor as they wouldn't be able to have visuals for boots.

Different model it typically means something like a Yuan-ti or Centaur.

However...monsters being player classes is generally frowned upon. People seem to love the idea of being a kobold but it really isn't an appropriate player class. That's my personal opinion but yeah...the IP really doesn't tend to condone monster races as player races.

For a kobold, no, but those are "humanoid." That is as long as there's no built in visuals for boots in leg armor as they wouldn't be able to have visuals for boots.

Different model it typically means something like a Yuan-ti or Centaur.

However...monsters being player classes is generally frowned upon. People seem to love the idea of being a kobold but it really isn't an appropriate player class. That's my personal opinion but yeah...the IP really doesn't tend to condone monster races as player races.

They were a playable class in D&D 3.5, not sure about v5. Tieflings were at one point considered "monsters" but then accepted as standard player races. And of course Dragon Born are just a poor man's Dragonlance Draconians.
  • kemnimtarkaskemnimtarkas Member Posts: 838 Arc User

At this point I wouldn't even mind a kobolt. I am not the biggest fan of the HoF campaign but the Kobold in the document quest is pretty funny and makes me want to run one. This is just a small version of a Tiefling and Dragonborn, aka with a tail and a odd head. Modding down outfits should not be too hard.

Oh jeez, anything but Deekin. Please - ANYTHING but that.
  • acheron#1457 acheron Member Posts: 1 New User
    tbh i am an avid connoisseur of dnd and have played many different characters and templates but i think a lich or other undead template would be fantastic as i think the only mmo game that has one is WOW and im broke
  • epicfenix43epicfenix43 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    in D & d 5th edition there is a total of 36 races, but only 27 fall within the setting of the forgotten Realm, but in D & d there have never been undead Vampires or wolves, as they are playable breeds, they are all Npc monsters, those who say these tricks can be seen that they did not play the Pnp (or not they ever had a "slight information on the universe of D & d" ), I know I can be tough but, these foolish and ridiculous statements of people who say they want undead breeds or Vampires and werewolves make no sense are out lore and against the canons of the PnP tradition and role-playing games on D & d in itself.

You can see for yourself through this link what breeds are possible in the 5th edition:

dndbeyond.com/races

Among these breeds that I would like to see in play are Aasimar and gnomes.but if I want to be honest I would like to see more gnomes for two simple reasons, the first and because the gnomes are part of the basic breeds of the player's manual in the normal D & d Pnp, don't see this breed again after 5-6 years of life in Neverwinter well ... and a bit ridiculous as a thing, plus with their bonus to inteligence +2 they could be good Wizards, But this will always depend on how Cryptic always hopes to implement in the game. Aasimar add it as an alternative to Theafling (in an aesthetic sense but also for the bonuses it could offer). But there are so many breeds in the 5th edition that Criptic is spoiled for choice (if he has time and resources for it) but if I had to make a choice ... I certainly would like to see gnomes.