test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why isnt Champions darker?

zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Champions Online Discussion
when everyone allmost "besides a couple of crazy ppl dressing up as rainbow clows" is a dark hero?

i mean we all got them dont we. and somewhere in a dark corner of our mind we want a darker game.

it will generate money and PR for the game.

so my basic question is why ?

is it becouse of certain bosses at work or, i mean there is a dark version of CO allready right?
just need to make it into reality.

vibora bay is ok for darker heroes the enemies doesnt feel like something from spongebob or something atleast.

please make it cryptic/perfect world/whatever.

-cheers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    City of Villains was such a smashing success...

And the 90s are thankfully over.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    City of Villains was such a smashing success...

it was for alot of ppl yes.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    zer303606 wrote: »
    it was for alot of ppl yes.

People, I'd agree with, a lot, maybe when it was shiny and new but if you wanted to play single player mode Redside was the place to do it not too long after it was released.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    champions is a silver age setting - so still relatively bright and breezy in tone.

and yes the is a Dark Champions PnP setting that Cryptic also own but havent really dipped into for the online game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Champions
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    According to statements from some of the folks after Paragon Studios was eliminated and they didn't have to worry about their jobs, CoV was in fact a resounding failure. They said that most of the sales seemed to have been driven by the other features in that expansion, and that playing villains was never that popular.

And if you're under the impression that the vast majority of characters in CO are edgy antiheroic redblack demon ninjas who were thrown out of Hell for scaring Satan, you might want to actually leave Club Caprice once in a while and patrol the streets. You'll find a lot more characters like Caliga, or Offender, or Thundrax, or Captain Punchfist, or...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    According to statements from some of the folks after Paragon Studios was eliminated and they didn't have to worry about their jobs, CoV was in fact a resounding failure. They said that most of the sales seemed to have been driven by the other features in that expansion, and that playing villains was never that popular.

And if you're under the impression that the vast majority of characters in CO are edgy antiheroic redblack demon ninjas who were thrown out of Hell for scaring Satan, you might want to actually leave Club Caprice once in a while and patrol the streets. You'll find a lot more characters like Caliga, or Offender, or Thundrax, or Captain Punchfist, or...

nah man. its just observations from ren center and such in all these years.
    dont care about 5 ppl with silverage heroes.
    im talking about all newcomers with red and black characters.
    i mean i got alot of toons myself and a couple of silver age ones.
    but im dark in heart so personally i wish this to happen
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Because this is Champions Online. Not Dark Champions Online.

So are you saying that "rainbow clown" can't be a dark hero?
    Wearing blackredder with spikes and pointy things, doesn't make a dark hero. It's causes just giggles among your fellow players.

Maybe most of us escape our dark corners of our mind into a game dressed as "rainbow clowns".

Your "need to make" does have some numbers showing there is a real need?

Most of the PewPew/SlashSlash game are allready about "dark gritty heroes".

I bet most of us are not too keen dressing up black leathers to be "darker heroes".
    I have high doubts of Cryptic making Dark Champions just because the way of Rainbow Clown Champions is doing.

Every blackredder new comer really should drop the *i'm bad. i'm bad. i'm really really bad* act and actually try the "rainbow clown".

And vampires/werewolfs/zombies have outgrown of their darkhero scene long time ago.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »

Every blackredder new comer really should drop the *i'm bad. i'm bad. i'm really really bad* act and actually try the "rainbow clown".

The black/red color palette makes for easy visually striking combinations with emotionally striking cultural connotations. I don't blame newbies for throwing together a blackredder with a background right out the the darkest days of the 90s. I was guilty of it myself (costume-wise, darkitydarkdarkgrimdark backgrounds weren't my thing) when I started CoH.

But then, as I played the game, and ran into the Rainbow Clowns, I saw there were more options with other colors and styles and found myself to be quickly one of them.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Because dark superhero settings are DEPRESSING.

Don't get me wrong, I love dark heroes. Most of my characters wear dark clothes, typically raise the dead and otherwise defile the fundamentals of what we consider to be wholesome, and generally have bare midriffs where I can manage it.
    I was raised in the 90s were every other comic had a brooding hero in dark colour pallette moping over killing someone.
    The first comic I read was one which was 30 pages of Batman patrolling Gotham, moping. No plot, no combat, just 30 pages of 'this city is sick, and I am the symptom of that sickness".
    I recently picked up the comic of Injustice: Gods Among Us and the dystopian alternate DC setting is honestly rather scary in how dark it is.

But quite frequently I get bored of this, especially if I do multiplayer stuff and don't just solo grind questionite. Why?

When everyone's dark, individually special, and brooding... It's the boy scout in primary colours that steals the show. The clown is superior to the mime, as the clown has an inner fire that the mime's intriguing silence cannot hope to match.
    It's much harder to be a Paladin than a Blackguard, and yet somehow more satisfying.

Champions is hella dark. Characters have traumatic backstories, the setting itself seems terrifyingly fragile when you know as much about the universe as I've picked up from the books.
    But the facade of Golden Age natures, the pristine city of Detroit... It's only skindeep.
    You know this, you've quested! This is a Metropolis-esque city with demon cultists and gang shootouts around every corner! This is where advanced technology is only BARELY on par with ancient magics that DO NOT REST!

This is where hope battles against despair, and it looks like they're equally matched, meaning it might not ever end.

It's as dark as you analyse it. Similar to my policy on villains (there is no heroic action that cannot be done for villainious reasons), there is very little in this setting that isn't slightly twisted if you look at it from the right perspective.

From the horror of bodysnatching holoemitter spies all the way to the futility of any action when you know there's possibility infinite worlds that may interact at the turn of a plot device, there is true cerebral horror in this world we play in.
    I don't know if it needs blatant darkness. I feel that ruins the awakening terror that all is lost and the juxtaposition of determination and hope laid against it.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zer303606 makes some pretty broad assumptions:

when everyone allmost "besides a couple of crazy ppl dressing up as rainbow clows" is a dark hero?

They are? News to me.
    i mean we all got them dont we. and somewhere in a dark corner of our mind we want a darker game.

Not particularly. I have a few "dark" characters, but they just represent a small corner of the types I make. I don't need the game to be darker. I'm a Bronze Age comic fan. Most of the "darkity dark" that followed seems annoyingly unimaginative and fun-sucking to me.
    it will generate money and PR for the game.

What reason do you have to believe that?
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The game has plenty of darker elements. One could say, too much of it... Play all the Comic Series and rest. Plenty of demons, death, nightmares and Darkness and all that. Or is there not?
    You can't change how people make their characters. One of the main points of Champions Online. Make a hero you want to make.
    Theres plenty of games where you cannot change how your character looks like.
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I have to say, I'd much rather adventure in a comic-book world that's more "four-color" than "dark." Living in a real world where there's so much unjust suffering, where morality seems awash in shades of grey, where corruption is pervasive yet covert, and as an individual I can feel so helpless... I find it empowering and renewing to spend time in a world where good and evil are clearly recognizable, where evil has a name and a face and can be opposed and defeated, and where truth, justice, honor, and compassion are ideals that people strive to live by.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tumblr_m6i75j6WXs1qfph1s.gif

We get all the darkity-darkness we need from the villains. Let somebody else build City of Punishers.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bulgarex wrote: »
    I have to say, I'd much rather adventure in a comic-book world that's more "four-color" than "dark." Living in a real world where there's so much unjust suffering, where morality seems awash in shades of grey, where corruption is pervasive yet covert, and as an individual I can feel so helpless... I find it empowering and renewing to spend time in a world where good and evil are clearly recognizable, where evil has a name and a face and can be opposed and defeated, and where truth, justice, honor, and compassion are ideals that people strive to live by.

{ how Zed feels about what bulgarex posted }
    -
    11th-Doctor-bowtiesarecool.jpg

I have only 18 heroes, a small number compared to many, but everyone is a Hero of the Sun and proud of it.

While Chocolate Rampage uses The Cursed Arche, this is mostly for the visual effects. Epidemic is actually a cloud of soothing milk chocolatey goodness that pacifies the criminals until the police can lock them up.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Play Vibora Bay Apocalypse.

Seriously.

In any case, it would be nice if CO took itself a little more seriously. Most of the mission content consists of "LOL POP CULTURE REFERENCE LOLOLOLOLOL! DERP!" without any further depth.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    i guess im the only one that wants more evil and darkness.
    sorry to hear that.
    you all make sence some deeper then others, but i remain in my quest for a dark champions online.

doesnt have to be black red with pointy things tho. as finn allmost said , i whould be more scared of a rainbow clown then a guy dressed in black leather and skulls.

but darkness doesnt have to be those things.

well there should be atleast an option for us ppl that dont want to dress up as rainbowman of the giddy sun of happyness. and fight mobs that are straight out of a morning cartoon.

i mean yea games are silly as it is, but it could be cooler.

not everyone wants to be spawn, some ppl just want a more mature story to live yourself into.

-my two dark cents

ps. hope i didnt offend any rainbow warriors out there lol.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    well there should be atleast an option for us ppl that dont want to dress up as rainbowman of the giddy sun of happyness.

There is, it's called Character Creator. And your imagination.
    i mean yea games are silly as it is, but it could be cooler.

Dark doesn't mean cooler.

ps. hope i didnt offend any rainbow warriors out there lol.

This is internet. You probably have.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    i mean dark is cooler for me atleast.

and its hard to make a "darker" toon with these silly mobs.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    See, that's the thing with super-heroes. It can encapsulate anything if you try to make it work. Light, dark, cowboy, god, assassin, wizard...there's room for everyone. To try and make it about only one way is more wrong than anything.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    See, that's the thing with super-heroes. It can encapsulate anything if you try to make it work. Light, dark, cowboy, god, assassin, wizard...there's room for everyone. To try and make it about only one way is more wrong than anything.

i can deal with that sure. if the mobs we are fighting where more gray side then light side.
    ii love the costume creator but it seems that my imagination is halted by the setting of the game.
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yes I think that Dr. Destroyer should randomly come out and blow up MC again killing all the citizens and corrupting their champions who will now attack each other 24/7. Woo PvP!
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    this is a very entertaining thread.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    DarkChampions.jpg
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    if you want to play a darker champions, try the console command unlit

/unlit 0.25 gives a lovely dark feel to the game.

unlit_zps39cb4849.jpg~original

(1 is default value)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    i dont think i meant the hue or gamma. doesnt have to rain and be all gotham all the time.
    just that needs more darkness thats all.
    -thanks for reading
  • Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ...I think they were jokes.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nah man. its just observations from ren center and such in all these years.
    dont care about 5 ppl with silverage heroes.
    im talking about all newcomers with red and black characters.
    i mean i got alot of toons myself and a couple of silver age ones.
    but im dark in heart so personally i wish this to happen

yes the deadpool clones, batman clones and all the other things that the new people think they are being original in copying.

Or the people, who for some strange reason, think being 'bad' is cool. It's not.

same as the amount of bloatform characters- why isn't everything huge.

all the near naked female- why isn't Millennium city a nudist colony.

Strangely in the time I've been playing, I've seen mostly other ones.
    WE did have a plague of Black & grey when Night Avenger At was released.

BY the way, I have just over 100 characters. The only one which can be described as a red/blacker is Dead Fool- a zombie clown.
    and to zer303606,

which mobs ;

purple gang- criminals
    VIPER_ international criminal
    Mind Inc- take over the world criminals
    Argent- business criminals
    DEMON-magical criminals
    DR Moreau- thinks turning people into manimals is a good idea
    Telios- thinks people make good components
    Gadroon- invading the planet
    Qulaar- invading the planet

How exactly are any of these light side?
    darkness in what way?
    more suicides, drug use, get taken over by horrors from another dimension(comic series), blowing up of innocent civilians,etc.

This is not a comic book series where they have to put as much drama into it as a (un)reality TV show, in order to sell.
    Go try DCUO and see the Villain missions, they are exactly the same as the Hero ones but form the other direction.... well except one where you kill exactly the same people for exactly the same reason.
    and here we get to the real reason;
    I like this , so change it to be the way I like
    Edit: one last bit.

Dark champions is a skill based game. IT is based on normal people, not super heroes.
    The people themselves are not required to be dim, dark, frustrated vigilantes out to get vengeance on whoever killed their parents, sister, brother, pet dog.

It is merely that they have to be sneakier and use the dark to hide.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    OP is right, the game looks like it is overlit by a ceiling full of flourescent tubes or maybe it's that moon that is so big it would destroy all life on any planet it orbited.

Sunrise and sunset in MC are kind of nice, but the other 23 hours of the game's time looks too bright. There's demons all over Downtown but the lighting doesn't suggest there's evil lurking everywhere one bit. West side is so well lit the police could snipe all those criminals from a brightly colored hot air balloon with old tyme music inspiring the turkey shoot.

Go into a skanky sewer or crusty otherworldly crypt, same global lightning.
    The unlit command really shows this, change that one setting and the whole world dips into darkness, all the myriad lamp posts and light bulbs in maps do absolutly nothing to generate light and/or cast shadows. Same goes for our powers, I'm surrounded by a big glow from my lightspeed, but it casts no real light.

Why is it like this? The graphics engine started its development before 2004 and it's pretty much stuck there.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I didn't read the whole thread and every post, just the first and maybe next 4 posts. But I'll go ahead and say this:

I think what you're trying to say is not really "a darker" champions. You want something more in tune with what is actually expected in real life, and have it brought and more pronounced here in the game.

A crime where people are actually killed infront of your heroes eyes.
    Graphic crimes involving things as horrific as ****, first degree murder, etc.
    Parts of the city where even super heroes despite being present, just don't give an aura of "safety".

What you are asking for what I feel, is that you want the ESRB rating of this game to go from "Teen", to "Mature". In so showing a more gritty, and frankly, more true approach in terrible calamities of the real world, and reflected here in the game.

In essence, I don't think you want a "darker" champions, but a more "real" champions where everything can't be saved by a super hero.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    And attempts at "reality" are almost always detrimental to the super-hero concepts, IMHO. Uncanny Valley sort of applies here too. You can only get so "real" with the concepts before it seems ridiculous and unexplainable.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    /unlit .2

Presto. Darker Champions.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    DarkChampions.jpg

BiffSmackwellFlawlessVictory.png?psid=1
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Short answer: Because the game background was written by comics nerds, not by a pack of soulless sociopathic blackredders. :)

Long (and more serious) answers: Because the game is based on a PnP superhero game created by Hero Games, in 1981, coinciding with the height of the Bronze Age of comics. The original Hero Games crew. particularly George MacDonald, conceived of the game as a love letter to mid-to-late 70s Marvel, and many of the earliest creations are pretty much Marvel knockoffs with the serial numbers barely filed.

Other authors joined the line over time. Some, like those who wrote Enemies III, gave it an silly, self-parodying feel, others (like me) added a more modern tone indicative of late Bronze age/early Iron Age books. When ICE bought Hero in 1987, they appointed Rob Bell as line editor. Rob aimed for a more serious tone. There was still no shared world supplement; the closest thing to one at the time, the villain compendium Classic Enemies, was written to bring the game into line with this tone (a Champions Universe book did come along toward the end of the ICE age, but did little to shape the direction of the line).

The Champions superteam were conceived in the late 1980s by Rob, who wanted a new team of archetypal heroes, both to introduce new players to the game, and to give the covers of Hero Games products a consistent look. (The rights to the previous archetypal team, the Guardians, were held by the small press comics company Heroic Publishing; the cheesecake tone of their comics was not especially endearing to ICE, and this spurred on the development of the Champions).

The line took a tumble in the mid-1990s, largely due to the misfortune of Hero's parent company ICE. ICE sold the rights to Champions to a company called CyberGames, who attempted to revive Champions in the late 90s as Champions: New Millennium with a (heavily criticized) Iron Age look and simplified mechanics. They essentially alienated their customer base without replacing them, and CNM was a failure, though the supplements for CNM are (IMO) quite underrated.

In 2002, when two long time fans and authors, Steve Long and Darren Watts, bought the rights for Hero, they reshaped the world and the Champions Universe further. Steve, for the most part, restrained his trademark dark age grittiness, though some of it made its way into various villain reconstructions, including Destroyer (though I had done my best to move Destroyer away from being a Doom clone ten years earlier in Classic Enemies and Day of the Destroyer). Darren took the lead on the Millennium City book, setting it in Detroit, and blowing it up (borrowing an element from CNM, where Destroyer destroyed San Francisco. Being more of a Silver age DC fan than any of the major previous contributors, Darren added certain Silver Age elements (like Doctor Silverback) that would receive prominence in the online version. Steve also (gleefully) removed some of the sillier elements of the game, notably CLOWN, a team of prankster supervillain clowns that were pretty divisive in fandom.

The Champions roster evolved to its current one when Steve Long took over, with Defender the only survivor of the original Champs team. They also published a version of Champions Universe that set the tone and established the background lore for what became this game.

In 2008, Cryptic Studios, in a bind when Marvel dropped their MMO, turned to Hero Games for a background to salvage their work. Jack Emmert had been a big Hero System fan, and he and Steve Long were on good terms. John Layman was hired as writer, and Bill Roper was brought in as executive producer. For some reason, it was decided that the game would have a very light, not-very-serious tone, at odds with much of the material in the actual license. Numerous nerdy pop culture references were thrown in; though some have used the terms "Silver Age" and "camp", in my opinion, it's probably more accurate to describe it as "nerd humor for people who don't know when to stop beating a joke into the ground".

I think it's safe to say the tone of these initial missions was not very well-received. From Vibora Bay on, the game assumed a more serious tone, and in places where the game delved into the mystical side of the Champions lore, which was largely the product of Allen Varney, Dean Shomshak and Allen Thomas, quite dark. It should also be noted that Layman did a very good (IMO) job with the tone of the Vibora Bay Apocalypse, which along with Resistance is probably the best piece of storytelling in the game. The game didn't completely abandon its light-hearted roots, sometimes to its cost (Green Dragon, Redsnake, I'm looking at you); for the most part, later additions reflected the tone of modern North American comic books much better than the launch missions, though even at launch, some of the higher level missions (late Canada, MonsterIsland, and Lemuria) reflect a more serious tone. But players' intial contact with the game came through missions featuring a lot of silly pop culture laiden references and those missions are the ones that shape most people's perceptions.

And that's the story of tone in Champions and Champions Online: originally based in Bronze Age Marvel, but with dozens of authors adding their own quirks and stylistic preferences to the works over the years, filtered through various iterations of the MMO production team. Personally, I like a mix of tones, and if I want to play an urban fantasy game or a dark gritty action game, there are better alternatives.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    DarkChampions.jpg

it was too much to hope that i would get to do the "adjust your gamma" joke. wasn't it.

anyhow, the early game was silly but check aftershock, it gets grimmer. and your aesthetic is up to you, you can choose to be funny or you can choose to be dark age.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited January 2015
    -Really liked Thundrax's history, there was a lot there I didn't know, even for Champions Online.

-Another note: In addition to the people who are the actual, full-/part-time writers on a game, a lot of missions and other text is written by devs whose specializations aren't necessarily writing. It's kinda like Duke Nukem and Starcraft, how much of the writing was pop culture references or snarky jokes. Those are just more fun to write, if you aren't trying to bring out a particular feel. (Note: This is me hypothesizing based on the sense of humor I've seen in the Cryptic culture, I don't know for sure that this is the case.)

-Definitely agree that Steel Crusade was good writing.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    -Really liked Thundrax's history, there was a lot there I didn't know, even for Champions Online.

-Another note: In addition to the people who are the actual, full-/part-time writers on a game, a lot of missions and other text is written by devs whose specializations aren't necessarily writing. It's kinda like Duke Nukem and Starcraft, how much of the writing was pop culture references or snarky jokes. Those are just more fun to write, if you aren't trying to bring out a particular feel. (Note: This is me hypothesizing based on the sense of humor I've seen in the Cryptic culture, I don't know for sure that this is the case.)

-Definitely agree that Steel Crusade was good writing.

i havent tried steel crusade yet as i dunno. im gonna try this asap.
    btw. you guys looking for writers by any chance? :p
    who will try to keep the game in teen rating.

and i think you meant canadascott btw ^^
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i havent tried steel crusade yet as i dunno. im gonna try this asap.
    btw. you guys looking for writers by any chance? :p
    who will try to keep the game in teen rating.

The very first mission of Steel Crusade is possibly one of the darkest and most disturbing one in the game. The rest of the missions are pretty fun, too, but be warned that when the final mission says "2 or more players recommended" they really mean it this time.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I didn't read the whole thread and every post, just the first and maybe next 4 posts. But I'll go ahead and say this:

I think what you're trying to say is not really "a darker" champions. You want something more in tune with what is actually expected in real life, and have it brought and more pronounced here in the game.

A crime where people are actually killed infront of your heroes eyes.
    Graphic crimes involving things as horrific as ****, first degree murder, etc.
    Parts of the city where even super heroes despite being present, just don't give an aura of "safety".

What you are asking for what I feel, is that you want the ESRB rating of this game to go from "Teen", to "Mature". In so showing a more gritty, and frankly, more true approach in terrible calamities of the real world, and reflected here in the game.

In essence, I don't think you want a "darker" champions, but a more "real" champions where everything can't be saved by a super hero.

im more of a tim burton darkness fan. but your idea sounds appealing. shame about the teen rating going away tho.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    and i think you meant canadascott btw ^^
    One of Scott's most popular and enduring characters, one he began back in PnP, is Thundrax. Scott, canadascott, Thundrax - he responds to just about any name that isn't outright abusive. :)

I've had the honor of fighting alongside Thundrax in a few Blood Moons, usually in my persona of Happifun Security System X-4. Dude definitely knows his stuff.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    One of Scott's most popular and enduring characters, one he began back in PnP, is Thundrax. Scott, canadascott, Thundrax - he responds to just about any name that isn't outright abusive. :)

I've had the honor of fighting alongside Thundrax in a few Blood Moons, usually in my persona of Happifun Security System X-4. Dude definitely knows his stuff.

ok sorry guys. i seen thundrax a couple of times in ren center. nice looking toon.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Even if CO had a Dark Champions Villain Side, I would completely ignore it
    Short answer: Because the game background was written by comics nerds, not by a pack of soulless sociopathic blackredders. :)

Yet for some ODD reason, this game Attracts Horders of Blackredders... which makes me sad

Why trying to be Evil, Dark and EDGY (OW THE EDGE!) in such a colourful and Whimsical game like CO...
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    avianos sees the great divide:

Yet for some ODD reason, this game Attracts Horders of Blackredders... which makes me sad

Why trying to be Evil, Dark and EDGY (OW THE EDGE!) in such a colourful and Whimsical game like CO...

On one side, comic geeks. On the other, gamers. Oh, sure, there's some crossover, but anecdotally it seems to me to be predominantly "gamer first, then comic fan" types. People for whom the point of games is "destroying stuff". Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that. They can play their game and I'll play mine.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well, it's unlikely THIS is the only game they play, but a million reasons. Maybe they just like to dress up in a pretty outfit while destroying stuff. :biggrin:

Customization IS our largest draw here.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Sometimes I get that urge to just destroy everything while playing a game. That's why I keep my old PS2, and a copy of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Use the cheat code to summon up a Rhino tank, and just go to town. (It's the quickest way to finish up that mission where you have to destroy things to impress the bikers, too.)

Or I'll kick up Mass Effect 2 on the XBox. "Those were the days, Shepard. Us against the unknown, killing it with big guns..."