Install Arc
Options

Why isnt Champions darker?

2»

Comments

• Options
    skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Dear OP your not at all alone. In fact when Champions first launched many talked about Hudson city as a vital must add asap dark champions themed region to the game as the general game was just too childish a setting for anyone with a taste for the drama driven stories some need to embrace a setting where heroes and villains fight for the defense and control of the world and even the multi verse.

Many made the mistaken assumption it would be only a matter of a year or two into the games development it would catch up to and surpass CoH in such content. After all Cryptic had the experience of CoH and surely knew the wide and varied taste of players enjoying their well honed character creator.

However we all know the tale of how CO was thrown under the bus in the name of first Star Trek then NWO and now the statement the game will only get what it earns to those not blind by fanboism see it as the death knell it is. Few will ever bother to come and join a game they know will see little to no meaningful content additions and is thick with forum posts describing how little time it takes to see the games content in its entirety.

Honestly if you seek a dark hero setting buy one of the batman arkham games. After all why be your own hero when you can eb the only meaningful hero in all of comicdom The Batman.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    yes the deadpool clones, batman clones and all the other things that the new people think they are being original in copying.

Or the people, who for some strange reason, think being 'bad' is cool. It's not.

same as the amount of bloatform characters- why isn't everything huge.

all the near naked female- why isn't Millennium city a nudist colony.

Strangely in the time I've been playing, I've seen mostly other ones.
    WE did have a plague of Black & grey when Night Avenger At was released.

BY the way, I have just over 100 characters. The only one which can be described as a red/blacker is Dead Fool- a zombie clown.
    and to zer303606,

which mobs ;

purple gang- criminals
    VIPER_ international criminal
    Mind Inc- take over the world criminals
    Argent- business criminals
    DEMON-magical criminals
    DR Moreau- thinks turning people into manimals is a good idea
    Telios- thinks people make good components
    Gadroon- invading the planet
    Qulaar- invading the planet

How exactly are any of these light side?
    darkness in what way?
    more suicides, drug use, get taken over by horrors from another dimension(comic series), blowing up of innocent civilians,etc.

This is not a comic book series where they have to put as much drama into it as a (un)reality TV show, in order to sell.
    Go try DCUO and see the Villain missions, they are exactly the same as the Hero ones but form the other direction.... well except one where you kill exactly the same people for exactly the same reason.
    and here we get to the real reason;
    I like this , so change it to be the way I like
    Edit: one last bit.

Dark champions is a skill based game. IT is based on normal people, not super heroes.
    The people themselves are not required to be dim, dark, frustrated vigilantes out to get vengeance on whoever killed their parents, sister, brother, pet dog.

It is merely that they have to be sneakier and use the dark to hide.

You left out the area where civilians burst into flames every 30 seconds. I have to take the headphones of when every I enter that area or all of the death screams start to get to me.

:: shivers ::

Yup. There are darker games. I don't play those. I also don't watch horror/slasher movies.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    If you want a really dark game with an (at best) antihero protagonist, find a copy of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Just don't play through the Ocean Hotel storyline, or the much later one where you're going through a Tzimice's lair, late at night with headphones on. ("Look out... he's coming... too late...")

Oh, and do NOT open the casket at the end. Trust me on this one.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    You're still reading Sky's drivel, Wolf? I just skip on down whenever I see that name. Better for all concerned, I think - although if he has loved ones, I hope they stage an intervention before it's too late...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you want a really dark game with an (at best) antihero protagonist, find a copy of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Just don't play through the Ocean Hotel storyline, or the much later one where you're going through a Tzimice's lair, late at night with headphones on. ("Look out... he's coming... too late...")

Oh, and do NOT open the casket at the end. Trust me on this one.
    The easiest way to get it would be:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600/

And while it definitely is worth the standard price, it is almost always 75% off whenever there's a big Steam sale.

Also, don't play Malkavian the first time through. Mostly because it will make all the other clans seem less awesome.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited January 2015
    (Pruned thread -- keep it civil, folks. Comparing games is fine, jumping down someone's throat isn't.)
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Also, don't play Malkavian the first time through. Mostly because it will make all the other clans seem less awesome.

Unfortunately I already feel that way about the pen and paper game. I was instantly drawn to Malks from the start.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Unfortunately I already feel that way about the pen and paper game. I was instantly drawn to Malks from the start.
    The main issue with playing a Malk the first time through is that it's even better as a second play. Mostly because much of the Malk dialogue has a lot of more or less subtle hints about various events, places and people.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    One of Scott's most popular and enduring characters, one he began back in PnP, is Thundrax. Scott, canadascott, Thundrax - he responds to just about any name that isn't outright abusive. :)

I've had the honor of fighting alongside Thundrax in a few Blood Moons, usually in my persona of Happifun Security System X-4. Dude definitely knows his stuff.

Even I've run into Thundrax in a quite few Alerts. And I almost NEVER run into any Forumites in-game. :eek:

Except Caliga. I see Caliga all of the time. Caliga mightiest super power seems to be standing in the RenCen. :wink:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The main issue with playing a Malk the first time through is that it's even better as a second play. Mostly because much of the Malk dialogue has a lot of more or less subtle hints about various events, places and people.
    That and on subsequent playthroughs, you don't have to pay quite as close attention to your environment, leaving you free to do things like arguing with stop signs.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Count Fishbat.

I've seen you hovering around defender several times when I was on my main, Sylviana, and I'd think she's rather recognizable, I mean look at my forum avatar, its a picture of her.

All this time I thought Thundrax was your main. :: forehead slap ::

As for seeing Sylviana... Oops. :rolleyes:

I guess that's just me being hyper-focused on getting to the next mission before the wife of life summons me
    with a :: ZOINK ::
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've been running into that lately. People seem to know me from here, but they have a different username, so I don't know who they are! :tongue:

I guess I need to go do some homework in the Altaholic Challenge thread.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The best way to argue with a stop sign is simply not to stop.
    When a Malkavian argues with a stop sign, the sign holds up its end of the conversation.

• Options
    menotrpamenotrpa Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The best way to argue with a stop sign is simply not to stop.

I tried arguing with a traffic light once, turns out they have a very colorful vocabulary.

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've been running into that lately. People seem to know me from here, but they have a different username, so I don't know who they are! :tongue:

well, my handles are in my sig.a lot of people have, just check.

currently, levelling
    Deer, oh dear.
    Major Skanke,
    Golden Gimp,
    Scrappy can do,
    Semi invisible man,
    Winging it
    Roc Kerr
    Burper
    Smoky

yes I'm an altaholic
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I DO remember seeing Major Skanke the other day. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Wouldn't help for me; I've only got two 40s, so don't qualify.

Currently you're most likely to see me on Patchwork (a gadgeteer with a small army of robot pets) or Mindseye (a Mind - trying to get a feel for the psi powers, and discovering that Ego Sleep and Ego Sprites make a great opening attack against most mobs). As July approaches, I'll break out Captain Americlown again, I'm sure. (And keep an eye out for Supermanx, the genetically-engineered tailless cat with superpowers! Mostly I just have to settle on a power set...)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm mostly noticed these days for Go-Metal (AKA Go Girl) dancing next to Defender yelling Babymetal references. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Wouldn't help for me; I've only got two 40s, so don't qualify.

Currently you're most likely to see me on Patchwork (a gadgeteer with a small army of robot pets) or Mindseye (a Mind - trying to get a feel for the psi powers, and discovering that Ego Sleep and Ego Sprites make a great opening attack against most mobs). As July approaches, I'll break out Captain Americlown again, I'm sure. (And keep an eye out for Supermanx, the genetically-engineered tailless cat with superpowers! Mostly I just have to settle on a power set...)

Might I suggest Sparkstorm. If you've ever had a furry pet in Winter, you'll understand. :smile:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zer303606 wrote: »
    i guess im the only one that wants more evil and darkness.
    sorry to hear that.
    you all make sence some deeper then others, but i remain in my quest for a dark champions online.

doesnt have to be black red with pointy things tho. as finn allmost said , i whould be more scared of a rainbow clown then a guy dressed in black leather and skulls.

but darkness doesnt have to be those things.

well there should be atleast an option for us ppl that dont want to dress up as rainbowman of the giddy sun of happyness. and fight mobs that are straight out of a morning cartoon.

i mean yea games are silly as it is, but it could be cooler.

not everyone wants to be spawn, some ppl just want a more mature story to live yourself into.

-my two dark cents

ps. hope i didnt offend any rainbow warriors out there lol.

Did you play the Mechanon stuff? There are people bursting into flame and you have to watch it happen. You CANNOT save them...dark.

edit: yeah i jumped onto this after only reading to page 4...still dark.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Fine, I guess I'll throw you a bone as well. These are mine:

Lady Tsukira
    Destructeon
    Dreadstorm
    Ms. Chernobyl
    Golden Virtue
    Demgoddess
    Thunder Huntress
    The Still-Heart
    Crimson Hellfire
    Shocking Freeze
    The Supercollision
    Queen Frostara
    Starshayde
    Moonglitter
    Shatter Nova
    Anarkaos
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Actually, I think this conversation convinced Zed to start a Roll Call thread. :smile:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yes%2Bsir%2BD%2Bthis%2Bgif%2Bwas%2Bgolden%2B_483d2e3ead21878f296690ac04d468c4.jpg
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I DO remember seeing Major Skanke the other day. :tongue:

he's a bit hard to miss isn't he.
    Lavender Marauder is..a...um... similar costume problem.
    Costume_CloudsatDawn_LavenderMarauder_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_419678537_zps2090f24a.jpg
    but at least he doesn't have those shorts. I have never been so glad for stealth, as with Major Skanke's costume.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Im'a dark grim red blacker and my toon is evil but I am also a goofy derp. No way you ever gonna get Dark Knight levels of dank and dismal in CO.

Example, most of the CoH vets that play CO came to CO long before CoH shut down they came to CO because CO was more ZAP POW than CoH. CoH was like Batman TAS and CO is like 60's Batman :P

People came beacuse the derpy.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I'd hazard a guess that the more action-oriented play style and freeform building MAY have had a touch more to do with it. :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd hazard a guess that the more action-oriented play style and freeform building MAY have had a touch more to do with it. :tongue:

Nope Ima pretty sure its CO's high level of DERPY that did it.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    It's not like CoX didn't have its share of derpy. :tongue:

Heck, on the "darkness" level, CoV had ONE really disturbing arc, and the rest was just you being an errand boy for other people. :biggrin:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png