test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackredders - CO's #1 Fashion Sin

Comments

• ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I found one!!! (like it was that hard) Saw this today....it made me feel bad for the Native Americans
    ChampionsOnline_2013-10-10_00-02-48.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2013
    I found one!!! (like it was that hard) Saw this today....it made me feel bad for the Native Americans

Well, that's actually not a bad costume.
    Similarities to totems are quite obvious. Especially with this chest layer and back piece.
    Skin tone is right.
    Leather belt, gloves and boots are working well at breaking this color scheme.
    Jet black looks like used with leather texture, so it's not a featureless back mass.
    Red parts could use color toned down a bit, but even without it they aren't totally costume breaking.
    Good enough as a kind of native-inspired Batmanesque costume.

Some thought was actually put into this costume. It's not a random sum of parts.

This topic already started badly, but now it quickly goes downhill.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Well, that's actually not a bad costume.
    Similarities to totems are quite obvious. Especially with this chest layer and back piece.
    Skin tone is right.
    Leather belt, gloves and boots are working well at breaking this color scheme.
    Jet black looks like used with leather texture, so it's not a featureless back mass.
    Red parts could use color toned down a bit, but even without it they aren't totally costume breaking.
    Good enough as a kind of native-inspired Batmanesque costume.

Some thought was actually put into this costume. It's not a random sum of parts.

This topic already started badly, but now it quickly goes downhill.

I have to agree, we should be using this thread to encourage improvement and acknowledge costumes done well or giving constructive criticism where things could be improved (wether the original costume maker sees it or not - everyone can use the advice).

I will admit I do have a giggle at blackredders when i see an especially heinous one in-game, but I also usually try to have a word with them, ask them if they wouldnt mind some comments that may improve their look. Sometimes I get no reply (AFKs?) but often people are happy to chat about costumes and looks in random locations.

*stands up* Hello, I am Liath and I am a blackredder. *sits down again*

With regard to the Native American themed look, I think it is a passable Thunderbird homage (wether that was intended or not). If this was mine to work with I would expand on the leather feel - make the black into the darkest "brown" on the charcoal row of the Orange column. I would also be tempted to change the tights to leather rather than metal but they probably look better out of the PH lights. The red I would also take down a couple of rows. I have no issue with costume part selection at all and would be pleased to have a similar look on my chars.. in fact.. to the tailoring mobile!
    edited October 2013

The problem I have is first: the leather on metal blackredder mistake, it's out if place and does not work, the gloves/boots/belt if you are in a metal suit...why would you still be wearing your old gloves.i think getting a rid of metal altogether is the best idea. And changing the blackredder area to match the gloves. And the feather, they look like just red and black, hard to tell....he must of killed a blackredder bald eagle
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The problem I have is first: the leather on metal blackredder mistake, it's out if place and does not work, the gloves/boots/belt if you are in a metal suit...why would you still be wearing your old gloves.i think getting a rid of metal altogether is the best idea. And changing the blackredder area to match the gloves. And the feather, they look like just red and black, hard to tell....he must of killed a blackredder bald eagle

Or dyed the feathers? :p
    edited October 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Or dyed the feathers? :p

The thought of that actually made me giggle.
    Scene: kitchen. Indian man in bathrobe and boxers, one hand he is holding a cup of coffee while leaning on counter reading newspaper and occasionally he reach for the metal bucket in sink to check progress of the dying bird feathers....this is why everyone needs an Alfred. Ever seen bleach stains on Batman's costumes? Never...being a superhero is not a one man job.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    so putting my money where my mouth is (and opening myself up to ridicule - feel free ) here is what I would have suggested to that guy:

Bug_Example_zps1178e70c.jpg~original
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That looks awesome, liath. Kinda what I was picturing, as well.

I'll post a few, myself. First up is Raven, who pretty much had no choice about this whole blackredder thing.

bszr.jpg

ecme.th.jpg

I did fix the shimmer on the shoulder pads, they don't reflect like that anymore. Odd detail that I didn't notice when I first set up the costume.

Next is Crimson Falcon, who's a bit of an homage to Crimson Bolt, AoC's main. She might be Blackred, but she wins retro or sexy on a regular basis, so I guess it can't be too bad.

4m8e.jpg
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • cptcooltasticcptcooltastic Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    They are beginning to gather!!! The end is nigh!

screenshot_2013-10-14-18-12-54.jpg
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    blackred.jpg

Blackest black? Check.
    Glowing red? Check.

Blackredders on MY character list? It's more likely than you think. :biggrin:
    Here's some more I found.

Good outfit, needs different shades IMO.
    BlackRedder_02.jpg

And a black/red/green.
    BlackRedGreen_01.jpg
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    opaque bubble helm looks like a gigantic jawbreaker.
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    leihngwei wrote: »
    Here's some more I found.

Good outfit, needs different shades IMO.
    BlackRedder_02.jpg

And a black/red/green.
    BlackRedGreen_01.jpg

I kinda like the second one. Perhaps he PvP's?

Hahaha
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I kinda like the second one. Perhaps he PvP's?

Hahaha

So you're assuming that most of the current PvP'ers have crappy visual tastes?

I see what you did there. >:(

• twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Black red is bad but there's always room for demon people?
    blackred.jpg

Blackest black? Check.
    Glowing red? Check.

Blackredders on MY character list? It's more likely than you think. :biggrin:

I would be of the opinion that this is a blackredder done decently. Sure, it's got some bright red on pitch black, but the red isn't glaringly all over the place, it's more of a highlight.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So when's the blackredder costume contest?
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've been in at least one!

alas...I was not the black reddiest blackredder there.
  • cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Actually the number one sin is widespread gigantism, if you more than a few characters that just happen to be 7 foot tall, maybe you need to leave other players choices alone.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    cbob312 wrote: »
    Actually the number one sin is widespread gigantism, if you more than a few characters that just happen to be 7 foot tall, maybe you need to leave other players choices alone.

In a game about having super powers, I don't think this is a problem.
    biffsig.jpg
  • dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    GameClient2013-11-1619-57-46-15_zpsb12af145.jpg

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's a lot of spiky bits.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It has come to my attention that a couple of my characters might be black[insetcolor]ers... though I do hope that I'm not making atrocities with them... IMO they look pretty decent... and I do try to make the color palettes eyepleasing rather than eyecatching eyesores...

Rose_zps1169f121.jpg

Myriad_zps89803e77.jpg

Arcana_zps1282e55b.jpg

Valkyri_zpsefa34959.jpg

I can atleast attest that I never used the Blackest of Blacks on any of their costumes, and only one of them has an eyepoppingly bright secondary color... but she also has more of a grey tone to her than black... and the two colors don't exactly meet much...

I submit my heroes to your judgement... I hope for a kind one, but expect an honest one.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think the pink and black one is closet to being a blackredder...it also looks like her costume is held together by the power of telekinesis alone!

Eh, none of them are really that bad I guess...the others I rather like.
  • finalslapsfinalslaps Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Red and black is better than Ronald McDonald red and yellow.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    OK, I confess, guilty as charged:

First of all Ghettoblaster. He is an ex gang member, so the red is his 'colours'.

Original:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-23-32_zpsf99c1b95.jpg

Next:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-23-43_zps940adbc1.jpg

I am sorry, I need help:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-24-17_zps4af60db6.jpg

Since he is of Jamaican ancestors and to relieve your eyes of excessive red and black:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-24-38_zps9ec6ced1.jpg
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    Next is my generic half angel half demon which everyone made when VB launched, Intercessor. He has various phases, as he changes from angelic to demonic. The idea is if he uses light/healing powers he looks more angelic, but if he uses his hell fire powers, the demonic side prevails:

Stern angelic look, look no black or red!

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-14-34_zps25472f3b.jpg

Not so angelic:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-13-07_zpsbe0306a8.jpg

Who's been a bad boy?:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-13-53_zps1107ad30.jpg

Even badder, with extra spikes as you can never have enough:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-12-29_zpsd220d16e.jpg
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2013
    And finally, my original blackredder, from launch. Interestingly enough he was mainly white originally, but I entered a cc in which you had to show both your main costume and a fallen one, so naturally I switched the whit to black and came in second. Sadly i fell in love with the look, so now he has a few red/black costumes. I am beginning to think my blackredder syndrome is worse than my altitis.

Witchfinder, close to original colours, but some changes:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-06-03_zps83c8da84.jpg

Uh oh, he fell:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-05-48_zps22fe565c.jpg

A bit less black, but still:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-06-16_zpsb4484d6a.jpg

I guess there is no hope for me:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-06-27_zpsffa4ee17.jpg
    edited November 2013
    Here are two offenders side by side. Hopefully my toon, Bastion, on the right, is less offensive:

screenshot_2013-11-27-10-18-35_zps8dc86e50.jpg
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Your's look fine. Shows a good eye for color coordination and design. I think a true Blackredder requires the actual outfit to be bad.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    Here are two offenders side by side. Hopefully my toon, Bastion, on the right, is less offensive:

The Character on your Left is the PERFECT Example of why people Hate Black & Redders

Just look at this color tune
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited November 2013

Still absolutely LOVE Bastion's costume.

My latest character is a Black-Pinker, using the blackest of blacks in his costume. I know the normal PSI-Guys use a less-threatening, evil black, but I made him in the midst of a blackredder discussion so I just had to go for it. :P

PSI-Clone.jpg

He's PSI-Clone, a PSI/Teleios mashup.
    biffsig.jpg
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As if knowing that black and red was the color set of the Nazis wasn't enough...

But hey, do tell me: any good concept where Black and Red could be justified? Or the guilty party is pretty much attempting to be XTREMECOOLZORZ?
    edited November 2013
    zamuelpwe wrote: »
    Your's look fine. Shows a good eye for color coordination and design. I think a true Blackredder requires the actual outfit to be bad.

Thanks, I have recently been avoiding black/red costumes like the plague, although bastion was a lapse.
    avianos wrote: »
    The Character on your Left is the PERFECT Example of why people Hate Black & Redders

Thanks and the sad part is I deliberately popped into MC Powerhouse to see if I could find one and I wasn't disappointed. Took all of 2 seconds...

Just look at this color tune
    Still absolutely LOVE Bastion's costume.

My latest character is a Black-Pinker, using the blackest of blacks in his costume. I know the normal PSI-Guys use a less-threatening, evil black, but I made him in the midst of a blackredder discussion so I just had to go for it. :P

PSI-Clone.jpg

Thanks Smacks, coming from an avid(rabid?) tight fan that means a lot. I like your toon a lot, but is it possible to colour the back the same as the pink in the costume? I know its hard but if not try a third colour for his back and glowing eyes? Really sweet toon though.
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Smacks, coming from an avid(rabid?) tight fan that means a lot. I like your toon a lot, but is it possible to colour the back the same as the pink in the costume? I know its hard but if not try a third colour for his back and glowing eyes? Really sweet toon though.

Thanks. Yeah I was trying to match the colors but I gave up. The lighting in the costume creator was making it look different, i think. I dunno, I just got lazy :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited November 2013

PSI-Clone.jpg

This is another example of one that gets it right. The black is a little saturated but otherwise this looks good.
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »
    As if knowing that black and red was the color set of the Nazis wasn't enough...

But hey, do tell me: any good concept where Black and Red could be justified? Or the guilty party is pretty much attempting to be XTREMECOOLZORZ?

Well, any number of countries have black and red in their flag so a lot of national heroes could have those two colors.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    GameClient2013-11-2822-38-37-27_zps00871353.jpg

To be fair, I thought the face was pretty well done.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • overpowerlegitoverpowerlegit Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hey guys.
    I'm @Overpower, a new player. Nice to meet you all!

This is my main alt, Prefect. I hope I did okay.

a1qv.jpg

Hope to see you guys in game :)
    -= OVERPOWER =- | -= PREFECT =-
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hey guys.

a1qv.jpg

I should point you to examples from the first page. Here:
    And here, a few good examples to proof that black and red doesn't have to look bad.

8752680793_b21a1f71a4_b.jpg

The first thing to notice: There is no glow. It's a tech ninja that actually looks stealthy.

8753805320_425f12731d_b.jpg

Here we have a black power armor with red glowing details. Emphasis on "details"! The glow is subtle and actually used only for details instead of as a secondary color. The actual secondary color on this one is grey.

8753888170_7ce7bf7836_b.jpg

This one looks kinda weird, but certainly not everyone has a body like this. That's originality!
    Overall, this costume has surprisingly good synergy. The colors are well balanced; red is the primary color, but it doesn't draw attention away from the black parts. Dark grey is used as a subtile tertiary color in between the web lines. And the tights have the same Scale detail and Leather material textures all around.
    Also, notice how he colored the holo fields in a dark red, making them more like subtile accessoirs instead of eyecatches.

Notice how they use other colors, which makes the costume look less monotone (duotone, technically).
    And they don't just use "cool" costume pieces either, but select them so they fit the character's theme.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My latest character is a Black-Pinker

If it's good enough for the Hart Foundation, it's good enough for you.
    Hey guys.

a1qv.jpg

I actually like that costume. The black and red work well there. The key is having at least a third color, like your whites and golds. Personally I'd go with a slightly darker shade of red when using metal but that's just me. Maybe darken only some of the reds rather than using just the single shade.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Necroed 'cause the horror never ends. I stumbled across this toon with the rather dubious name of 'Knyte' in the PH today *shudder*

Blackredder.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • foosnarkfoosnark Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Red: his shoulders they do glow,
    Black: his spiky legs bipedal,
    His aura's blacker than his soul,
    His cloth is blacker than his metal.

Black Redder, Black Redder, with many a burned-out eye!
    Black Redder, Black Redder, you ugly little guy!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ♪ BlackReds, BlackReds whatcha gonna do? what you gonna do when they come for you? ♫

tumblr_static_dancing_kakapo.gif

But seriously now, what were they thinking?
    They have the ability to make Unique colorful characters and instead they make this... is Black & Red Supposed to be EDGY? How old are the players who make those characters?

This trend makes me Question other people's Artistic Visions :confused:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    ♪ BackReds, BackReds whatcha gonna do? what you gonna do when they come for you? ♫

tumblr_static_dancing_kakapo.gif

But seriously now, what were they thinking?
    They have the ability to make Unique colorful characters and instead they make this... is Black & Red Supposed to be EDGY? How old are the players who make those characters?

This trend makes me Question other people's Artistic Visions :confused:

Well it takes a bit to understand the costume creator when you first get into the game, i remember my first experience. I just dont think they realise that they can colour the pieces individually instead of having 1 palette for everything.

So either its lack of knowledge with the character creator or..
    well..

they're lazy or something. *cough*
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • cheelanghocheelangho Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I must confess that i'm guilty of blackredding too:

This is my main Ghostlinger, the 3rd or 4th toon i made since joining the game and the first one i finally kept on playing; on his original unwatchable glory

dd66e1d6e02410305011f87a19a1f4821365052110.jpg

And this is his current look, after a lot of eye sore, spending some zen and reading Bluhman's guide

12802f69ecc946f153e9588fd02466921386127329.jpg
    SIGNATURE.
  • tombmaster123tombmaster123 Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here are some great examples I picked up today.
    lc90.jpg

7r42.jpg

1rbf.jpg
    edited January 2014
    cheelangho wrote: »
    I must confess that i'm guilty of blackredding too:

This is my main Ghostlinger, the 3rd or 4th toon i made since joining the game and the first one i finally kept on playing; on his original unwatchable glory

dd66e1d6e02410305011f87a19a1f4821365052110.jpg

And this is his current look, after a lot of eye sore, spending some zen and reading Bluhman's guide

12802f69ecc946f153e9588fd02466921386127329.jpg

Iron Maiden? :)
    biffsig.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Iron Maiden? :)
    Looks like ol' Eddie to me - especially costume #1 in that second pic!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Looks like ol' Eddie to me - especially costume #1 in that second pic!

Exactly my thoughts. Great (and not-often done) homage.
    biffsig.jpg