test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Blackredders - CO's #1 Fashion Sin

Comments

• cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really good costumes Benevon! loved both of them!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Funny thing? Universally, all the bad examples listed here only use two colors, while all the good examples (a very good majority to say the least) have 3 or more.

If anything, CO's #1 fashion sin is just splattering 2 colors all over your costume in equal parts.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• synthozoicsynthozoic Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm inclined to agree with Bluhman, the better examples allow two colors to dominate but then throw a few splashes of other colors to moderate things a bit.

I've got one blackredder but it has a few other colors thrown in to lighten it up a bit, a few bits of white, some yellow, a bit of lime green and there you go:
    robot07.jpg
  • tomaantomaan Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I couldn't resist -- had to make one as a build challenge.

Two tones only -- jet black and red with a little day glo for good measure.

bnr.jpg

While it leaves much to be desired from an artistic standpoint, black/red are still functional if you take advantage of texturing and highlights.

As Bluhman says, it's not necessary the colors, it's the "splattering"
  • jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try reversing the black and red on that one. I think it might turn out really well. Having both for a build with two different passives/roles, or one as a nemesis might be kind of cool. .O.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My very first character was a blackredder.. then I was like.. I dont feel very original much less recognizable.

There is a whole lot of Ugly that goes down in CO. Conceptless demon-goats are directly against everything I appreciate in Champions. I don't mind horror-lore.. It just seems hard to integrate info a comic book setting.
  • tomaantomaan Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try reversing the black and red on that one. I think it might turn out really well. Having both for a build with two different passives/roles, or one as a nemesis might be kind of cool. .O.

You're right....looks better with a red base :smile:

bnr2.jpg
  • zebellezebelle Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    not sure if this qualifies as it doesn't have much red, but here's mine:

Little Lead Riding Hood
    screenshot2013053012580.jpg

@Zebel

60% of the time, it works every time...since August 2009.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zebelle wrote: »
    not sure if this qualifies as it doesn't have much red, but here's mine:

Little Lead Riding Hood
    screenshot2013053012580.jpg
    Nope, that's gray and subdued red. You need flat black and neon red to really burn the retina.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    >2013
    >Doing black and red wrong.

uyoGkmi.jpg

>.>

87FKiWI.jpg

<.<

PsnajFh.jpg

Snark never dies.
  • zebellezebelle Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nope, that's gray and subdued red. You need flat black and neon red to really burn the retina.

aha! i knew i was missing something...

@Zebel

60% of the time, it works every time...since August 2009.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    screenshot2013053105561.jpg
    screenshot2013053105574.jpg
    screenshot2013053106273.jpg
    screenshot2013053105591.jpg
  • mapost1985mapost1985 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    on the big armor guy on top, what is that arm cannon.. i might get one.
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guilty... :S

nVlKM06.jpg
    QrjPUMF.png

lol i killed the thread
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I found one!

blackredder.jpg

Fortunately, he was standing in front of a tailor, so he might be correcting his atrocities as I post.
    Probably not...
    black and red is really overused. but the main thing is that its seemingly always the mega dark black and the one shade of red that they use. theres so many shades of red and it can really help a character look by just toning down a bit. im not really a fan of black and hardly use it at all, i usually prefer dark greys. and black is even worse when its on metal as a lot of the time you lose out on subtle details on costume pieces and it turns the full costume almost into a mirror.

as for my own fashion sin id personally say the worst is the wolf heads. they are thrown onto loads of characters and tie into no concept what so ever. its not so much the players fault though as the limitations on bestial heads are extreme. by choosing a bestial head you loose about 75% of your customization (headwear,mouth accessories,eye accessories etc) and ultimately just look like anyone else with a wolf head. why would someone ever need to put those stupid angler ball things on a wolf head, and not only that 3 DIFFERENT KINDS!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2013
    Guilty, lol.

More than once. :D

(though pic number one actually IS a villain, so his look is justified)

25tanpj.jpg

jhcydg.jpg

wtzm0j.jpg
    edited June 2013
  • diplomacymandiplomacyman Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Forgive me father for I have sinned...

Auditor
    captainsound.png

...though I still rather like him :biggrin:
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    8753921716_ce8f50c03f_b.jpg

The same in purple. It's the second most common color of choice for blackredders, but not really any more original.
    [

HOLD ON A FREAKING MINUTE! I have come across that character several times too, and 1 things bothers me!

Look at what Combo of costumes is he wearing!
    He wears Roin'Esh Hip wear & Gear WITH Band of Edom

In Hip wear & Gear you CAN'T WEAR BELTS! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE INGAME!
    AND Band of Edom IS A BELT!
    WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? :eek:

Also Eye cancer
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • rabenschwingerabenschwinge Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I guess I am guilty of similar sins, but I am more of a white-golder than a black-redder.

Who's the black-reddiest of them all? - Thou art the black-reddiest here, but Batwoman, over the seven... well, in Gotham... is a thousand times black-reddier than thou.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/batwoman-2011/batwoman-1

And regarding a different female bat by DC Comics (a black-golder):
    "Paint my name in black and gold
    My heart, my flame, my heart, my road" - The Sisters of Mercy, Heartland
    http://ed-benes-studio.deviantart.com/art/Ed-Benes-BatGirl-Cover-325305501

Characters on Primus DB (and their Nemeses):
    Marksmaid | Tenebris (Xalara) | Virtue | Dawnblaze (Sister Nightfall) | Rhinegold: Julie & Magdalena
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ... Totally guilty.
    screenshot_2013-06-22-09-25-44_zps9fc0bac5.jpg

Also cookie points for whoever gets what I was trying to do here.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    avianos wrote: »
    HOLD ON A FREAKING MINUTE! I have come across that character several times too, and 1 things bothers me!

Look at what Combo of costumes is he wearing!
    He wears Roin'Esh Hip wear & Gear WITH Band of Edom

In Hip wear & Gear you CAN'T WEAR BELTS! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE INGAME!
    AND Band of Edom IS A BELT!
    WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? :eek:

Also Eye cancer

Beast legs can wear a selection of hip wear with belts, since belts are only explicitly disabled by switching to the "hip wear/gear" category.

Of course, to make the same limitation apply to beast legs, they'd have to make a "beast legs with hip wear/gear" category, which I'm sure a million people would not appreciate.

Here's a few... almost red n black outfits:

Card-Redeye_zps315756d0.png CarmAlt.jpg Card-Blueprint.png Card-Mark.png
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Also guilty >.<

But in this case, the deepest grey simply didn't have the same effect as the deep black.
    437bbf92-9c24-4fcf-8d2f-a07009764379_zps3bee9943.jpg

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

f2zm.jpg

Also no color is off limits, it's all in how you use them... so tailor away!!
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • leihngweileihngwei Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I found one at the tailors.

BlackRedder_01.jpg
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    leihngwei wrote: »
    I found one at the tailors.

BlackRedder_01.jpg

I quite like that one though to be honest I don't understand the hate for red and black.
    edited June 2013
    I quite like that one though to be honest I don't understand the hate for red and black.

As stated in the OP, it isn't the combination of red and black, but the combination of the darkest, detail-absorbing black with the brightest, eye-searing red, preferably with glows enabled.
    As stated in the OP, it isn't the combination of red and black, but the combination of the darkest, detail-absorbing black with the brightest, eye-searing red, preferably with glows enabled.

still don't see the issue to be honest hell its not like the pure black with glowing eyes is a unusual look within comics take sun spot for the longest time he was (while powers were active) pure black with glowing eyes and mouth.
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    still don't see the issue to be honest hell its not like the pure black with glowing eyes is a unusual look within comics take sun spot for the longest time he was (while powers were active) pure black with glowing eyes and mouth.

Well it's like, you know those people that always have something else to say about someone else outfit and think they have the greatest fashion sense in the world so much that anything that they dont like is a violation? It dont stop at the virtual reality gate. It transfer with them sometimes to games. The time they spend worrying about what others wear could be spend doing other things, like worrying about their own story line and polishing up or building their own toons or even you know, playing the game.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jaguar40 wrote: »
    Well it's like, you know those people that always have something else to say about someone else outfit and think they have the greatest fashion sense in the world so much that anything that they dont like is a violation? It dont stop at the virtual reality gate. It transfer with them sometimes to games. The time they spend worrying about what others wear could be spend doing other things, like worrying about their own story line and polishing up or building their own toons or even you know, playing the game.

Looks like someone is a bit touchy.......forums are about giving your opinion. This part of the forums are about giving your opinions on costumes. We all play how we want and prioritise what we want in-game.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • robothenrirobothenri Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    kharma23 wrote: »
    Also guilty >.<

But in this case, the deepest grey simply didn't have the same effect as the deep black.
    437bbf92-9c24-4fcf-8d2f-a07009764379_zps3bee9943.jpg

This costume is pure win. That is all... move along :)

My stuff at deviantart
    edited June 2013
    Looks like someone is a bit touchy.......forums are about giving your opinion. This part of the forums are about giving your opinions on costumes. We all play how we want and prioritise what we want in-game.

Sorry yeah. Maybe too touchy about it.

I guess it's not to be taken to heart and in the end of the day anyone is allowed to wear what they wont how they want in what colors they want. I guess it's one of those things not to be taken seriously. But when the title is a bit like #fashion sin, which usually insinuate something seriously that is not supposed to be done or a faux pas, it kind of set it the mood as if it's saying "This is how you suppose to not dress and this is how you supposed to dress." But I guess the OP didnt mean it like that and just one of those that dont care for or dress in Black/red.

I'm sure I may not like all his costumes and think some are boring rip off or ugly. I'll remember, when it's not for serious taking. Thus eventually I might just give my opinion on those that spend too much time talking and worrying about other costumes. Remember it's all fun and games right?
    edited June 2013
    I think you'll find that the vast majority of us are not "worried" by others costumes. However, it's a bit strange to tell us off for talking about other peoples costumes in an MMO.... IN the "costumes" part of a forum for that MMO.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited June 2013
    I think you'll find that the vast majority of us are not "worried" by others costumes. However, it's a bit strange to tell us off for talking about other peoples costumes in an MMO.... IN the "costumes" part of a forum for that MMO.

maybe a bit strange but I figured the costume section was for showing off costume ideas and concepts, not trying to tear down other people for costume choices. My error. I'll keep that in mind.
  • thestarpaladinthestarpaladin Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Unfortunately for my Tempest toon, Storm Warden, I tried to make all of his costumes look like variations of the Daedric Armor from Skyrim, so they're all black and red. :(
  • gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jaguar40 wrote: »
    maybe a bit strange but I figured the costume section was for showing off costume ideas and concepts, not trying to tear down other people for costume choices. My error. I'll keep that in mind.

I tend to agree. The thing I don't like about this thread is when a user posts an outfit they spotted in game. I don't have a problem with people showing off their own black-redders, but gang-criticizing another persons work without giving them the chance to defend their decisions doesn't sit well with me, and it seems like bullying. "Eye cancer" really? I would expect differently from a community of superheroes.
    edited June 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    screenshot2013053105561.jpg

I like this one. Very simple, balanced, but striking costume.
  • diplomacymandiplomacyman Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I tend to agree. The thing I don't like about this thread is when a user posts an outfit they spotted in game. I don't have a problem with people showing off their own black-redders, but gang-criticizing another persons work without giving them the chance to defend their decisions doesn't sit well with me, and it seems like bullying. "Eye cancer" really? I would expect differently from a community of superheroes.

Yeah, obviously the thread title was meant as a joke and people aren't seriously trying to bash others toons, but I can see how finding your own toon screenshotted on here could be a little hurtful. Maybe its an idea to post examples that we've made of stuff we've seen.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Beast legs can wear a selection of hip wear with belts, since belts are only explicitly disabled by switching to the "hip wear/gear" category.

Of course, to make the same limitation apply to beast legs, they'd have to make a "beast legs with hip wear/gear" category, which I'm sure a million people would not appreciate.

Oh Damn, I feel like an Idiot for asking that! :frown:
    But I didn't know that in first Place since NON of my characters use Beast Legs :/
    It's would be a Sin if they applied that Limitation on Bestial Legs, let's keep is as it is!
    I don't have a problem with people showing off their own black-redders, but gang-criticizing another persons work without giving them the chance to defend their decisions doesn't sit well with me, and it seems like bullying. "Eye cancer" really? I would expect differently from a community of superheroes.

Maybe the Term I used was too much, but I simply CANNOT tolerate Flashy Colors like these!
    and for pete's sake I'm not Bashing anyone, anyone is Free to play as whatever they want!

Put some things need to be Implied
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • menotrpamenotrpa Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Aq5lNmC.jpgone of specters old looks
    7q3Xf6W.jpgthe bioboosted husk
    cDdcrXA.jpg aaand finally a character who i have yet to create an actual good name for

no apologies for black n red combo
    no regrets
    no fears and no anxieties

i still like the the combination

edited June 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    Black and red is awesome. that is all. :biggrin:

For The Win
    edited June 2013
    I find that there are no colours, or combination of colours that are unacceptable....it's all about how you use them and the concept you are going for.

Now here are some oufit's that my latest toon, Redback, wears.......

Her modern superhero outfit.....
    RedbackModern.jpg

Her golden age superhero look....
    RedbackGA.jpg

One of her pulp hero outfits....
    RedbackPulp.jpg

And this is her dark champions look...
    RedbackVigilante.jpg

.......hope you like them.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • avs2324avs2324 Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Guilty....

yhnk.jpg

But I don't care. I love that costume.
  • mrbeatzeromrbeatzero Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Recluse.png?t=1372265124

Alright so I'll admit I'm guilty of it, but I at least tried to use shading to make it not to terrible. It's actually the biggest issue I have with black and red costumes, no one likes using shades of red and maybe a grey instead of pitch black.
    edited July 2013
    The devs heard us extolling the virtues of the darkest black plus a single other color with maxed glow!

3e06da3c96ed221e1312956e58de5dbf1372878763.jpg

17693543e9d459dc82d5912d2a3a36ee1372878517.jpg
    I do not consider using black&red combination a fashion sin. Absolutely bad costume can be made in any color combination. Then, what is "bad" is a very subjective thing.

More of my blackredders:

Heavy weapon warrior using low-tech power armor to boost her chances when fighting superpowered enemies:
    2qd1ugk.jpg

Duskwing's primary tights are black & red as well:
    2itq5v7.jpg

Soviet Girl's modern costume from alternate reality:
    kcjw28.jpg

And my primary black&blue toon. First costume is stealthy, last one - not so much:
    fz4u44.jpg
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sometimes nothing else fits.
    If you don't want to be flashy but still be fashionable, black and red is subtle and to the point.

EnCwCOy.png

Could be worse, every other player could have a logo on their chest like cheesy DC heroes.
    Except Power Girl whose logo is cleavage.