test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Official Hideout Functionality Thread!

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    I know it's been said already, but I kinda fail to understand the use of the Crime Computer in the hideout (except for thematic purpose: the hero looks up clues about her next intervention). More so when we can't even check our mail (for attachments that is). It's like we can scan/digitize our stuff via a Tron-like laser device... but we can't even check it out at home...

Even Fed-ex does better XD

Please consider it. Thanks
    Yeah, it does seem as though full email access should be a default function of the Crime Computer.

Here's a related thought: perhaps the Crime Computer could also show full maps of all the Zones you've been to. Then we could do a quick analysis of several places (say. to plan out what order we want to do UNITY Missions in after finishing the one on timer). That does seem like a very computer-ish thing to have.
    edited August 2011
    If I had to choose but one...

.. it'd be a tossup between Vibora and Millennium City, though I'd probably lean towards Millennium City, just because of the bustle. The level requirement to get into Vibora is a killer.

And in a non-hideout related suggestion, the VIP area should have a catwalk for people to model their costumes on.. sort of like a long tailor strip. d<_< Park it right across from the entrance!
    edited August 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    I definitely don't think we'd do full options for hideouts, since I KNOW Robobo wants to save a proper teleport/travel room for SGHQs.

But a transport room with a single destination (MIL), may be ok. Dunno, I'll have to talk with him and Brad about it.
    I don't think we'd let you choose your destination as people have mentioned above. What if you're level 7, and pick Mil? I don't know how we'd be able to let you choose, but then tie that per character, or even per hideout. Like i said, totally hypothetical, just curious what people's reactions to that would be.

Or just have the teleporter drop you off on the platform w/ the superjet in MC. It's a safe area, and it's only a short jaunt to Ren Ctr or the Superjet to go wherever you want...
    edited August 2011
    I think these are obvious must-needed additions to hideouts:

1. More space/rooms
    2. Mini/multi-player games (cards or something simple, like Star Trek Online has with Dabo)
    3. Crafting tables
    4. Shop and/or auction access
    5. Storage
    6. More customization, including the ability to put action figures and perk trophies on the walls and change the colours of walls, floors and furniture as well as their location
    7. Improved guest list access so friends can enter at any time
    8. Message board so friends can leave drawings and notes

And any other things that will give people a reason to actually visit the hideouts.
    edited August 2011
    Would it be at all possible to allow players to assign a door somewhere in the world that others could (with permission) enter the base? Some business or skyscraper in Millennium City, a cave in Canada or Monster Island, or any variety of other places could be made available. I just don't know if it would require a lot of reworking of the game code (though at least some of that code would probably be helpful for a Forge/Foundry system).
    edited August 2011
    I would like quests to happen in the hideouts. Or at least Nemesis missions that your bad-guy takes it over or tries to find it, etc.
    edited August 2011
    If there's a possibility of Missions where your Nemesis invades your Hideout -- and I'm ambivalent on whether I'd want that -- I think it'd work best as a "put your Nemesis in prison" sort of Mission.
    edited August 2011
    Would it be at all possible to allow players to assign a door somewhere in the world that others could (with permission) enter the base? Some business or skyscraper in Millennium City, a cave in Canada or Monster Island, or any variety of other places could be made available. I just don't know if it would require a lot of reworking of the game code (though at least some of that code would probably be helpful for a Forge/Foundry system).

Yessssss!! I've wanted "traditional" entrances since they launched... just because it'd be interesting to have a traditional entrance in terms of immersion and also what you have outlined here. Not saying get rid of the current way we get to hideouts, just saying this suggestion is also nice... even though I expanded it some lol
    edited August 2011
    I know what should be added a small cage or jail for our nemesis after they are defeated!
    edited September 2011
    I posted in the wrong threat so putting this here:
    mailbox
    ability for crime computer to access Socrates missions.
    edited September 2011
    The shared storage in the hideouts is nice but 10 slots is kind of small. Any chance we could buy this up the way we do with normal bank slots?
    edited September 2011
    The shared storage in the hideouts is nice but 10 slots is kind of small. Any chance we could buy this up the way we do with normal bank slots?
    Going by the calendar, that should be available by Sept. 25th.
    edited September 2011
    Ok, since we're never going to get a transportation room for our Hideouts (I still don't understand that), can we at least get a way to transfer directly from one hideout we own to another?
    edited September 2011
    DANGER ROOM!

Setting up a training environment would be nice.

If we ever get Super Group bases, this would be perfect.

Imagine having boss fights, legendaries and cosmics.
    Don't hand it out like candy. Sell them one at a time.

Want the final fight from Robot Factory in your DANGER ROOM? 340 points.
    What about Shadow Destroyer? 340 points.

GIving super groups the ability to plan and practice hard fights not only generates revenue for Cryptic but also adds value to the Super Group model and gives the players ownership.
    edited September 2011
    It would be nice to see some passive buffs put on you when you logout for X time in your hideout. Things like:
    • Star's partially and fully replenish over X hours
    • Y% extra XP (or resources if you're 40) for Z hour(s), when you've logged out in your hideout for over X hours
    • A random once per day repeatable mission that flat out gives you a buff that lasts for a few hours that either increases Acclaim, Unity, or Nem tokens by a little.
    • A single, refresh-able stat buff that lasts for a short while, tied to the kind of hideout you're in

Making these features for Gold members = fine by me!
    edited September 2011
    I'd like if we put crafting components in our shared bank from one character that it would be available to all characters without having to remove them from the bank.
    edited September 2011
    Since the Loft and Penthouse have beds could we have a couple emotes to actually lay down?
    edited September 2011
    Bank storage in the Penthouse, how does that work again? - conceptually we talking Pc-banking via a computer?, or a vault in a wall behind an oil-painting which slides up or open on a hinge.
    edited September 2011
    Bank storage in the Penthouse, how does that work again? - conceptually we talking Pc-banking via a computer?, or a vault in a wall behind an oil-painting which slides up or open on a hinge.

It works with your crime computer in your hideout.
    edited September 2011
    With the sheer wealth of options Penthouse gives us I'd really like to see a save/load layout option for hideouts. :)
    edited September 2011
    Penthouse’s Tailor: Instead of weapons, a costume display or mannequin, or something to that effect.
    Some heroes don’t really have the use for weapons.

That’s the only thing, I think, feels kinda out of place there. Phenomenal work otherwise. I really love it. :)
    edited September 2011
    Spordelia wrote:
    Penthouse’s Tailor: Instead of weapons, a costume display or mannequin, or something to that effect.
    Some heroes don’t really have the use for weapons.

That’s the only thing, I think, feels kinda out of place there. Phenomenal work otherwise. I really love it. :)

I agree with this. Have the option for Costumes, Robot parts, Power Armor like suits, Martial Arts Weapons, even a Mystical Altar.
    edited September 2011
    Oh, I absolutely agree. I would love to have more costume centric tailors (makes more sense too).

The problem is, while we have a ton of costume parts, none of them are set up to be placed in the world like normal objects I work with. All of them have crazy materials on them, allowing you to swap textures, colors, etc, but which makes putting them in through our normal world editor a pain. Plus, none of them have interior polygons, so if I did put them in, straight from the costume, you'd be able to see straight through the inside.

The bottom line is that converting costume parts to make them usable as world geometry is doable, but takes a lot of work. I converted a few bulletproof vests and the like for the Vigilante basement, and hope to make some more conversions in the future, but it takes a lot more time than it's usually worth.

Plus. . . I'm kind of holding out hope that we can get a mannequin system for you guys, which would solve much of that kind of problem on it's own.
    edited September 2011
    Well, not REAL costume pieces in the closet like that. Maybe an actual closet filled with clothes, or with generic tights and armors and such. I think having actual Tailor pieces in a closet is a bit much to ask for
    edited September 2011
    uh. . . . well, even with the conversion work, I think it would be much faster and easier to take real costume parts, rather than hand building a bunch of clothes specifically for hideouts, that no one could use on their characters (that would be like incendiary lemons.)
    edited September 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    uh. . . . well, even with the conversion work, I think it would be much faster and easier to take real costume parts, rather than hand building a bunch of clothes specifically for hideouts, that no one could use on their characters (that would be like incendiary lemons.)

What about the mannequins over by the MC tailors? I noticed the costume pieces on them tend to randomly change when you enter and exit the zone. Anyway to work those existing ones in? People could maybe get the option to choose which of those costumes bests fit their character, then have that costume randomly change styles, like it does in MC, every time you enter the Penthouse.

At least it would be something, until a way to convert regular costumes is figured out.
    edited September 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    ... (that would be like incendiary lemons.)

That's it. You've been promising a fruit powerset for two years now, and now you taunt us with this :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    edited September 2011
    The mannequins in Ren Cen are hand build costumes, by the character team. They're just like any other NPC.

We don't have any way to allow you to customize an NPC's costume, and save it to the mannequin. And currently, if we put in an NPC spawn, it's on, all the time. No way for you to choose to turn it off, move it, swap it with anything else. That will take tech that we don't have yet.

Like I said. . . I'm holding out hope that we will get some Mannequin tech at some point, and it will remedy this stuff, but for now, I don't have it.
    edited September 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    The mannequins in Ren Cen are hand build costumes, by the character team. They're just like any other NPC.

We don't have any way to allow you to customize an NPC's costume, and save it to the mannequin. And currently, if we put in an NPC spawn, it's on, all the time. No way for you to choose to turn it off, move it, swap it with anything else. That will take tech that we don't have yet.

Like I said. . . I'm holding out hope that we will get some Mannequin tech at some point, and it will remedy this stuff, but for now, I don't have it.

Oh, ok, so you couldn't have the Vigilante Closet have the Ninja Warrior Mannequin, Alien Ranged Closet have the Wired Cyborg mannequin, or the Alien Melee Closet have the Swamp King mannequin?

Well, nertz.
    edited September 2011
    I note Entrance/Exit Keybinds in the opening list. Even just a single keystroke to get the Hideouts menu (as opposed to going through the Maps menu) would be fantastic. (Is the "B" doing anything right now?)
    edited September 2011
    Dialam wrote:
    Oh, ok, so you couldn't have the Vigilante Closet have the Ninja Warrior Mannequin, Alien Ranged Closet have the Wired Cyborg mannequin, or the Alien Melee Closet have the Swamp King mannequin?

Well, nertz.

If we added all of those, as NPCs to the hideouts now, they would all be standing around, all the time.

I note Entrance/Exit Keybinds in the opening list. Even just a single keystroke to get the Hideouts menu (as opposed to going through the Maps menu) would be fantastic. (Is the "B" doing anything right now?)

You can right click your character's portrait and hit "goto hideout"
    It will go to whatever hideout was last chosen.
    edited September 2011

You can make your own bind. To pull up the hideout menu:

/bind b "hideout"

Replace b with any key you desire.
    edited September 2011

/bind b "hideout"

You can also go to your hideout via right clicking on your portrait.
    edited September 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    You can right click your character's portrait and hit "goto hideout"
    It will go to whatever hideout was last chosen.

/bind b "hideout"

Between these two (if they work successfully on my system) I'd have what I was asking for.

Thank you both for your assistance. :)
    edited September 2011
    Not to be a pooper of parties but would it not be a better idea to save all these cool functions for the powergroup halls?

What I mean is if you are within a large guild (or small even) and you have a hall then that would be the most sociable area to use functions like this. My idea being the powergroup hall would be a lot larger than personal hideouts.

I also figured the powergroup hall would be connected somehow to each players hideout. For example each hideout we have had so far has doors that are not useable. I figured those would be used to enter the main powergroup hall and then use all the fun features suggested.
    edited September 2011
    Sparkeh86 wrote:
    Not to be a pooper of parties but would it not be a better idea to save all these cool functions for the powergroup halls?

What I mean is if you are within a large guild (or small even) and you have a hall then that would be the most sociable area to use functions like this. My idea being the powergroup hall would be a lot larger than personal hideouts.

I also figured the powergroup hall would be connected somehow to each players hideout. For example each hideout we have had so far has doors that are not useable. I figured those would be used to enter the main powergroup hall and then use all the fun features suggested.

No, for a few reasons. One, not every is, or wants to be, in a Supergroup. They shouldn't have to suffer for playing as they wish. Two, an SG base wouldn't be personally customizable. You're stuck with what ever the SG leader chooses. Three, I, personally, want hideouts to be meaningful, functional and serve a purpose. They are, for the most part at the moment, nothing more than novelty trinkets. The only real use they have is the shared Hideout bank. The Penthouse is the only one that has two purposes, as you can also travel to it from anywhere and then use it to go to MC if you like. Kind of like a personal, portable Jet. But that only works for people who don't use Tunneling or Super/Light Speed.

That's why I felt we were getting cheated when they said we couldn't have transporter rooms for Hideouts. That's yet another very useful option taken away from the Hideouts.

So there's my 2 cents on the subject.
    edited September 2011

/bind b "hideout"

I just want to mention that this works beautifully for both functions I asked for.

If the Hideout Customization menu didn't pop up whenever I enter that would be ideal, but that's not a huge thing right now since I can now just bit "B" and it's gone.
    edited September 2011
    Certain features just don't make sense in a hideout. Like teleporters. If you're stuck in Mom's basement using a Playstation as a crime computer where on Earth would you get a teleporter? Same thing with some of the caves, or even the penthouse (just cause you're rich doesn't mean you have access to future or alien tech).

And as Tumer has said before, he's limited in the kinds of things he can add to hideouts in order to keep them from giving players any kind of advantage over others that don't have one and/or reducing the social aspect of world hubs. It's unfortunate, but their very nature dictates their limited functionality.
    edited September 2011
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before or not, but is there a specific reason why we cannot duel in our hideouts? A lot of them have nice open spaces with interesting obstacles that would make them ideal for this purpose, if you and a few friends want to get together and just brawl.
    edited September 2011
    Certain features just don't make sense in a hideout. Like teleporters. If you're stuck in Mom's basement using a Playstation as a crime computer where on Earth would you get a teleporter? Same thing with some of the caves, or even the penthouse (just cause you're rich doesn't mean you have access to future or alien tech).

And as Tumer has said before, he's limited in the kinds of things he can add to hideouts in order to keep them from giving players any kind of advantage over others that don't have one and/or reducing the social aspect of world hubs. It's unfortunate, but their very nature dictates their limited functionality.

You have a point, but a transporter room doesn't have to mean Teleporters. Mom's Basement could have a door to the garage, where Mom's Mini-Van could be. Going near it gives you a list of places to zone to. Vigilante could have a van, motorcycle (not the broken one in the center of the base) or some other vehicle. Caves could have an underground Jet Hangar, Boat/Sub Dock, or Car (like the Batcave has). Penthouse could have a Helicopter on the roof. The elevator could lead to an underground parking garage, or a secret personal Jet hangar (like the Fantastic Four have in the Baxter Building). The Moon would obviously be an interplanetary jet or rocket ship. The Sanctums could have mystical doorways.

All of these would allow you to transport your toon to any of the locations you have available to you the same way the Super Jet in MC does. They also mean more customization and expansion for the Hideouts, and give Hideouts a major boost to their usefulness.
    edited September 2011
    Well I admit it sounds reasonable enough, but also sounds like a lot of work to build all that stuff. I'm not against it, cause it sounds cool, but I could see that as being the reason given as to why it won't get done.

Either that or they just don't want teleporters in hideouts; they want to save them for supergroup bases.
    edited September 2011
    Empyreal10 wrote:
    I'm not sure if this has been brought up before or not, but is there a specific reason why we cannot duel in our hideouts? A lot of them have nice open spaces with interesting obstacles that would make them ideal for this purpose, if you and a few friends want to get together and just brawl.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this falls under "social aspects"; things they don't want you to do in your hideouts as it would lure people away from Ren Center. But that's just an educated guess.
    edited September 2011
    Ok, here's an idea. Lets compromise. SG bases get the teleporters that let you travel anywhere in the world, as planned. Hideouts still get a transport room, but to keep the SG base teleporters superior, the Hideout transport rooms are limited to where you can go. We'll keep the Hideout transport rooms strictly to America, meaning you can only travel to MC, Desert, and VB. Three different areas with differing level ranges. This allows Hideouts to be useful and fun while still keeping the SG bases superior and the preferred travel method.

Hideouts will not have the teleporters, but rather some kind of garage/hangar/dock with a vehicle. Each base type gets its own vehicle and you can choose which vehicle to further customize the Hideout.

Basements get garages.
    Mom's Basement has a Station Wagon.
    Vigilante Base has a Vigilante Van
    Hi-Tech Basement gets a VIPER Hovercycle

Caves get an open cavern.
    Industrial Cave gets a boat that can withstand high heat and freezing temperatures. Its sits at a dock in an underground water way. The Lava cave has lava falling into the water causing steam. Ice has frozen water with the ice broken where the boat travels. Rock and Tropical just have a normal water way.
    Hi-Tech Cave has a metal platform in place of the Dock and a closed hatch in the ceiling. The platform has a Hi-Tech personal Jet (like Batman has)
    Primal cave can get either a Kayak/Canoe that works the same way as the Industrial Boat. Or there could be a rock platform (in place of the Hi-tech platform) with a mystical Transporter crystal.

Moons will have Spaceship Docking areas.
    Retro Moon Base will have a Retro Rocket Ship
    60's Base will have a more Hi-Tech Retro Rocket Ship
    Agency Moon Base will have a Hi-Tech, Futuristic Space Ship

Sanctums will get Magic doors.
    Arcane Sanctums will get an Arcane Portal
    Alchemist Sanctums get a Rune Portal
    Duidic Sanctums get a Tree Portal

Penthouses get Roof Top landing pads.
    Luxury Penthouses get a Personal Jet (updated for vertical take off)
    Loft Penthouses get a Personal Helicopter
    edited September 2011
    You're preaching to the choir here. I'm not the one you have to convince! ;)
    edited September 2011
    You're preaching to the choir here. I'm not the one you have to convince! ;)

That was more for Tumer and Robobo really :p
    edited September 2011
    Showing tailor works to friend in hideouts until confirmations like Powerhouses before getting outside.

It would allow a bit to strut someone's character in new costume or newly won costume items/pieces until being ready to get out and then realize that it was a lot of Globals and then turn away and revert back to the costume in wich the toon have to earn thoses ressources to get the wanted new costume shown or bragged all around about.

Also, we use a bit those hideouts with the groups now so... it can help discussing uniform pieces and displaying them before hitting a go.

It is not just for a hideout in peculiar but all ;)
    edited September 2011
    Hollidays themed decorations in the hideouts.

Might be unlockables, buildable, winnable, wathever. It'd just be nice even if temporary... There might be a few Grinches around on any peculiar type of hollidays but...

(BTW, I also like the buildable NPC could as well be a pet... I'm wondering if Nemeses could emerge once a while too surprised by the fact there is more than a hero in there... Mmmm NPCs and Nemeses :P)

Ah... May as well give that suggestion as well then;

Surprise visit in Hideouts (start-up missions)

With a possibility to turn it off in the preferences for some minions in some hideouts. But could vary as mission starters as a contact call, TV anouncement, Viliain barging in, guest's viliains barging in, a NPC such Harmon's trying to get ahold on one hero (I guess barging injured hero could be exceptional too, Foxbat stalking in-door falling bay accident on another hero's turf while trying to hide or get some equipement.

I don't know if a visit from Santa would give a Christmass decoration set ;) ...
    edited September 2011
    I love the secert room in the penthouse hideout. The rotating desk is great and I think its great the switches operate it.

Some things to consider;

Until SG's get a fully-fledged SG base system, they will be using this room a lot as their main base of operations.
    With this in mind;

The privacy wall shielding that slides up, could you please line the inside of it with recessed costume slots (like the recessed humanoid costume slot in the torture room in the nemesis mission 'Bunker Buster'.

Tv screens and various graphics displays lining the perimeter wall, maybe some arms slots or recessed book (manuals) shelving.

Perhaps an additional leather couch looking over the city would also be ideally placed to sit down and watch (instead of the city vista through the windows) the tv and monitor screens.

Maybe an alternative exit like a camera-shutter style iris could open in the floor and a firemans pole extend down from the ceiling down into the hole. Clicking on the pole would be an exit to street-level.

Artwork, oil painting portaits or framed 'thankyou' certificates from officials flipping over with the secret switch to reveal displays and monitors.

Monitors folding or sliding down from the ceiling.

Holographic communicator pedestal.

Shakespearian bust with flip-top secret switch.

Tony Stark style graphics on windows with weather across zones, temp, windspeed, sea temperature and emergencies in area and Mega-D alert graphics.
    edited September 2011
    Here's something I'd love to have in Hideouts, but not sure it would work. I'm putting it up in case it's not quite the logistical nightmare I think it might be.

Let the Hideouts have music playing from some source (jukebox, stereo, DJ station, or whatever), with songs from the player's personal playlist. This would go a long ways toward creating an ambiance in the place, and probably encourage using them as social gathering places.

Why the player's playlist? So the music can be tailored to the character. Using my two characters and the music I have as examples, Red Streak would probably cycle through a lot of bond while Bick Butaine would be more into Candy Dulfer.

The main nightmares I can see on this would be when guests arrive. First, there's the matter of bandwidth as the audio is pumped from the player's computer (or possibly a third-party server) through Cryptic and to the guests' systems. That could be sidestepped by giving the system a peer-to-peer system, but that would be a lot of programming work for such a small feature (even if just inserting a synchronized audio system in the first place wouldn't be).

Then there's the matter of royalties. Would ASCAP, the RIAA, and others be jumping all over Cryptic over copyright violations unless they arranged for payments? If the Hideout Jukebox was a C-Store item, would that pay for those royalties? Or could the responsibility be left to the players?

If there's a way past these obstacles (and any others I haven't thought of), I think this would be awesome.
    edited September 2011
    Here's a crazy idea... Seasonal Decorations!

Not sure if it would even be possible, but have the option to redecorate our Hideouts for Halloween, Christmas, and Chanukah.

An example would be an option in the Penthouse Living Room to have a large Christmas Tree with presents and Christmas themed furniture around the tree. Christmas lights around the windows and Balcony Railing. Festive tinsel around the indoor railings and the stairs railings. Maybe a Christmas Dinner Table that has a Christmas dinner set on it.