test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Official Hideout Functionality Thread!

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited November 2011
    The elves have been busy. . .
    edited November 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

It looks fantastic, but is it really pertinent to Hideout functionality?

(Because it would be so massively cool if it is....) :D
    edited November 2011
    No, nothing to do with hideouts, just following the thread of conversation. . . Sorry if I got any hopes up.
    edited November 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:
    No, nothing to do with hideouts, just following the thread of conversation. . . Sorry if I got any hopes up.

Just like that motorcycle in the vigilante basement ...

(or the water in the Hot Tub)

That's just cruel man. So cruel. </3
    edited November 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

You know, there is a way to change that, though. ;)
    edited November 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

Whoa sexay!! looking great, can't wait to see what Santa Taco will bring us this year.
    edited November 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

Black Harls has stolen all the presents...hasn't he?
    edited November 2011
    Lohr wrote:
    Black Harls has stolen all the presents...hasn't he?

Not quite. . .
    edited November 2011
    I KNOW THAT ROOM!

I know rooms get reused all the time in this game, but I remember that one. That's from the Viper Base in Millenium City Dowtown. The Reptile Reconissance one.

.... and the dawning realization that I play this game too much comes to fruition. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll reaquaint myself with reality and that thing called "outside".... :rolleyes:
    edited November 2011
    Roadwulf wrote:
    I KNOW THAT ROOM!

I know rooms get reused all the time in this game, but I remember that one. That's from the Viper Base in Millenium City Dowtown. The Reptile Reconissance one.

.... and the dawning realization that I play this game too much comes to fruition. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll reaquaint myself with reality and that thing called "outside".... :rolleyes:

Wow! That is . . . astounding!

Especially since I made the room from scratch a couple weeks ago. . .

Though it is using the same warehouse kit used in many, many maps in CO.
    edited November 2011
    *Ignoring the conversatin above about christmas presents I start asking for my own presents*

Dear TumerSanta,

For Christmas I'd like:
    -A market terminal in my Hideout
    -A teleportation device to unlocked spawnpoints
    -A communication device to talk to my known contacts in my crime computer (in my hideout)
    -A pony for Tiny Tim
    -A stuffed goose for Ebenezer Scrooge

I\ll promise not to wee on your lap again when you visit the shopping centre this year.

Thank you

Andrew
    edited November 2011
    To clarify an earlier comment:

Gift Storage would be a great option for Under the Stairs (or even the Tailor area) in Mom's Basement. It might be interesting to put somewhere in the Industrial Cave too.

It just now occurred to me, in keeping with the title of the thread, that it could also be one form for interfacing with the planned-on XP gifting.
    edited December 2011
    Tumerboy wrote:

New Desk Top!!! :D

Edit - And the perfect wav to hear when booting up the that desk top pic IS...

{ top of the pile }
    http://www.dailywav.com/program.php?Program=MerryMadagascar

Isn't that the perfect villainous sound bite for that pic? :D
    edited December 2011
    Since I'm digging through forums anyway....

Why not add you're own personal NPC yesman/butler/lackey/gimp that spouts random platitudes? Have them set to congradulate you an the latest mission completed, level ups and purchases with the occasional non sequitor remarks to earn them a chuckle. Customizable ala Nemesis but severely restricted to fit the hideout, purchasable from the C-store to appease the greedy devs that enjoy being able to eat on a semi-regular basis.

In fact, to sell any of these ideas the best bet for the addons is for them to be first optional and second unlockable through gameplay or C-store. I group the last two together because I believe it's important for everything to be attainable to a silver with the C-store just a convenience that saves you 10 game hours of grinding.
    edited December 2011
    I would like to suggest a room for all hideouts excluding the Penthouse (as it already has it): Living Quarters. For those heroes who require such an activity, where are they supposed to sleep if there is no bed? Where are they supposed to make and/or receive sustenance if there is no kitchen or refueling station? Hopefully I do not need to go on.
    edited December 2011
    Let us use stuff from one hideout in another.
    edited December 2011
    My 2 cents

What if owned hideouts are connected?

Example: Take an elevator down from Penthouse into Basement or up to roof where you blast off to the Moonbase.
    edited December 2011
    Possible suggestion: what if the tailor in the hideout either gave a discount or now this is totally crazy had no price to alter costumes at all?! - It might encourage more hideout sales, heck shared banking got me interested in a hideout.
    edited December 2011
    When purchasing multiple hideouts, have the shared banks seperate. That way it's just not an overlay and would give incentive for purchasing multiple hideouts, otherwise, it is just a waste of cp's (much to my dismay)
    edited December 2011
    I just want to repeat my request for the Hideout Crime Computer to also operate as an UNTIL mail terminal.
    edited January 2012
    I just want to repeat my request for the Hideout Crime Computer to also operate as an UNTIL mail terminal.

That would make heaps of sense!
    edited January 2012
    Would it be possible to have part of an adventure pack occur in a players hideout?

Have some heinous mastermind having tracked the hero to their hideout (maybe planting a tracking device in a plot-item they drop for the hero to recover and take back to base to study), and the player must fight off an attack of several waves of minions invading their own base before tracking down and stopping the fiend in charge. The minions could be themed to each hideout, space minions for the moonbases, fake cleaning or maintenance staff for the penthouses, fake police for the basement.
    edited January 2012
    Would it be possible to have part of an adventure pack occur in a players hideout?

Have some heinous mastermind having tracked the hero to their hideout (maybe planting a tracking device in a plot-item they drop for the hero to recover and take back to base to study), and the player must fight off an attack of several waves of minions invading their own base before tracking down and stopping the fiend in charge. The minions could be themed to each hideout, space minions for the moonbases, fake cleaning or maintenance staff for the penthouses, fake police for the basement.

Another possibility is a beat-up fellow hero who shows up at your Hideout to ask for help. (In keeping with CU tradition, this should be Nighthawk.)
    edited January 2012
    2 problems with missions in people's hideouts.

1) All hideouts are tiny. Yes, even the big ones. Compared to any mission map, your hideout is tiny, and there is very little room for anything more than a single fight. Yes, we could potentially have a finale boss fight there I guess, but that brings me to point 2. :::points down::::

2) Many people do not want anyone to know where their hideout is. In character, if a villain has discovered my hideout, I have failed. Some people don't mind that, and think it's an interesting story element, others find it entirely unpalatable. As such, any mission leading to a person's hideout, would have to be both optional, and clearly state where it goes, thus kind of defeating the 'SURPRISE!' element.

In addition, we don't have any tech to support this. We would need some way to figure out who's hideout to use, convert that to a mission map, populate it, etc. etc. etc. i.e. it's a lot of extra work, and combined with the above, I doubt it will happen.
    edited January 2012
    Pssh I fought a boss just fine in my hideout.

I just used the Summon Kryptos device from VB Crisis in my hideout and since I'm the only person there it met his 'fight must be done in secret' rule and we duked it out, and won by throwing him into the pit of death in my cave.

So see it is possible
    Yes I know what you mean Tumerboy, but hey if you ever for some reason need a fight in a hideout and want to 'keep it secret' just do the boss device thing and simply have a prior objective of 'go to hideout' bonus point for giving people without a hideout to say go to an npcs hideout instead where they help you fight it.
    edited January 2012
    Ryko_Nailo wrote:
    Pssh I fought a boss just fine in my hideout.

I just used the Summon Kryptos device from VB Crisis in my hideout and since I'm the only person there it met his 'fight must be done in secret' rule and we duked it out, and won by throwing him into the pit of death in my cave.

So see it is possible
    Yes I know what you mean Tumerboy, but hey if you ever for some reason need a fight in a hideout and want to 'keep it secret' just do the boss device thing and simply have a prior objective of 'go to hideout' bonus point for giving people without a hideout to say go to an npcs hideout instead where they help you fight it.

Cool; I couldn't get OUT of the crisis of VB ^^
    edited January 2012
    what about a cinematic exit option?

I'm thinking of the cool retro-scifi vid from cryptic where the heroes walk out of the moonbase and take off and then arrive at millenium city in the air.

I've tried recreating that myself in my own moonbase, but of course after go outside and fly towards earth i hit the invisible wall, then have to turn around go back to the airlock and then use the exit command. And in my other heroes cave it's just standing in the lift shaft.

I don't know if its possible but i'd love it if i could have an optional mini-cinematic leaving the hideout option. On the moonbase it'd be walking out the airlock and travel-powering towards earth, with the cave it'd be a dramatic camera-view stepping into the elevator, turning round with close-up and then the lift raising the character out of camera-view.

And if i could arrive, by choice, in the air at millenium city it'd be great.
    edited January 2012
    I wouldn't mind being able to choose where I go from my hideout, but it seems all private instances return you to were you came from.

They are private instances, right?

And on my super wish list: Having all of my alts hanging around, going through a series of pre-programmed routines like the random citizens in a Final Fantasy game. But since a lot of people have 4000 alts I bet that'd be impossible as well.
    edited January 2012
    twg042370 wrote:
    And on my super wish list: Having all of my alts hanging around, going through a series of pre-programmed routines like the random citizens in a Final Fantasy game. But since a lot of people have 4000 alts I bet that'd be impossible as well.

I don't know that it would be impossible. One of the most asked-for things in this thread (in my observation, anyway) is custom NPCs, which we could model with the Costume Creator and program with certain routine actions and/or dialogue.

Given that, it should be relatively easy to stick your other characters in each character's Hideout by creating the appropriate number of NPCs. For each one you'd create the NPC, load a char's costume, place them where you want, and declare what you want them to do and/or say.

The original thought was to have personal staff: butler, cook, maid, tailor, valet, secretary, security guards, and so forth. But having your other characters hanging around shouldn't be that different.
    edited January 2012
    I don't know that it would be impossible. One of the most asked-for things in this thread (in my observation, anyway) is custom NPCs, which we could model with the Costume Creator and program with certain routine actions and/or dialogue.

Given that, it should be relatively easy to stick your other characters in each character's Hideout by creating the appropriate number of NPCs. For each one you'd create the NPC, load a char's costume, place them where you want, and declare what you want them to do and/or say.

The original thought was to have personal staff: butler, cook, maid, tailor, valet, secretary, security guards, and so forth. But having your other characters hanging around shouldn't be that different.

Hey yeah thats a good point!

And it would be seriously awesome to have one of my other heroes and a support-staff member hanging around the base. Hmm what would i do with it.....

Oooo the sidekick idea! In my cave i could have my sidekick typing away on the computer while a butler wanders around. In the moonbase i could have someone at the conferance table and/or someone sleeping in a sleeping-tube, a staffer in a spacesuit doing repairwork on the Laser!

Yep that sure would be cool!
    edited January 2012
    Oh yeah, can we have a way to fire the laser on the moon please? :D MU-Hahahahaaaaa
    And/or at the least change the colour of it's glow?
    edited January 2012
    You know that pinball machine in moms basement? Kinda sad I can't use it to play a pinball mini-game :D
    edited January 2012
    You know that pinball machine in moms basement? Kinda sad I can't use it to play a pinball mini-game :D

I don't know about it being "kinda sad," but if we could actually play either that or the video game, I think it would be magnificent. If nothing else, it could help if we're out doing a "farming" Mission in a single-Instance location such as Canada or Monster Island, and someone else keeps spoiling our hunt. We can just retreat to the Hideout and play a few rounds until the offender gets frustrated (if it's being done deliberately) or finished with what they're doing (if it's not).

Unfortunately, it's probably more coding work than it would be worth.
    edited January 2012
    This one should be relatively simple: a photography studio with changing rooms and a Green Room, and possibly a Tailor function. Basically, our own representation of Greer & Harlick, right in our own Hideouts.

It would be a simple and extremely awesome way to help players build their own comics, portraits, and so forth.

Bonus points if the Green Room has a digital camera control. Using the mouse is analog, and relatively imprecise; using chat-bar commands is awkward. A pop-up dialog would just about fit the bill. (And this would be a good thing in the Powerhouse Green Room too.)
    edited January 2012
    Above all else, a crafting table is a must for me to make a serious use of the hideouts (SG Hall or no)

- gold member
    edited January 2012
    1626 wrote:
    Above all else, a crafting table is a must for me to make a serious use of the hideouts (SG Hall or no)

- gold member

Crafting tables and training rooms are already there.
    Tumerboy made those before his transfer.
    Why aren't they released yet? Beats me...
    edited January 2012
    1626 wrote:

- gold member

Crafting tables and training rooms are already there.
    Tumerboy made those before his transfer.
    Why aren't they released yet? Beats me...

I think the staff is just working to figure out how to make them available -- automatic, C-Store, Resources, or whatever else. My own idea is to make The Mountain a Hideout Vendor, and we can buy this kind of thing using Perk Points (on a per-character basis).
    edited January 2012
    I think the staff is just working to figure out how to make them available -- automatic, C-Store, Resources, or whatever else. My own idea is to make The Mountain a Hideout Vendor, and we can buy this kind of thing using Perk Points (on a per-character basis).

i was hoping just automatic. If i have to pay though i'd like it to have customisable options.
    edited January 2012
    Another thought about the practicality of a Hideout Vendor: that individual could also sell individual parts for Hideouts that don't go well in themes for that type of Hideout. For example, I've noticed that the storeroom off the basement includes a totem pole. No Basement theme that I'm aware of, either stated or proposed, would logically include that, yet I think it would look great in the Basement Hideout for my Grimoire character. If I could buy that one piece (Basement - Center Detail - Totem Pole) from a Hideout Vendor for, say, 75N or even 20CP, that would be fantastic.
    edited January 2012
    Another thought about the practicality of a Hideout Vendor: that individual could also sell individual parts for Hideouts that don't go well in themes for that type of Hideout. For example, I've noticed that the storeroom off the basement includes a totem pole. No Basement theme that I'm aware of, either stated or proposed, would logically include that, yet I think it would look great in the Basement Hideout for my Grimoire character. If I could buy that one piece (Basement - Center Detail - Totem Pole) from a Hideout Vendor for, say, 75N or even 20CP, that would be fantastic.

An Interior Decorator NPC selling Hideout parts... yeah, I could kinda see that.
    edited January 2012
    An Interior Decorator NPC selling Hideout parts... yeah, I could kinda see that.

Me too. That way maybe i could get a hologram table with my egg-chairs, a big shiny retro-scifi silver rocket parked outside the moonbase, a big art-deco-ish throne etc etc.
    edited January 2012

Maybe as an Event for the Hideout Anniversary, we could have a sort of "Trading Spaces: Superhero Edition." :D
    edited January 2012
    *shudder* the thought of some of mine, decorating someone else area. I can see them being chased with whatever weapons are at hand.
    edited February 2012
    I so agree with you Tumorboy. We need those functionalities to flush out the hideouts.
    edited February 2012
    Loganius wrote:
    I'd love a trophy room. Some trophies found, some bought on the C-Store, but the majority I'd like to see would be earned through perks.

*A giant Teliosaurus skull from defeating the big bad lizard.
    *Shadow Destroyer's battered helmet for freeing Mutlifaria
    *Etc

THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!! A PERK TROPHY ROOM!!! GENIUS!!! PURE FLIPPING GENIUS!!!!
    edited February 2012
    THIS IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!! A PERK TROPHY ROOM!!! GENIUS!!! PURE FLIPPING GENIUS!!!!

This and the Nemesis Information Room should (IMO) be the next functionality items for Hideouts, once Crafting and Training are done. :D
    edited February 2012

I like this too. Especially where we get to choose from a list what we display and can get specific things that we could tie-in to our own nemeses or the areas we have gamed in.
    edited February 2012
    I am SO pushing for customizable NPCs in your hideout. I want some of my alts (but not exclusive to) walking around, especially the ones that are actually related to each other.
    edited February 2012
    Buxom wrote:
    I am SO pushing for customizable NPCs in your hideout. I want some of my alts (but not exclusive to) walking around, especially the ones that are actually related to each other.

I think Tumerboy said something in another thread about this being highly unlikely -- standing NPCs need some kind of anchor that something as changeable as a Hideout doesn't have (not being personally familiar with the specific data structures involved, I don't know for sure). I suspect it's something under the heading of, "We probably could do it but it would be a lot of work so we'd want to make sure it was worth our while." And I completely understand that position, though at least two of my three PCs could find places in their Hideouts for standing NPCs.

I'd happily buy a Hideout NPC as a C-Store item -- maybe even several. Charge 80CP, and bind it to a specific character and a specific Hideout type (or, separately, charge 160 CP for an NPC who can be dropped into any of the character's Hideouts). The player can fully customize the NPC's appearance with the Character Creator, place him on the Hideout map (using an area-by-area dropdown menu if drag-and-drop is too much to ask for), choose an emote (or script a cycle of several) for how that NPC behaves, and so forth. We might even be able to enter a box of text or three for how that NPC responds to certain actions and events, such as entering the Hideout, a guest entering, mail arriving, a Mission Alert, activation of certain Powers or Hideout Devices (such as the sliding wall in the Penthouse, or the torture vat in one of the Sanctums), and so forth.
    edited February 2012
    I'm thinking about something; just on the basement (wich I like mixing Basic and Tech).

I'm kinda wondering if we could get more choices fragmentations in the future to custumize some of our hideouts. I'm not retaining the name of the options by heart now typing this, but... I think it might be vivid to whom looked those or made them. ^^ (BTW, thanks for making them.)

For example (and maybe because it is enough small to notice the difference) the basement could;

Keep mom's TV set with the hightech couch and without any hologram on the table or even make chose wich existing table we do want... Altough the torturing chair in front of the TV screen would seems kinda odd.

Same with the bed in the artillery corner but on Mom's laundry corner

I also spotted a fridge that I would get close to hightech desk... But, that's just me.

Ah... One slight defect I now almost always gets in Mom's Basement on the computer corner, soda pop cans and a mini radar dish are floating on top of an invisible machine. And sometimes some objects there are gone missing.

And one compliment over that volley ball we get in mom's basement... I kinda let my chars do mini soccer games with hero guests in the corner by just running in it attempting to get them in a wall side. :P (There are so much places in game we could do stuff like that... but only in hideouts such things close as Destroid bowling with lampost wont get interrupted ;) )