test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Server not responding/Connection issues

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited November 2009
    Just a quick note to say tried all the fixes, uninstalled,spent ten pointless hours reinstalling only to be faced with "connecting to login server" and then timeout yet again,which was my original problem. It's been a month without CO in the UK for me. Shame as I signed on for 6months.
    edited November 2009
    Same as everyone else. Tried everything nothing works, sent every info possible to Cryptic short of my three sizes (which would be awkward as I'm a dude) several times, and they've yet to even identify the problem.

It gets progressively worse in instances, whether personal or grouped.
    edited November 2009
    ok this is getting tiresome, i played sat. with no problems not 1. now today i cant even get past the atarii logo. i will not download this game again. seems to me atleast once or twise a month i get this problem. and now the loader wont even get to that point till i get the program is not responding. :(
    update: the screen flashes once then it says "program is not responding."
    edited December 2009
    ok this is getting tiresome, i played sat. with no problems not 1. now today i cant even get past the atarii logo. i will not download this game again. seems to me atleast once or twise a month i get this problem. and now the loader wont even get to that point till i get the program is not responding. :(
    update: the screen flashes once then it says "program is not responding."
    Pretty much. It's an intermittent problem that they've yet to find the cause. At least, if I knew it was on my side, I could take steps to fix it but being in the dark is pretty much failure.
    edited December 2009
    Pretty much. It's an intermittent problem that they've yet to find the cause. At least, if I knew it was on my side, I could take steps to fix it but being in the dark is pretty much failure.

From all my testing it has to do with packet loss/filtering. The best fix so far is to pay a service fee to a proxy service. However, while this does correct the issue, it is a poor choice to offer an MMO service where it is the only one to not offer stable connectivity to the US and other regions, where they offer their service. Then on top of that, most times I see the responsibility of the issues for connectivity being laid at the customers feet for resolution.

Once would think if certain characteristics of the Cryptic games are causing the communication packets to become filtered, they would alter it to be similar to the other existing MMO's out there and avoid the problem.
    edited December 2009
    We have seen that the server not responding issues and general connection issues seem to stem from the connection to our servers either being filtered or blocked (for most not all).These methods could also help users with launcher connection issues as well. Here are some steps to hopefully eliminate these issues, and if these steps do not work then please contact our technical support team.
    1. Make sure your divers are up to date. (Video and audio) This just helps eliminate the need for this step later on.
    2. Try connecting directly to the modem (if you’re using a Modem router gateway skip this step).
    3. Make sure ports 7000-7499 are open on your router and through your ISP. Instructions on how to do this can be found with your router or on the manufactures website. Do not forward the ports especially if someone else on the network is attempting to access Champions, as this can block them from connecting.
    4. Disable any and all Adware, spyware, Anti-Virus, firewalls, or any type of application that monitors your internet connectivity as this can either block or filter your connection to Champions online. If the application requires it make sure to create an exception for Champions.
    5. Make sure you are running the application as an administrator. In Windows 7 and Vista you can right click on the icon and select “Run as administrator”.

If none of these steps correct the issue then we can investigate it further.

None of these these steps have helped anyone that has had this problem since the Nov. 17th patch. Before this patch I had a flawless connection and really good game experience. After the patch I've had severe rubber banding, disconnects, and unrealistic load times. I have talked to many other players in the game that are having the same problem, however other players are just fine. The ones that are having the same problem are on different operating systems, different ISPs and in different parts of the world. I have tried everything on your connection troubleshooting guide to no avail. The only thing that changed on my PC from the night of the 16th when CO was running fine, to the morning of the 17th when it was running terrible is the patch. After much troubleshooting I am convinced that the problem is simply not at my end. Is it possible that maybe it wasn't the patch itself that changed but maybe network maintenance that was done during the patch window? I have a feeling the server is treating my connection as dial up when I'm actually on cable internet. This issue was addressed in another thread by GM_Doog, where efforts seemed to be abandoned after a "all better right?" post. With the problem not fixed and the thread went dry, I decided to submit a help ticket last week. I checked my account this morning to find that the ticked had been closed and I had been referrd to www.champions-online.com/support/tech which just has some basic troubleshooting and a link to submit a ticket. It is starting to feel like I'm getting the run around, and when I see other players on the forums with this problem the only response they are getting is the basic troubleshooting guide. Is this problem being worked on? Is there anything I (or the player community) can do to help troubleshoot? I was really enjoying playing before this started hapening, you guys have made a quality game. However, there are now times when the game is unplayable and it is incredibly frustrating. Here is the content of my support ticket:

After the Nov. 17th Patch I started having these problems:

- Patcher takes between 10-20 seconds for the Play button to highlight, when it used to be instant
    - Loading of maps now takes over a minute, when it used to takes less than ~20 seconds
    - Latency on all maps and instances is high, experiencing rubber banding and character / npc freezing
    - Often receive the 'SERVER NOT RESPONDING' error, during both map loading and game play, which sometimes leads to disconnect
    - When I do load in to a map, my character begins warping all over the place for about 30+ seconds before I can move again

Tried everything on your troubleshooting guide that is posted on the forums and had no luck. Ran nettest.exe and the third column is between 10-40kb sec on all ports, the next two columns are all zero, and the last column is 500.
    When I switch to the EU proxy option the in game trouble is lessened but is nowhere near how well it ran before the patch.
    edited December 2009
    Just like all the rest this is happening to me as well......my biggest fear at the moment though is Star Trek Online will also be Atari. I am now having buyers remorse on the pr-order of that game. I have enjoyed CO for the last few months but in the last 4 days my playing experience has gone down the drain. I have also tried all the Trouble-shooting techniques but can still raarely be able to log on, or if I am lucky enough to, to only be kicked off 5-10 minutes later and especially if I zone. This is becoming rather frustrating.
    edited December 2009
    aww this started to happen to me again. :( goes to the atarii logo then it goes not responding.
    edited December 2009
    roguecore
    your nettest results are showing your packets and the ports tested are being filtered. Good connections (no filtering) will have values on column 1 and 3 300-500 and around 20 on column 2. If you are less than that you will have trouble connecting to and playing the game. It will not clear until what is causing the problem from your PC to your ISP to the ISP routing to the game servers is fixed.
    edited December 2009
    [QUOTE=Implausible
    [*] Make sure you are running the application as an administrator. In Windows 7 and Vista you can right click on the icon and select “Run as administrator”.
    [/QUOTE]

Well. I was all ready to post my abysmal (20, 1, 20 on average) nettest results and my flawless tracert and beg the community for help. Then I rolled my eyes and ticked the placebo checkbox here so I could say I had tried it. Or.. what.. should have been.. a placebo. It's only been a few hours but this seems almost playable now.

I know I should be happy that it is suddenly like a new game. I land in front of items and receive prompts in a timely fashion. I use skills and see linear distribution of the results instead of a big pause and then 500 numbers at once or a red disconnection message. But instead I'm just really annoyed that something this similar to "turn it off and on again" tech support was actually a solution for an absolutely game-ruining problem I have been having since paying money for this product in the first place (edit: And not stickied on the bloody game launcher the moment it was identified as a possible solution).

WHY IS THIS GAME SO BAD THAT TICKING THAT BOX (FROM WITHIN AN ACCOUNT WITH ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS ANYWAY) ACTUALLY SEEMS TO HELP?
    edited December 2009
    I just downloaded the free demo and im glad i waited for it tbh.

Im having this problem also (from the UK) and it does make the game completely unplayable unfortunately, I really enjoyed CoH and was looking forward to this, but until this issue is resolved I wont be buying the game (no point really).

EDIT: After reading the thread i found out about the proxy options from the patcher which seems to have fixed my issues once i changed it to a US proxy
    edited December 2009
    We have seen that the server not responding issues and general connection issues seem to stem from the connection to our servers either being filtered or blocked (for most not all).These methods could also help users with launcher connection issues as well. Here are some steps to hopefully eliminate these issues, and if these steps do not work then please contact our technical support team.
    1. Make sure your divers are up to date. (Video and audio) This just helps eliminate the need for this step later on.
    2. Try connecting directly to the modem (if you’re using a Modem router gateway skip this step).
    3. Make sure ports 7000-7499 are open on your router and through your ISP. Instructions on how to do this can be found with your router or on the manufactures website. Do not forward the ports especially if someone else on the network is attempting to access Champions, as this can block them from connecting.
    4. Disable any and all Adware, spyware, Anti-Virus, firewalls, or any type of application that monitors your internet connectivity as this can either block or filter your connection to Champions online. If the application requires it make sure to create an exception for Champions.
    5. Make sure you are running the application as an administrator. In Windows 7 and Vista you can right click on the icon and select “Run as administrator”.

If none of these steps correct the issue then we can investigate it further.

I think, all the people who has server not responding / connection issue just tried all of this long time ago. If not, that person is just new at the game.. -.- As a lot of us noticed and just mentioned on a lot of posts, the issues starting just after the new patches (about 3 weeks ago). So, i dont think the problem is the connection of the user. I just was playing perfectly 4 weeks ago, but since last patches, i cant. Its simple. And i agree, disabling the anti-viruse system shoulnd not be a solution. CO should work just fine without doing that.
    edited December 2009
    Gribeau wrote:
    WHY IS THIS GAME SO BAD THAT TICKING THAT BOX (FROM WITHIN AN ACCOUNT WITH ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS ANYWAY) ACTUALLY SEEMS TO HELP?

Sometimes, the problem is not the game, just the so. Vista, for example, is just a stupid so and need that change on administrator rights to work right some of the times on a lot of games.
    edited December 2009
    Same issues here. I was running fine last night, and today it takes forever to connect to the login server and when it finally does, it wont connect to the account server; it sits there for awhile then says "connection to the account server timed out." :mad:
    edited December 2009
    omg have this issue jus started?...so lame i jus bought the game and was highly expecting this game to be good...but sadly ive been dealing with this issue all day....barely played for a minute and it jus logged me off...
    edited December 2009
    Is it possible that there is a piece of equipment (proxy, router, switch, whatever) in the cryptic building between their ISP and the servers that is gimping certain ip addresses for some reason? I've contacted my isp to attempt to resolve this problem and they are certain my connection is running fine. When I check the box for EU proxy the problem is reduced a little (I'm on the west coast USA). The US proxy option changes nothing for me. Most of the time this problem gets worse during peak periods. However I was on a 6am PST this morning in the Vipers Nest on Monster Island with 1 group member and the lag was so bad it was unplayable.
    edited January 2010
    I am having this issue. My brother and I play on a 30mbps connection, and all the recommended things have been checked. For both of us, it takes forever to connect to the login server and when it finally does, it wont connect to the account server; it sits there for awhile then says "connection to the account server timed out."

I even replaced my router, forwarded all the ports correctly, did all the recommended troubleshooting... and nothing, same result. It's odd that he can get connected sometimes while I get the same message.

Based on all the data, it's on Cryptic's end. Any ideas?
    edited January 2010
    Sabbatus wrote:
    I am having this issue. My brother and I play on a 30mbps connection, and all the recommended things have been checked. For both of us, it takes forever to connect to the login server and when it finally does, it wont connect to the account server; it sits there for awhile then says "connection to the account server timed out."

I even replaced my router, forwarded all the ports correctly, did all the recommended troubleshooting... and nothing, same result. It's odd that he can get connected sometimes while I get the same message.

Based on all the data, it's on Cryptic's end. Any ideas?

On a shared router you do not want to forward the ports. That limits the connection to just one PC on the network. You want to just open the ports so they are not blocked.
    edited January 2010
    I keep having the account server time out when i am trying to log in.. I played the demo game for an hour last night and had to log out because of a known bug with one of the quests that just stopped me in my tracks. I try to log in today and can't. I was verin intersted in buying this game and getting a subscription but if even the demo is so buggy I can't finish it, and the second day I can't even log in, then I think that is a big red flag that your devs and programmers either suck or do not care in the slightest. It's too bad since for the short amount of time i did spend playing I was really getting into it. No wonder WOW has a zillion players, because they rarely have such crippling failures as I am seeing here.
    edited January 2010
    My husband has noticed that when ever STO is down for maintenance or some other reason offline, that he has no trouble accessing Champions. Yet, when STO comes back up, he is back to not being able to get into Champions.
    edited January 2010
    Starlinis wrote:
    My husband has noticed that when ever STO is down for maintenance or some other reason offline, that he has no trouble accessing Champions. Yet, when STO comes back up, he is back to not being able to get into Champions.

that's interesting, I can only log in at certain times with champions online or i get server not responding with or without proxy :\ really can't see myself taking this subscription any further than this first month
    edited January 2010
    it's immensely frustrating to get boot out every 15 minutes, and suffer insufferable lag and rubberbanding when not. i know you guys are working hard, so please fix this quick !

anxiously awaiting.

... while paying every day for subscription (lol)
    edited January 2010
    I have this issue also. I have been playing since Beta, never had lag issues even in Lemuria. Nothing has changed on my system or with my provider. This Server Not Responding issue cropped up a week or two ago for me and at times makes the game completely unplayable. And how can I join a group in good conscience when i know i may spend the whole mission getting dc'd.

The game has become unplayable for me.
    edited January 2010
    Starlinis wrote:

Thanks for the info, you have just quantified something we have all suspected.
    edited January 2010
    same problem here, since nov17. everything before that was fine.
    edited January 2010
    Game is totally unplayable due to these issues. I have tried everything and then some to attempt to work around them.

Time to let me sub expire. So sick of this problem with Cryptic games.
    edited January 2010
    your all just wasting your time posting ever since Friday the tech team has vanished they don't even answer the phone.....i want my money back for the game i bought and the 6 months i payed with it its a great game but to many bugs and cryptic doesn't give a crap about anything obviously
    edited January 2010
    Last night was playing fin..and then earlier today I played for about 3 hours without a hitch...I have been trying to log in now for over an hour and I constantly get either "Account Server Connection Timed Out " or "Log in Server Connection Timed Our"

Why the heck isn't there more information on this and where have all the devs gone. Its like this issue does not exist or something.:mad::mad::mad:

I am SICK TO DEATH OF THIS!!!!!
    edited January 2010
    My wife connects no problem to the game on her PC and I can not connect at all right now on my PC. Same connection from the router...firewall disabled and no adware running or bot checks running...I don't get this at all.

Still the same old account and log in servers timing out.:mad::mad::mad:
    edited January 2010
    My wife connects no problem to the game on her PC and I can not connect at all right now on my PC. Same connection from the router...firewall disabled and no adware running or bot checks running...I don't get this at all.

Still the same old account and log in servers timing out.:mad::mad::mad:

if you forwarded the ports at the router instead of just opening them then only one pc can connect on the home network as the ports are forwards to an ip (which your wife may be using)

als some firewalls and anitviurs do not cleanly shutdown if you just disable and may still be blocking.
    edited January 2010
    that's been the issue since Sunday 1045 am crash..

all i had was an automated response on this received Sunday 231pm cryptic time ... accounts say big green letters active.. last time something like this happen they said an intern purged the Beta data base early and they had to re-install us closed beta testers effected in champions on-line..

they were trying to get ready for the champions head start a week early.. and forgot about the open beta event week.. If this thread and all the others were a Poll the numbers of people affected could help refresh the issue..

Something in the Accounts Client Handler went foul at Cryptics End.. and because it was Sunday the B Squad dint realize this.. they brought the server back up and received traffic and demand has exceeded capacity in the first few days so they thought this was normal and brushed over "I CANT GET IN THREADS"
    For STO open beta . So during STO open beta i wasn't even logging into play champions maybe 2 times when the STO server crashed and crashed or was full before the hardware expansion was brought in..
    so its clearly an data base issue from one USER/PW data base to actualy open things up..

Well this is not the case my firewalls not changed and NEITHER CRYPTIC CLIENTS working at your end Californian..type that into a issues list and meet this morning and fix it.. our end of beta events been ruined already and Champions on-line which we're paying you monies for its not working after a same day server crash for both of your entities.. This is serious business here..
    edited January 2010
    On the very first log in splash screen there is an options link box in the upper left hand corner next to the Cryptic logo. Click it and make sure that under PROXY you choose NONE. :D

That has worked for me for the last few log ins and have not no problems getting in.:D

I hope you try this and it works!!
    edited January 2010
    that works for me, after a week of constant server kicks, now seems to work fine.
    thanks brettlarson! :):)
    edited January 2010
    It is working better for me today and I haven't tried anything new. Fewer people on last day of STO beta?
    edited January 2010
    Ok, i just read tomorrow's patch notes and I am feeling the love! Sounds awesome!
    edited February 2010
    Hello. I'm from Israel, and I noticed that I can't connect to the game at all, no matter what, during the evening hours when I'm not at work.
    I disabled my virus protection, added exceptions for the game in the firewall, and I am connected directly to a modem. Also, tried connection with US and EU proxies, no luck.

I have no such problem in any other online game.

Since I can't find any additional information anywhere, and the service ticket system doesn't appear to be working for me (or I don't understand the system), I decided to post here. I would like to purchase the game, but not until I'm sure the servers are stable.
    edited March 2010
    I just reactivated my account. I go to the website and it says the server is up. I click the champions icon on my desktop, it goes to the password screedn and still says its up. I put in my password, then it says the server is down. It says account error, please contact billing support, but it says my account is active.

So um... now its suspended...
    edited March 2010
    Jhaendrael wrote:
    I .....all I get is "Server not Responding" while it loads...then it just boots me to the log in page.

hmm. at least yours kicks you to the login page when it disconnects in the loading screen. mine just sits there like an deaf dumb and blind kid. CAN I PLEASE GET SOMETHING THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO GO TO THE LOGIN SCREEN WHEN THE LOAD FAILS FOR ANY REASON?! i would appreciate it.
    edited April 2010
    Server not responding and lag issues... Funny thing the first day i started back up(about a week ago) there was no problem at all and every day the issues have gotten worse. Today its like a night mare.

I was sincerely hoping the issues that made the game unplayable when the game first started up had been addressed. Other people used to complain that that they could play every other game just fine. Am i the only one who has noticed that i can play WoW for 8+ hours and use 10 mb of bandwidth, but if i play CO for 1 hour I use 19 mb. I have no doubt that this part of the problem big time.

Its a good game, too bad i can't play it.

Ran the game in testingmode per the instructions on the reporting performance issues... I got a couple of errors including a sound/Win32/P_supernatural.fev error and File: Object_Library/Environment/Mystic_Viper_Props/Mystic_Viper_Altar_Podium_01.Modelnames
    Last Author/Status:Source Control not available
    Group Mystic_Viper_Altar_Podium_01 (-536105986) conflicts with Mystic_Viper_Altar_Podium_01 (-536105986) in the Object Library, ignoring.

I have no clue how to go about repairing said errors...
    I tried a force verify, that didn't fix the errors, which for the most part are just sounds...
    Still getting constant server not responding messages... I think my internet connection just can't handle the traffic of everyone on a single server... again 2 hours of trying to play and i used 110 mb... thats some huge packets going all the time.
    edited May 2010
    So to sum it up, are people still experience the crazy rubberbanding we had at launch?
    Because I was seriously disappointed with buying the game when it first came out, and not being able to play half the time.
    If I'm going to return, I'll have to pay, which means I want to know that it'll work without flaws, like other major games do.

So, uh... still alot of people having trouble?
    edited May 2010
    Gagoff wrote:
    So to sum it up, are people still experience the crazy rubberbanding we had at launch?
    Because I was seriously disappointed with buying the game when it first came out, and not being able to play half the time.
    If I'm going to return, I'll have to pay, which means I want to know that it'll work without flaws, like other major games do.

So, uh... still alot of people having trouble?

Yup. Terrible rubber banding, help staff treating us like illiterate children, dropping out of the game coz the 'server isnt responding'. All that good stuff.
    edited May 2010
    Tired everything here as well. I can't even get the game to log in with the proxy options set. Can't play at all....
    edited May 2010
    It has become nigh-unbearable. As of right now, I am unable to play longer than 5-10 minute increments - cut short by "Server Not Responding". On top of that, upon trying to log back in, I am immediately disconnected again with yet another "Server Not Responding" the moment the map loads.

It's rather difficult to enjoy the game when one has to fear being disconnected in the middle of things. I cannot risk instanced missions. I cannot risk Nemesis Missions. I cannot risk Nemesis Confrontation or Therakiel's Temple. If it wasn't for the Save icon, I would not be able to risk messing around in the Tailor/Character Creator. Could be disconnected at any moment and unable to log back in for an unknown amount of time.

All I ask is that this is figured out as quickly as possible and fixed. I'm not above begging for such.
    edited May 2010
    I have another thread going about this in the Gameplay Bugs forum, but to recap, we are actively working on tracking this down. The current theory is that is is due to bad packet sending. Dev has created a tool that will be going out to PTS and then LIVE after it has proven to be stable.

Hopefully, we will finally be able to make some progress on tracking this down.

PWC
    edited June 2010
    i encounter some packet loss from time to time :

my toon is moving just smoothly (as normal) and then, for a second, gets back to where it was like 5 seconds ago ... THIS can be kind of annoying ... while i'm on a very high speed internet connection
    edited June 2010
    Ok I have tried all of the steps but they do not work I understand that they are trying to fix the problem but what I want to know is when is this going to be all fixed? Thank you (to anyone whom has been working on this problem). I just really want to play the game! But everytime I log in and press play it loads up the main page and says "connecting to server" and thats all I get. :mad: .....

witchcraft.jpg
    You walk a mystical path, and are a creature of the spiritual and the supernatural. You are introspective and self-reliant, but nobody will ever question your bravery or commitment to justice.
    edited July 2010
    well, I've found a way to solve the "server not responding" issue, and I play smoooothy now:)
    even with no lag :)
    edited July 2010
    XxSBoY wrote:
    well, I've found a way to solve the "server not responding" issue, and I play smoooothy now:)
    even with no lag :)
    Which is how?
    edited July 2010
    FWIW, I've tried everything Cryptic Tech Support recommended and I cannot fix the lag that started right after last week (July 26) maintenance. The lag I'm experiencing, which is not rubberbanding, it's like a memory leak, wherein there is a delay between any time I touch an action key (AWSD, etc)

I ran Cryptic's Nettest and did a TraceRt, which showed some packet loss, but excellent connectivity.
    I've contacted my ISP to request they allow the IP addresses (though there was never any problem before).
    I've upgraded my bandwidth (though it worked fine before)
    I had all firewall and antivirus turned off (though it was never on and never an interference before)
    I ran an antivirus program to test whether a virus was mysteriously slowing my connection. (nothing found)
    I uninstalled and reinstalled my Internet router to ensure the Cryptic IP addresses were fine.

I want to keep playing CO, but I'm feeling like all roads indicate that it's best to cancel the account. This is such a bummer because I loved the 25 days I did get to play CO without any problems, on the road, traveling and at home.

CO Tech Support: Is there anything you can think of that has changed on YOUR END? Because I've done everything you suggested on my end.
    edited July 2010
    havocstarz wrote:
    Which is how?

I cant publish it online, I dont know if its against the Terms Of Use or not, but u can PM me, and I will tell you how :)