test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Powerset Review Discussions: Power Armor/Laser Swords

Comments

• dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    As far, as l can understand - Chest Beam is going to be phased out of PA rotation, right?

l think for [Overdrive] better keep its INT scaling, because the two things high energy pool is needed are:
    1. Energy input in form of spikes
    2. Energy output in form of spikes
    Example: one of my MA toons got no energy issues after taking END stat, because both FotT & Steadfast provide spike-like energy input. So having low bar hurts, because input from both spikes may reach rooftop & don't go above. Same true for tanking (Defiance). Likely PA builds based on Chest Beam - these spikes require high energy in time of charge, or they won't charge fully. But w/out chestbeam cost reduction from INT outweights high pool from END, and [Overdrive] energy input is sustained (not spike, like some other unlocks) as well, because of that better still keep INT scaling, or more preferable - leave OD as it is.

Additionally END energy income from OD is pretty marginal anyway by now, if character isn't affected by AoPM, and l don't think anyone has 300+ END, that would be a waste, except player spams Force Cascade, but PA doesn't have that spiked output as it's noticed above.

+ builds, those have both END & REC stats are mostly suboptimal lMO. DPS usually require DEX for crits, and either of those - STR for melee, EGO or INT for ranged; for Tanks CON is mandatory, and they need STR or EGO too. At last - for most healing maintains OD just doesn't work.
    Post edited by dakrushmor on
  • lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    Question: Orbital Cannon's plasma burn (with anvil advantage) stacks can't be used by the laser sword, I imagine this will remain, but I just want to be certain, are we going to be able to use those? If we get a form that boosts Plasma Burn damage, will that form work with these plasma burn stacks then?
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Single Blade Combo: 1=Reaper's Caress, 2=Reaper's Embrace
    This could also be the exact same combo for Ego Blades and Eviscerate. MA Claws is similar but with only one rotation + Alpha attack.

Massacre Combo: 1=Shred, 2=Massacre
    (If you're unlucky and don't get a bleed proc on the first hit.)

I could go on, but not a whole lot different than pushing a single button all the time. It's not about what you like, it's about giving variety so players can make what they like. Turning every set into a bunch of glorified reskins is boring.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Well if the goal is dee peeeee sssss then okay.

joke
  • meeoeoowiemeeoeoowie Posts: 78 Arc User
    On the topic of Laser Sword, unsurprisingly:

I do think that, alongside ensuring that the set is fleshed out and tinkered with, the other equally important factor to strive for here is identity, as some have mentioned. The identity is preserved through animations(+visuals), key-features and iconic powers. While it may seem dubious, if a set is to gain adjustments in rotation and strength that brings it more in line with other melee sets, a sense of identity may be lost, and the choice between let's say Single Blade and Laser Sword may become less meaningful.

That is to say, giving this DoT-rupture melee set some attention is great, but (again) remember that we have Single Blade. Laser Sword already walks a fine line beside the Single Blade framework, made different with the less agile and ninja-like movement (thankfully) and the high-cost/high-reward in making it work. It also has synergies with other damage types, which is great, but also made less relevant now, unless you specifically plan on making a ranged/melee hybrid (IE Melee passives encompass all melee damage now).

Since I hate flooding a forum page too much, I have spoilered up points and notes in subjects below, please do read it if you want
    to be able to agree/disagree or further understand my point.

Animations:
    The first thing that separated Laser Sword for me, having tried to create a noble wind-up knight robot (sorry, I did, it's true) something clicked once I realized just how mechanical and decided each swipe was; Laser Sword offered the option to fit that niche riiight between Heavy Weapons and Single Blade in terms of tempo in swings and sense of strength, where Heavy Weapons was too sluggish and heavy (and big), and Single Blade is far too acrobatic to be in the hands of someone who isn't some crazy robot-ninja.

Having read through the pages here, a lot of people want some Jedi-like antics, jumping into strikes and generally looking spectacular. If we're moving that route, could we please retain a rotation that maintains the current Laser Sword(combo) animation and Impale animation of Plasma Cutter? I know that the main reason for it currently, is that laser sword animations were strictly intended for Destroids and other robotic factions, who also used Power Armor, and needed that same mechanical flair. But players might desire that style of animation as well: where it fits, it fits splendidly!

And part of it might be wanting to see my robot knight remain slashing away in the style of a robot knight, but I don't think it's too ridiculous to say that the mechanical movement is desired to remain some form or another within the set.

Visuals:
    I am not too concerned for the visuals of Laser Sword, and have always felt that it primarily rests on the animations and options within the set. I can grab a Martial Arts sword set, and I can grab a laser sword weapon costume from the tailor menu and run around with laser swords that are all agile and ninja-y, but Martial Arts can never be actual LASERS, and that's a big strength that Laser Sword can capitalize on.

As some have suggested, with lasers not being strictly physical, a laser sword could potentially whip out into a laser chain, or I can even imagine an attack where you stab your laser sword into the ground and watch plasma erupt forwards akin to Earth Splitter (Heavy Weapons). These are radical visuals and effects that the powerframe can largely benefit from to stand out, as some Martial Artist isn't expected to do such. You can take advantage of Laser Sword being LASERS and give it a technological light, it's a win/win, as far as I'm concerned!

As far as anything else... There are still assets from the Cybernetic Ninja Become that we have yet to get our hands on, and I know that there has been some hesitation bleeding Become assets and abilities into the Freeform Framework, but I also know that Becomes are a novelty. They're a novelty that is lost to a majority (At least I think so?), as they disrupt a massively popular tailor aspect in the game, and your character can't be yours once it's a Destroid or Doomlord. Because of this, I feel like taking a look at what the Cyber Ninja has to offer is wise, and seeing what can't be repurposed, whether through entire powers or just visual assets. I think it would give the Laser Sword set a little boost in production; the Cyber Ninja Become has some seriously cool particle blasters, and some laser-zipline, for example (if I recall).

Gameplay:
    What may have concerned me the most, with the announcement of remastering Laser Swords, is that the set would potentially become a particle-damage variant of Single Blades, which it almost already is in some ways, but it has some interesting features that splits it apart. While the high damage and high cost could be considered a problem rather than a feature, I do think there is a desire among the playerbase to work hard to make powers work, and then get rewarded plentiful with some great damage, even on a combo power (which we are so used to being purposed for set-up). Tapping that combo hotkey is satisfying, your character hacks down enemies with each strike, and while it clashes with the idea of having a 3-4 power rotation, I do think there is something there, something to take from it.

What almost suffices as an example is how Bestial now has two viable combo powers with a difference in usage. I think Laser Sword could benefit from having a more drastic example. What if we had a high-tier combo? It could be a part of splitting Laser Sword into several options, including this one, which would be less of a "slash+slash+slash+spikeattack" and more focused on this consistently high damage. It would be a vague subset within laser swords where you had this expensive combo at a high tier, which was less setup but perhaps in stead was the power that needed setup. Maybe this heavy combo requires a debuff for the full potential, or requires commitment to a new Laser Sword EU to gain a cost reduction, similar to Force Cascade. I think having something else than a charge as the most dangerous melee power in your build is far from completely unreasonable. It could be refreshing, if anything!

As Kaiserin has stated, having multiple means of acquiring a rotation, whether it is through laser chains or sword swipes, is a great idea. However, I also see the potential in having a less orthodox rotation available on the side, for those who want something akin to something you can do with Laser Swords now, but appropriated into a tier it deserves.

Those were only the thoughts that came at me writing this late at night, and I always feel horrible writing some pretentious essay with too much personality bleeding in when times like these arrive, but I want to contribute, and I am passionate.

TL;DR/Suggestion: Remember what makes Laser Sword what it is, consider giving it a high-tier combo intended for actual damage, and a low-tier combo power intended for the Plasma Burn stacking, effectively splitting up the Laser Sword power we have right now.

Also, I know I just added a shortcut above, but please do consider reading everything? I probably repeated myself a lot, and I'm probably super try-hardy about this, but Laser Sword could be amazing if carefully thought out, and it requires tact to avoid blending too much with existing sets, if only mechanically.

Sorry about this, later!​​
    [A Place to Post Power Concepts] - I don't update this thing as often as I want to, but it is not abandoned!
    [Daily Login Rewards] - They sure would spice things up a bit!
    [Monthly Rewards and Silver Players] - Surely there should be some way to get them, no matter how difficult!
    [Discussion Concerning Event Powers] - Feel like you're missing out on Holy Water? Uh, probably shouldn't.
    [Discussion Concerning Energy Stats] - More or less what it says on the tin, there.
    [Analysis of Sorcery Copy-Powers] - I showcase some visual chopjobs, and such.
    [Analysis of a Poison Spread Bug] - The different interactions Virulent Propagation and Bite has with all poisons.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    I hope you are not going to go crazy with this idea. One of the great joys of the game has been the ability to create reasonable characters that dip in to 2, even 3 power sets. If you are going to make it so that you have to take 3 powers all from one set to do a meaningful attack you could ruin lots of theme builds. Might end up being impossible to build a Batman type character.
    kaizerin said:

Unlikey, this change is occurring to prevent the power from having everything it needs (very high damage, chance for dot, built in -res) in the one power.

We are trying to move away from one button wonders and lean more towards setup/building towards something/maintaining someting, and this has been reflected in the recent set reviews.​​

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    kaizerin said:

Annihilate does good damage on its own, but it gains a significant boost from clinging flames (Cleave/Eruption/Brimstone/Earth Splitter) and gets another boost from the No Quarter debuff (Arc of Ruin).

Prior to the HW pass there wasn't much reason to rotate as the No Quarter debuff was mediocre and Annihilate didn't have its damage boost advantage. Now to get the most out of Annihilate you need a Clinging Flames applicator, a crushing debuff applicator, and possibly a clinging flames refresher.

Laser Swords will see something similar, with players wanting powers that can apply a res debuff, plasma burn, and possibly something to refresh those effects to get the most out of the new T3 laser sword power. The set will likely see other interactions with plasma burn, but that is the idea from a straight damage perspective.​​

What do you say to Massacre's setup? Its dps seems to be a bit out-of-line atm:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline/#/discussion/1206782/non-ma-melee-after-two-sets-reviews

Considering both the set's DoT (Bleed) and the set's debuff are pretty trivial to refresh w/ Evis now, and w/ just three powers (Shred_Barbed Chain + Shredded adv, Evis + Messy, Massacre + Blood Mess) it pulls quite ahead. This is also considering that Bestial also has a high dps and high hps option w/ Thrash + bleeds + Shredded, and Evis to quickly refresh them, and that the set has good EU support, and that it can be Str-based.

Laser Sword, having a DoT and a debuff, also could fall into this trap of being overbalanced possibly w/ respect to its DoT and debuff (and maybe a situational 30% adv). I don't want to see a repeat where a set is over-performing because of those and/or how easy they are to refresh.

Oh, and w/ this wording, does this mean that Plasma Cutter's 'rupture' is going? or being repurposed? Part of the reason LS is also pared down atm is cause its 'rupture' option didn't seem to scale up as well and was harder to build up to- making it quite less compelling imo. (less compelling could also be said for limited cone melee attacks like Lightwave Slash, which also makes LS sets seem even more pared down)
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    (Continued the power discussion in the thread you linked)

Re: Laser Sword's rupture: I'm not sure what will be done with this yet, but I'd prefer the set to get a rupture unique to itself in the same way Bestial got a rupture that's different from Single Blade's straight up damage add.​​
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Ego Blades also have a really Unique Rapture mechanic

I wonder what could you come up for Laser Sword​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    So you are telling us that the Cauterize mechanic of Plasma Cutter will be like Deep Wound, a heavy Particle DoT which partly ignores target's resistance, dodge, shields and bubbles?
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    No, I'm saying it will likely do something different to set it apart from existing sets that rupture something.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Part of me thinks that particle accelerator should give a charge speed reduction to particle damage powers.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Re: Laser Sword's rupture: I'm not sure what will be done with this yet, but I'd prefer the set to get a rupture unique to itself in the same way Bestial got a rupture that's different from Single Blade's straight up damage add.​​

Sounds good. Something always seemed a bit off w/ how Cutter's Cauterize scaled, also given that that building/keeping 5x PB is tougher w/ its refresh being on a long cd ability + PB's shorter duration + heavy effective energy cost to build. I suspect much of this will change, though, and its easier to explore diff things when its not clogging up a large, older powerset.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    kaizerin said:

No, I'm saying it will likely do something different to set it apart from existing sets that rupture something.​​

How about no consume-the-stacks effect at all, but rather, some short-cooldown ability (~10s) that deals damage based on the number of stacks currently up without consuming them? Plasma burn already sets itself apart from bleed by being fairly short in duration and, in some cases, it can be tricky to get all the way to 5 stacks. It also (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) ticks for more damage due to the short interval between ticks. This right here could be considered an interesting gameplay mechanic right out of the box--trying to maintain a short-lived, stacking dot, being careful to use your heavy-hititng, stack-based ability when it's at max stacks rather than wasting its cd while it's at 2 or 3, etc.

Laser sword (as a one-weapon attack) with its "bleed" effect and existing consume-the-stacks mechanic already run the risk of being dangerously similar to single weapon MA. It's my hope that this set in fact does something completely different because otherwise, we might as well be sticking a laser sword skin on single weapon MA.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
    Kaizerin, will you rework the trigger condition of Aspect of the Machine or will you make another form for the set?
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Instead of a plasma burn stack rupturing for just extra damage to the target, what about a rupture that . . .

* gives the laser sword user an energy boost--Particle Asorption
    * explodes for AoE damage--Atomic Blast
    * applies a debuff like Burn Through

Maybe two of the above effect? Or combine with straight up more damage?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I think there are quite a few reasons most folks don't bother with most of the powers in the current LS set. They are mostly pretty ugly, and are awkward to use. No PB refresh, annoying interactions, and so on. If they were fluid and pretty, I guarantee we would be seeing waaay more jedi dance moves.

But, all that aside, I have some visual requests for your consideration. Please make PA powers scale with body mass. They look pretty bad on bulky toons.. like tiny mini-guns barely peeking out of shoulder pads. And big, bulky robots seem like an obvious fit for the PA set. Ditto for the Laser Sword itself. Can we have some other visual options for the blade? It currently looks like a glowing toothpick in the hands of a large hero. Third, can we stop plasma beam from shooting up or down based on the user's chest depth?

Be nice to have some PA toggle skin options too. Bio weapons, Mystech, Alien Crystal... just spitballin here.
    Post edited by vonqball on
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

As a side note: be careful to actually make it useful. The rupture effects on Bite and Eviscerate are not really worth using (people take those powers for the tap effects).
    Well I saw the new PTS patch notes, it looks good so far, however I wonder if a powerset passive will be made for it.
    Initial notes on the new and revised Laser Sword powers:

Overall: a somewhat larger laser sword would be great--like 10% bigger (length and width)

1. Laser Deflection: I see what you're going for, but maybe a faster animation on this one.

2. Laser Sword: I notice the slightly faster animation--I like it.
    Also, this power is no longer tagged as a Combo. Please keep it as a Combo

3. Lightwave Slash: I like the effect and the animation is nice, too

4. Particle Smash: Still kinda strange having the throw energy grenade animation. I wish I had a better suggestion.

5. Plasma Cutter: This power still has an overly clunky animation in my opinion. Make it even a bit faster/smoother.
    Also, the cauterize damage seems to come about 1 sec after the power's main damage. Strange to be delayed like that.

6. Luminescent Slash: not much to say for now

7. Meltdown: Good start--the FX is lovely, and the general animation is quite cool. The speed seems off, like maybe too fast to start--not sure exactly. The rapid rise, then the pause while at the top of the strike, is not quite synced or something.

8. Cybernetic Tether: Good start--the FX cuts out a fraction of a second too soon, before the animation is complete.

9. Particle Accelerator: LOVE the animation. Focus is a neat choice, since it allows mixing with MA to good effect.

Final Note: Would be great to have a particle-based passive.

Great start

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    In regards to the Laser Sword changes thus far

THANK YOU! its a great birthday present :tongue:

Now all that's really missing is a T0 power for the framework for character creation purposes and a Passive.

Also I'm going to have to second and third ad nauseum the requests for creating a Weapon Skin category for Energy Weapons in the tailor. Otherwise, I am really enjoying the changes.

Generally with the PA toggle changes, I haven't had a chance to play with them yet, but so far they look awesome especially the dual rockets.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    thebuckeye wrote: »
    Now all that's really missing is a T0 power for the framework for character creation purposes and a Passive.

Laser Sword is being moved to T0, if I read the PTS patch notes correctly.​​
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited November 2016
    So I took a look at the new laser sword set. Here's my thoughts so far:

Laser Sword: It was my impression that the purpose was for it to become a setup power, particularly with Burn Through as a damage debuff meant to work with other powers. Yet, Burn Through is an advantage rather than baseline effect. Is the intent here intended for those who want Laser Sword as a stand-alone power (to lesser effect of course) rather than as a set-up power? I'm a bit confused. Also as already mentioned, this should probably be tagged as a combo since it behaves like one.

Luminescent Slash: I really like this one this so far, even if it's just a placeholder. It should allow for some nice cross-power synergy with Force as well as Might. If that's the intent for this power, might I also suggest some advantages which allow it to play with Electricity and maybe Fire as well?

Lightwave Slash: My biggest concern with this one is that it may not be very sustainable given that it only applies Plasma Burn if targets aren't already affected by it. With a 6 second duration on the energy unlock's regains, but Plasma Burn lasting 16 seconds, there could be periods of up to 10 seconds without any energy OR form building . It could be decent, but the apply-one-stack-only-if-none-exist mechanic really isn't very good. In any power set. This will greatly limit the usefulness of this power as an AoE solution.

Plasma Cutter: I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Please don't go the rupture/consume-the-stacks/whatever route with this powerset. With such large thematic similarities between it and Single Blade MA, it'd be easier to just add a laser sword skin to martial arts melee weapons. Much moreso than copying the mechanics from one to the other like this.

Laser Deflection: I like the idea behind this, but the animation seems...off. It looks more like someone is holding a sword upside down, waving it back and forth than someone trying to create a blade barrier between them and a foe. Aside from that, it could probably benefit from some sort of blur effect, such as the one used by Eye of the Storm. On top of that, a block like this should also probably have some sort of damage effect and/or chance plasma burn apply, similar to Fire Shield, Electric Shield, Antagonize advantages, etc. I mean, you're swinging a deadly blade of energy around, right?

Unified Theory: I was hoping for something a little more cross-set friendly, such as how Thermal Reverberation works. Unless you plan on adding Plasma Burn to several other powers outside the Laser Sword set, you'll find this gets extremely limited use, especially by people who want to mix powers.

Particle Accelerator: Several things: 1) Everything I said about Unified Theory applies here as well. Currently this will be a very narrowly-used form due to its inflexibility. 2) I'm hoping these are placeholders in the tooltip, but currently it claims to emphasize Dexterity, making it even more like Single Blade MA. I'm hoping this is just a mistake, and that it might focus more on something like Int, as Int would help fill in a niche for Int-based melee that's currently wide open. 3) Another part of the tooltip says it favors ranged, but I'm guessing that's just a tooltip error that will be fixed in time.

Meltdown: Looks fantastic. I especially like the pause before the attack lands. I assume the lack of a cooldown is temporary of course.

Lightspeed Blade: This applies to all "melee" energy builders, actually. Is there any way for you guys to allow them to deal ranged damage + generate energy on par with their melee generation when used at range? The "taunt" not only looks bad, but the energy gain is hugely inferior. Many people (myself included) generally take ranged energy builders even on melee-focused characters because the range limitation makes melee EBs inferior.

- - -

Also, general animation issue: Laser Deflection, Laser Sword, Lightspeed Blade, and Meltdown have an issue where the color of the first one used is the one that sticks for the others. Like, if my color setup is this:

Laser Deflection: Purple
    Lightspeed Blade: Blue
    Laser Sword: Yellow
    Meltdown: Red

...and the first ability I use is Lightspeed Blade, all of the others will show a blue energy sword until something forces the weapon to change. Note that the other laser sword wielding powers--Luminescent Slash and Plasma Cutter--do not have this problem.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • spookyspectrespookyspectre Posts: 632 Arc User
    Maybe create a new offensive passive with a 10' PAoE of particle damage and a small amount of defense or regen. Similar to Fire Form but for a melee based toon.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Power Armor could use a second Energy Unlock now that will work with non-maintain based PA builds, since that's going to be a thing now. Something that gives energy whenever you fully charge a ranged attack would be interesting, and would make for an interesting cross-set type of EU. If cross-set isn't in the cards, make it pop whenever a PA attack is fully charged. Having it give energy over time would be neat too.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    aesica said:

...all the way to victory is pretty terrible gameplay, my concern from a design perspective is that theme-based builds will be suffering from this. Where does, say, an ice warrior, a technology mage, an infernal martial artist, or a force-wielding laser sword user fit into all this?

The same way that multi-framework setups operate right now. For example a force-wielding laser sword user would take a group of powers from laser sword so that they can effectively dps using those powers, and would then throw in whatever force powers they are taking for utility.

Also, make sure not to equate "multi-framework" with "theme" since there is no correlation there. Single-framework and specialized builds are just as theme as multi-framework builds. At least, that's the case from a design perspective.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    TYPO :
    Particle smsh was originally a ridiculously overpowered(I got 40k damage, non crit with NO gear on) single target melee attack on pts. Due to the damage which players pointed out was too high, it was chn aged to a Ranged AOE.

It's still listed under Melee single target, so it gets affected by things which affect melee instead of ranged. NO 35ft is not melee​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited November 2016
    I like what I'm seeing from the PTS thread so far
    Only concerns:
    1. Plasma Burn duration needs to be increased to be on the same line with Bleed
    2. Lightwave Slash AoE Distance needs to be increased
    3. Laser Sword powerframe need its own Passive, please back bring Quantum Stability and Modify it
    4. Laser Sword need a Particle-exlusive DEBUFF, the Crushing debuff from Burn Through is worthless on a pure particle damage build
    5. Particle Accelerator (Toggle) needs to could scale with STR to become be counterpart for the EGO power Armour
    6. Unified Theory (Energy Unlock) Should scale with either INT or END (please give END more love)

also Rest in Peperoni Unified Theory and Particle Accelerator
    YOU WILL NOT BE MISSED onion-2.gif​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    edited November 2016
    chaelk said:

TYPO :

Particle smsh was originally a ridiculously overpowered(I got 40k damage, non crit with NO gear on) single target melee attack on pts. Due to the damage which players pointed out was too high, it was chn aged to a Ranged AOE.

It's still listed under Melee single target, so it gets affected by things which affect melee instead of ranged. NO 35ft is not melee​​

This is the case for chain powers under Might & Beastial, they are ranged powers for melee players, so they benefit from Strength instead of Ego, nothing too weird there, imo. I like it as it is, but perhaps it could use an advantage for the power to benefit from Ego instead of Strenght (like the one in Shuriken Storm, which changes the ranged PBAoE to benefit from Strength instead).

Aswell, I'm pretty sure it's been a balanced (strong [for a click power] but high cooldown) power with melee tag for a while, my memory isn't reliable, but I believe I remember it had been like this for a while and had recently (months ago) had a description change to specifically mention it being considered melee.

Since only Laser Sword builds pick (or picked in the past year/few years) Particle Smash, it made sense to benefit from Strenght from a gameplay point, if we are to go in how it's power animation shouldn't fit strength, then the laser swords shouldn't benefit from Strength, our most popular example, Jedi, don't quite look Hulk-esque.

But, well, that's just my opinion.
    Post edited by lunnylunny on
    edited November 2016
    Thoughts:

- Laser Deflection looks a bit strange.. but I think it'll grow on me soon enough!

- LOVE the final attack on the Laser Sword(combo), it feels really good. I'll need to get used to the speed of the combo (since it used to be slow), but I think it works better now.

- Plasma Cutter seems to stab a bit too early, since the damage happens shortly after. The Cauterized stack damage is even further delayed, it used to be so before, so I understand this issue is still here.

- Particle Smash possibly needs a little bit shorter Cooldown, though honestly since it has nice damage for a click, it could stay as such or have a minor cooldown reduction.

- Luminescent Slash I don't understand yet it's purpose, but it actually looks pretty interesting, considering the animation changes as you use it repeatedly.

- I'm curious as to which advantages you plan for Cybernetic Tether, cause if it has a Plasma Burn refresh, players might not pick Particle Smash.

- Meltdown looks pretty cool.

Suggestions:
    - Allow Particle Smash to spread Particle Burn stacks from the main target to all others, since it has a medium~long cooldown, I don't think that would be game-breaking.

- I believe Burn Through could have a higher Particle damage resistance debuff portion. Possibly, to counter-balance, lower the Crushing damage resistance debuff.

- Power Armor could use a reliable wide-range AoE (i.e 45° cone), the PA has a slotted passive that works best when fighting many enemies (flat damage reduction) but all it's AoEs are focused on one enemy or have medium cooldowns (Energy Wave), while many won't care because they only want to do Cosmics or Events, there's also many others who want to play as a tank and have to either let the spread enemies 'kill' your friends or keep changing targets (alternatively, move around so that the melee enemies stack up around the ranged ones, but it only helps, doesn't always solve the issue).
    * As it stands, I am always picking Crushing Wave (force) for theme and for that empty, reliable (for tanking), AoE slot. This is just my opinion, perhaps nobodyelse feels the need for this.

- Considering the previous suggestion, a missile chest slot that works just like Submachine Burst (munitions), ranged AoE, 50 feet 45° cone, dealing less damage per opponent (max damage on 1~2 enemies, min damage on 5 enemies).

- Laser Sword costume options!

- Laser Sword combo is not an option for new characters before costume creation, while it doesn't NEED to be, it's now in a tree of it's own so it would be nice to be so.
    Post edited by lunnylunny on
    gradii said:

The crushing damage debuff from burn through is great! you're not realizing some people will want to COMBINE laser sword and Might or whatever.

It is underperforming, though. Arc of Ruin is on 15% fire and Crushing damage resistance debuff, though it's a *somewhat* valid argument that it's an advantage (No Quarter) only for Arc of Ruin, therefore needs to be higher.
    So, there is a crushing debuff in the set which implies cross-set usefulness. The energy unlock only works with Plasma Burn and applies focus, which doesn't play well with others. If only restrictions on cool builds were getting power that go with each other instead of janky energy management.

If Laser Sword + Particle Smash did competitive, high, single target dps without needing a stupid rush move, that'd be super. I'm just tired of 3 power rotations. I would also accept Laser Sword + Plasma Cutter with Particle Smash being a 10 - 15ft range 10ft radius AoE with no cooldown competitive with Sword Cyclone. Or if one of those new powers is a laser sword that does 10ft AoE damage around the target every .5 seconds in a flurry of hits (yes, still comparable to Sword Cyclone).

Is Meltdown going to be as cool as Vorpal Blade? Cool as in good damage and looks fancy.

Are Silver players are going to basically have rainbow laser swords when they take multiple powers? If only rainbow acrobatics was a thing.​​
    edited November 2016
    lunnylunny wrote: »
    It is underperforming, though. Arc of Ruin is on 15% fire and Crushing damage resistance debuff, though it's a *somewhat* valid argument that it's an advantage (No Quarter) only for Arc of Ruin, therefore needs to be higher.

THIS^
    of course the particle debuff should be more than 10% that goes without saying for laser sword to make best use of it

And it doesn't even make sense why the laser sword powerframe should have crushing debuff when it's particle exlusive powerframe
    sterga wrote: »
    Is Meltdown going to be as cool as Vorpal Blade? Cool as in good damage and looks fancy.

apparently has a unique animation, complety different than Vorpal Blade​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    With Particle Accelerator and Burn Through, this set can synergize well with MA, which seems to be the intent.

I do, however, agree that it would be nice if Particle Accelerator scaled with Int as well as Dex, as @aesica suggested. Int for melee is something that would be cool.

As for Str . . . plenty of Str stuff for melee already. You could certainly throw in a MA or Might attack with a knockdown and use Enrage if you want Str. Some folks do that now with Laser Sword.

• revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User

I hope you are not going to go crazy with this idea. One of the great joys of the game has been the ability to create reasonable characters that dip in to 2, even 3 power sets. If you are going to make it so that you have to take 3 powers all from one set to do a meaningful attack you could ruin lots of theme builds. Might end up being impossible to build a Batman type character.

Not to mention a fuctional Sonic projector...
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
    As for Str . . . plenty of Str stuff for melee already. You could certainly throw in a MA or Might attack with a knockdown and use Enrage if you want Str. Some folks do that now with Laser Sword.

there are 4 Melee Forms that Scale with DEX (5 if you count the chilled form but it's ranged)
    while there are only 2 Melee Forms which scale with STR

No, not plenty at all, and it makes Sense for a laser sword powerarmour to be strong​​
    avianos wrote: »
    apparently has a unique animation, complety different than Vorpal Blade

The comparison wasn't to look the same but to not suck and look cool. I.E. a power I would actually consider taking.
    gradii wrote: »
    Except STR is a neccesary QoL stat for melee characters. if you go melee without STR you're going to be knocked willy nilly all over the place. not to mention the fact STR primary allows for higher defenses and the best melee tanks are almost always STR primary because of this.

Nothing really compares to str pss for all the fabulous things you get. Laser Swords could go Int, but would need to dump support for dex. Str / int / con would work. Not having decent knock resist on a melee toon is poop.​​
    gradii said:

Except STR is a neccesary QoL stat for melee characters. if you go melee without STR you're going to be knocked willy nilly all over the place. not to mention the fact STR primary allows for higher defenses and the best melee tanks are almost always STR primary because of this.

sterga said:

Nothing really compares to str pss for all the fabulous things you get. Laser Swords could go Int, but would need to dump support for dex. Str / int / con would work. Not having decent knock resist on a melee toon is poop.​​

I completely agree with both of you about how Str is ideal for melee, mainly because it's the primary defense against horribly-overused and gameplay-interrupting knockbacks as well as how well it synergizes with guardian/warden + vindicator. This should probably be addressed somehow (ideally by lifting other stat specializations up to match Str rather than nerfing Str) however it's beyond the scope of this thread.

The devs have complete control over how the numbers for this set work out once the mechanics are in place, and so far, they've done...alright at balancing sets for the most part. This is why I think it's okay for a set like this to benefit more from Int than Str or Dex, as there are already many sets which favor those stats. You already have to take dex if you want MA to work. What's wrong with taking Int instead of Dex (or in addition to Dex) to make sure a set like this works? If this set underperforms with a focus on Int, they can always adjust damage until it becomes more competitive.

Thematically, laser swords aren't really something that make a lot of sense with Str, and this is reflected in the way that certain animations were changed to "feel lighter." Dex I can believe, however as I've already stated, we already have all of MA. On its current course, Energy Weapons already looks too much like Single Weapon MA in terms of rupture/bleed-consume cheese as well as being, well, a single weapon you wield. Making Dex the most important stat would bring us dangerously close to carbon copy territory, throwing any possibility of variety out the window.

I really, really, REALLY want to see this set turn out as a melee set that feels completely different than what we already have. Not more of the same.
    edited November 2016
    Make this new Form stacks END or INT - that would be amazing, especially as there's no any form (but IDF) scales of END, also new EU procs on END, doesn't it?

This way STR - CON - END for LS tank would be totally acceptable setup.

Make this new Form stacks END or INT - that would be amazing, especially as there's no any form (but IDF) scales of END, also new EU procs on END, doesn't it?

This way STR - CON - END for LS tank would be totally acceptable setup.

This would actually be ideal. There's already plenty of forms that scale with multiple stats (concentration, chilled form, etc) so there's no reason this one can't as well.
    aesica said:

This would actually be ideal. There's already plenty of forms that scale with multiple stats (concentration, chilled form, etc) so there's no reason this one can't as well.

Also since Laser Swords seem to be more END, than INT focused (according to EU scaling, although l'm not allowed to PTS, so can't see it myself, but l guess it's END+rec). Maybe actual Power Armor will be more INT focused since then, to differ those sets.

Also since Laser Swords seem to be more END, than INT focused (according to EU scaling, although l'm not allowed to PTS, so can't see it myself, but l guess it's END+rec). Maybe actual Power Armor will be more INT focused since then, to differ those sets.

Currently they're something of a mess, as I don't think the devs have set the right stats in just yet.

- The form scales off dexterity (wtf?) which I seriously hope is just a placeholder, left over from copy-pasting one of the MA forms.
    - The EU scales off End, with Rec to a lesser degree. Lots of EUs use End, so this is...okay. Somewhat.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Well, it makes sense if they're imitating Jedi as Jedi combat very heavily emphasizes skill over brute force.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Why in the world would I give up damage (dex + fott) for End when it will likely be easier for me to support a laser sword build's energy after the changes?

Anyone who wants laser swords to be competitive with bestial/ma/might should remember none of their forms scale with a garbage stat. The novelty of scaling with "something different" is going to go away quickly.​​
This discussion has been closed.