What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Powerset Review Discussions: Power Armor/Laser Swords

Comments

• Options
    lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I have *just* made a post a few days ago in the Suggestion box.. and as much I don't like "self promotion"...

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/1206891/radioactive-laser-sword-powers-suggestions-reworks-and-ats

(to be honest though, the others seem to have much more interesting ideas than mines!)
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Re: Eyebeams

If anything I wouldn't mind a non-toggle lockout copy of eyebeams to exist in another framework (maybe Might?). Similar to what was done with Living Fire & Sigils of the Storm when magic got re-worked. A lot of folks still want eyebeams.. that aren't tied so deeply into PA.

Other Stuff:

Power Armor overall is a really fantastic set - it's just hard to figure out how to use in it's current form. Which I guess is WAI because of the amount of DPS it's capable of. But if that DPS capability is going to be significantly decreased, then ease-of-use and energy costs need to be looked at as well.

Laser Swords -- I still think the entire Particle Accelerator & Unified Theory factors need to be re-worked from the ground up. It was a valiant attempt back in 2013 but much like the telepathy fixes from that year they are awkward and hard to use.

I actually have a great deal of faith that PA won't be massacred based on how well the Arcane Magic fixes were pulled off. Fingers crossed that same sort of care and planning will go into updating PA.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    gradii said:

that's not enough, eye beams isn't a real shoulder slot because the animation is from the head.

Animation wise, simultaneous use of eye beams, mini gun, and shoulder launcher would be fine; they're all in different positions.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I hope we get even more power armour powers, especially those exlusive for NPCs
    I would like to see Black Talon's / Annihilator Bot Bullet spray attack and the charge fire blast UNITY Defenders use

As for Laser Swords, every change and expansion is welcomed, currently the set is lackluster
    It needs Passive, Thematic Energy Unlock, special form (but PLEASE do NOT make the Form required to build plasma burn like you did with BLEEDS forms, LASER sword should NOT be just a copy of of that)

However, I would prefer to keep 2 different styles of Laser Swords

One with the classic Plasma Burn Rapture (Laser Sword + Plasma Cutter)

and the other with the horrible Laser Trio (Particle Smash, Unified Theory, Particle Accelerator) which can be revamped to stop being impractical, RNG, gimmicky piece of crap powers which NOBODY use and that they should have NEVER be made
    ...I feel they could be Combo attacks

Also please buff Lightwave Slash (and Scything Blade) this power feels so useless​​
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Posts: 2,537 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    avianos said:

One with the classic Plasma Burn Rapture (Laser Sword + Plasma Cutter)

I'd actually rather see the rupture cheese get out of the laser sword set entirely. We don't need a laser-themed copy of single blade/bestial supernatural. My hope is that Plasma Burn goes in a completely different direction than Bleeds, but we'll see.
    avianos said:

Also please buff Lightwave Slash (and Scything Blade) this power feels so useless​​

Fairly sure Lightwave Slash on their list, and my hope is that they based it on either Arc of Ruin (360 degree mobile-friendly charge PBAoE that requires no target) or Sword Cyclone (PBAoE maintain)...

...or maybe even the cyclone chain powers. Laser sword is a laser after all. Why can't we extend it momentarily and whip it around like a badass?
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    as
    aesica said:

...or maybe even the cyclone chain powers. Laser sword is a laser after all. Why can't we extend it momentarily and whip it around like a badass?

l sense mah Technology::Energy Sword::Energy Cyclone , and it would be great power to get, but Kaiserin said no new non-toggle PA powers right now, so eh...
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    kaizerin said:

Energy unlocks/forms/etc that lack adequate restrictions have the tendency of being the only ones players pick. This is something we are moving away from.​​

Please consider going in the other direction.

I'd much rather have a smaller selection of generic selection of Forms and Energy Unlocks that work with mechanics than one or two of each for every powerset that work well with that specific powerset. A Form that grants stacks every time you apply a DoT (Plasma Burn, Poison, Bleed, whatever) is IMO much better than one that only works with Poison OR Bleed.

Even if the generic versions are slightly less effective than the specific ones.
  • Options
    lillysaturnlillysaturn Posts: 109 Arc User
    avianos said:

kaizerin wrote: »

Energy unlocks/forms/etc that lack adequate restrictions have the tendency of being the only ones players pick. This is something we are moving away from.

OH COME ON, you can't do that

this would kill builds with a lot of different powers that have no EU in Common

Take my Sonic DPS for example, he is using Overdrive for Hypervoice along with Sonic Boom Generator and Power Chord (or my Pulse Beam Rifle character) if you are going to restrict Overdrive then congratulations, you ruined Crescendo

If you want to less usage of Overdrive outside technology, MAKE MORE ENERGY UNLOCKS

LOOK AT MSA, you made more themed EU and reduced the need of it, I haven't used MSA ona new character for a long time now​​

I can only concur with that. Better make more Energy Unlocks then doing that
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    ref: Laser Sword

If this gets redesigned then could it be given some distinctive properties more redolent of Laser Swords in culture ? Ideally that would mean a Jedi style Laser Sword block/deflect (unlikely for animation reasons, I know) but the set should also make a right mess, in terms of damage and debuffs, of anyone stupid enough to use physical defences against it. Energy/Magic blocks and forms might be effective against it but attempts to rely on armour, physical blocks or passives.... you'd probably end up with a few fewer extremeties. Might make a new spin for PvP players to work with, too.
  • Options
    dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User

ref: Laser Sword

If this gets redesigned then could it be given some distinctive properties more redolent of Laser Swords in culture ? Ideally that would mean a Jedi style Laser Sword block/deflect (unlikely for animation reasons, I know) but the set should also make a right mess, in terms of damage and debuffs, of anyone stupid enough to use physical defences against it. Energy/Magic blocks and forms might be effective against it but attempts to rely on armour, physical blocks or passives.... you'd probably end up with a few fewer extremeties. Might make a new spin for PvP players to work with, too.

There's Guard in HW framework - l think animation might be reworked for LS-specific block, if it comes of course.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,092 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2016
    Re: Plasma Burn. This effect won't be getting much of a redo as it's shared across other powers. Laserswords may do something different with the dots (nothing crazy), but the dot mechanic is staying.

Some thoughts: It's likely that all Lasersword abilities will be moved to their own tree to declutter PA. This will come with the side effect of anyone owning those powers getting a forced respec/having those powers removed. Similar to the Sorcery merge. This is not something we can get around when we move around powers.

Unified Theory and Particle Accelerator are likely to just be removed from the game as that buff/stack mechanic they use will be going away. The powers are also currently using animations that don't flow with the rest of the set. We could potentially remake them into new powers but due to how we internally name powers for their effects it's better to just create new.

The ability Laser Sword will likely see a name change due to their being other laser sword powers. It will also likely become a setup ability and have its damage dropped to put it in line with other T1 powers. The particle debuff will be changed to put it in line with other resistance debuffs, or the Burn Through debuff will be rethought so there aren't numerous particle debuffs floating around.

As for new Lasersword abilities, there will be a ultimate, a new form/energy unlock that triggers off of Plasma Burn Stacks, and a new T3 ability that's damage focused.

Stretch goals include some energy based short ranged 'chain' abilities and a passive.​​
  • Options
    ...and then slice your own hand off when you try and catch it. This move comes to you sponsored by the prosthetic limb division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation... :)
  • Options
    I would commend the idea of a Future Weapons set, Kaiserin, with Laser Sword as a sub-set- I think a lot of people have been trying to make those types of sci-fi/future warrior character and there's not really any suitable in-game powers; Gadgeteer and PA don't quite hit the spot and Munitions is very much of the now. It's such a rich area of Comic culture, I'm sure it would be well received (and I have a Judge Dredd build I got bored of at lvl 30, just waiting for inspiration...)
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    gradii said:

Suggestion for a laser sword ultimate: You throw your laser sword like a boomerang, dealing damage to everyone around you in a 25 foot sphere and applying plasma burn.

You mean like the dual saber style spin from Jedi Academy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09ZT7A0A9UY
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I can smell a Laser Sword AT from Miles away~

Shame It didn't came out during the new Star War HYPE like Unleashed came out with the Star Wars MMO
    Re: Plasma Burn. This effect won't be getting much of a redo as it's shared across other powers. Laserswords may do something different with the dots (nothing crazy), but the dot mechanic is staying.

Some thoughts: It's likely that all Lasersword abilities will be moved to their own tree to declutter PA. This will come with the side effect of anyone owning those powers getting a forced respec/having those powers removed. Similar to the Sorcery merge. This is not something we can get around when we move around powers.

Unified Theory and Particle Accelerator are likely to just be removed from the game as that buff/stack mechanic they use will be going away. The powers are also currently using animations that don't flow with the rest of the set. We could potentially remake them into new powers but due to how we internally name powers for their effects it's better to just create new.

The ability Laser Sword will likely see a name change due to their being other laser sword powers. It will also likely become a setup ability and have its damage dropped to put it in line with other T1 powers. The particle debuff will be changed to put it in line with other resistance debuffs, or the Burn Through debuff will be rethought so there aren't numerous particle debuffs floating around.

As for new Lasersword abilities, there will be a ultimate, a new form/energy unlock that triggers off of Plasma Burn Stacks, and a new T3 ability that's damage focused.

Stretch goals include some energy based short ranged 'chain' abilities and a passive.
    0e3.png

The mini set is going to be it's own powerframe, that;s awesome

Rest in Pepperonis Impractical Gimmick

Relevant, does the DEV who created those powers know this?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    brokenrivalrybrokenrivalry Posts: 32 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

​​

please dont do that unless you intend on lowering the energy cost to put it in line with other T1 powers.
    you're essentially removing a defining characteristic of laser sword, high damage, high energy cost. the 'laser sword' combo power already did setup for you to rupture it. yknow, plasma cutter?
    if anything, increase the speed of the laser sword combo and make the animations look less clunky. having a half second pause between attacks looks BREDDY GOOD. /sarcasm
    a lot of the suggestions have been constructive and worked towards making the set do nicely, this just seems like a step backwards and i want to cry.
    please dont do that. thanks

In-Game Handle: @Narfball ...Who wants to talk to me lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    kaizerin said:

If I may, would you guys consider also having a copy the current Laser Sword ability as a minimal-setup/set interaction power a few tiers up? What I mean is that you'd have the intended combo/setup ability you're proposing, but also, a combo ability a few tiers up with the same damage/cost as current Laser Sword, but it wouldn't interact much with everything else in the set.

This way, those who utilize it in its current form for theme builds can still do so without having to fully commit to a bunch of other powers in the set. Bonus points if this "stand-alone" Laser Sword has advantages tied to clinging flames, chilled, negative ions, or other cross-framework mechanics.
    (Hopefully) Useful CO Resources: HeroCreator (character planner), Cosmic Timers/Alert Checklist, Blood Moon Map, Anniversary Cat Map, and more (eventually, anyway).
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Unlikey, this change is occurring to prevent the power from having everything it needs (very high damage, chance for dot, built in -res) in the one power.

We are trying to move away from one button wonders and lean more towards setup/building towards something/maintaining someting, and this has been reflected in the recent set reviews.​​
  • Options
    Cleaned up some posts. Keep the discussion focused please. If it goes off like that again the thread will be closed.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I'm really looking forward to a new laser sword framework. I actually prefer characters that cycle through 3 powers in combat, throwing in a 4th based on opportunity or CD. Spamming one power, with occasionally a second, gets super boring in boss fights.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Energy unlocks/forms/etc that lack adequate restrictions have the tendency of being the only ones players pick. This is something we are moving away from.​​

I dislike this idea as it just pigeon holes more builds into just one powerset, so I disagree so heavily that I cannot really express it. I know that is what you want, but that no one else wants that.
  • Options
    kaizerin said:

Unlikey, this change is occurring to prevent the power from having everything it needs (very high damage, chance for dot, built in -res) in the one power.

We are trying to move away from one button wonders and lean more towards setup/building towards something/maintaining someting, and this has been reflected in the recent set reviews.​​

That's fair, I'd just like to humbly ask that you guys consider some cross-framework advantages for it based on this setup-build-maintain model that will allow it play well to some extent in other frameworks. Themewise, energy-based weaponry would fit nicely with fire, electricity, force, other technology powers, and perhaps even ice. Theme build players will thank you immensely. :)
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    riltmos said:

kaizerin said:

I dislike this idea as it just pigeon holes more builds into just one powerset, so I disagree so heavily that I cannot really express it. I know that is what you want, but that no one else wants that.
    That has not been the case thus far with this design philosophy. Currently affected builds are not pigeonholed. In fact, by making sure that all unlocks/forms/etc have adequate restrictions it means that players aren't pigeon holed into using the same ones for every build, as they have been in the past. Greater variety, more valid choices, good thing. You won't have to pick something different "just to use something different for once" or "for theme"... you can do it for valid build reasons. It makes combining different sets a more creative process.

I'm looking forward to actually wanting to make a laser sword toon m'self, so far results have been good with gussying up boring sets.
  • Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

riltmos said:

kaizerin said:

That has not been the case thus far with this design philosophy. Currently affected builds are not pigeonholed. In fact, by making sure that all unlocks/forms/etc have adequate restrictions it means that players aren't pigeon holed into using the same ones for every build, as they have been in the past. Greater variety, more valid choices, good thing. You won't have to pick something different "just to use something different for once" or "for theme"... you can do it for valid build reasons. It makes combining different sets a more creative process.

I'm looking forward to actually wanting to make a laser sword toon m'self, so far results have been good with gussying up boring sets.
    What should we pick for an energy unlock if I want to go Munitions and Wind then? This doesn't help variety, it just hinders it even more. Sure we have to pick the same energy unlock, but let's be serious here, that doesn't matter at all with build theme. It's an invisible buff that just lets you continue your attacks rather than just running out of energy every five seconds.
  • Options
    lunnylunnylunnylunny Posts: 186 Arc User
    Perhaps we can have a tier 3 combo version with high damage high energy cost then, without utliity? Just an idea, I know that making powers that just rupture or benefit from stacks is the usual and most common, so perhaps something a little different (tier 3 combo) that would encourage people to go for the Combo specs for once, rather than always following the same 'Wardicator' path as every other melee character.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    "Stretch goals include some energy based short ranged 'chain' abilities and a passive."

I found this Skyrim mod that had Dwarven beam weapons. One of those weapons was basically a laser whip. It wasn't as fun as I would have thought.

"It will also likely become a setup ability and have its damage dropped to put it in line with other T1 powers." - "We are trying to move away from one button wonders and lean more towards setup/building towards something/maintaining someting, and this has been reflected in the recent set reviews."

You realize that you are essentially genericizing all of the powers in every set by going this route, right? Lack of identity will make most possible builds be the same as the next, but with different color effects.

I would rather see a t3 laser sword combo that just does oodles of single target damage without needing all kinds of set up. Playing the same build every time gets old.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    On the sound, I just now realized that Laser Sword could probably just use a variant of the SFX for Telekinetic Blades.

In the vein of options and avoiding one size fitting all, it might be prudent to review the available Specialization options.

And since I'm assuming this will come with a new AT, with jedi already used I'm guessing something sentai would fit.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    zamuelpwe said:

On the sound, I just now realized that Laser Sword could probably just use a variant of the SFX for Telekinetic Blades.

The current laser sword sound effect is fine--no, better than fine. The current laser sword sound is amazing and really stands out amidst a sea of otherwise-generic sound effects. If I could ask them to not change just one thing about it, it'd be the sound effect.
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    aesica said:

zamuelpwe said:

The current laser sword sound effect is fine--no, better than fine. The current laser sword sound is amazing and really stands out amidst a sea of otherwise-generic sound effects. If I could ask them to not change just one thing about it, it'd be the sound effect.
    Agreed I like the sound effect.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    ooohh... I now want a laser sword version of Bullet Beatdown!
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    Not sure I agree that 'spam 1 attack' gives the set much of an identity ;p It also creates a situation where nobody takes the other attacks because there's no need to, which makes spending time creating new attacks a questionable decision.

This is seen with the current Lasersword setup. The Unified Theory/Particle Accelerator mechanic does give Lasersword a significant boost...but nobody uses it as it's two additional powers, it's janky to use and the current Lasersword power does greater/on par damage as most other popular T3 melee abilities all on its own. The incentive to invest in those powers just isn't there.

Recent changes are leaning builds more towards 3 powers to work into a rotation, and we've slowly been introducing multiple powers that have similar functionality (like say Slash/Reapers Caress/Barbed Chain/etc) so players have some choice. A similar pass will be done with Laserswords.​​
  • Options
    Annihilate does good damage on its own, but it gains a significant boost from clinging flames (Cleave/Eruption/Brimstone/Earth Splitter) and gets another boost from the No Quarter debuff (Arc of Ruin).

Prior to the HW pass there wasn't much reason to rotate as the No Quarter debuff was mediocre and Annihilate didn't have its damage boost advantage. Now to get the most out of Annihilate you need a Clinging Flames applicator, a crushing debuff applicator, and possibly a clinging flames refresher.

Laser Swords will see something similar, with players wanting powers that can apply a res debuff, plasma burn, and possibly something to refresh those effects to get the most out of the new T3 laser sword power. The set will likely see other interactions with plasma burn, but that is the idea from a straight damage perspective.​​
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Some thoughts: It's likely that all Lasersword abilities will be moved to their own tree to declutter PA. This will come with the side effect of anyone owning those powers getting a forced respec/having those powers removed. Similar to the Sorcery merge. This is not something we can get around when we move around powers.​​

I have one complaint about this, and that being pretty much all melee energy builders frankly suck, the Laser Sword version included, though not as bad as say, Heavy Weapons. My current character of this type uses one of the other PA energy builders for this reason. And given the notable energy costs of Laser Sword powers, she actually uses her energy builder. (It also allows her to have some DPS when enemies wander inexplicably out of melee range)
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Not sure I agree that 'spam 1 attack' gives the set much of an identity ;p It also creates a situation where nobody takes the other attacks because there's no need to, which makes spending time creating new attacks a questionable decision.

You do realize there are powers with cooldowns that do damage / utility and 14 slots to fill. I have it on good authority that Particle Smash looks cool when threaded in with a laser sword combo.
    [...] the current Lasersword power does greater/on par damage as most other popular T3 melee abilities all on its own. The incentive to invest in those powers just isn't there.

Laser Sword is also expensive. With the advantage, it is obscenely expensive. Low tier powers are pretty cheap. That means the actual threading in with a debuff move lowers the cost of the overall combo, which doesn't happen with just swinging laser sword around. Especially with the advantage. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to power Laser Sword w/Particle Acceleration by endlessly swinging without large sacrifices in damage or defense. Maybe if you sit in the energy circle all day, it's possible, but at the price of having to recast every time you move. Outside of that, people use Rush moves, which is no longer laser sword by itself, requires an MA form, and investing in dex over str or con.

Also, something else you seem to neglect considering: Bestial and Might have huge advantages in their forms scale with strength. The huge advantage being the incredible synergy with str pss + juggernaut + wardicator. Whatever laser sword's form scales with, it will be unlikely that it's going to be str or con. Which means investing into a third stat that doesn't give all of the amazing benefits of a str + con focused builds. Not even dex is on par with str.

Even if it became possible to do the base damage of a Massacre "combo" with just Laser Sword, it would still require sacrificing knock resistance, defense, health, and damage scaling.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    Every set using the same rotation but with a slightly different color would be very boring. Variety is important to a game such as this. Especially in a game where players are encourage to make new characters, since the leveling content hasn't changed. The only variety we currently have is with our powers, and their rotations, and our costumes.
  • Options
    How similar is Medusa's melee attack to the existing laser sword powers?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited November 2016

"Medusa's melee attack"
    MEDUSA MELEE ATTACKS!?
    You mean Melee Telekinesis/Ego Blades

0% Similarities, they don't even use the same animations
    Laser Swords have Unique animations combos​​
    Post edited by avianos on
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Annihilate does good damage on its own, but it gains a significant boost from clinging flames (Cleave/Eruption/Brimstone/Earth Splitter) and gets another boost from the No Quarter debuff (Arc of Ruin).

Prior to the HW pass there wasn't much reason to rotate as the No Quarter debuff was mediocre and Annihilate didn't have its damage boost advantage. Now to get the most out of Annihilate you need a Clinging Flames applicator, a crushing debuff applicator, and possibly a clinging flames refresher.

Laser Swords will see something similar, with players wanting powers that can apply a res debuff, plasma burn, and possibly something to refresh those effects to get the most out of the new T3 laser sword power. The set will likely see other interactions with plasma burn, but that is the idea from a straight damage perspective.​​

I fully support this philosophy!!!! One thing that's been an issue is "press one button and WIN" powerset selections. It's why every freeform build has Ego Surge with Nimble Mind. Champions has needed change for a long darned time! It's more than overdue for this sort of balancing.

Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    Yeah I have to agree on that aspect, I'm NOT a fan of using a single power, I like having Variety on a Build (ESPECIALLY if said build is themed)

HOWEVER I do hate when a Powerframe FORCE ME to pick the entire powerframe in order to have full potential (HURR DURR Telepathy DoTs)

Its ok if Laser Sword wants me 3 powers for full potential, but 4-6 are TOO MUCH MAN​​
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    avianos said:

"Medusa's melee attack"

MEDUSA MELEE ATTACKS!?

You mean Melee Telekinesis/Egi Blades

0% Similarities, they don't even use the same animations

Laser Swords have Unique animations combos​​
    So for a multi-power laser sword attack adding that thwap-thwap-thwap style sword attack with a different weapon would be different than the current powers?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    kaizerin said:

Not sure I agree that 'spam 1 attack' gives the set much of an identity ;p It also creates a situation where nobody takes the other attacks because there's no need to, which makes spending time creating new attacks a questionable decision.​​

While I completely agree that...

...all the way to victory is pretty terrible gameplay, my concern from a design perspective is that theme-based builds will be suffering from this. Where does, say, an ice warrior, a technology mage, an infernal martial artist, or a force-wielding laser sword user fit into all this?

So, as you move forward into this synergy-based design model (which again, I agree with) I implore you to do so in a less-specialized, more generic way. What I mean is, rather than being stuck taking the same 3 specific abilities from a given framework just like everyone else, people can pick and match to make a more unique, personalized hero. It's no fun if every single character using a given framework rotates the exact same abilities.
  • Options
    LaserSword doesn't have the "one button win" function, though. It lacks clear spec requirements, only works with one Form, the energy requirements to use it are pretty stiff, and it doesn't synergise particularly well with EUs, passives or the usual specialisation routes. It's a pretty obscure power sub-set in a crowded area of the game; why pick it over Single/Double blades, Fighting Claws or Bestial Supernatural if it's made much of a muchness with all of those?

The Particle Accelerator/Unified Theory method is too complicated, but the buffs to Particle Smash and Plasma Cutter are worth retaining. So something like...

LaserSword - single target damage per hit, remove combo bonuses, reduce energy cost. Increase base damage by 15% per stack of Focused Strike buff.
    Lightwave Slash - Aoe Damage, buff damage from current.
    Focused Strike - Tap/Charge single target attack. Each full charge applies a stack (up to 3) of a buff which increases Particle Damage and reduces Energy Cost. Each stack lasts 20 seconds.
    Particle Smash - AoE Damage, damage is increased by 66% from base for each stack of the buff added by Focused Strike. All stacks are consumed on use. 30 second cooldown.
    Plasma Cutter - Single Target Charged power. Damage is increased by 66% from base for each stack of Focused Strike buff. All stacks are consumed on use.

Those buffs are higher than normal, btw, because Laser Sword doesn't really interact well with a Form other than Form of the Tempest and the damage buff/number of stacks from that Form is likely to be lower than that given to other melee builds.

I'd still like to see something unique about it, though, to differentiate it from the other competing styles. Physical damage debuff rather than huge DoT effects appeals to me.

Re: Chest Beam

Is this going to be removed from the game entirely? Shame if so, especially if this is only because it can't be made to play nice with the PA toggles. It's such a great power, even as a solo charged attack, and works really well with lots of power sets (as DEMON's Maleficia and Inner Circle Members keep proving). Could you move it into another tree, like Force? It works pretty well with that set - mid level energy and damage, and the knock/debuff would be useful.

As for the Chest Laser proposed replacement - could that be a slow, cone AoE pulse weapon (say 1 sec intervals) which did a Repel w/chance of Knock Back?

• Options
    edited November 2016
    aesica wrote: »
    So, as you move forward into this synergy-based design model (which again, I agree with) I implore you to do so in a less-specialized, more generic way. What I mean is, rather than being stuck taking the same 3 specific abilities from a given framework just like everyone else, people can pick and match to make a more unique, personalized hero. It's no fun if every single character using a given framework rotates the exact same abilities.

Kaizerin wrote:
    Recent changes are leaning builds more towards 3 powers to work into a rotation, and we've slowly been introducing multiple powers that have similar functionality (like say Slash/Reapers Caress/Barbed Chain/etc) so players have some choice. A similar pass will be done with Laserswords.
    ​​
  • Options
    ^ Somehow, I missed what you meant by that initially, so I feel a bit relieved. I guess at this point, all I can do is wait and hope for the best until a testable version comes out.
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I'd like to make an additional request here: Be careful with debuff refresh effects and avoid creating any dead attack powers.

What I mean by 'dead' is powers that you use once per fight and then never again.

For example, until recently you had to have Condemn to apply Debilitating Poison. But Condemn is not a good power - even as an AoE damage power it's unimpressive; using it in a single target rotation for the debuff would probably be worse than just ignoring Debilitating Poison entirely. So you use it once, and then use something else that has a poison refresh - but this leaves Condemn as a dead power. (A better design, in my opinion, would have been buffing Condemn to the point where it's actually a decent AoE power, worth using on its own merit, and moving the two point advantage for applying Debilitating Poison to Infernal Blast.)

Another example is Shred in a bestial melee build. The obvious way to build that, these days, is use shred to apply bleeds & shredded, then spam massacre, with just an Eviscerate tap now and then to keep your debuffs rolling. Which leaves Shred as a dead power, especially if you also take bite (as bite can apply bleeds).
    Though this situation is a bit better than the situation with Condemn; Shred isn't terrible DPS on its own, it takes more hits to build up bleeds, and its AoE functionality means you'll likely be using it a fair amount on non-boss targets, unlike Condemn, where using it on non-boss targets is generally not worth the trouble.
This discussion has been closed.