What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Powerset Review Discussions: Power Armor/Laser Swords

Comments

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Re Overdrive: This unlock will likely lose its Int or End scaling to conform with the scaling from 'X stat or Recovery' formula. This energy unlock is NOT bugged, it intentionally has lower scaling on the int/end portion.

Is it going to be fixed, so that it processes ALL maintains ?​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    dakrushmor wrote: »
    Kill INT scaling (which was never working) Keep REC and fix END​ scaling​
    My DPS is working on INT OD scaling. Generally all of the other EU, are strong enough to power with just one SS. But when just keeping Rec scaling OD won't provide enough energy, especially with prolonged maintains. So hafta take both REC & END, unlike for other EU. And DPS usually need Dex too & either Int or Ego.

END is very useful now and is taken almost by each tank, while INT was seriously gimped when CD nerf occured. Or kill both END & INT scaling from OD, leaving Rec only, but this way let its effectiveness increase twice, to makeup my toons (about 100 rec & 500 int), and do OD provide same amount of energy.

Of short, if My main will get less than 15 e per tick after revamp... Kill INT and there will be no more CO for me!

My characters with Overdrive (and I have a lot with maintains)have NO Int/end/rec SS(unless an AT) and work fine.
    Any they have is from talents or mods in Utility gear.
    Mind you, i also manage with usually only about 140-150 energy.
    I usually have 3 stacks of OD going for most of a fight and yes that's with less than 15/tick.

I have cost discount stacked in utility gear.​​
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    dakrushmordakrushmor Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    chaelk said:

I have cost discount stacked in utility gear.​​

Don't have it. CD reduction for a reason (and reason is - 2 necru elixers). And yes - to checks be passable w/out AoAC.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    gradii said:

Honestly I'd be ok with it as long as the form and the energy unlock are made to scale on the same stat whatever it is, so that I'm not forced into 2 locked stats just for a functional laser sword build.

Suggestion: Make the form AND energy unlock for laser sword scale on the higher of INT/DEX OR INT/END

This is an excellent idea. I do understand the push for Str scaling, but that's not going to mesh with the theme.

If, as suggested here, the EU and form both can use the same stat, a burly laser sword user could also take Str as a stat.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    "The intended lasersword theme" has never been "jedi". Laser sword miniset was part of poweramor, and strength stat is very much in theme for powerarmor (invulnerability even scaled of STR in the past). And the animations were modeled far more for a stiff robot than an agile jedi.
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    What if the LS form or toggle had a knock-resist component that scaled off of whatever stat it likes for damage scaling? It would make the set a bit different and would open up alternative stat options for melee toons.
  • Options
    darqaura2darqaura2 Posts: 932 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    aiqa said:

"The intended lasersword theme" has never been "jedi". Laser sword miniset was part of poweramor, and strength stat is very much in theme for powerarmor (invulnerability even scaled of STR in the past). And the animations were modeled far more for a stiff robot than an agile jedi.

Except aren't they now moving laser sword out of power armor?

If that's the case the them can now be "whatever laser sword inspiration you want".
  • Options
    magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, but who cares about the intended theme? It's not a popular idea. Other than CO's Destroids, I'm struggling to think of a laser-sword wielding robot in any game, movie, comic.... see one of those laser swords things, you think Jedi. That said: Copyright infringement is obviously a thing here and they probably don't want an Outbreak of the Clones (and its expensive sequel, Attack of the Lawyers) so best to keep some distance away....
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Friendly Reminder that Star Wars is owned by Disney now, who is really Lawsuit Happy

Also if in the end of the day you want to make a DEX based LS DPS? then stick with Form of the Tempest
    sterga wrote: »
    avianos wrote: »
    apparently has a unique animation, complety different than Vorpal Blade

The comparison wasn't to look the same but to not suck and look cool. I.E. a power I would actually consider taking.

Well currently the damage values are placeholder

But I hope you like Metal Gear Revengeance​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    Yeah, but who cares about the intended theme? It's not a popular idea. Other than CO's Destroids, I'm struggling to think of a laser-sword wielding robot in any game, movie, comic.... see one of those laser swords things, you think Jedi. That said: Copyright infringement is obviously a thing here and they probably don't want an Outbreak of the Clones (and its expensive sequel, Attack of the Lawyers) so best to keep some distance away....

The primary example would be Mobile Suit Gundam's beamsabers. Just look at the parts we got with the Variable Robot costume set to see the devs are Gundam fans. As for games, the Armored Core series is a good source of energy blade wielding robots. Heck, one could argue Voltron's "Blazing Sword" is an energy blade wrapped around a physical one when powered up.​​
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • Options
    malakhellknightmalakhellknight Posts: 16 Arc User
    One thing I have been suggesting since the days of Atari, to change the slots from anatomical to either 1,2,3 or A,B,C (for reference: A/1= Hand, B/2= Chest and C/3= Shoulder) and allow use to be able to CHOOSE Head, Chest, Hand, Fist. This doesnt change HOW they function they will function the same just now I can do Chest beam (though maybe names might need changing) as a breath attack or Shoulder Launcher as a Chest launcher (think Sektor for the MK Series as that is the best example). I'd like to see a choice on Rocket punch if it is a fist or missile as well.

Another thing I'd like to see is the wrist mounted Gatling guns (the one the Destoid Master Villians use) as a energy builder and attack and more energy (particle) attacks as well more ballistic Attacks for the slots. I.E. have a mini gun that can shoot energy instead of bullets and takes the same slot as the mini gun to prevent them being used at the same time. Though I have posted this suggestion before, I'd like to start seeing costume specific choices like if I have Mechassiassin's Hand that is a choice for my munition powers and if I have Black talon or Warlord Back that is a choice for Shoulder launcher, tactical Missile, and rocket punch.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    As long as the laser sword form doesn't scale with a garbage stat (end or rec). Well, probably shouldn't scale with con either.

Random Sword Idea:

Overcharged Blade: r3 aoe (3max) melee combo chaining

- The sword hits an enemy and discharges lightning/energy that chains to the two closest enemies.
    - Chains do the same damage as the main hit.
    - 25% chance to apply negative ions each hit.
    - If a target is affect by negative ions, do the mini arc thing that all other negative ion attacks do.

If you want to get fancy, negative ions can be consumed by Particle Smash for bonus damage.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    Given the animation for the new form, I suspect the new theme is super sentai, not jedi.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User

The primary example would be Mobile Suit Gundam's beamsabers. Just look at the parts we got with the Variable Robot costume set to see the devs are Gundam fans. As for games, the Armored Core series is a good source of energy blade wielding robots. Heck, one could argue Voltron's "Blazing Sword" is an energy blade wrapped around a physical one when powered up.​​

There's also Transformers, Thundar, Robotech, Heavy Gear, and a few others.

Anyway, are there plans to replace fire all weapons with anything it filled a unique role? I hope it will get dmg to put it on par with the other two ultimates in the PA tree.

When you are talking about moving Plasma Beam to T0, will it keep still need to be aimed to hit its targets? That doesn't sound very efficient for a t0 power.

• Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    It would be interesting if LS had an advantage that increased it's energy cost by a % of your current total, and gave it a damage buff based on how much energy that is. So, you could still have your old-style energy hog, high damage combo, but it would be optional.

Mb.. haven't reviewed the set. Posted this in the wrong spot. :/
  • Options
    qawsadaqawsada Posts: 739 Arc User
    What is going to happen to powers like Power Gauntlet or Rocket Punch? Are they going to lose their hand slot status? I like to go pew pew or punch punch while setting off my shoulder and chest power and it would be sad if that wasn't the case anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    qawsada said:

What is going to happen to powers like Power Gauntlet or Rocket Punch? Are they going to lose their hand slot status? I like to go pew pew or punch punch while setting off my shoulder and chest power and it would be sad if that wasn't the case anymore.

Hand Cannon l believe will be toggle version of Charge Up, it's noted that power going to be similar to Shoulder Launcher. About punch... no idea, but maybe makes sense to replicate that as well (if there're plans for all non-PA PA-like powers).
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    darqaura2 said:

aiqa said:

Except aren't they now moving laser sword out of power armor?

If that's the case the them can now be "whatever laser sword inspiration you want".
    ^
    So much for the power armor angle.
    Given this fact, I think that dex and int make sense as scaling options, since now we're just talking about someone holding a lazer sword, and being super strong wouldn't really make you any better at using such a weapon.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    qawsada said:

Well, they won't be useable alongside maintains at all anymore so effectively yes their slot status will be gone. If they need to be rebalanced to work as standalone powers, then they will be.
  • Options
    But wait a Minute

Will we get Toggle Variations of Rocket Punch and Energy Wave?​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,090 Cryptic Developer
    Hand Cannon, Dual Barrage and Chest Laser will be the only new PA powers.​​
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    "New Power: Dual Wrist Rocket Barrage"

...yaaaaaay~
    Since no one is mentioning about eye beam, I'll do it.

The laser from the eye beam doesn't do any damage on the first tick or when the beam touches the NPC but only after the activation time of 0.5 sec. I don't know if it's a bug or not but its kind of a downside to it.

I think eye beam should be change to how plasma beam is instead of making it a sub-aoe like how it is now. Also it could use a VFX upgrade like how plasma beam/concussor beam when it's rank up.
  • Options
    sephelius said:

I think eye beam should be change to how plasma beam is instead of making it a sub-aoe like how it is now. Also it could use a VFX upgrade like how plasma beam/concussor beam when it's rank up.

Also after Eye Beam burns through initial target - that initial target doesn't receive extra damage (those ticks for about 2x damage than beam itself), only auxiliary targets receive it.
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I think the additional damage only being received by secondary targets is intended (though weird), but eye beams seems like a natural candidate for Burn Through.

Separate issue: currently, the hand beam options (plasma beam, concussor beam) have a different range from the chest and shoulder beam options; by comparison, missile options are the same range in all slots. It would be nice to have them synchronized.
  • Options
    criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    Kaiserin I have another question, when you mentioned some "chain" powers do you mean that the set will have some sort of "Energy Whips"? Like the Iron Chain/Barbed/Lash and/or Cyclones? I ask because since Cybernetic Tether will be implemented.
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Kaiserin I have another question, when you mentioned some "chain" powers do you mean that the set will have some sort of "Energy Whips"? Like the Iron Chain/Barbed/Lash and/or Cyclones? I ask because since Cybernetic Tether will be implemented.

It would be extremely neat to have energy vortex, like l proposed in mah omni-power thread. Would be awesome for LS tanking. Also make sure then that it'll work with Targeting Computer (it's ranged after all), for case if l'll use it on mah main until something more appropriate comes out.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Hand Cannon, Dual Barrage and Chest Laser will be the only new PA powers.

Oh well what to do, shame Rocket Punch lost it's place

Also for future Gadgeteer powers (maybe even laser sword) I suggest using the the Tech Circle the Virus Mobs in Cybermind Alert use

People complain that there are only Mystic circles glyphs ingame but we actually do

But the Virus's circle could be used for a nice AoE support for future technology, just throwing ideas

So since Chest Beam won't be able to synergize with the Toggle PA power, we need a 3rd power to get teh Burn Trought Debuff
    My hopes is on Chest Laser, but Eye beams could use some love too

I do want to go FULL LASER TOGGLE but losing my Debuff will hurt the DPS​​
    Post edited by avianos on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Hand Cannon, Dual Barrage and Chest Laser will be the only new PA powers.

Actually wait a minute, there are still NPC only PA moves in game
    Like Black Talon's Bullet Spray (whatever the name is, even the Become device has it) or Annihilator Bot's Twin Mini Guns. which is really unique (and use the Robot cowboy animations which also I wish we got as Dual Pistol power)

Isn't there any plans for those powers to become available for players? because those powers look very sweet for PA builds :neutral:

I believe this is the perfect chance to publish those powers​​
  • Options
    Cybernetic Tether is the 'chain' power lasersword will be getting.

We have no plans at this time to make any more PA powers.​​
  • Options

We have no plans at this time to make any more PA powers.
    d8c.gif​​
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Oh well, thanks for answering the question. I would have really appreciated if a new passive which increased the Melee Technology damage and had some similar benefits like Id Mastery, like power cost discount or an stackable diminute damage resistance buff.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    criswolf09 wrote: »
    Oh well, thanks for answering the question, but I have another which doesn't need any visual effects, a passive. Not long ago Kaiserin mentioned that then plans included a passive, have the dev team changed their mind?

Propably they are still working on the passive aspects

Quantum Stability (Laser Sword passive) was really Overpowered Broken when it was first made, it needs rebalance​​
  • Options
    It would be awesome if Eye Beams got a once-over. Improved visuals on ranking up, maybe Burn Through debuff.

• Options
    edited November 2016
    avianos said:

Quantum Stability (Laser Sword passive) was really Overpowered Broken when it was first made, it needs rebalance​​

l guess its "blackhole" maybe converted to just rooted in place intangible "pet" with constant PBAoE Crushing damage (that's why Burn Through debuff is here) - think Ball Lightning.
    kaizerin said:

Will there be new stuff in Energy Weapons Framework? Or you're totally set with what you provided? l & my Main - We are not.
    Post edited by dakrushmor on
  • Options
    Quantum Instability may return, but with completely different values and effects ;p​​
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited November 2016

[...]
    Separate issue: currently, the hand beam options (plasma beam, concussor beam) have a different range from the chest and shoulder beam options; by comparison, missile options are the same range in all slots. It would be nice to have them synchronized.

Or we could get higher damage/lower range for lasers and lower damage/higher range for missiles.

As an aside, the extreme standardization of melee frameworks is boring. Laser sword as a single target high energy, high damage combo should stay (remove particle bun if its too much). Why should we lose an unique power that's not warping the game? Add a lighter animation, faster, AoE combo with plasma burn as a second option.

The other changes to the miniset are welcome. Too bad we are losing dmg on Particle Smash. There is a lack of click powers that deal good damage and have a moderately long recharge...

• Options
    edited November 2016
    kaizerin said:

Quantum Instability may return, but with completely different values and effects ;p​​

Fantastic, that raises my hopes for the future.
  • Options

[...]

Or we could get higher damage/lower range for lasers and lower damage/higher range for missiles.
    By synchronized, I mean that they're designed around the same range, not that they're all 100'. It used to be beam PA would be mostly 50' because you'd use chest beam in the rotation, which is 50'.
  • Options
    gradii said:

[...]

By synchronized, I mean that they're designed around the same range, not that they're all 100'. It used to be beam PA would be mostly 50' because you'd use chest beam in the rotation, which is 50'.
    Nothing forces you to stand at 100 feet when some of your powers are only 50 foot range but others are 100 feet.
    Yes, but the range of a power is incorporated into its damage formula, so it is generally inefficient to use 100' range powers at 50'.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    As an aside, the extreme standardization of melee frameworks is boring.

I'm going to be disappointed if laser swords on live ends up being nothing but reskins of every other set despite the numerous ideas that have been thrown about. I like chain vortex, but we already have 3 of them. We also already have a laser sword tier 0 power that applies a dot and debuff. It's in the MA single blades set.

I get the feeling that there won't be any reason to go Laser Sword over Single Blades after the update. At least I can skin and color the MA blades.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    jovianjjovianj Posts: 27 Arc User
    kaizerin said:

Thank you for letting us know. I still hold out hope that someday the Black Talon powers, particularly the 'gunarm' ones will become player character available. They have already shown to be energy builder, attack powers and crowd control (with that cone attack) to say nothing of the cool looking missile barrage that is worth having just for the animation.

I am encouraged by the arrival of the voodoo powers and I had hoped they would enter player character realm for years, my character Voodoo doll now has actual voodoo doll theme powers and I created her in 2010 (I went gold in 2009).

I like the duel barrage. Has hand cannon gained an animation yet? When I tried that power it looked like empty space.
This discussion has been closed.