Vanilla Forum Migration Status Update 6/22/15

Comments

• khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    going to have to be brutally honest; these forums are harsh on the eyes. Their format is going to induce eye strain badly, and the fact that it's difficult to tell when where the background ends and the forums begin only makes it worse, especially when trying to differentiate one poster from another.

Yeah it is all a bit 5 shades of grey... I'm also not a fan of the fact that everything is now compressed down to being child boards, meaning it's just small text for each of the boards on the 'main' page for each game. It's really hard on the eyes and really irritating to navigate. This migration was a terrible idea. We should have at least used proper sub forums for each of the games.

Edit: The only thing I actually like about the new forums is the notification function. Saves me searching for my username to find new posts in threads I'm following. Though even that's getting annoying because it doesn't just notify you about the first unread post in the thread, you get notifications for every new post made in the thread... Why? I only need one notification, then I can go and read all new posts since I was last in there.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 3,694 Arc User
    Like I said elsewhere, these forums are like some kid's independent forum code that he made because he was too hipster to get a forum coded by professionals. They really are terrible.
  • flyingfinn
    flyingfinn Posts: 6,694 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well, they managed to cut down peoples desire to visit to the Forums.
    Well, atleast it did for me.
    Atleast the 'Hide' feature works, so i can cut out the bad parts...oh wait...
    But hey, a positive thing is, we're all in the same happy pile o' streamlined crap. So no need to go visit far-away to the other forums. You just scroll down.
    And lets wait for the "smaller games" to get their game forums up, so we can all compare who got the prettiest dress.

oh, the <center> thing stopped working....sweet. It made to much of a mess anyways.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    oh, the <center> thing stopped working....sweet. It made to much of a mess anyways.

If you mean in your signature, it's because they fixed the BBCode Center not working.
  • magenubbie
    magenubbie Posts: 4,762 Arc User
    Edit: The only thing I actually like about the new forums is the notification function. Saves me searching for my username to find new posts in threads I'm following. Though even that's getting annoying because it doesn't just notify you about the first unread post in the thread, you get notifications for every new post made in the thread... Why? I only need one notification, then I can go and read all new posts since I was last in there.
    True, but reading just 1 will remove both notifications. And for those used to using Facebook: the notifications can be clicked on to take you to the post you wish to read.
    "What if your home, your family... What if your dope was on fire?"
    "Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear."

Help! I'm level 60! A guide to the life of an adventurer

"Don't mess with the bull, young man. Or you'll get the horns. - Richard Vernon
    "Common sense is not that common" - Voltaire
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yeah on the topic of PMs, there is definitely something strange going on. It looks like any PM I've received with the same title that have been sent to others are now in my PM list.

For example, I once received an infraction for being a little vocal about something and I've now got a PM 'thread' with 963 posts in it going out to lots of different people who have received infractions. It includes all private correspondence between these people and the Mods who issued the original infraction.

And another, after the 'meet up' sessions Brandon held a few years back he sent out PMs with convention codes to claim the convention veteran title and Holo Leeta. I'm guessing those PMs all had the same title as that's now gone from a single message to me, into a thread with 34 messages. I can see all of Brandon's messages along with all replies sent to him.

OK, that's definitely a major issue right there. You need to report that to @pwlaughingtrendy IMO, because if it really was THAT unspecific about merging by thread title, that is a big privacy breach. You may have been OK with saying in public that you had an infraction once, but I'd be willing to bet not everybody would be OK with that.

I'm gonna comb through my PM box now for sure to make sure there is not unwanted stuff in there.

EDIT: My PM box checks out, but then I also tend to avoid "generic" titles with stuff, so I guess my messages didn't cross-reference with anybody else's. Until we are sure this issue is resolved, I would say the weirder your PM title is, the less likely you are to have an issue with your post ending up in someone else's box. But that needs to be fixed NOW.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • championshewolf
    championshewolf Posts: 3,162 Arc User
    I am kindly disappointed that the Champions forums are not up. Grant it I play Neverwinter as well, but we get red headed stepchild syndrome enough as is.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Compiled List of Bugs, Issues, and QOL Concerns for Champions Online
    TerraSig_zpsbssrlxmv.jpg
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • frtoaster
    frtoaster Posts: 2,566 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You really need to make the child categories bigger. Just take a look at the STO forums. It looks horrible right now.

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/categories/star-trek-online

And what happened to the Tribble and Redshirt forums?

According to my profile, I apparently have 1958 comments. I'm pretty sure I had over 2000 posts in the old STO forums. Is this because you guys didn't migrate over the Tribble and Redshirt forums?

EDIT: Never mind. I found the Tribble and Redshirt forums. I didn't see the tiny child categories. My post count is still weird though. I wonder if any posts were lost.
  • katamaster81899
    katamaster81899 Posts: 869 Arc User
    If they provide us with access to some open APIs, I'm sure that a group of us could work together to create a more usable forums interface.
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    XB1 Thaumaturge PVE CW Build || NW_Legit_Community Moderator || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T

Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • draogn
    draogn Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    These forums look horrible, much worse then the old forums. They are very disorganized and look even more outdated then the forums we were using.

I know animated gifs and imbedded videos may seem like a cool feature, but they are not and will quickly become annoying in addition to the security nightmare they represent.
  • khamseenair
    magenubbie wrote: »
    True, but reading just 1 will remove both notifications. And for those used to using Facebook: the notifications can be clicked on to take you to the post you wish to read.

Yeah, that's great if it's one or two. But on a normal day with the old forums I'd come back to usually about 8-10 threads having been replied to since my last read of them, and usually with multiple posts in each. Some in excess of 10 new messages.

So when you add that up, it means returning from a few hours of not being on the forums to anything up to about 80-100 notifications. Try finding the first new reply in that list.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
  • khamseenair
    gulberat wrote: »
    OK, that's definitely a major issue right there. You need to report that to @pwlaughingtrendy IMO, because if it really was THAT unspecific about merging by thread title, that is a big privacy breach. You may have been OK with saying in public that you had an infraction once, but I'd be willing to bet not everybody would be OK with that.

I'm gonna comb through my PM box now for sure to make sure there is not unwanted stuff in there.

EDIT: My PM box checks out, but then I also tend to avoid "generic" titles with stuff, so I guess my messages didn't cross-reference with anybody else's. Until we are sure this issue is resolved, I would say the weirder your PM title is, the less likely you are to have an issue with your post ending up in someone else's box. But that needs to be fixed NOW.

My assumption is that she'll be getting flooded with PMs so I don't want to add to those. I posted about it in this official thread in the hope that she'll see mine and other peoples reports and handle them appropriately. It is very worrying though. I didn't read all the way through them (because it's not my information to go reading), just enough to see what had happened. But for all I know there could be PMs which contain private information sitting in other people's inbox.

<center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • gulberat
    @khamseenair, I posted a separate thread for your PM/Inbox issue, since I think that's pretty major. Thought you'd want to know!

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • khamseenair
    @khamseenair, I posted a separate thread for your PM/Inbox issue, since I think that's pretty major. Thought you'd want to know!

Ah cool thanks. I'll go check it out.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • frtoaster
    Yeah on the topic of PMs, there is definitely something strange going on. It looks like any PM I've received with the same title that have been sent to others are now in my PM list.

For example, I once received an infraction for being a little vocal about something and I've now got a PM 'thread' with 963 posts in it going out to lots of different people who have received infractions. It includes all private correspondence between these people and the Mods who issued the original infraction.

And another, after the 'meet up' sessions Brandon held a few years back he sent out PMs with convention codes to claim the convention veteran title and Holo Leeta. I'm guessing those PMs all had the same title as that's now gone from a single message to me, into a thread with 34 messages. I can see all of Brandon's messages along with all replies sent to him.

I can confirm this bug. The thread entitled "I have a question" in my inbox includes PMs that I shouldn't be seeing. On the other hand, the warning that I received from askray is gone.
  • eldarth
    eldarth Posts: 4,366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    "Hide" option on forum categories appears to not work -- at all.

Edit: Got it - Hide only hides from "Discussion" listing.
    Post edited by eldarth on
  • gulberat
    eldarth wrote: »
    "Hide" option on forum categories appears to not work -- at all.

Are you trying to hide subforums, or (for example) the entire Neverwinter or STO board? I successfully got the Neverwinter forum, which I never use, hidden, as well as most of the other non-STO games.

• illcadia
    illcadia Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    How the bleeding heck do you get animated avatars? None of the ones, within the file limit, that I upload animate.
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    illcadia wrote: »
    How the bleeding heck do you get animated avatars? None of the ones, within the file limit, that I upload animate.

In short, you remove your current avatar, DO NOT upload one here, and use the general Arc profile for your avatar. Since you can upload gifs there and this forum has accounts linked through that, your gifs there become your avatar here.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • eradicator84
    eradicator84 Posts: 855 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I managed to sign up for these forums BEFORE the STO forums were migrated. As a result I appear to have a post count of zero. Well maybe 1 with this post.

I'm not sure what else may also be affected with my account from the migration.
    @pwlaughingtrendy can you look into it?

And after making my first post after migration, post count gets updated! lol
    ignore this post
    Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO news page? Try THIS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Using - Qui'Tu, Pythus Fighter Favs - Corsair, Klinzhai, Mogh, Mat'Ha, Voth Fighter
    Some others - Manasa, Qib, Nicor, Sheshar, JAS, Bulwark The rest - HERE
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,256 Arc User
    testing my signature dont mind me

safe_image.php?d=AQAIk_5sCYq0fzS8&url=http%3A%2F%2F38.media.tumblr.com%2Fc695f328c86efa1496759c1280b4b5cd%2Ftumblr_nowk71Vuc01telzlzo1_500.gif&ext=gif

• khamseenair
    I managed to sign up for these forums BEFORE the STO forums were migrated. As a result I appear to have a post count of zero. Well maybe 1 with this post.

I'm not sure what else may also be affected with my account from the migration.
    @pwlaughingtrendy can you look into it?

And after making my first post after migration, post count gets updated! lol
    ignore this post

Made a very similar post, and it got edited in a very similar manner haha.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • monkeybone13
    monkeybone13 Posts: 3,442 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'll mention this again since it's starting to get annoying.

When I go to http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums# and log in I am taken away from the forums and put onto the arcgames homepage here http://www.arcgames.com/en/games every single time. From this page there is no way that I can find to navigate back to the Arc forums and I have to use a bookmarked page in my browser to get back here. When logging into the Arc forums homepage I should *stay* on the Arc forums homepage, not get sent to the arcgames *games* page. :angry:

Edit: Missing my STO forums post count. I had over 3100 posts before the migration.

Also the page layout of the Arc forums is messed up as others have posted pics of (I too am using Firefox).

Edit 2: Links in my post are white text. They use to be blue by default on the STO forums so you can see it's something you can actually click on.
    picard-facepalm_zpssvoltqmi.jpg~original
  • frtoaster
    edited June 2015
    frtoaster wrote: »
    According to my profile, I apparently have 1958 comments. I'm pretty sure I had over 2000 posts in the old STO forums.
    Edit: Missing my STO forums post count. I had over 3100 posts before the migration.

I actually figured this one out.

1. Click on your forum name at the top.
    2. Click on "Discussions" in the sidebar on the left.

You'll see every thread you ever started, but only discussions started on the Vanilla forums count toward the total. The initial posts of threads you started on the old forums are not being counted.
  • gulberat
    Your post total is comprised of Comments (replies to a thread) plus Discussions (threads you started), and I have found that the total is adding up for me. My total over here (about 150 total posts) merged with my prior total (around 3300) late this evening, and the math now makes sense.

• daveyny
    daveyny Posts: 4,787 Arc User
    I'm not liking that I have to scroll all the way back to the top of a thread to get to the next page...
    <grumble..., grumble..., grumble...>
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    Star Trek Fan since Sept. 8th, 1966.
    Still a STO Veteran Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • frtoaster
    Your post total is comprised of Comments (replies to a thread) plus Discussions (threads you started), and I have found that the total is adding up for me. My total over here (about 150 total posts) merged with my prior total (around 3300) late this evening, and the math now makes sense.

Well, it's not adding up for me. I only have two discussions that I started on the Vanilla forums, and it seems that those are the only two that are being counted. The threads that I started old forums are not being counted.
  • gulberat
    edited June 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    I'm not liking that I have to scroll all the way back to the top of a thread to get to the next page...
    B)

In the interim, hit Page Up on your keyboard if you are on a computer or laptop instead of a mobile device.
    frtoaster wrote: »

Well, it's not adding up for me. I only have two discussions that I started on the Vanilla forums, and it seems that those are the only two that are being counted. The threads that I started old forums are not being counted.

Huh...not sure what to say there, since it looks like all 77 of my thread starts are being counted.

• qziqza
    qziqza Posts: 969 Arc User
    guljarol wrote: »
    I had a conversation in my PM box that I wasn't a participant of, too. I skimmed through the first posts to confirm this, and then deleted it. It felt like reading others' letter, and I wanted no part of it.

yeah i had the same thing.. 28 posts count in a PM conversation seemed very random, thought I was loosing my marbles then realised they weren't mine so... deleted!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • eiledon
    eiledon Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    B)

If you use greasemonkey, add the following user script to re-enable the hidden bottom pagination block, at least until they get their formatting sorted

// ==UserScript==
    // @name VanillaStuff
    // @namespace Eiledon
    // @include */discussion/*
    // ==/UserScript==

document.getElementById("PagerAfter").style.display = "inline-block";

Categories