Vanilla Forum Migration Status Update 6/22/15

Comments

• instynctive
    instynctive Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    A few things that I've noticed right off:
    • There needs to be more/better formatting I see a page with (pretty much) nothing but white lettering.
    • Sigliness are OUT of control. Sigline images are way too big. Yes, I know there's an option (or should be) to disable siglines, but that the moment, those are really the only things that clearly delineate posts. The <hr> between post and sigline should be a little more clear as well.
    • A "Read New" option would be great. I don't remember which page/post I left off with on any given topic and I sure don't have time to guess/scroll through.
    • Is there a "New Posts" link that I'm missing, instead of having to comb through all the forums to see if there's a new post or not, and whether or not I'm even interested in reading it.
    • Formatting needs to be mentioned twice. I'm going blind with this color scheme.
    These forums are actually starting to take shape! :-)
  • opkossy
    opkossy Posts: 11,177 Community Moderator
    • There needs to be more/better formatting I see a page with (pretty much) nothing but white lettering.
    • Sigliness are OUT of control. Sigline images are way too big. Yes, I know there's an option (or should be) to disable siglines, but that the moment, those are really the only things that clearly delineate posts. The <hr> between post and sigline should be a little more clear as well.
    • A "Read New" option would be great. I don't remember which page/post I left off with on any given topic and I sure don't have time to guess/scroll through.
    • Is there a "New Posts" link that I'm missing, instead of having to comb through all the forums to see if there's a new post or not, and whether or not I'm even interested in reading it.
    • Formatting needs to be mentioned twice. I'm going blind with this color scheme.

Yeah. Formatting's pretty horrid as is. A couple of posters have made their own changes for it though and it makes a considerable difference. For more on that, check http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/7895/testing-bug-hunting-and-finding-exploits/p22 Specifically, the first two links in NRGLG's signature. It also addresses the issue with signature images (not to mention enlarges avatars to something we can actually see).

The read new thing is actually kind of a default when you click threads as they'll automatically take you to the first unread post. Problem is that it doesn't work too well when using the Arc shell to browse the forums. Browsing directly via perfectworld.vanillaforums.com fixes that issue handily, though.

There's not really a way to get new posts and ONLY new posts right now. The activity feed is a mess at the moment and short of bookmarking everything and getting flooded with notifications as a result, you don't have any options on that end.
    (Insert fancy image here)
  • jcsww
    jcsww Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    jcsww wrote: »
    Some sort of confirmation that they are working on a fix for those who can't login would be greatly appreciated!
    Hey jcsww, we actually just introduced a fix to the login issues today. If you're still having issues with logging into the forums on another account or know a person who can't login, can you please provide their name so I can send it for more debugging?

Thank you, @pwlaughingtrendy! I will let the people I know having issues to give logging in a try.

Edit: I just noticed there is no way to link to a specific post. Would it be possible to have that ability return? It specifically makes referencing a specific post much easier.
    Reminder: Put something here!
  • khamseenair
    khamseenair Posts: 345 Arc User
    Some sort of confirmation that they are working on a fix for those who can't login would be greatly appreciated!
    Hey jcsww, we actually just introduced a fix to the login issues today. If you're still having issues with logging into the forums on another account or know a person who can't login, can you please provide their name so I can send it for more debugging?

Thank you, @pwlaughingtrendy! I will let the people I know having issues to give logging in a try.

Edit: I just noticed there is no way to link to a specific post. Would it be possible to have that ability return? It specifically makes referencing a specific post much easier.

To link to a post, right click on the time the post was made (on the left, under the avatar) and copy link address.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!</center>
  • jcsww
    edited June 2015

To link to a post, right click on the time the post was made (on the left, under the avatar) and copy link address.

Thank you! That definitely helps a lot! It would be slightly easier if things like links were more visible for people to see. I didn't even realize the time was a link until you mentioned it. Also, posting links within text is the same color as the default text color.
  • cookiecrook
    cookiecrook Posts: 3,490 Arc User
    > @jcsww said:
    > pwlaughingtrendy wrote: »
    >
    > jcsww wrote: »
    >
    > Some sort of confirmation that they are working on a fix for those who can't login would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >
    >
    > Hey jcsww, we actually just introduced a fix to the login issues today. If you're still having issues with logging into the forums on another account or know a person who can't login, can you please provide their name so I can send it for more debugging?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Thank you, pwlaughingtrendy! I will let the people I know having issues to give logging in a try.
    >
    > Edit: I just noticed there is no way to link to a specific post. Would it be possible to have that ability return? It specifically makes referencing a specific post much easier.

Working here! Thank you, everyone!
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • ilithyn
    ilithyn Posts: 125 Arc User
    Also I just noticed when I go to my account on the forums I'm no longer able to delete notifications. Yesterday when I hovered my mouse over the notifications there was an 'X' on the right and clicking it allowed me to delete the notification and I would get a pop up asking if I'm sure I want to do that.

Edit: On the account page my join date shows up as 'June 12' instead of 'September 2012'.

At least my post count seems to be correct.

I can't delete notifications either, which makes it even harder to know which new comment is the first - as if it wasn't hard enough already. My join date says April 28 (and I suppose asking for at least a 'th' at the end of that would be too much) which was is the date I first visited this place, not when I joined neither STO forum or even just arc.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • angrysprite
    angrysprite Posts: 5,065 Arc User
    PROBLEM:

Unable to log into Vanilla forums UNLESS: I visit Arcgames.com - login, then jump to forums from one specific game's web page (Swordsman) - *Every other Arcgames game page sends me to vanilla forums but I am NOT logged-in. The web pages are not passing the account (logged-in) token to the forums.

Please fix this. It is stupid that I have to log into Vanilla from Swordsman page, then (and only then) manually change the browser address bar to the game I want to participate in.
  • jcsww
    Apparently I have a new message in my inbox. However, I can not access it to see what that message is.
  • hipachilles
    hipachilles Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    EDIT: Also, are we getting the dev tracker back?? Was a very helpful tool to have.

Hey @pwlaughingtrendy
    As a short-term fix, could we maybe ask each DEV to add the #STODEVTRACKER hashtag to posts so we can manually search for them?
  • khamseenair
    EDIT: Also, are we getting the dev tracker back?? Was a very helpful tool to have.

Hey @pwlaughingtrendy
    As a short-term fix, could we maybe ask each DEV to add the #STODEVTRACKER hashtag to posts so we can manually search for them?
    I had thought about that myself, but it doesn't appear to show up straight away. Not sure what the delay is exactly, but for instance if I do a search just now your post does not show.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
    Check my GitHub for details on STO forum themes: https://github.com/khamseen/PWEVan
  • hipachilles
    hipachilles Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I had thought about that myself, but it doesn't appear to show up straight away. Not sure what the delay is exactly, but for instance if I do a search just now your post does not show.

I see what you mean. Not only will the #HASHTAG not work as a dev tracker workaround, but it doesn't seem to work well at all. I hope, at the very least, that someone is making money on this Forum transition, because it sure is hurting the sense of community.

EDIT: Ha! And now both #hashtag 's are working. Isn't this just a hoot?
  • gulberat
    gulberat Posts: 400 Arc User
    I don't think this post is supposed to be located in the STO section without being in one of the subforums:

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1191230/renegade-officer-reassignment

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    I don't think this post is supposed to be located in the STO section without being in one of the subforums:

http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1191230/renegade-officer-reassignment

Yeah, many of the root forums can be posted in. However, once mod permissions (eventually) get sorted out, the respective moderators for each section can just move the thread to its proper section.

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • lewstelamon01
    lewstelamon01 Posts: 15,946 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    EDIT: Double freaking post....

ROLL TIDE ROLL
  • gfreeman98
    gfreeman98 Posts: 872 Arc User
    cdnhawk wrote: »
    <-- "Neverwinter User"??? What the heck is this??
    I don't know, but I've never played Champions Online, either.

screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    Patch Note and Official Announcement forums for BOI and WOI can be posted to by normal users (but yay, we got all the player forums back that were weirdly hidden before, such as the pet forums for BOI).

Also might wanna sweep for sub-forums that were mod/admin only under VB that are visible here. I pointed out the ones I knew of to Strum but it wouldn't hurt to triple-check.

Might do that now, just so I don't have to handle that later on...

Side note, I've seen people complaining about quotes not nesting. Not sure if you've already found this, but http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/profile/quotes

Sigs are something that PWE intends to fix sooner rather than later - they don't enjoy having gigantic flashing signatures any more than you do. That'll also be helped when they finish standardizing the RoC for the various forums that were migrated.
  • gulberat
    edited June 2015
    I don't mind some GIFs, or think that all graphics larger than the previous forum are a problem--especially given increased screen resolutions over when vBulletin was first implemented. That said, I've seen a few signatures that I would bet could provoke seizures in people and I don't think that's cool at all.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • solkron
    solkron Posts: 1
    Wozu gibts oben die Sprache Deutsch wenn hier alles auf Englisch ist ? Tolle Foren zusammenführung. Ist ja wohl der letzte Husten sowas
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    solkron wrote: »
    Wozu gibts oben die Sprache Deutsch wenn hier alles auf Englisch ist ? Tolle Foren zusammenführung. Ist ja wohl der letzte Husten sowas

Es gibt eine deutsche Sektion des Forums. Wenn Sie eingehende Unterstützung zu einem Thema benötigen und sind nicht sicher, wie es zu übersetzen, veröffentlichen in diesem Forum.

(Sorry for the Google Translate German - it's not a language I speak, but I tried to work with it to make it readable)
  • instynctive
    I don't mind some GIFs, or think that all graphics larger than the previous forum are a problem--especially given increased screen resolutions over when vBulletin was first implemented. That said, I've seen a few signatures that I would bet could provoke seizures in people and I don't think that's cool at all.

Honestly, your sigline image is way too big, as an example (not a criticism, just an opinion). Higher monitor resolution or not, I'm here to read, not look at pictures.
  • khamseenair

Honestly, your sigline image is way too big, as an example (not a criticism, just an opinion). Higher monitor resolution or not, I'm here to read, not look at pictures.

One of the 'best' improvements via CSS edits so far is that nrglg added a size restriction to signatures. So I'm no longer caring about sigs because they are all standardised. It makes a big difference.
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • instynctive
    edited June 2015
    Oh, and there is no pagination at the bottom of the screen.. so in order to go to the next page, I have to scroll up or hit the HOME key.

While yes, it's a minor inconvenience, when you add up so many "minor inconveniences", that makes it a BIG inconvenience.

And, honestly, if I was laying out however many hundreds thousands of dollars per year for crappy forum software, I'd expect the branding to be removed.
  • khamseenair
    It appears you've now completely removed our ability to delete notifications from our list... Like it wasn't bad enough getting 100+ a day and having to delete them one by one, now we can't delete them at all...
    <center>Ciaran%20Sig.jpg
  • gulberat

If you use an ad blocker (I know AdBlock Plus for Firefox does this), you have the option to block single images by right clicking and setting up a filter, which I have done to about three signatures. That is another way to deal with a particular image should you not want to block all sigs, or if there is something you don't want to see that is NOT a TOS violation. (Example: I HATE rage comics and do not want to see them, but they are not a TOS violation unless they have swear words on them...that way I can take care of it on my end since it's a personal preference.)

But personally I think the main issue is animated sigs. I can think of one in particular that seems like major seizure material.

• nynik
    nynik Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I can't search within this thread so forgive me if this has already come up.

There seem to be login issues when using the chrome browser. It either fails to recognize that you are logged in, or if it shows you are logged in, it will not allow you to post. Your logged in status seems to switch as you navigate into and out of threads.

It is really inconsistent and very frustrating.

Surely this forum is capable of being used on multiple browsers (*checks it is in fact 2015*) and that PW have engaged with Vanilla about resolving this clear and demonstrably repeatable flaw with the chrome browser (used by an estimated 26% of all internet users by the way).

Until these issues are resolved I imagine many users feel as I do - that we are being turned away from participating in community discussion.

Thank you.

• zbzzn
    zbzzn Posts: 199 Arc User
    I needed to add arcgames.com and vanillaforums.com to my cookie exceptions in Chromium to get it to work.

Login on Firefox still doesn't work at all, seemingly due to Vanilla using deprecated crypto.
  • primar13
    primar13 Posts: 985 Arc User
    You can Link a Post by Clicking the Post Date/Time of it from the Left Sidebar.

Directive 010 - Purple Company Commander
    Twitter Junkie
    #ItsAllMarcosFault
  • magenubbie
    magenubbie Posts: 4,762 Arc User
    zbzzn wrote: »
    I needed to add arcgames.com and vanillaforums.com to my cookie exceptions in Chromium to get it to work.

Login on Firefox still doesn't work at all, seemingly due to Vanilla using deprecated crypto.
    In FF you'll have to allow vanilla (and arc) to place 3rd party cookies.. Disgusting, I agree, but that's probably why you can't visit here using FF.
    "What if your home, your family... What if your dope was on fire?"
    "Impossible, sir. It's in Johnson's underwear."

Help! I'm level 60! A guide to the life of an adventurer

"Don't mess with the bull, young man. Or you'll get the horns. - Richard Vernon
    "Common sense is not that common" - Voltaire
  • gulberat
    I am logged in via Firefox.

Categories