What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lifetime Subscription Sale

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I think they should offer a bigger discount for those of us with the 12 month recurring subscription. We all ready put in $119.99.

119$ ... , plus a ship or three , plus the game at full retail price , I'd say that the lifers from the beginning got the better deal overall ... , which is why a 30-35% "sale" would have been nicer .
    I still don't know if I can go for the current sale price .:o
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You couldnt be more wrong if you tried. If you actually look at how Champs system works, MOST of the content is available to free players. However, key elements which people may want are not. In addition, monthly subscribers get a free amount of Cryptic points every month to spend in the store.

Though we cant say exactly how it would work with STO, it would likely be very similar to Champs. Free players would get access to most content, but probably wouldnt have as many uniform and ship options, and probably wouldnt be able to create missions in the Foundry.

Either way you cut it, your statement I highlighted above is most definitely wrong.

If that's the case, then being a subscriber doesn't have enough perks to justify the cost. STO also isn't the average MMO. We haven't paid any extra for the added content Cryptic provides us. If STO went F2P, there clearly wouldn't be enough revenue from the C-Store to support the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    JCSWW wrote: »
    If that's the case, then being a subscriber doesn't have enough perks to justify the cost.

Thats a decision each person will have to make for themselves. However, after Champs announced it was going F2P, players REQUESTED they bring back the LT sub option and many people have bought it since then. Apparently those people disagree with you.
    STO also isn't the average MMO. We haven't paid any extra for the added content Cryptic provides us.

Of course we havent. Everything we have gotten since launch is only catching up to where the game should have been upon release. We're not talking about expansions here, we're talking about basic gameplay that should have existed at launch but didnt.
    If STO went F2P, there clearly wouldn't be enough revenue from the C-Store to support the game.

See my first paragraph. Other people obviously disagree about there not being enough perks to subscribe, and those subscriptions will still be generating revenue in a F2P hybrid model.

Further proof of my point can be seein in LOTRO. I would say that 85% of the gameplay is available to free players, yet they have TRIPLED their revenue since going F2P:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/turbine-lotro-revenue-tripled-since-going-f2p/
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Responding to a question about converting a current character, to a liberated Borg after one purchases a
    lifetime subscription:
    StormShade wrote:
    No, we can't do that right now. Although DStahl would like to be able to do something along these lines later on down the road.

Thanks,

Stormshade

I'm happy to hear this! I'd love my primary toon to get assimilated, then liberated :)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dondaddyd wrote: »
    The US bias in this game astonishes me. Couldn't they have put the discounted price in £ (UK Pounds) and Euro's?

Not all of us who play this game live in America and some of us who don't live in America would still consider buying a life time subscription.

Now if the cost in pounds is accurate to the exchange rate then that's £150, which is roughly ($240) which I'll likely pay.

If it is 20% off the existing price, which is currently £200, then the discounted UK price is £180. While a dscount is a discount I'm not playing that. Saving only £20 just doesn't seem worth it.

I would really appreciate it if a Mod or Dev or someone offical could confirm.

Thanks.

We're a US based company. So, please understand that this isn't meant as an afterthought. What happened is this sale was approved, and as soon as it was we posted the messaging to let you all know it was coming. Now that we've had a little more time to make sure everything looks correct, we have the amounts for the other currencies we accept:

CAD: 247.19
    GBP: 153.99
    EUR: 174.99
    DKK: 1300

Please note that these prices do not include any taxes (such as the VAT) that we are required by law to charge in addition to the price we've set.

I'll update the OP to reflect those prices.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:
    We're a US based company. So, please understand that this isn't meant as an afterthought. What happened is this sale was approved, and as soon as it was we posted the messaging to let you all know it was coming. Now that we've had a little more time to make sure everything looks correct, we have the amounts for the other currencies we accept:

Please note that these prices do not include any taxes (such as the VAT) that we are required by law to charge in addition to the price we've set.

Thanks,

Stormshade

So nice to see that your American company still hasn't realized our Canuck Buck is worth more than your Yankee Dollar.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So nice to see that your American company still hasn't realized our Canuck Buck is worth more than your Yankee Dollar.

Actually, the two are very near parity right now. With 1 USD being about 1.002 canadian. Then again that's google, another American company who prolly hasn't realized either.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Actually from what I can tell, the Canadian/American exchange rate is nearly identical with a difference of less that 1%. I suspect the $7 difference is a result of the fact that most financial institutions won't exchange currencies for free.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dang, and i just purchased Lifetime last month after paying a subscription since march. Having some buyers remorse :(

Oh Well, STO FTW! great job guys hopefully we'll get some more players!

Could be worse..... you could have bought it yesterday.

After weeks of debate, you finally decide to make the commitment and purchase the Lifetime Subscription...... :cool:

.... 3 hours later.......

Lifetime Subs 20% off!!! :eek:

..... 1 minute after you find out......

DOH! :mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Actually from what I can tell, the Canadian/American exchange rate is nearly identical with a difference of less that 1%. I suspect the $7 difference is a result of the fact that most financial institutions won't exchange currencies for free.

Then I would really like the option to pay in US funds. My financial institution doesn't charge me any fees on paying in foreign currencies.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Could be worse..... you could have bought it yesterday.

After weeks of debate, you finally decide to make the commitment and purchase the Lifetime Subscription...... :cool:

.... 3 hours later.......

Lifetime Subs 20% off!!! :eek:

..... 1 minute after you find out......

DOH! :mad:

Try calling customer service with both. They may be helpful. I don't know personally, but that may be something they can help with.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    If I had the spare cash I would pick up a second lifetime account, for my girlfriend's son. He has been playing playing a trial account and loves it, and he has only seen one episode of Enterprise (Broken Arrow pt 1) and the Abrams film.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    from what i understand - lifers for CO get a monthly Cstore allowance as well as full access to content.

whereas FTP players get no Cstore allowance and limited access...

this is from what i have read, and not a direct quote from anyone.

And I plan on using my C-store allowance to purchase STO items, heh
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sadly there was a dev post on the CO forums saying that the points gained from the stipend were going to be game specific, meaning the points you are given in CO can only be used in CO. Points that you buy normally can be used in both games though. I'll see if I can dig up that post.

Edit: Found them.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showpost.php?p=1742260&postcount=2

http://forums.champions-online.com/showpost.php?p=1742324&postcount=4
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    gonna do it if its back at 299.99 when taxes return, now why would anybody buy a lifetime to a game that is F2P? does the lifetime for champions mean new content will still come out for it? do you get better stuff that in 1-2 months the F2P players can cp purchase outa the CS?

I gotta tell you the pre orders that are now in the CS for STO kinda sucks, why did anybody pony extra dough just to have it CS purchasable 1-6 months later? That is the only thing that makes my head spin on this game.

I play SWG and no rewards are later purchasable from sony in any kind of store.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

Thanks,

Stormshade

Thats all very good but what is it in the Zimbabwean Dollar!!!!!????
    RAWR I QUIT!
    :p

PS Oh and by the way I demand a way to get this in game via emblems or etc
    :p
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Being rude and arrogant (as your post was) is never necessary. No one is forcing you to play this game, pay for anything, etc. so it is your choice.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jewkesman wrote: »
    gonna do it if its back at 299.99 when taxes return, now why would anybody buy a lifetime to a game that is F2P? does the lifetime for champions mean new content will still come out for it? do you get better stuff that in 1-2 months the F2P players can cp purchase outa the CS?

I gotta tell you the pre orders that are now in the CS for STO kinda sucks, why did anybody pony extra dough just to have it CS purchasable 1-6 months later? That is the only thing that makes my head spin on this game.

I play SWG and no rewards are later purchasable from sony in any kind of store.

Please allow me to direct you here: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3277832#post3277832
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    And I plan on using my C-store allowance to purchase STO items, heh

As it has said a few times, the c-store allowance you get in CO doesn't follow to STO :p
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jewkesman wrote: »
    gonna do it if its back at 299.99 when taxes return, now why would anybody buy a lifetime to a game that is F2P?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3277832#post3277832
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

StormShade, could you please review the exchange rate situation between Canada and the United States? At the very least, it should be at par if you want to just make life easier. There isn't any reason at all that Canadians should be paying more at this point in time.

Thanks in advance from a Canadian!
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

Thanks,

Stormshade

Its very amusing that it has come to this. Seriously, just list the price in USD and a link to a currency convertion site. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Askray wrote: »
    As it has said a few times, the c-store allowance you get in CO doesn't follow to STO :p

Then I guess since I've bought almost all c-store items in Champions already then I'll have alot of unspent points in the future :(

I suppose I can find a use for more costume slots, though I already have 20+ available
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dang, and i just purchased Lifetime last month after paying a subscription since march. Having some buyers remorse :(

Oh Well, STO FTW! great job guys hopefully we'll get some more players!

Same here now :(

I had a subscription pay until January, so if I had just renew for one more month I could had save like $45.00

Wouldn't it be such a wonderful surprise (or a delay Christmas gift) if they were to give at least some Cryptic points to the Lifetime members who bought the membership just a few months early :D

(Just 2000 Cryptic points would make me feel 110% happier)

Aside from that, fantastic idea and hope to see many new players soon ;)
    tolwyn21 wrote:
    StormShade, could you please review the exchange rate situation between Canada and the United States? At the very least, it should be at par if you want to just make life easier. There isn't any reason at all that Canadians should be paying more at this point in time.

Thanks in advance from a Canadian!

They did just review the exchange tolwyn21. (Plus the Canadian dollar is already on the way down).

What I was told is that they do this reviews every 3 month or so, therefore the next one is due in march.

PS: in December it used to be worse, they were giving us just 88 cents on the dollar when the exchange was at 98 cents.
  • Options
    edited January 2011

They did just review the exchange tolwyn21. (Plus the Canadian dollar is already on the way down).

What I was told is that they do this reviews every 3 month or so, therefore the next one is due in march.

PS: in December it use to be worse, they were giving us just 88 cents on the dollar when the exchange was at 98 cents.

If they'd do another review for this sale, I'm sure it will generate some goodwill for some very little effort -- if indeed they only review once every three months. The CDN dollar is expected to stay at par or just above for a good chunk of this year. For the most part, it's been above par for the last few weeks now.

I know some people might think I'm just quibbling about a few cents, but when you're watching your budget and cash -- every bit helps.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    jkstocbr wrote:
    Its very amusing that it has come to this. Seriously, just list the price in USD and a link to a currency convertion site. :rolleyes:

Heh, it's the whole 'PST/UTC/what time is that for me' situation, except, this time, with monies! :D

(j/k, but it did kind of remind me of that, lol)
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
    Thanks

If this wasn't so cheap I'd take the time to say that while I understand your a US company and eager to get the information out there, wouldn't it be prudent to wait until everything "looked correct" before going live with the information.

But it is cheap, and your response was timely, so thank you.

Depending on the impact of VAT (with it it'll cost £186, damn country) I will probably become a lifer.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Dondaddyd wrote: »
    If this wasn't so cheap I'd take the time to say that while I understand your a US company and eager to get the information out there, wouldn't it be prudent to wait until everything "looked correct" before going live with the information.

In this case, we wanted to make sure anyone considering a LTS knew about the sale as soon as possible. So, we announced it before we had all of the details worked out, with the intent of getting those additional numbers out as quickly as possible.

Why?

Well, we wanted to make sure anyone considering a $300 (USD) purchase knew that we'd be offering it for a fairly substantial discount as soon as possible. Despite the occasional bout of popular opinion to the contrary, we really do like you guys, and think of you fondly quite often. :D

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ooooo you're good. I like you!!!

:D
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:
    In this case, we wanted to make sure anyone considering a LTS knew about the sale as soon as possible. So, we announced it before we had all of the details worked out, with the intent of getting those additional numbers out as quickly as possible.

Why?

Well, we wanted to make sure anyone considering a $300 (USD) purchase knew that we'd be offering it for a fairly substantial discount as soon as possible. Despite the occasional bout of popular opinion to the contrary, we really do like you guys, and think of you fondly quite often. :D

Thanks,

Stormshade

It doesn't matter what you do Stormy, someone will always complain about something. If you released this news 1 month earlier, people would still complain that they missed out somehow. I dont envy your job. Man you must have the skin of a Klingon! :p
This discussion has been closed.