Install Arc
Options

Lifetime Subscription Sale

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011

Quick question, does my name and title (career officer) show up as it is supposed to?

You have to turn that on yourself. Click on 'My Account" at the top of the forum page then click "group memberships' on the list. You can turn on the title there.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I picked up the lifetime subscription just like 3 or 4 days ago, after having site or browser issues with renewing a game card. I never really did figure out which... Thankfully, I won't have to worry about anything like that anymore. My next purchases for STO will be in the C-Store.

Before anyone asks me where's the blue "Career Officer" title on my posts, I'm debating whether to go with it yet, as I really don't want anyone to think I'm going to bash them over the head with it, as some may have done previously.

I will say this, though. I am a serious Star Trek fan, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what cool new stories come up next. Can't wait for the newest feature series hitting on Saturday.

"See you... out there!" -- Q "All Good Things" [TNG-Season 7]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just bought a Life Time Subscription. I look at it his way. It is less than a standard 2 year subscription ($14/month) and the same as two yearly subscriptions ( $120/yr). So end of this year it will be 50% payed off and then end of next year 100% payed off, then FREE from that point on. Just in case the monthly fee goes up anytime in the next 24 months, it just pays for itself early. Also remember NO fee hike from now on.
    I prefer life time subscriptions. I have one I got back in 1980 at $190. Today the same life time subscription is over $800. So they do pay for themselves quickly.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've been trying since last night to pick up the LTS, but I keep getting an error.

"We are unable to process your order temporarily. Please try again. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Anybody else see this? I've already logged a ticket,but am getting somewhat antsy because the deadline for the offer is looming.

If this is a global problem and not just one with my account, I hope Cryptic will extend the sale to allow us last-minute folks a chance to purchase.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I had the same problem and couldn't actually do it in time it seems. :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TornKnight wrote:
    I had the same problem and couldn't actually do it in time it seems. :mad:

I got mine around noon time today (Friday Feb 4th, 2011 - EST)...

Had a bit of a problem, but it turned out I hadn't updated my Credit Card in a while.
    (also had to dash out this morning to cash my paycheck and pay some bills.)

So I just squeaked in under the wire.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Got mine this morning. Frankly, I'm having a blast with STO. I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with next. This latest patch is a fantastic overhaul. Keep it coming!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm still arguing with Customer so-called Service about this.
    They had the gall to copy and paste their "I'm sorry, your card was declined, please try the purchase again" script on me TWICE.

I'm extremely frustrated. Once upon a time, you could CALL Cryptic directly and talk to someone that was usually helpful. I had great luck back in the nightmare days when STO first launched and we had all sorts of account confusion. Now we get to "chat" with someone that doesn't have the power to actually do anything and then forwarded off to some online ticket system that, at least in my case, seems intent on blowing me off or seems to be manned by robots.

Cryptic, we want your customer service back!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Moxie3000 wrote:
    They had the gall to copy and paste their "I'm sorry, your card was declined, please try the purchase again" script on me TWICE.

I'm extremely frustrated. Once upon a time, you could CALL Cryptic directly and talk to someone that was usually helpful. I had great luck back in the nightmare days when STO first launched and we had all sorts of account confusion. Now we get to "chat" with someone that doesn't have the power to actually do anything and then forwarded off to some online ticket system that, at least in my case, seems intent on blowing me off or seems to be manned by robots.

if thats been solved, or not, i'd like to know. just curious as to hoe cryptic treat people in your possition.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bohort wrote: »
    if thats been solved, or not, i'd like to know. just curious as to hoe cryptic treat people in your possition.

CS has been moved to Atari. Cryptics was pretty good before Atari took over the CS.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yea, I referred a friend who neve actually got his account active... because when he tried to add a 60 day card it said "there's a problem with the code" and not only that, he bought the CE and none of the stuff in it showed up in his account... nor did the game allow him more than a "trial account" even though he entered the key from the CE. after 3 weeks of messing with support, he just quit strait up trying... Cryptic lost yet another subscriber that day. if they don't care enough about earning money to have a functional account support then to hell heck with it, it's their loss.
  • Options
    edited February 2011

How is Cryptic supposed to treat it - if a credit card is declined when an attempt to purchase is made, I'd say the persin needs to call their bank and find out why the bank declined the transaction (a lot of banks do have special rules about internet transactions over a certain dollar amount etc.); and ythere's nothing the company who is attempting to complete the transaction can do per se (ie Cryptic CAN'T call the bank and demand they approve the transaction, the card holder has to try and make some arrangement.)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You're looking at midmarket rates, not what your bank (or Cryptic's in this case) charges them for the currency. Banks are not legally required to sell currency at the midmarket rate. Assuming Cryptic uses Bank of America (they may not), they would pay $243.09 + a 3-6% conversion fee.

Cryptic can charge whatever it bloody well likes for its products. There is no legal requirement that they charge the same price for the same product in all countries. If they want to make the Canadian subscription $308, they have every right to do that. No Attorney General will stop them from doing business because they choose to charge more for their product in another country.

Next time you decide to say something like this, ask a lawyer first. I did. She was very specific about it being unlawful for any company to gouge exchange rates like that. They can't 'charge whatever they want' as you put it. Notice that any major company you can name does not do so. Why? because they don't want to get in legal trouble from their customers. and the be clear, they are not 'charging more for their product in another country' they are in fact, 'applying a different exchange rate for a service being purchased in the US' there is a difference. In short, no company is allowed to make up any exchange rate they want. That is why the exchange rate for currencies is federally regulated. ask the Princes store that got nailed for this back in the late 90s in the US. Ironically they were offering a few cents more than the federal level. Not sure why anyone would have complained about that but then again people do weird things.

Personally I don't care as I will not be buying a lifetime account. It is not worth my time to bother filing a complaint about that. Though I am curious as to why cryptic charged $9 on my card without authorization and added several extra days to my sub after doing so. Thats a big no no. Theres also the matter of charging $1 every time I renew my sub without explanation or a statement saying it is being done.

Anyways this is getting off topic so i'll stop there.

and PS: and cryptic, if you want people to buy lifetime accounts, actually do something to to the game to make it worth buying one. theres not enough to come close as it is now.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Armsman wrote: »
    How is Cryptic supposed to treat it - if a credit card is declined when an attempt to purchase is made, I'd say the persin needs to call their bank and find out why the bank declined the transaction (a lot of banks do have special rules about internet transactions over a certain dollar amount etc.); and ythere's nothing the company who is attempting to complete the transaction can do per se (ie Cryptic CAN'T call the bank and demand they approve the transaction, the card holder has to try and make some arrangement.)

if it was that i dont think he'd of mentioned anything. unless he's 12
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    if it was that i dont think he'd of mentioned anything. unless he's 12
    Moxie3000 wrote:
    I've been trying since last night to pick up the LTS, but I keep getting an error.

"We are unable to process your order temporarily. Please try again. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Anybody else see this? I've already logged a ticket,but am getting somewhat antsy because the deadline for the offer is looming.

If this is a global problem and not just one with my account, I hope Cryptic will extend the sale to allow us last-minute folks a chance to purchase.

and the other post of his you quoted:
    Moxie3000 wrote:

Where Cryptic's respomse was:
    I'm sorry, your card was declined, please try the purchase again"

IE - the were unable to process it becaise the card was declined (and many e-transaction sites won't give the "sorry your card was declined" - they'll give the "there was an error" and when you inquire will then give the reason to you personally (Sorry sir, the bank declined the transaction on the credit card submitted); and go from there.

From the posts - it looks like his financial institution declined his card.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rhodes85 wrote: »
    Next time you decide to say something like this, ask a lawyer first. I did. She was very specific about it being unlawful for any company to gouge exchange rates like that. They can't 'charge whatever they want' as you put it. Notice that any major company you can name does not do so. Why? because they don't want to get in legal trouble from their customers. and the be clear, they are not 'charging more for their product in another country' they are in fact, 'applying a different exchange rate for a service being purchased in the US' there is a difference. In short, no company is allowed to make up any exchange rate they want. That is why the exchange rate for currencies is federally regulated. ask the Princes store that got nailed for this back in the late 90s in the US. Ironically they were offering a few cents more than the federal level. Not sure why anyone would have complained about that but then again people do weird things.

Personally I don't care as I will not be buying a lifetime account. It is not worth my time to bother filing a complaint about that. Though I am curious as to why cryptic charged $9 on my card without authorization and added several extra days to my sub after doing so. Thats a big no no. Theres also the matter of charging $1 every time I renew my sub without explanation or a statement saying it is being done.

Anyways this is getting off topic so i'll stop there.

and PS: and cryptic, if you want people to buy lifetime accounts, actually do something to to the game to make it worth buying one. theres not enough to come close as it is now.

I'm sorry, I don't believe you talked to a lawyer, because if you did he / she would have told you your wrong. Not trying to be argumentative, but that's a fact - it's got nothing to do with "exchange rates", it's got everything to do with Cryptics decision on how much they wish to price the product in different geographical regions.

Done all the time, not only with hard goods and merchandise but with services too.

Now on topic - if you do the math, a lifetime sub becomes a positive gain upon about the 16 month , if your paying monthly.

That's coming up quite soon for me , and that's the advantage of showing your support and taking advantage of the game - like any investment there's some risk but if enough people decide to take that risk then it becomes no longer a risk, but a positive.

With the reviews, awards won, and content being delivered in the manner it has been, STO will be here for a long time. It's only to your advantage to consider the reduced price of the lifetime.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    TheFreyMan wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I don't believe you talked to a lawyer, because if you did he / she would have told you your wrong. Not trying to be argumentative, but that's a fact - it's got nothing to do with "exchange rates", it's got everything to do with Cryptics decision on how much they wish to price the product in different geographical regions.

Done all the time, not only with hard goods and merchandise but with services too.

Now on topic - if you do the math, a lifetime sub becomes a positive gain upon about the 16 month , if your paying monthly.

That's coming up quite soon for me , and that's the advantage of showing your support and taking advantage of the game - like any investment there's some risk but if enough people decide to take that risk then it becomes no longer a risk, but a positive.

With the reviews, awards won, and content being delivered in the manner it has been, STO will be here for a long time. It's only to your advantage to consider the reduced price of the lifetime.

Yep..., It's kinda like when ya look on the back of Books, Calendars and Cards....

...around here (NY) there's a USA Price and a Canadian Price... ummm.... the Kanook price is always a dollar higher, or more...

I'm not really sure how ya got that ATARI/CRYPTIC was basing their prices on an exchange rate though...

They would just charge a given price for their product... it would be your bank or the credit card company that would be figuring out the differences in the currency rates.... and applying those rates to your Interest/Fees that they charge to your account.

The last time I had a problem with my card online, it was because I forgot that when the card expired and I got the new card, the three digit number on the back had changed. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The truly sad part of this, of all the things in life to worry about getting a lawyer tinvolved because you could not get a life time account to an MMO is just plain pathetic. :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The truly sad part of this, of all the things in life to worry about getting a lawyer tinvolved because you could not get a life time account to an MMO is just plain pathetic. :eek:

This is my quote of the week! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The truly sad part of this, of all the things in life to worry about getting a lawyer tinvolved because you could not get a product or service in excess of a hundred dollars is just plain pathetic. :eek:

Just amended that for truthiness.

Regardless of whether you feel a Lifetime sub is worth bothering about, it's still a substantial financial investment.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just amended that for truthiness.

Regardless of whether you feel a Lifetime sub is worth bothering about, it's still a substantial financial investment.

A hour with a lawyer (with a consultation fee) especially on something lie this (ie a small claims issue to be sure); would probably cost you as much as the LTS. Civil lawyers work two ways - By the hour (which you pay for and yes some corporations pay a monthy retainer fee instead of hourly); or by percentage (ie if you win, the firm takes a percentage of the award as payment.)

Now, on something like this, most laywers won't even take teh call or tell you you're better off trying a small claims case yourself. IF you do get a lawyer to talk to you, I can guarentee he charge you bu the hour (that can average between $250 - $500 per for a decent lawyer - with maybe a $50 - $100 consultation fee if they're nice about it.)

So, yes, by all means engage a laywer over a $320.00 issue. (FYI - This is why peopel and small business try to avoid any lawsuit as, even if you've done nothing wrong it costs major money to either persue a claim, or defend against one.)
  • Options
    doublea2012doublea2012 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    no one in thier right mind woud pay 299 usd for a subscription to this game unless they were just hardup for a ship, when perfect world can get a better score then F from the better buisness B, then maybe is worth 50 usd at this time because of the fact they complelty screwed things up with season 7 update and made half the good players in the game leave or become inactive

STO YOUR LTS IS NOT WORTH WHAT YOU ASK
This discussion has been closed.