What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Next year's story arc to "change the face of the game"

Comments

• Options
    lordmerc22lordmerc22 Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    I hope its some actual content based on Klingons or Romulans

It is definitely two groups that are unhappy, but we dont know what could Gecko mean
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    salvation4 wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    to 100% pull it out of a hat as they already have the base code of a procedural generated exploration system. The hardest part has already been solved by the devs which is the procedural generated maps/areas.

What if instead of starting from 0% they took the old system and modified/expanded/modernised it?
    There was no procedural generation in the old exploration system. All of the maps were pre-made, with pre-set spawn points for enemies and scanable objects, and all of the missions were drawn from a pre-made list of around 300ish different missions.
    But never the less the ground work is there lying in cold storage..
    Genesis was abandoned because it was a buggy mess that didn't work well enough for them to be able to run it live. They'd have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch to get it to work. The most buggy part was the most important, namely the maps themselves.

This sort of stupidity was normal, not exceptional:
    d75tbu1-76a09ef9-bd9b-447b-bcd6-a21e5ce158b0.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzFmYzc2NzczLTk0MWQtNDQzNi04MzM4LTc2NzZlYWE3OTY5Y1wvZDc1dGJ1MS03NmEwOWVmOS1iZDliLTQ0N2ItYmNkNi1hMjFlNWNlMTU4YjAucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.4mB2lLlLXVkU4cEN_JD_xird7G20J0_xVFgRP_Axnpo
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    to 100% pull it out of a hat as they already have the base code of a procedural generated exploration system. The hardest part has already been solved by the devs which is the procedural generated maps/areas.

What if instead of starting from 0% they took the old system and modified/expanded/modernised it?
    There was no procedural generation in the old exploration system. All of the maps were pre-made, with pre-set spawn points for enemies and scanable objects, and all of the missions were drawn from a pre-made list of around 300ish different missions.
    Genesis was abandoned because it was a buggy mess that didn't work well enough for them to be able to run it live. They'd have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch to get it to work. The most buggy part was the most important, namely the maps themselves.

d75tbu1-76a09ef9-bd9b-447b-bcd6-a21e5ce158b0.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzFmYzc2NzczLTk0MWQtNDQzNi04MzM4LTc2NzZlYWE3OTY5Y1wvZDc1dGJ1MS03NmEwOWVmOS1iZDliLTQ0N2ItYmNkNi1hMjFlNWNlMTU4YjAucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.4mB2lLlLXVkU4cEN_JD_xird7G20J0_xVFgRP_Axnpo
    Not that I don't agree on Genesis being a buggy mess, but what kind of stupidity is there in those pictures?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Don't remind me... I had a few instances of enemies spawning UNDER the map, thus making it impossible to complete.
    Throw in the long load times as it generated a map and the very generic "kill 5 mobs" or "scan 5 gubbins" and it does get old. While it was nice to not be all pew pew all the time... there's only so many times you can take before finding artifacts from the 3rd Borg Dynasty gets old.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Don't remind me... I had a few instances of enemies spawning UNDER the map, thus making it impossible to complete.
    Throw in the long load times as it generated a map and the very generic "kill 5 mobs" or "scan 5 gubbins" and it does get old. While it was nice to not be all pew pew all the time... there's only so many times you can take before finding artifacts from the 3rd Borg Dynasty gets old.
    The 3rd Dynasty of the Borg was the funniest bit in the whole system. :D

Which, of course, is saying something about how much fun the system was not.
  • Options
    I don't deny the 3rd Borg Dynasty was funny. But yea... it got stale real fast.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

Not that I don't agree on Genesis being a buggy mess, but what kind of stupidity is there in those pictures?
    I'm standing on the spawn point. 3 of my 4 boffs fell into the pond because the spawn point was only big enough for 2 people. Also the map looked like mud because the RNG colored everything to look like mud.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    MANY instances. "Kill these five Klingons" - all of whom have spawned under the map, meaning they can shoot us, but we can't shoot them. Exploration Clusters, quite frankly, sucked raw dilithium.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    So translating that into STO you could gradually, as you work through the LoR storyline, see the city being finished. Or there could be officers you can speak to who other's can't and vice versa.
    We already have that. Several galaxy map objects have names that change based on story completion. Also the new DS9 has NPCs you can't see until you've done certain story things.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    We already have that. Several galaxy map objects have names that change based on story completion. Also the new DS9 has NPCs you can't see until you've done certain story things.

Problem is they seem to just disappear after the last mission in the Gamma Arc. Not sure if Kai Opaka is still in Hathon's temple though after that. But Kira and Bashir are gone.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Opaka moves to the Temple on Bajor. I see her anytime I do Jabberwocky for an endeavor, and yes, it's on a character that has completed the Gamma arc.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Still missing Kira though.
  • Options
    I was thinking of Odo and Loriss. You don't see them in DS9 until you meet them in a mission.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Loriss is still on DS9, in the Dominion "Embassy" selling Dominion Polaron weapons. Odo is not in the Security Office though.
  • Options
    Loriss is still on DS9, in the Dominion "Embassy" selling Dominion Polaron weapons. Odo is not in the Security Office though.
    Right, but if you've not started ViL you dont' see Loriss there at all :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Right, but if you've not started ViL you dont' see Loriss there at all :p
    In fact, I just took a jog around DS9 with Kevin Timeline, who hasn't done ViL at all, and there isn't even a Dominion Embassy, much less a Loriss in there. Quark is tending bar in his place, though, which Kevin might find strange if he knew the history of the bar at all. (He doesn't, of course, being from the 23rd century. He's still not entirely clear on who these Ferengi even are.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Didn't Kira run off to be with Odo basically? I know Nog is doing peacekeeping missions in Hur'q space, and Rom and Leeta went back to Ferenginar.

As far as I'm aware and recall, Kira could have had any command in the fleet after the Gamma Arc, but chose to stay with DS9. The station had a lot of memories, and it was closer to Odo. I would have expected to see Kira standing around in Ops. While that could mean conflicting with Kurland... maybe she elected to take command of the Defiant. I don't know. All I know is that she chose to stick around DS9.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Can we kill off this 'Alliance' now?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    I don't see them scrapping PvP entirely. As it is now... its available if anyone is interested. Basically its in Maintenance Mode.

Also 1v1 PvP is pretty good for testing how certain things perform in a controlled environment. My fleet does this a lot when we want to see if something is worth the hype or not.

They can't really scrap factions because its something the game was built on. Story wise we can basically merge them, but mechanics wise we're still gonna have the Red vs Blue as trying to remove that might break the game entirely.
  • Options
    xorvxorv Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    "Can we fundamentally undo everything we have worked towards for the lasy 9+years of STO,as well as fundamentaly undo everything that Star Trek stands for!"

No.

Why? The STO narrative has long since shifted away from conflict between players and towards players coming together. PvP is at the threshold of death's door due to gross negligence on Cryptic's part. It will be the next to go. And then they can go ahead and institute a single-faction system that is right in line with the direction they are taking the game. The Galactic Union.

No, No, No.

We have been hearing about the death of PvP in STO since I started playing, it's not any closer to "death" this year than it was last year. All that being said the existence of PvP is not the only reason the factions are separate. Klingons and the Federation have very different lore and flavor. Every time I roll a new Fed character (and eventually delete it) I'm reminded of just how F'n annoying the Federation dialogue is to me, there's only so much I can stomach.

"Everything Star Trek stands for" ??? I think you mean everything the Federation in Star Trek stands for. Granted the stories of Star Trek tend to revolve around the Federation, but making the whole known galaxy the Federation is NOT Star Trek, and would make for a rather boring TV show or movie.

I don't think everything Cryptic has done in the last 9 years has been to form a single player faction and create a narrative of a "Galactic Union". That's just a ridiculous claim. Cryptic won't gain any players by doing something so stupid, but they may lose a few.

• Options
    xorv wrote: »
    "Can we fundamentally undo everything we have worked towards for the lasy 9+years of STO,as well as fundamentaly undo everything that Star Trek stands for!"

No.

Why? The STO narrative has long since shifted away from conflict between players and towards players coming together. PvP is at the threshold of death's door due to gross negligence on Cryptic's part. It will be the next to go. And then they can go ahead and institute a single-faction system that is right in line with the direction they are taking the game. The Galactic Union.

No, No, No.

We have been hearing about the death of PvP in STO since I started playing, it's not any closer to "death" this year than it was last year. All that being said the existence of PvP is not the only reason the factions are separate. Klingons and the Federation have very different lore and flavor. Every time I roll a new Fed character (and eventually delete it) I'm reminded of just how F'n annoying the Federation dialogue is to me, there's only so much I can stomach.

"Everything Star Trek stands for" ??? I think you mean everything the Federation in Star Trek stands for. Granted the stories of Star Trek tend to revolve around the Federation, but making the whole known galaxy the Federation is NOT Star Trek, and would make for a rather boring TV show or movie.

I don't think everything Cryptic has done in the last 9 years has been to form a single player faction and create a narrative of a "Galactic Union". That's just a ridiculous claim. Cryptic won't gain any players by doing something so stupid, but they may lose a few.
    The only reason the factions are separate is they programmed them separate 10 years ago and it would be too expensive/too much work to undo it now.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User

Another factor seems to be that many people play more than one game at once (I tend to rotate between STO, ESO, Black Desert, and occasionally NW and Defiance for instance) and often come here to get away from PvP for a few hours (or more). For instance, in Black Desert there is no endgame without overequipped gankers getting their jollies from randomly making the crafters miserable, or squabbles over mob hunting spots making play toxic. STO is more about tinkering with builds and PvE which is a good vacation from the vitriol.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    xorv wrote: »

No.

No, No, No.

The only reason the factions are separate is they programmed them separate 10 years ago and it would be too expensive/too much work to undo it now.

Actually I've recently made a friend with a coder and after he took a look at the game's code he found it would be pretty easy to unify factions, There isn't very much actually seperating them now, and he suggests that either they don't feel like putting in the effort to unify them, or they might be afraid of player backlash for making all factions unified.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
This discussion has been closed.