What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    rumblep wrote: »
    concidering CBS is now in a law suit over this show, id personally advise not doing this particular expansion any further... seems somebody borrowed ideas without permission.
    The case (should it ever be filed)

Snipped most of Duncan's reply cause I'm only responding to this bit. There has been a court case filed, actually, should be a response from CBS within the next few weeks (they have 20 days to reply). I think the case has little merit myself.

Problem is, the Lawyers filing said case for the Plaintiff DIDN'T file it properly (They're suing the wrong corporate entity plus numerous other filing omissions and mistakes); and one of the Lawyers has yet to pay his New York Bar Fees (Meaning legally, he's not licensed to practice Law in New York State currently, where the case was filed.)

The court has ordered the party involved to file an amended complaint correcting the various errors, but until they do so, and it meets the court's filing standards, CBS technically hasn't been notified officially yet, so they have no need to respond at the current time.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    hikarufox wrote: »
    NO Thank you ! Disco Star Trek: Voyager is NOT Star Trek, call it a good sci-fi show yes, Star Trek NO ! Also call thsoe THINGS whatever you want but they are NOT Klingons ! I want nothing to do with anything Disso related, it's an insult to Star Trek !
    ^^^
    FTFY ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Problem is, the Lawyers filing said case for the Plaintiff DIDN'T file it properly (They're suing the wrong corporate entity plus numerous other filing omissions and mistakes); and one of the Lawyers has yet to pay his New York Bar Fees (Meaning legally, he's not licensed to practice Law in New York State currently, where the case was filed.)

The court has ordered the party involved to file an amended complaint correcting the various errors, but until they do so, and it meets the court's filing standards, CBS technically hasn't been notified officially yet, so they have no need to respond at the current time.

bahahahahaaa__rainbow_dash_laugh_by_misteralex-d515muw.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    hikarufox wrote: »
    "NO Thank you ! Disco Star Trek: Voyager Babylon 5 is NOT Star Trek, call it a good sci-fi show yes, Star Trek NO ! Also call thsoe THINGS whatever you want but they are NOT Klingons ! I want nothing everything to do with anything Disso Voyo Babylo related, it's an insult a glorious honor to Star Trek the Centauri Republic !"
    Not a Klingon.
    0000266493.jpg

FTFY ;)

FTFYT ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    stunthewombatstunthewombat Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Love STO, I have been playing for a for a few years now and its the only MMO i play cause i love the space combat. Star Trek Discovery however is not a good representation of Star Trek itself. Although ive watched all of the previous series i dont call myself a trekkie cause i love all well writen sci fi. Which discovery is not. To write good science fiction you need to first understand science. So while I'll keep playing STO, I dont really care about the new discovery content coming. IF you want to see a good show that understands science, go watch The Expanse.
    And plz before anyone tries to flame me over saying that the writers of discovery know nothing about science, go find out why Star Trek Discovery is being sued.
    When discovery was first announced, even being set before TOS, i thought I would give it a chance cause of my love of sci fi. After watching it all, it rates as one of the worst sci fi shows ever. I watched it on Netflix and was glad i didnt have to pay CBS all access for it.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    And plz before anyone tries to flame me over saying that the writers of discovery know nothing about science, go find out why Star Trek Discovery is being sued.

We have, it's a topic covered here and elsewhere on the forums. It's not wise to question your fellows' knowledge of a given topic while displaying an inability to at least vet your sources. Note that in scientific review we value primary source material above secondary or tertiary. And in this case the primary material simply doesn't support the case either from the internal facts of the game or when claimed material was made public to the internet (relative to DSC.)

And to write good science fiction you do not need to understand science (ie. a process of investigation capable of replication.) You need to be able to extrapolate the human condition under a state change, that's all (and paraphrasing Asimov.) Sometimes concepts from scientific disciplines are invoked in Sci-fi for granular world building (so its state change can be effectively described to the reader using available rhetorical means) but these are not essential for good sci-fi or a consistent feature of great sci-fi (ex. Douglas Adams and Spider Robinson [in Callahan's]. Adams may have gained a rich appreciation for conservation biology later in life but in his writing he subverts the use of scientific micro-lectures for comedic effect.)

Conflating the two (science and sci-fi) is a popular misconception and an ill-advised place to start trying to evaluate the relative qualities of sci-fi properties (because focusing on how often they quote factoids doesn't tell you much about their story telling.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    Not only that... Star Trek spaceflight is only SEMI Neutonian, where starships have to bank in order to turn. Something that in reality is not necessary, but looks cool on screen. Neutonian physics as it applies to space travel would say one does not need to change orientation as if they were in atmosphere. Better examples of Neutonian Physics in space travel can be seen in the reboot Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5. And maybe in The Expanse. I haven't seen it so I don't know for sure. One of the best examples of Neutonian Physics in gaming though... is actually Wing Commander. While fighters can turn, its not the swooping banks we see X-Wings do in Star Wars.

Wing Commander fighters are rated in DPS (Degrees Per Second) on YPR (Yaw/Pitch/Roll). Also maneuvers such as the Afterburner Slide are possible as a fighter can accelerate, then cut thrust and turn, effectively using Lock Trajectory in STO terms.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Would you like to know more?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    1de.gif
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    I just want to say that I'm really getting stoked and hyped for AoD, literally can't wait for it to be released. Having the game run such content at the same time I watch the show adds a special flavor. I really like some of the aesthetics of TRIBBLE and having CBS so closely on board with this in the game feels awesome for STO.

I don't think I've been so enthusiastic about a game addition ever since LoR. Well, expect the addition of the Cardassians and Cardassian ships - but that goes without saying. ;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    Yup. I'm excited to see what they bring in. So...
    th?id=OIP.JTiYCvu4RFYVPpdmHCpuNwHaEb
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yup. I'm excited to see what they bring in. So...
    th?id=OIP.JTiYCvu4RFYVPpdmHCpuNwHaEb

Is this from "The Emperor's new school" ?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    Actually that was from the original movie The Emperor's New Groove.
  • Options
    Best cartton(s) ever. :D So entertaining to watch even as a grown up.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    I miss shows like Darkwing Duck. But then again... I'm a 90s guy. Back when Cartoons actually were GOOD and not frickin'... whatever we got now.
  • Options
    kesselrunner#0768 kesselrunner Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    I'm a little disappointed. STO was the last vestige of unadulterated Star Trek available to us. I wasn't impressed by Discovery's treatment of the Federation, the Klingons or of the characterization of people who were supposed to be members of this little thing called Starfleet.

They say that they're going to make season two fit more in line with the established universe. I'm curious about how they'll go about doing that, because it seems impossible at this moment. If they do manage it, I'll be impressed.

I admit though, if STO has a part to play in that process and it works out, I may end up being a little bit happier about it. :smile:
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2018
    When does Age of Discovery actually Launch I guess I missed that part. I saw some earlier announcements in late July and the recent one about Tier VI Reputations.

I know when some of us talked about adding a few extra projects to existing REP's about 9-12 months ago; then it was mostly to expand some available options. For example: Romulan Reputation doesn't have a Ground Armor set, and it be nice to see a Romulan Republic Tactical outfit.

Still I think I'll remain mostly hopeful that Tier VI introduces some excitement... and a few more options for various players to pursue. I think the free fleet module for every character will obtain's at Tier VI is quite a generous reward. My goodness, if they just added 1 new project at Tier VI that be nice, thought I would have liked to seen 2-3 new low Rep projects to round out or expand some REP options.

Would die to see a Romulan Republic Tactical outfit with full Tailor unlock! OMG I'd die. ;)
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    strathkin wrote: »
    When does Age of Discovery actually Launch I guess I missed that part.

Fall. That's all we know at this time.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    shpoks wrote: »
    I just want to say that I'm really getting stoked and hyped for AoD, literally can't wait for it to be released. Having the game run such content at the same time I watch the show adds a special flavor. I really like some of the aesthetics of TRIBBLE and having CBS so closely on board with this in the game feels awesome for STO.

I don't think I've been so enthusiastic about a game addition ever since LoR. Well, expect the addition of the Cardassians and Cardassian ships - but that goes without saying. ;)

Last night I played the "what ships am I most hoping for?" game. That's when I got my most definite thrill of anticipation for Discovery content beyond the hugglebug unveil at STLV.

Shepard class and Qugh class came out on top. The Klingon designs are challenging, the Qugh very much so (it's the one with gold piping and dual carburetors :tongue:), but that's I'm finding what I most like about these designs (they are very definitely new and there is something of the experience of sitting down with the Star Trek Encyclopedia comparison charts for the first time as a kid.)

For those wanting to play along, I've been referencing the eaglemoss DSC collection:
    eagle_allships.jpg
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • Options
    jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    > @duncanidaho11 said:
    > shpoks wrote: »
    >
    > I just want to say that I'm really getting stoked and hyped for AoD, literally can't wait for it to be released. Having the game run such content at the same time I watch the show adds a special flavor. I really like some of the aesthetics of TRIBBLE and having CBS so closely on board with this in the game feels awesome for STO.
    >
    > I don't think I've been so enthusiastic about a game addition ever since LoR. Well, expect the addition of the Cardassians and Cardassian ships - but that goes without saying. ;)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Last night I played the "what ships am I most hoping for?" game. That's when I got my most definite thrill of anticipation for Discovery content beyond the hugglebug unveil at STLV.
    >
    > Shepard class and Qugh class came out on top. The Klingon designs are challenging, the Qugh very much so (it's the one with gold piping and dual carburetors :tongue:), but that's I'm finding what I most like about these designs (they are very definitely new and there is something of the experience of sitting down with the Star Trek Encyclopedia comparison charts for the first time as a kid.)
    >
    > For those wanting to play along, I've been referencing the eaglemoss DSC collection: (Spoiler)

Im hoping for a Yeager class and the shepherd class. Zen banked already for launch day
  • Options

Last night I played the "what ships am I most hoping for?" game. That's when I got my most definite thrill of anticipation for Discovery content beyond the hugglebug unveil at STLV.

Shepard class and Qugh class came out on top. The Klingon designs are challenging, the Qugh very much so (it's the one with gold piping and dual carburetors :tongue:), but that's I'm finding what I most like about these designs (they are very definitely new and there is something of the experience of sitting down with the Star Trek Encyclopedia comparison charts for the first time as a kid.)

For those wanting to play along, I've been referencing the eaglemoss DSC collection:
    eagle_allships.jpg

To be perfectly honest, I'm not so much into the DISCO ship designs - only the Crossfield, Walker and maaaybe Nimitz classes from the Starfleet roster and the Bird of Prey from the Klingon roster are appealing to me.
    The Crossfield is a lockbox ship, but I almost have the credits for the D4X BoP that I simply adore and as a KDF main must get at all costs (plus her interior is really nice as well), so the Crossfield is out of the equation for now - however I'm slowly crawling towards the necessary lobi sum for the Walker Class (the one I actually like the most from the DISCO collection), which I think I'll be able to get just in time when my new AoD character will be able to use a T6 ship. I'm eager to see if season 2 of DISCO brings some cool new ship designs and if STO makes them more readily available via the Zen Store, maybe there'll be a design I really like.....maybe the DISCO Connie, Cryptic? ;)

What I do love, however, are the uniforms (even the TOS themed ones that DISCO Pike was wearing), the armors and away team equipment, weapons, interior aesthetics and such. I look forward to playing around with some of those in the game.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    I think that Veqlargh class is probably the most Klingon out of all of those models. Would make a decent cruiser. Two of the others, the Daspu and Bsilh looks like they'd make good freighters honestly.

Fed side I'll take the Cardenas, Sheppard, and Nimitz.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    I also hope they continue eventually with more VIL episode/content. (I am still holing out for that playable votra scientist).​​

They'd have to customize it to allow a different version of the tutorial/beginning story arc for Vorta to be player characters. It'd be great to bring back Jeffery Combs to reprise role of Weyoun for voice work for the Vorta player character version. Having two viewpoints between Weyoun and Loriss to convince the player to side with them; intrigue and diplomacy :)
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    > @captaincelestial said:
    > terranempire#7881 wrote: »
    >
    > I also hope they continue eventually with more VIL episode/content. (I am still holing out for that playable votra scientist).​​
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They'd have to customize it to allow a different version of the tutorial/beginning story arc for Vorta to be player characters. It'd be great to bring back Jeffery Combs to reprise role of Weyoun for voice work for the Vorta player character version. Having two viewpoints between Weyoun and Loriss to convince the player to side with them; intrigue and diplomacy :)

The story would make the decision for you sadly, which is a shame because I like Weyoun. I really hope they make it happen.

And yikes those Klingon Discovery ships look hideous IMO. You wouldn't even think they were Klingon at first glance. More like random blob of the week alien ship. None of them (apart from Veqlargh & sarcophagus) share any cosmetic similarities. Bird of prey.... Looks ok. Still not very Kling. Yep... Hate them. Sarcophagus is the only one that is remotely appealing and distinctive.

Feds look nice and consistent. You wouldn't mistake them. Love the walker class.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    I think that Veqlargh class is probably the most Klingon out of all of those models. Would make a decent cruiser. Two of the others, the Daspu and Bsilh looks like they'd make good freighters honestly.

Fed side I'll take the Cardenas, Sheppard, and Nimitz.

The Bstlh Class reminds me of something straight out of 'Flash Gordon' and something from the first half of the past century in terms of space sci-fi. Given that I'm kinda' a fan of the sci-fi and designs from that period, the Bstlh may even grow on me and be interesting to play in. We'd have to see how it's implemented in the game, but it might have a unique retro vibe on the KDF side that could make it work.

As for now, the Walker Class is still my primary goal for the 'Age of Discovery' expansion ship-wise, but I do hope they surprise us with a new design (Cryptic and CBS both) that would make it in the Z-Store.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The Bstlh looks like an Orion ship to me. The other? not really Klingon, but pretty cool.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    As for now, the Walker Class is still my primary goal for the 'Age of Discovery' expansion ship-wise, but I do hope they surprise us with a new design (Cryptic and CBS both) that would make it in the Z-Store.

Good luck getting the Walker. She's a great ship. If I didn't have one, I'd be flying my Command Assault Cruiser.