test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
It's time for the Age of Discovery! This fall, Star Trek Online takes our first steps into the world of Star Trek: Discovery. Adventure with Mary Wiseman in a brand new continuing story!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10962253-star-trek-online:-age-of-discovery

Comments

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    *Kitty Gasms...*
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Does this mean a Discovery recruit event? Sure smells like it normal-1.gif​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Or the Nimitz class? Will we see it becoming available?
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    While this is not exactly the time period of this old person, it's positive that you don't get locked into one, as such.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I don't know how excited I am to be making another new character, or to be playing through the... 'interesting' world of Discovery's rubber Klingons and self-insert siblings to existing main characters, but hey, I'm always excited for new STO content.

Tier 6 reputations sounds a bit...grindy. We've already got a billion reps to go through, and now there's going to be another stage that'll take even longer to get through. Compound that with an entirely new rep on new characters and...It's disconcerting, to say the least.
  • xavierstormxavierstorm Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Does this mean players will have access to a playable Crossfield Class ship?
    Xavier Storm
    Fleet Admiral
    Commanding Officer,
    USS Defiance NCC 1699-A

United Temporal Agents
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2018

We already do, through the discovery lock box. What's referenced is exploring the USS Glen while listing off other locations from the series. IE. an episode.

Presumably before it went all twisty.

Which can mean only one thing, because there's practically only one major story that took place there (which the series didn't cover in much detail.)

*Makes excited Tardigrade noises*

Anyway, you can bet that other Discovery era ships will be made available through the C-store (see. Agents of Yesterday).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    OMG yes!!! I can’t wait. Absolutely love discovery
  • betanembetanem Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    No thanks.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    new reputations that expand the game’s Reputation System to Tier 6

No, no, no, no, no!
    a new Task Force Operation to defend Starbase 1

So we're the reason the Klingons capture this then?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    !

Now this is surprising. Leaving actual story speculation aside for the moment, I would however put forth my .02cr on what would be welcome with respect to gameplay-related content:

• promoting the DSC ground weapons to a full 'family' - that is, a complete roster of rifles, pistols, and heavy weapons (the Kelvin weapons are also overdue for this);
    • DSC!Terran regalia - also overdue, as is the partial-armor variant of the Starfleet uniform;
    • reputation system expansion - quite aside from what Tier 6 might unlock (perhaps making rep sets free for other characters on an account once purchased, like event ships?) many existing sets would only benefit from additions. Specifically, cores for the engine/deflector/shield sets (as was done with Absolute Zero); and weapon choices for the weapon/weapon/console sets (for example, being able to choose between a dual cannon or dual beam bank for Nukara Appropriated Munitions - some mission rewards sets already do this)
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    1.) No no no! We said we wanted more exploration in the game, not discovery.

2.) Ya got an error in your blog "Discovery era" should be "Discovery timeline".

3.) I guess this is why ViL is such a tiny Season?

4.) Season 1 of Star Trek: Discovery is now available on CBS All Access (paywall)
    Back in my day... TV shows were free and you paid for games! :|

5.) I play 2 MMOS and have a hard time finding sufficient time for both, but if STO goes full on TRIBBLE stupid, it might make finding time easier. If you catch my meaning. :'(
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    So it’s AoY 2.0.?
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2018

We already do, through the discovery lock box. What's referenced is exploring the USS Glen while listing off other locations from the series. IE. an episode.

Presumably before it went all twisty.

Which can mean only one thing, because there's practically only one major story that took place there (which the series didn't cover in much detail.)

*Makes excited Tardigrade noises*

Anyway, you can bet that other Discovery era ships will be made available through the C-store (see. Agents of Yesterday).

Who knows, maybe we're getting playable Tardigrades :tongue:
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • dmb311dmb311 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    I need to fight beside Mirror Universe Captain Killy!
  • ibukeeibukee Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    NO , this is NOT Star Trek !
    Are you trying to drive half the playerbase off?! Because that's how you drive half the playerbase off.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    I *do* miss the exploration clusters.

*drags a horse skeleton along the dusty road*

Carry on. ;-)
  • grayfrethgrayfreth Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Dont know how excited I am about this and just find myself hoping it isnt a huge mistake. Discovery is by FAR my least desirable to watch StarTrek series. I find myself uninvested and not caring about any of its characters and the spore drive is just universe breaking. The Discovery Lock Box was even among the least interesting to me. I hope this goes over better than i'm expecting and i hope its a small few mission piece of STO.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    This is relevant to my interests.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Well, I suppose this leads to the close future stability of the game/Trek franchise overall.

But TRIBBLE if I'm supposed to like that monstrosity of TRIBBLE...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    So it’s AoY 2.0.?

More like AoY 0.5. The starting events of AoY happened after TRIBBLE.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • dagooxdagoox Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    But how will I finish the missions without all-Mikey Spock in the world of Discovery?!
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I don't watch Discovery. I was hesitant to pay for it at the outset, and after all I've heard, well, I'm glad I didn't waste the money. :/

Not gonna be a fun expansion for me as such. ViL was great, if too short.
    toiva wrote: »
    Well, I suppose this leads to the close future stability of the game/Trek franchise overall.

But **** if I'm supposed to like that monstrosity of TRIBBLE...

This, really. Though I question how much close future stability it'll provide.​​
  • cyclonus439cyclonus439 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    jordan3550 wrote: »
    OMG yes!!! I can’t wait. Absolutely love discovery

• allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    Does this mean a Discovery recruit event? Sure smells like it normal-1.gif​​

I sure as hell hope not, I'm sick of making a new toon for the sake of making a new toon. No I don't want to experience another fracking profession, no I don't want to sink millions of EC and Dil into another toon that I WON'T PLAY past account unlocks and no I don't care what you think or say. It's TRIBBLE, not Disco, Disco died in the 70s and should remain there. I have my main toon, with all the dumb alts for account unlocks, I don't play them anymore and don't want to, I play my main and let my alts rot.
  • ibukeeibukee Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Flaming/trolling removed.

ConcreteVagueCobra-size_restricted.gif

Knock it off. — StarSword-C
    Post edited by starswordc on
  • hardsalehardsale Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    in the legendery words of quark

"NO NO NO this is your worst idea yet"
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I've never been more nauseated at something in STO.
    No, thanks.
    I couldn't get past the first half of the season, it's awful, and not Trek.
    At least Enterprise didn't completely retcon TOS.

I will take JJ-Trek over this. I enjoyed it much more and at least it didn't try to break canon.

That said... Reputation Tier 6?
    Post edited by phoenix841 on
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).